Chapter 3

We Will Be Together

 

Those Three Special Words

Aaron left the store he had been in, smiling satisfactorily. All he had to do now was go home, prepare it for tomorrow and hope for the best. He set off home, secretly hoping that his plan would be successful and that by the end of tomorrow, he would have achieved what he wanted to.

The next day, GuiGui entered the classroom early without waiting for Wang Zi. Spotting a box sitting on her desk, she walked there and picked it up, wondering what was inside. She opened the box and carefully extracted a nicely folded paper. Unfolding it carefully, she read:

No matter how I fool myself,
No matter what I do,
I can’t empty my head of thoughts of you.
So now’s the time, I hope I’m right
I want to show you what I feel inside
So do give me a signal, give me a sign
If you say yes, put this on,
Meet me by the great tree at the back of the school yard.
I’ll wait till the first bell rings.
- Perfect project Partners

GuiGui peered into the box and saw an intricately designed necklace, shaped in a heart. She knew it was Aaron and she was elated. This meant that she wasn’t in a one-sided love at all! It meant that the one she loved really loved her back! She hastily slipped the necklace around her neck and slipped out of the classroom, not wanting to be seen by Wang Zi or Ya Tou.

GuiGui cleverly draped a scarf around her neck, holding the box in which Aaron had placed it. She gripped it tightly, fervently praying that she had not read the signs wrongly. She spotted a figure sitting under the tree and she silently made her way there, careful not to let the person hear or see her.

As GuiGui reached the tree, she broke into a wide-eyed grin. She was so elated and relieved to see Aaron sitting there nonchalantly, staring up at the leaves and occasionally checking his watch. She sat down next to him and handed him the box.

Aaron stared down at the box that had been into his lap and felt his heart sink. He had read the signs wrongly. He had mistaken what had been playful friendship to be affection for him. His cheeks burned as he felt the humiliation of being rejected by a girl wash over him. He staggered to his feet and made to leave, refusing to meet GuiGui’s eyes. GuiGui tugged at him. “Help me to undo my scarf.” Aaron looked up and fumbled with it. The necklace fell into place as the knot GuiGui had tied came undone.
Aaron looked down into GuiGui’s face. GuiGui smiled and blushed. Aaron whispered, “So is that a yes?” hardly daring to believe it. GuiGui slowly nodded and Aaron pulled her into a tight hug, whispering, "I love you." into her ear. GuiGui smiled against Aaron’s shoulder, glad that things had worked out.

Meanwhile, Wang Zi stood against the back of the school building. He turned away, not wanting to see GuiGui get intimate with one of his classmates. He didn’t understand what she saw in Aaron. He didn’t understand why he wasn’t good enough. He sighed and made his way to where he agreed to meet Ya Tou.

Calvin smirked as Aaron walked into class, closely followed by GuiGui. Had you not known, you would have thought nothing had changed between them. Aaron cuffed Calvin playfully before seating next to WuZun. WuZun smiled and leaned over, “Successful then? “ Aaron half smiled.

At the other side of the classroom, Wang Zi was watching GuiGui out of the corner of his eye. He decided he had to tell her how he felt. Even with the slight chance that he had. It was easiest to change a person’s mind in the early stages of a relationship. He steeled himself and turned to GuiGui. “I’ll need to talk to you during lunch, alone. Okay?” GuiGui slowly nodded, looking curiously at Ya Tou who shrugged.

As lunch approached, GuiGui looked curiously at Wang Zi before following him out of the classroom. On her way out, she caught Aaron’s eye and gave a brief shrug, before following after Wang Zi. Aaron frowned. It wasn’t that he was jealous. Just that, he knew Wang Zi had been watching them that morning and him taking GuiGui with him, without Ya Tou seemed mighty suspicious.

“Zun, you guys go ahead. I’m going to take a look at Wang Zi and GuiGui. I’ll meet you all later.” WuZun nodded and motioned for Aaron to hurry along. Aaron crept along the corridor until he heard voices coming from the last classroom. Quietly, he settled himself next to the back door.

“But… GuiGui, what’s so bad about me? I’ve been looking after you for so long! And what’s so great about Aaron?” Wang Zi’s voice could be heard. Aaron silently scowled.

“Nothing, but you’re like an older brother! That’s exactly it! You can’t explain love when it hits you.” GuiGui protested, slowly dropping her voice to a whisper.

“What matters is, I love you! And I can make you much happier!” Wang Zi shouted.

“But Wang Zi, I love Aaron.” GuiGui whispered.

Aaron smiled before creeping away. After that, he doubted Wang Zi would try anything. Besides, he trusted Wang Zi. He was a decent guy. With that thought, he hurried to find his friends, contented with the way things had turned out.

Chapter 3 completed! Please tell me how you find it! Thank you! (:
GuiLun <3