It Was Always You

Break Me Down, Build Me Stronger

"Alright, so now what's the frequency of the wave." Minhyuk mumbled to a senior who failed the physics final in june and was now retaking the exam in december in order to pass. Currently, most of the people we taught were upperclassmen who needed to retake a major exam. Physics, Chinese Literature, Korean, Spanish, and anything math related were the most common classes to fail. However on Wednsdays we taught a big class that comprised of mostly AP students.

We'd been doing this freshman year, and the scheduling was always the same.

Nothing had changed. We hadn't changed. At least...not that much.

After the first few months of sophomore year, the cat and dog fights between the two of us had died to a lull. Outside of band and tutoring we mostly avoided each other. Even in the classes we had together we sat on opposite ends of the rooms. It was strange, as if we barely even acknowledged each other's existence.

"Hey, Mai!" a voice called.

"Hm?" I looked up, to see Minhyuk staring at me, "What?"

"Do you happen to have the reference sheet for the Physics class?"

"Oh, yeah. Gimme a sec, I think it's in my AP Binder." I said, reaching for my backpack. After rummaging through some sheets in the binder I finally found the reference sheet I used in physics last year. Extending my arm out to him I said, "Here."

Without a glance back up he took the sheet and began explaining something to the senior. A voice took me out of my thoughts, "Yoon-sunbae, I finished answering the questions for the passage."

"Alright, let's see how you did."


It was friday. Only three or more hours until I could go home and sleep my way to Saturday afternoon.

"Happy Friday!" I said in a sing song voice as I entered the band room only to find one other person in the room, "Where are the others?"

"One hour of detention." he said from his drum set.

"What did they do?"

"Accidentally blew up something in lab."

"Alrighty then, I have a paper due at six so I'll do that in the meantime. Can I use the computer?"

"Yeah, I'm just gonna use my laptop." he said quiet as he took his laptop out of his backpack and plugged the charger into the nearby outlet. I just nodded and sat down in front of the computer.

(30 minutes later)

There was incessant tapping from behind me as I hit the submit button for my Japanese Literature paper. Three pages worth of analyzing Meiji Era poetry was finally done, and me hands were cramping a bit so I began stretching them. The tapping grew more rapid and I finally turned around in the chair, "Are you trying to kill the fricking keyboard, what the hell are you writing?"

Minhyuk looked up and hesitantly gestured for me to come over. Still sitting, I rolled the chair over and leaned to see what he was writing. Then I understood why he didn't understand what was going on. He was reading some obscure excerpt from a European Renaissance Era epic poem. Heck, even after reading the passage I was a bit confused. 

"When is this due?"

"Its the semester-long assignment. This part is due next month, but I wanna finish it now."

"And what do you have to do?"

"Analyze the literary devices used and then write this scene in a modern setting."

"So let's see you have the guy and the girl who hate each other-"

"Except he doesn't actually hate her."

"Huh?"

"He actually has feelings for her, but despises how perfect she is since she would never like someone flawed like him."

"Well that's a backwards way of showing affection." I said turning to him, finding his face closer to me than expected. The tip of his nose grazing against mine. He was too close. I could feel the soft breeze of his breath, I coud practically hear it.

"I don't think so." Minhyuk responded, refusing to look away from eyes. Too close. I could feel an alarm going of in my chest. I had to move. I heard the door open, I moved as fast as I could and ended up falling on something.

"Ow." a familiar voice said from under me as we slowly began sitting up.

"Well you two certainly seem friendlier than usual." Yonghwa said from the door. I looked to see who I had ended up falling only to be met with the mischievous smirk of Kang Minhyuk.


Practice was over and I have never seen the three upper classmen leave the room faster in my life. Then again, considering that certain interations just reverted back to freshman year, it's really not much of a surprise. We were walking past the gates when he asked, "Are you heading home?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I- uhm... never mind."

I rolled my eyes, "What, is the almighty Kang Minhyuk finally speechless at long last?"

"You've always left me speechless." he mumbled. He seemed like he was contemplating something before shrugging it off. We walked side by side in silence.

"Says the one who has a comeback for everything." I glanced at him.  He laughed. With a half-smile I asked him, "Remind me why you ended bullying the out of me?"

His posture was stiff as he grabbed my wrist. His eyes dashing, as if he was searching for something. But he was closer now. Closer. Closer.

"I already told you."

I felt warmth on my lips, a fluttering breath grazing my skin.

 


Author's Note:

So...this song was stuck in my head when I wrote the last part...