Chapter 4

I'm Sorry

Joong Ki's POV

I got home and went for a shower. After that, I went to my room and lied down. Will mum like her? Will dad like her? Will my family accept her? I sighed and turned to my side. I looked at the clock. 2:15am. I wonder what she could be doing now. Surgery again? Or is she rushing to finish up her reports? Or... Checking on patients? Or sleeping? I took my phone and went into my chat with her.

"Are you awake?" I typed and hit the send button.

"Maybe she'll see it only tomorrow morning," I told myself.

My phone beeped.

"Yes," Was her reply.

I dialled her number and waited for her to pick up the call.

"Ne, Joong Ki-sshi," She answered.

"Are you still working?" I asked.

"Ani, I'm in my room, lying on the bed," She said.

"You went home?" I asked.

"Ani, the hospital one. The dormitory," She answered.

"You sound tired. You should sleep," I said.

"Gwaenchana... It's not every night I get to talk to someone on the phone..." She said, her voice getting softer.

"Geudae... It must be tiring for you," I said.

There was no reply.

"Yeobosaeyo?" I spoke.

Still no reply.

I chuckled to myself. She must have fell asleep.

"Goodnight, and sweet dreams, Hye Kyo-sshi," I said before hanging up.

I put the phone away and stared at the ceiling. I sighed. This sounds crazy, but I miss her. I thought about our first meeting. And not long later, I fell asleep.


Hye Kyo's POV

The sun rays shone in and hurt my eyes. I opened them and closed it again.

"Wake up, you got to check on your patients today," My roommate, Senior Doctor Minah, sat by my bed.

I opened my eyes again.

"And how many times do I have to tell you, it's dangerous to sleep with your phone!" She nagged.

"I didn't..." I yawned and slowly sat up.

"Didn't?" She picked up my phone from my side.

I cocked my head and tried to recall how it got to my side.

"Ah..." I said.

"Ne?" She asked.

"I was on the phone last night and fell asleep," I said.

"Halfway through the call?" She asked.

"Omo!" I covered my mouth.

"Apologize later. Go wash up. You're going to be late soon," She said.

I hurriedly got up of my bed and went into the bathroom to wash my face and take a quick shower. After that, I put on my clothings and texted Joong Ki.

"Ani... It's better to call him," I told myself.

I dialed his number and left the dormitory, walking towards the emergency wards, waiting for him to pick up the call.

"Yeobosaeyo...?" He picked up the call, his voice sounding as if he was still asleep.

"It's me, Hye Kyo," I said.

"Ne?" He instantly sounded awake.

"About last night... I fell asleep while talking to you on the phone... Mianhaeyo..." I apologized.

"Gwaenchana," He chuckled.

"Mmm... I got to go," I said, as it was starting to get awkward with no one saying anything.

"Are you free tonight?" He asked.

"I'll check and let you know," I said.

"Ne, I'll be waiting for your text," I could literally hear him smiling through the phone.

I didn't say goodbye, and hung up.

Little did I know that I was going to regret not saying goodbye.


Joong Ki's POV

I lazed around the house after talking to Hye Kyo on the phone. Call me crazy, call me mad, call me whatever you want. But I was smiling the entire time.

Around noon time, my phone beeped. It was a call from Hye Kyo.

"Yes?" I answered the call.

"Do you want to meet for lunch? It's 12pm... I got until 3pm today," She said.

I could imagine her tapping her feet as she waited for me to answer the call, thinking "Why is this man taking his own sweet time to answer my call?". And then when I picked up the call, I could imagine her eyes widened as she swallowed some air and waited for me to speak. I could imagine her checking her watch as she talked about the time to me. I chuckled.

"Wae? What's so funny?" She asked.

"Ani... I'll see you in the cafeteria on the first floor of the hospital," I said.

"Ne," She answered.

I waited for her to say "Goodbye". But she didn't. So I hung up before she did. I changed into a fresh set of clothings and grabbed my car keys. I got into the lift and went to the carpark. I got into the car, and started my journey to the hospital. I was driving for quite some time, when I stopped at the crossroads, because the red light was on. I looked around, and saw a young boy dashing across the road. As a soldier, I made a pledge to help and save any innocent life, as well as to protect it. As it was my natural instinct, I didn't care if I was on the road. I got down the car and planned to dash across the road to help that little boy, just in case he got knocked down.

"Be careful!" I yelled and pushed the boy away, as I saw a truck coming his way. And that was all I remembered, before I felt a sharp pain, and everything turned black.

 

 


Hye Kyo's POV

"Doctor Song! Can you please answer this call?" Jin Ki ran into my patient's ward with his phone in his hands.

"I'm busy now, Jin Ki ah," I said.

"Noona, I think you really should answer this call..." He said, sounding very serious.

I put my clipboard down and looked at him.

"Okay," I said, and took the phone from his hand.

"Yeobosaeyo?" I answered the call.

"Doctor, it's me, Min Young," The voice on the other line spoke.

"Ne, Min Young-sshi?" I asked.

"Geu... You know... Ani... Aish... How do I say this..." She started talking to herself.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Remember that guy? The teenager's brother?" She asked.

"Nugu?" I tried to recall.

"The teenager that ran away," She said.

"Ah... His older brother? Wae?" I asked.

"He... He is involved in an accident and we are waiting for the ambulance to come. Can you standby at the drop off point?" She said.

I felt the phone slip from my hand.

"Yah, gwaenchana?" Jin Ki immediately held onto me.

"Ne," I pushed his hands away.

I placed the clipboard down on the patient's bed and ran towards the entrance of the emergency unit.

"Ne, we are here already, Min Young-sshi," I heard Jin Ki say.

I felt tears welling up in my eyes.

"Gwaenchana, he will be alright," Jin Ki placed his arm around my shoulders.

"That jerk..." I choked.

"Gwaenchana, Noona, gwaenchana..." He pat me on my shoulders lightly.

A few minutes later, the ambulance arrived. They put down the stretcher and rolled the patient in. I took one look at the face and my heart ached. It's him. It's Joong Ki.

"What's the situation like?" I took a deep breath and asked Min Young.

"He got hit by a truck while trying to save a seven year old kid who was dashing across the road. We suspect he is suffering from shoulder dislocation. He fainted. Blood pressure is normal," She reported.

I took a deep breath and calmed myself down.

"Is a surgery needed?" Jin Ki asked Min Young.

"Take him for an X-ray first, then we will see," I said.

"Ne," Min Young and the nurses answered in unison.

The wheeled him into the X-ray room available and an hour later, Jin Ki, Min Young, Minah and I were analyzing his X-ray film.

"We cannot put his bone back into place without an operation," Minah said at first look.

"Ne, I agree with her," Jin Ki nodded his head.

"Then let's do it," I said.

All eyes were on me.

"What?" I asked.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Minah asked.

I nodded my head.

"You'll take charge of this operation," Minah patted my shoulder and walked out of my room.

"Go get ready for the operation. Remember to give him anesthesia. We will start in ten minutes time," I gave orders.

I ran to get ready and walked towards the operating theatre. I perform at least one surgery per day. I have been working in this hospital for more than six years, and never have I ever felt so nervous. Nervous... And scared... I stood outside the operating theatre and looked up at the sign.

"It's okay. It's just moving of his bone. You'll do fine," Jin Ki came and hugged me tight.

"I should have said goodbye to him on the phone just now..." I said softly.

I closed my eyes and said a silent prayer, that Joong Ki will be fine, that he will make it out of this operation fine. I slowly opened my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Ready?" Jin Ki turned to look at me.

"Ready," I said and pushed open the door to the operating theatre.