Chapter 4

We Will Be Together

 

The Misunderstanding

Aaron smiled as he slid into his seat next to WuZun, carrying his tray of food. “Kenny’s being annoying again.” Jiro leaned forward and whispered, gesturing to their right where Kenny was getting up from his seat and making a beeline for Ella, Selina and Hebe.

“You got to be kidding.” WuZun groaned. He promptly got out of his seat and made his way towards Ella. Hastily draping his arm around Ella’s shoulders, WuZun steered her towards their table, with Selina and Hebe closely following.

Hebe sat across from Aaron and smiled. Aaron nodded, looked up and grinned. GuiGui had stepped into the cafeteria with Wang Zi following shortly after. Spotting Aaron, she grinned even wider and made her way towards him.
Aaron smiled and made space for GuiGui to perch next to him. Hebe watched them, out of the corner of her eye as she pretended to listen to Selina. Hebe had never seen Aaron this way before. He had always been a quiet kid, with a good heart, which made him all the more charming. But she had never seen Aaron this way, ever since they were kids.

Aaron had his arm slung casually around GuiGui’s shoulders and was laughing along with her. Hebe smiled slightly at Aaron before turning back to her conversation with Selina who had hardly noticed that Hebe was not paying attention.
Over at the other side of the table, WuZun and Ella were in conversation with Ella occasionally breaking into a fit of giggles while WuZun smiled tenderly at her. Aaron hid a smile before turning back to GuiGui who had started to disturb him in order to get back his attention.

Aaron grabbed her hands and smiled cheekily at her. GuiGui giggled before squirming. At another table, Wang Zi turned away. Ya Tou frowned, concerned. “Wang Zi, Aaron’s your friend. No matter what, you have to accept the fact that the two of them…” Wang Zi ignored Ya Tou and got up promptly from his seat. Shaking her head, she hurried after him after a look at GuiGui.

A few days later in class, Ya Tou glanced at GuiGui. “Maybe you owe us an apology.” She told her best friend. GuiGui looked up at Ya Tou and frowned. “For?” GuiGui asked, puzzled.

“Ever since you’ve got together with Aaron, it’s been nothing but Aaron! You’ve never even spared a thought for us!” Ya Tou raised her voice.

GuiGui stared at Ya Tou before briefly glancing at Aaron who had already raised his head upon hearing Ya Tou’s raised voice. “I’ve liked him since middle school. You know that! And it’s a big deal that he likes me back. To me, it is.” She whispered the last sentence, holding back her tears.

At that moment, Hebe entered the classroom and made her way towards Aaron. Aaron was too absorbed into their argument to notice anything. Hebe bent towards Aaron and Aaron looked up at her. “I want to talk to you.” She whispered as she inched her face closer to his. Aaron retreated, uncomfortable with the proximity of their bodies.

“You can say it further away.” Aaron whispered before deftly sliding out of his seat. WuZun stared. Aaron shrugged. “Hebe… what…” Aaron asked but was interrupted by GuiGui dashing out of the classroom, tears flowing freely down her face.

The indignation of Ya Tou accusing her of not caring enough about her friends and the hurt that Aaron could be seen with Hebe, their bodies so close together added on to the insecurities she had had ever since they had gotten together. GuiGui could hardly believe that Aaron liked her. Aaron was so charming; his quiet demeanor along with his exceedingly good looks placed him in the centre of attention, with girls clamouring for his attention.

GuiGui ignored Aaron’s protests as she continued running. How could she have been so stupid? She scolded herself. But GuiGui stopped and slid into an empty classroom. Aaron wouldn’t have played with her feelings like that. He wasn’t that kind of guy! But she couldn’t think with a clear mind now. She sank to her knees and cried heartily.

Aaron moved along the corridor, looking desperately for GuiGui. He knew that she was upset and anyone else looking on at Aaron and Hebe would have assumed that he was flirting. A little hurt that GuiGui didn’t trust him but determined to clear up the misunderstanding, he continued down the corridor.

Finally he stopped when he heard sobbing. Slowly, he peered into the classroom. GuiGui was on her knees, sobbing into her hands. He stepped in and knelt in front of her. GuiGui looked up and her eyes widened in surprise. Before she could react, Aaron took both her hands and held them there. “GuiGui, listen.” He whispered.

GuiGui shook her head but Aaron ignored her and continued. “I wasn’t flirting. I swear.” GuiGui squirmed. Aaron held her hands even tighter. “GuiGui, listen! Hebe likes me. I don’t know why she did what she did today but…” GuiGui’s head was whirling. She couldn’t think rationally right now when her head was spinning. She shook her head at Aaron and whispered, “I just want to be alone.”

Aaron flinched. Those few words cut through his heart. He nodded slowly and dropped her hands. He got up and with only a slight backward glance, he left the room. Overcome by multiple emotions, Aaron ran out onto the field, hoping to get rid of the emotions that were threatening to overpower him.

Aaron collapsed on the grass, panting. He didn’t understand what GuiGui was thinking or why she didn’t trust him. It hurt to know that your own girlfriend didn’t trust you. He sighed and closed his eyes. It had only been three days and they were already in this state.

A shadow fell over Aaron and his eyes snapped open. “GuiGui?” he questioned. However, he had opened his eyes to see WuZun staring down at him. WuZun sat beside Aaron. “Figured you needed some sort of company?” WuZun said, staring straight ahead.

Aaron sat up and looked at his best friend. He was glad to have WuZun as a best friend. WuZun could always tell when he was down or when he needed someone to talk to. He smiled slightly as they sat there in silence for a while before Aaron launched into explaining what had happened.

thanks for the support. let me know how you find it please!