Act 1: Fourth Step

Progressive

He knows that his Hyesung hyung has a tendency to become sickeningly affectionate when drunk. Ask Eric, or Dongwan, or Minwoo, or basically anyone that had drank with Hyesung hyung before. It’s a common knowledge that after the fourth shot or so Hyesung hyung would be too lost to properly control his affectionate urges.

Hyesung hyung is plastered to his side, an arm wraps around his shoulder while the other is set firmly around his waist. Hyesung hyung’s murmuring near unintelligible words of adoration into his shirt, and Andy’s cheeks would’ve burned a bright pink if it isn’t for the fact that he’s used to it already. It isn’t the first time Hyesung hyung hangs around him like a koala while saying simultaneous ‘I love you’s or ‘you’re so adorable’s into the crook of his neck. It’s less embarrassing and more amusing to Andy.

“Okay, I think Pilgyo’s had enough to drink for the night,” Eric laughs as Hyesung continues to shower Andy with slurred praises and words of admiration. Hyesung’s hair tickles the underside of his chin, and his nose digs into the dip of Andy’s shoulder. Like this, it’s like Andy’s the older one and Hyesung is the younger one—desperately clinging to his hyung for affection.

The mental image coaxes an amused snort out of Andy and Andy tries to pry the older man off of him. “Hyung, I can’t breathe.”

There’s a soft whine of protest as Hyesung’s notably pliant body is lifted off of Andy. Hyesung struggles in the grip, but soon slackens against Junjin’s strong arms. With a wink to Andy and a not-so-sober giggle, Junjin hefts Hyesung onto his shoulder like a potato sack and parades him around the room, regaling tales of ‘nabbing a wild Jung Pilgyo out in the deep jungles of Africa.’ Andy laughs and leans back on the couch, letting Dongwan use his lap as a pillow as he snuggles close.

“Having fun, Andy-yah?”

Dongwan’s slurred words rouse Andy from the raucous spectacle in front of him, and he beams even though his cheeks have started hurting from smiling too much. He really loves his friends, Andy thinks.

“I am. Are you having fun, Dongwan hyung?”

Dongwan’s laughter is loud and unexpected, but Andy supposes he’s not all that surprised considering how giddy Dongwan seems.

“I am, I am! But Hyesungie was hogging you all night and I was feeling lonely without my little Andy.”

“Hyesung hyung is drunk, of course he’d latch onto anything breathing next to him,” Andy placates, like a parent to a child.

“No, no, not that…I mean he’s, like, always next to you and stuff all night. He says he misses hanging out with you, you know. You shouldn’t ignore your elders like that Andy-yah…”

Dongwan trails off with a snort of laughter as he sees that Hyesung has finally freed himself from being Junjin’s prized trophy and is now sulking in a corner while nursing an open bottle of soju. Meanwhile, Andy mulls over Dongwan’s words. Has he been ignoring Hyesung? Not intentionally, that’s for sure, but he does note that the only time they’ve had a worthwhile bonding experience was when Hyesung dragged him out for shopping and food, and Andy ended up buying just as many silly things as Hyesung did. And that had been months ago.

A pang of guilt strikes Andy all at once. It isn’t often that the ever prideful Hyesung would admit to missing anyone, even if he’s much more honest with his feelings when it comes to his group mates. A part of Andy thinks it odd that Hyesung would admit as much to Dongwan. But then again, how much does he know about Jung Pilgyo compared to his hyungs?

Well, maybe it’s time he finds out more.

When everyone’s well and truly hammered (not including Andy because someone has to stay somewhat sober around here) and varying in states of consciousness, Andy approaches Hyesung who’s still in his corner, this time clutching a large cushion in his arms. His eyes blearily follow Andy’s movements, but he makes no other indication of acknowledging Andy’s presence.

“Hyesung hyung,” Andy whispers gently, putting a hand on Hyesung’s shoulder, “You shouldn’t sleep on the floor. You’ll catch a cold.”

Hyesung pouts—Andy wants to laugh because his alcohol-addled mind thinks it’s adorable—and turns away from Andy. He says, in a sleepy mumble, “Don’t care.”

Andy shakes Hyesung’s shoulder and attempts to pry him away from the cushion. “Come on, hyung, don’t be stubborn.”

Of course, as Andy expected, Hyesung continues to be stubborn. “No, you ignored me all night so I don’t want to listen to you.”

“Come on, hyung, that’s not true…” Andy trails off into a giggle, “You know I won’t ever ignore you.”

“Then…then why don’t we hang out more often? Do you hate your hyung?”

Andy gives up on trying to move Hyesung and ends up sprawled on top of Hyesung’s side, liking the feel of the solid warmth under him. He closes his eyes and hums nonchalantly, “Of course not, hyung, I love you.”

“Do you? Really?”

“Really really.”

“Then,” Hyesung turns and Andy ends up lying on top of Hyesung’s abdomen, his face firmly planted into the giant cushion, “Hang out with me more. Answer all my texts and calls. And—and…”

“You’re being so clingy, hyung,” Andy laughs, feeling sleepy all of a sudden.

“I can’t help it, I feel lonely...”

Andy doesn’t hear the rest of Hyesung’s words, having fallen fast asleep on top of his hyung. But he remembers the words he did hear the very next morning, and he makes a silent resolve to hang out more with his Hyesung hyung.


A/N: I'm making them sound like drunkards once every few chapters and I don't know why I don't regret anything. Alcohol is interesting, it makes you loose-lipped and honest. So it'll play a huge part in getting our proud Hyesungie and reserved Andy actually be honest with their feelings. On another note, I am almost out of my completed, pre-written chapters. So uh, I hope you're not too attached to the daily updates. So sorry.