Chapter 6

We Will Be Together

 

Quarrels & Preparations

WuZun slammed his bedroom door shut and collapsed on his bed. As he lay there, he wondered what was so wrong with Ella. Had she forgotten all those times he had ditched Aaron for her? Sometimes, he felt he owed Aaron for the number of times he had cancelled because of Ella.

He sighed heavily and rolled over. Now, in the silence of his room, he calmed down and thought about their fight. He knew Ella was put in a spot because Hebe was her best friend. Yet, it was a fact that Aaron and GuiGui were together and Hebe would do well to stop trying to break them up!

Aaron sighed. “For the last time, GuiGui is my girlfriend.” He spoke exasperatedly. Hebe pouted. Aaron sighed again. “I know we were childhood friends. But why can’t we just stay friends?” GuiGui appeared around the corner and froze.

Aaron looked up and smiled reassuringly at her. She smiled and took Aaron’s hand. “Weren’t we going?” GuiGui asked. Aaron nodded and smiled at her again. “Come on.” He tugged at GuiGui’s hand, pulling her out of school into the bright sunshine.

They came face to face with Wang Zi. Aaron smiled at him but Wang Zi ignored him. GuiGui frowned but Aaron shook his head. Wang Zi looked up at Aaron. “What’s that supposed to mean?” he snarled. Aaron looked puzzled. “What?” he asked. Aaron was taken aback. He had always been on good terms with Wang Zi. Yet now, Wang Zi was starting a fight with him.

“I warn you," Wang Zi continued, “even if you are with GuiGui, I won’t give her up!” GuiGui stared at her best friend. Aaron kept silent before continuing, “You’d do well to remember that she is my girlfriend.” Aaron’s voice lowered to a whisper as he continued to hold GuiGui’s hand.

Wang Zi threw an angry glare at him before stalking off. GuiGui smiled up at Aaron. He looked ten times more handsome when he was arguing with Wang Zi over her. Aaron smiled down at her. “What?” he asked, smiling, as GuiGui watched him. GuiGui shook her head and they headed over to her house, wondering why they had so many problems to contend with.

WuZun remained silent the next day at school. Aaron sighed and leaned over. “Don’t get caught up in my problems, okay? It really doesn’t matter.” WuZun looked at his best friend and smiled. “Thanks, buddy.” He whispered.

WuZun watched as Ella stared moodily at Hebe and Selina, engaged in deep conversation. WuZun knew he couldn’t let this go on. Bad enough, they were quarrelling over a stupid issue. On top of that, they were making themselves feel miserable and Aaron and GuiGui were feeling guilty!

As the lunch bell rang, WuZun called, “Ella!” across the classroom. Ella turned, keeping her face straight. “I…I…I’m sorry.” He called over the heads of a few of his classmates. Ella hid a smile. Aaron smiled as he packed his bag. That was the difference between him and WuZun. He would do it in an empty classroom but WuZun didn’t care how many people there were. Not because he was braver, but it was just his character.

GuiGui grinned from the other side of the classroom as Ella and WuZun apologized to each other. At that moment, Calvin walked past, hand in hand with Genie. The four of them froze before the two boys shouted, “Cal!” Startled, Calvin barely had time to look up before both Genie and him were pulled into the classroom.

GuiGui giggled and smiled at Genie as the boys berated Calvin for keeping this from them. Calvin grinned embarrassedly before apologizing. Smiling, all six of them left the classroom and headed for the cafeteria.

The summer holidays were approaching and everyone was excited. For GuiGui, she was looking forward to spending these holidays with Aaron. It would be the first holidays since they had gotten together.

When she had confided this in Aaron, Aaron grinned and nodded. “Yeah, the first thing we’re doing is hitting the beach!” GuiGui giggled and playfully smacked Aaron. Aaron smiled but he had other things on his mind. GuiGui’s birthday was the day after next, yet he hadn’t decided how to surprise her.

After school, Aaron whispered to GuiGui. “I’ve got something on tonight. I won’t walk you home today, alright?” GuiGui frowned and reluctantly nodded her head. She couldn’t expect Aaron to walk her home all the time, no matter how much she enjoyed his company.

Aaron leaned over and briefly kissed her. As their lips met, GuiGui felt that there would be nothing else that could feel more like bliss than that moment itself. Aaron smiled and waving, exited the school compound, hoping that everything would work out.

Aaron walked into the shop located near his house and peered into the showcase. Smiling, he spotted the bracelet that GuiGui had spotted ages ago. Hailing the shop keeper, he asked, “How much is that bracelet?” The shop keeper smiled and named the price. Aaron frowned. He wasn’t well off, paying for his meals and accommodation, not to include his school fees. Yet, he really wanted to give GuiGui this bracelet.

Spotting the look on Aaron’s face, the shop assistant asked “Getting it for your girlfriend?” Aaron nodded absentmindedly. The shopkeeper broke into a grin. “You’re the boy that stays just around the corner, aren’t you? I see you sometimes.” Aaron nodded, wondering what that had got to do with anything.

“We’re having a promotion for this bracelet, actually. It comes with a pair, a couple bracelet.” As she said this, the shopkeeper retrieved two similar bracelets out of the cabinet and placed them side by side. Both glimmered under the bright lights of the shop.

Aaron frowned. He could hardly afford one, let alone two! But he knew GuiGui would love it. He could already see the look of pure glee on her face if he presented this to her and told her it came as a pair. The shopkeeper spoke, “You buy the girl’s one, I’ll give you the guy’s one.”

Aaron looked up in surprise. “Give?” he spluttered. The shopkeeper nodded. “It’s rare to see a boy so thoughtful and gentle with his girlfriend, you know. I’ve seen the both of you sometimes, heading to your house, I presume.”

Aaron smiled a little but made to protest. “You can’t give it to me! I’ll… Can I work for you?” The shopkeeper considered for a moment then said, “Alright. It’s rare to find a boy like you!” Aaron smiled sheepishly as the shopkeeper deftly wrapped up the girl’s bracelet in a box and tied it with a ribbon.

“All ready for her.” She whispered, her eyes twinkling. Aaron smiled. “You start tomorrow?” Aaron nodded but paused. “Er… Could I… Could I have the day after tomorrow off?” The shopkeeper smiled. “Birthday?” she questioned and Aaron nodded. The shopkeeper agreed and Aaron left the shop, immensely pleased and determined to make GuiGui’s birthday celebration he most special one she would have.

next chapter is up! comments, please!