Chapter 7

I'm Sorry

Joong Ki's POV

She smiled a little, then looked away immediately.

"Wae? Is something wrong?" I asked, frowning.

She shook her head.

"Let's get you back to your ward so that I can go check on my mother," She said softly.

"Okay," I agreed.

She walked me back to my ward and helped me lie down. She put my drip back into place and made a final check.

"I'm leaving," She said, as she stood by my bed.

"Take care," I stared into her eyes.

She nods her head but doesn't move.

"Help me tell your mother to get well soon," I said.

She nods and stares at me for a while more.

Just as I was about to say something, she turns and leave.

"She's so confusing," I smiled to myself.

Just then, my phone vibrates. I answered it.

"Sir," I said.

"Where are you? You got something to do," My commander said.

I cleared my throat and said, "Hospital, Sir."

"Are you healthy enough to help out?" He asked.

"Yes, Sir," I said.

"We will see you at the headquarters in twenty minutes from now," He said.

"Yes, Sir!" I answered and he hung up the phone.

I pulled out the drip and changed into my home clothes. There must be something urgent happening. I ran out of the hospital, leaving a hundred dollars on top of my hospital clothes.

As I was running out of this ward, a VIP ward, I heard someone crying. If I wasn't rushing for time, I would have stopped to lend a listening ear. But not now. I took a look at my watch. 3:04am. It definitely must be an emergency.

I ran out of the hospital and flagged for a cab. I got up and told the driver where I was heading to, and told him to hurry. It was 3:25am when I ran into the headquarters.

"One minute late, Captain," The commander said.

"I'm sorry," I apologized.

"At ease. Gather around me," The commander said.

Everyone relaxed and looked at each other.

"Your team, Team Alpha, will be sent to a refugee camp in South Africa," My commander said.

I blinked a few times at him.

"Why? Is there a problem, Captain?" He asked.

"No, Sir," I answered.

"Spend time with your family and friends, as well as girlfriend. You will be leaving the day after tomorrow, at nine in the morning. If there's nothing, you may go. Captain Song, Sergeant Jin and Lieutenant Kim, I need to talk to you.

I turned to look at Jin Goo and Ji Won. The couple don't seem surprised. I cleared my throat and stepped forward.

"Captain, are you against me or with me?" He asked.

My eyes fell to the ground.

Years ago, when I was still training in the army, the commander told me that he would like me as his son-in-law. And yes, his daughter is Ji Won. But she likes another guy, who is my best friend. Jin Goo.

"Captain?" The commander called me.

"Ne?" I looked up at him.

"We have been fighting this war for years, no?" He said, looking at the three of us.

"I'm very sorry, but I see Lieutenant Kim as only a friend," I said.

"Really?" He asked.

"Yes, Sir," I answered.

"You may leave," He sighed.

I gave Jin Goo and Ji Won an encouraging smile and left the room.

 

 

 

Ji Won's POV

"Captain, are you against me or with me?" Father asked, after everyone left.

My head instantly shot up. I gulped. Joong Ki seemed to have spaced out. Not now... Don't space out now...

"Captain?" My father called.

"Ne?" Joong Ki responded.

I wasn't sure if he was acting or if that was real.

My father stared at the three of us and said, "We have been fighting this war for years, no?"

My heart broke a little, going against my father. My only father.

Joong Ki took a deep breath before answering my father.

"I'm very sorry, but I see Lieutenant Kim as only a friend," He said.

I felt a sense of relief.

"Really?" My father asked, sounding disappointed.

"Yes, Sir," Joong Ki answered.

My father sighed and gave Joong Ki permission to leave. Before leaving, he gave Jin Goo and I a smile which seems to encourage me.

"Lieutenant Kim?" My father called.

"Yes, Sir," I answered.

"Daughter," My father called softly.

I looked at him.

My father sighed again.

"Do you really love him?" Father asked me.

I nodded my head.

"Do you really love her?" Father asked Jin Goo.

Jin Goo held my hand and answered, "Yes, Sir."

"Lieutenant Kim, wait outside," My father said.

I shook my head.

"Gwaenchana, just wait outside," Jin Goo held my hand a little tighter before releasing it.

After a while, I decided to listen to my father. I went out and waited outside.

I looked around for Joong Ki, but he was nowhere to be seen. After a few minutes, Jin Goo came out of my father's office. He hugged me tight.

"He approved?" I asked, before hugging back.

"He approved," Jin Goo said.

I hugged him back.

 

 

 


Joong Ki's POV

The moment I left the commander's office, I rushed home for sleep. By that time, it was already about 4:30am. On the bus ride back, I texted Hye Kyo.

"Let's meet later. 1pm." I texted.

Almost immediately, she replied, "Sure. Hospital cafe alright for you?"

"Guess you knew I left." I replied.

"Yes, I do." She replied.

I was so tired that I didn't reply her. In my head, I already knew how I was going to end things with her. And it hurts. I looked out of the bus window and thought about how we first met. Thanks to my brother, I got to meet her.

I sighed, and wondered how my life would be like if I wasn't a soldier. Would I still be able to meet Hye Kyo? Would our paths cross?