Act 1: First Step

Progressive

Hyesung has his arm wrapped around Andy’s torso as they descend from the stage.

It’s another successful concert, they all think. And a round of applause erupts in the backstage for all of them—the coordinators, stage crew, Shinhwa members, everyone—for a job well done. Hyesung hyung is still right next to him, and an arm snakes its way back around his shoulders once the applause dies down. Andy can’t stop smiling. Neither can Hyesung hyung, or any of his other hyungs. The adrenaline still courses through his veins, and Eric hyung calls all the members in for a private celebration in his hotel room.

They all have their own hotel rooms—spacious rooms with queen-sized beds, large TVs, and impressive bathrooms—but more often than not they like to sleep in one room, on one big bed. It reminds them of the times they would have a sleepover on the living room of their dorm when they were still young and fresh faces in the industry, Andy thinks. The ensuing chaos and noise now isn’t far different from then, but with the addition of alcohol and a mountain of snacks, it can only get worse as the night goes on.

Andy decides to sit out on most of the alcohol—so does Hyesung hyung—and watches as the rest of the members become more inebriated as the seconds tick by. All of them can hold their alcohol relatively well, and it’s only after the fourth (or maybe fifth? Andy lost count) bottle is drained do they start completely losing themselves.

“Andy, Andy! Why aren’t you drinking? Come on, join the party!”

Eric hyung starts talking in a drunken slur of English and Korean, and that’s when Andy knows Eric hyung should stop drinking. Actually, they all should clean up and stop drinking right about then. Junjin hyung’s a giggling mess on the floor, Dongwan hyung looks like he’s about to fall asleep then and there, and Minwoo hyung’s babbling incoherently about one thing or another. Andy knows those four are going to have the worst hangovers in the morning.

“I think that’s enough for the night, Eric hyung.” He says lightly, taking an unopened bottle away from Eric’s reach.

The older man whines in disappointment and tries to get the bottle back, but Hyesung is, thankfully, on Andy’s side and stops him by the shoulders. “Come on, Eric. It’s getting really late and our flight’s pretty early.”

Some sober part of Eric’s brain seems to register the information, and acquiesces with a reluctant nod. Hyesung and Andy struggles to lift all four, heavy, bodies of their drunk members onto Eric’s bed, but at least they put up little fight. Hyesung covers them all with the crisp white linen blankets and tucks them all in.

“I’m going to go sleep in my own room tonight,” Hyesung announces—once all the other members are sound asleep and tucked in bed, “The bed’s too cramped and I don’t want to sleep squished between a bunch of drunks. Are you going to sleep here?”

Andy replies with a nod of his head. “Yeah. Someone’s going to have to deal with them first in the morning.”

“Oh.” Hyesung seems thoughtful for a moment, “Will you need help? Should I sleep here too?”

“It’s okay, hyung. I can handle it.”

Hyesung eyes him critically, but later shrugs. Andy knows he usually puts up a better fight than this—especially since it’s concerning leaving the maknae to take care of four drunk members—but weariness can dull anyone’s kindness and patience. Some part of Andy wants Hyesung to stay too so they can suffer together, but this is Hyesung. Hyesung’s always nice and coddling towards him and Andy feels slightly (only slightly) guilty if he adds burden onto Hyesung’s shoulders.

“Alright then,” Hyesung says, ruffling Andy’s hair before he makes his leave, “Good night, Andy.”

“Good night, hyung.”

The door closes with a click and Andy sighs. He looks to his sleeping members—sprawled out on the bed and taking up most of the space—and decides that he’s going to sleep on the couch.


 

A/N: Brief note that I intend this story to be progressive. So we're going to have a lot more of these establishing chapters before any actual Syungdy comes in. But let me tell you now, when the Syungdy comes, it'll be steamy.
        Also, I plan to have each chapter be longer than the last, but we'll see how that turns out HAHA