Chapter 7

We Will Be Together

 

Birthdays and Holidays

The next day passed quickly. Aaron was on good terms with the shopkeeper, who insisted that Aaron call her by her name, Annie. Aaron smiled as he worked, immensely pleased that he had sorted out GuiGui’s birthday.

Annie was so pleased to have found Aaron as an assistant. He was hardworking and willing to take hardship. She posed him a question. “You’re working extra hours just for your girlfriend?” Aaron nodded, smiling and explaining that he didn’t really need a high paying job to be able to survive on a simple meal and accommodation. Annie smiled at him. Aaron hummed as he worked, running over the plan in his mind. Tomorrow had to be a success.

The next day, Saturday, Aaron got up early and headed for the market. He pulled out his cellphone on his way to the market, the early morning breeze blowing in his face. “Hello, birthday girl!” he called into the phone. GuiGui giggled. “Remember, my house tonight. And I’m sorry I can’t spend your birthday with you! I just need you to come over to get some notes from the class you missed. I keep forgetting.”

As GuiGui put down the phone, she sighed. Her first birthday since she had become Aaron’s girlfriend and he wasn’t even going to spend more than half an hour with her! She knew she couldn’t blame him. But it was true that he was spending less time with her recently.

After school, he would take her home before going to work and he wouldn’t be done until it was late. She knew she shouldn’t feel resentful. After all, she wasn’t the one living alone, paying for her own meals, accommodation and school fees like Aaron was.

GuiGui spent the day in the house, very moody. Her parents coaxed her to go out, call Ya Tou and get out for the day but GuiGui didn’t feel like shopping with Ya Tou. Neither did she want to ask Wang Zi out and hear him try to convince her how lousy a boyfriend Aaron was.

When 6pm neared, GuiGui put on her favourite summer dress and left the house. As she walked in the cool evening breeze, she smiled. Her mood had taken a turn. She was going to see Aaron, even if it was just to collect some notes.

GuiGui knocked on Aaron’s door but there was no answer. She frowned. Aaron had told her to come at this time, so it was impossible that he was not at home. She knocked harder but there was still no response. Silently, she nudged the door open, surprised that it was unlocked. She slowly pushed the door open and gasped.

The house was in darkness. The only source of light came from the table that stood in Aaron’s apartment. Multiple candles were lit and there was a spread of food laid out on the table. Aaron grinned at her expression before pulling her in and hastily closing the door.

GuiGui was speechless. Aaron smiled and led her to her seat. After she had recovered from her shock, GuiGui giggled and they started eating. “Did you make this?” she asked incredulously. Aaron nodded and asked, “Don’t you have faith in your boyfriend?” GuiGui giggled and shook her head. “It’s just that, it’s such a spread, and the food’s amazing!”

Aaron smiled at her. After dinner, they settled on the sofa, cuddled against each other. “Thank you.” She whispered. Aaron replied, “Hey, do you really think this is all?” before grinning. He retrieved the box Annie had passed to him and presented it to her. “Happy Birthday, GuiGui.” He whispered.

GuiGui stared at the box incredulously. She looked at Aaron and Aaron nodded, motioning for her to open it. GuiGui slowly undid the ribbon and opened the box. GuiGui froze. The last thing she expected was this. In the box sat the silver bracelet she had eyed the last time Aaron and her had gone window shopping. The silver bracelet shimmered in the candlelight and Aaron smiled before raising his hand. “It’s got a partner.” He whispered, showing her the matching bracelet sitting on his wrist.

To his surprise, GuiGui didn’t smile. She asked, “You worked to pay for this, didn’t you?” He smiled and nodded. GuiGui burst into tears as Aaron wondered what he had done wrong. He put a reassuring hand on her shoulder and asked, “What’s wrong?” GuiGui shook her head.

“Thank You.” GuiGui whispered. “It’s the best present I could get.” Aaron smiled, knowing she was crying tears of happiness. Aaron leaned in and GuiGui smiled. As their lips met, GuiGui experienced that bliss that she only experienced during a time like this. As they broke apart, Aaron smiled at her and whispered, “Tomorrow’s the last day of school. We’re getting together for lunch, okay?” GuiGui nodded happily and hugged Aaron.

The next day, the school was buzzing with excitement as was common of the last day before the holidays. As the school day drew to a close, students were groaning about the pile of homework that would be needed to be completed during the holidays. Regardless, everyone could not wait for the last bell to ring.

When school ended, the friends met up outside school and decided on their favourite fast food outlet. As they broke into pairs and walked up the street, Ella and WuZun hand in hand, Genie and Calvin immersed in conversation, Ya Tou and Hebe laughing along the street. Jiro and Selina glanced at each other, smiling.

Aaron and GuiGui brought up the rear, smiling at the sight of their friends. As they turned a corner, they came face to face with Wang Zi. GuiGui tensed. She didn’t want the day to be spoilt. She watched Wang Zi warily. Aaron gave GuiGui a reassuring smile before nodding politely at Wang Zi.

Wang Zi nodded in acknowledgement. Aaron asked, “Join us for lunch?” Wang Zi widened his eyes in surprise but nodded slowly and caught up rapidly with Ya Tou and Hebe. GuiGui smiled up at Aaron. “Thank You.” She whispered.

This was how the summer holidays should start, GuiGui thought as she skipped along happily beside Aaron, elated at how things had turned out. “Aaron, GuiGui, hurry up or there won’t be any more seats!” Jiro called along the street. GuiGui giggled and Aaron smiled and broke into a run, pulling her along the street as they ran towards their friends.

~END~

Hey, thanks for all the support. Comment if you would like a sequel? I might consider doing one! :D :D