MEMORY: JENA

DO I REALLY LOVE YOU?

(AMERICA, 2007)

 

"Come a little closer to me Jena" a soft voice with a bit of catching of it's own breath, that's how i describe my father's voice when i first heard it...... i dont even know what to feel just the fact that i need to be there just to make him feel happy.....

Happy? Does seeing me makes him happy? When in the first place he's been the one who left us like we dont make him happy anymore....but as i look at him lying helplessly there i thought that maybe a little concern is enough for him.....i will never let myself be inside his so called happiness.....


"When will we go back to Korea omma?" 10 year old Jena ask as her mother fix something at their closet..

"You brought so many clothes, does that mean we will stay here for long?"  I ask as i look at my mother fix some clothes...

She heard her mother sighed then face her....

"Your father needs you" she said quite softly but it has a hint of hurt that she cant help but notice.....


Days passed and still she feel uneasy staying there...the language is quite hard to grasp...but she can handle it a little....

Her father is still the same bedridden....every night she visits his room to look at him......a moment that his father didnt know about.....


But her so called boring days and uneasiness change when she came at our house one day.....

"Jena" she heard her mother called downstairs, she immediatelly went down while holding her music sheet...


When her feet step out at the last floor of the stairs there she saw this girl with a little smile holding her mother's hand........

"Jena quick come here and ill introduce you"

Jena while holding her music sheets came while walking in a slow step.....

"Mina this is my only daughter Jena" her mother said quite nicely that Mina smiled

"Hi Im Mina....." she said quite shy but i bowed then smile....

"Im Jung Jena nice to meet you Mina-ya"


Mina stayed in our house because her parents are on business trips while her other sisters are studying at Korea.....


"Then visit Korea someday" Jena said while they are sitting at the floor beside her father's bed....

"But i dont know much about your language"she said that Jena just smile....

"You know it's easy to learn it besides dont you want to study there like your sisters at least im already there too"

Mina nodded...

"So you want it too?" Jena exclaimed a little then cover immediately thinking that her father might wake up.....

That made Mina giggle a little....

Jena then smiled as she cant help it seeing Mina being like that...

Her hand landed on her head and slowly caress it...that Mina stop from giggling....then their eyes met....jena smiled that Mina smiled too....

But in the middle of that....

Her father suddenly groan then seem to wawke up and catching his own breath  that Jena immediately stood up...

"Appa!" Jena froze as she saw her father shaking and seem to chase his breath....

"Appa!" She shouted then came near.....

"What's happening to you?!" She held him that she felt her fathers hand grasp at her arm....

"Mina can you call my omma downstairs quick please" she said quite on panic....Mina immediately run but stop as she heard Jena scream.....her father cant control the pain that his hands dug deep at her arm that she screamed in pain....

"Jena!" Her mother fastly approach.....

When Jena let go of herself her arm is bleeding....

Mina immediately came near her and put her handkerchief at her bleeding arm.....


"Jena" at that point on Jena suddenly see everything around her as she raise her head....Mina's worried face.....her father's dying face.....her mother's concern for  her father......


She cant help but to feel pity for herself......


"Are you alright?" Mina ask as they sit at this bench outside their house......Mina just finish putting some bandages at her arm....

"Yeah" she answer blankly that Mina pat her head that her froze up motion suddenly woken up that her eyes landed on Mina.....

"It's alright...it's alright Jena-ya"

 

Jena just stare at Mina as she pat her head....

"You dont have to keep it at yourself if your hurt...i am here to listen and take care of you that's why its alright"

Still as she stare at her a tear is slowly falling that Mina close her eyes......

"Its alright.....i cant see you crying thats why its alright"

She really is sad....so sad that seeing her father like that makes her so sad but she wont even admit it at herself that simply crying she cant even do it.....

But now her tears are rapidly flowing from her eyes....

 


"I'm sorry for what i did earlier jena" that soft and hurt voice she heard it again as she sit at the floor beside her fathers bed.....she use to doing that while talking to her father....earlier was the first time she actually face her as he catch his own life.....

"Im alright" she said simply...

His father smile without her seeing it.....

"Jena"

She didnt respond.....as he call her.....

"You do like music just like me" he still continue talking....

"Do you want to be a musician? Singer?....."

"Just be alive and see for yourself" jena blurted out

An unexpected answer made his father stop.....then his fathers face seem to relieved as he breath.....

"Jena" he called again but she didnt respond.....

"Ill be so proud of you whatever it might be that will make you happy"


"Im so happy that i know you are having a dream....just always remember that ill be watching you....."

She felt her father's hand at her head and just like Mina he is patting it too.....

"Im so sorry....it was a big mistake choosing my dreams over you and your mother....dont be like me jena....dont leave everything behind as you dream....let them be with you as you reach it...i will always love you and your mother"


That was the last time they talk, her father fall on a coma that when he died he already didnt wake up and just remain like that.....

 

 

**********************************************************
"J-Jena" Mina's voice trailed off as she open the door of the room of jena's father....


Jena is sitting at the floor beside her father's bed just like always but the difference was that her father is not there anymore at his bed.....

 

(SSS DANCE AND TRAINING CENTER, 2016)

 

Mina slowly open her eyes only to realize that she is daydreaming while sitting in front of her choreographer who is writing something on a paper and so busy....

Her eyes is just focus on her choreographer's arm....
It has a big scratch which she just saw earlier when they dance......

It was their first day today but it feels weird for her that somewhat she can feel the same feeling just seeing her and the wound on her arm remind's Mina of Something....


"Hey Jun and Miss Mina can we start now" Momo who was standing  on the other side said.....


Jun stood up....

"Let's go miss Mina" she said and stood up to go where Momo is.....

But as Mina stood up her eyes unconciously glance at Jun's paper that she's using earlier only to stop as she saw a graph of notation of music has been drawn on the paper.....


Mina immediately brush off the idea that is entering her mind.....

Is she? Or maybe it's just her longing that's why every coincidental similarities makes her think that maybe it's finally Jena....

 

"Hey i notice that Miss Mina had been staring at you for the last minute that you two had been sitting there" Momo said as she fix her knee pads....

"Is she?" Jun said that Momo look at her....

"Maybe she thought that i am so good at dancing that i can beat her" jun laugh a little that Momo smirk not amused....

That made Jun's brows twitched

"Hey, what's with that face? Dont tell me your-"

Momo cover before she could even finish it....

Mina is already beside them....

"Should we start Miss Mina?"

Mina nodded and that's when momo remove her hand at Jun's mouth.....

Jun then smile at Mina as Momo position herself then followed momo to position herself too....


It's just imagination right? But i can feel something strange just by being near that Mina girl .....a feeling that i forgot a long time ago..

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 subscribe if you like this story and comment if you have enjoyed this chapter....enjoy reading!!!!