#001: The Joker

the grey area
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hyung, are they still outside?" Chan called out from the washroom as he took another look at the makeup he had painstakingly dabbed over the purple bruise by the corner of his bottom lip.

"Well I don't see them so I am assuming it's a no," the other voice rang out from outside in response to his question.

Stepping out of the washroom, Chan found Seokmin still poised by the door, an eye hovering before the peep hole. "Then... I guess I'll get going first," Chan cast a grateful smile in the fourth year student's direction.

"Stay safe, Channie," Chan felt a hand ruffle his hair as he picked up his backpack and slung it over his shoulder.

"No promises, hyung but I'll try," this time a pained smile tugged the corners of his lips. Passing by the mirror to the door, Chan caught sight of himself. Dressed in the winter uniform but this time instead of the red tie it was replaced with a black.

'A scrap huh...' Chan thought wistfully as his eyes landed on the bruise hidden under the layers of make up. This year was going to be a very different year as compared to the last.

Giving himself a mental slap, Chan reached for the door, taking a deep breath, he gave the metal knob a small twist, before quickly slipping out of the shared room into the quiet corridor outside.

---

Chan felt almost silly to believe that he could stay safe and out of harm before the start of classes.

A muffled groan escaped his lips as he felt the knuckles of the fist flying in his direction drive themselves deep into his abdomen. On instinct, Chan curled himself inwards in a pathetic attempt to protect himself. He felt rubber soles land kicks on his back and a hand grabbing a fistful of his hair, forcefully bringing him up. Meeting the mocking gaze of the bullies, Chan could only glare back at the Steel ranked students.

"Heh... You still have some spunk in you huh?" The face was pressed near to his as Chan felt the grip on his hair tighten to almost a painful hair ripping hold. Gritting his teeth together, Chan forced his glare to the ground, refusing to look at the other in the eye.

"But... Too bad for you," The bully snickered as the others joined in, guffawing loudly.

"A Scrap should accept his fate," Chan felt himself being flung against the brick wall, his back hitting hard surface forcing the air out of his lungs. After a moment of lying slumped against the wall, Chan struggled to get himself to an upright position. A hand to the wall, Chan managed with much difficulty to get his aching body to stand on his twos. Picking his discarded bag, Chan began to make his way to his classroom.

He could feel gazes turn upon him once he stepped into the building. Uniform rumpled and dirtied, and a black ribbon around his neck, he was attracting gazes like flies to garbage. Head kept low, eyes trained to the ground, Chan quietly pushed past the crowd, making his way towards the his classroom.

Shoulders bumping against a passing student, Chan's eyes flickered upwards momentarily enough to catch sight of a blue tie settled around the other's neck - a Platinum. Head dipping down in a hasty bow, the apology left his lips in a mumble before the Scrap quickly excused himself. With every step he took, the prayer was repeated in his head in a continuous mantra, begging for the Platinum to just leave him alone.

Feeling a tug on his wrist, Chan turned around as he looked up in surprise, blue unruly hair, sharp slanted eyes and the blue ribbon around the other’s neck - the Platinum he had bumped into.

"Is there something you need from me?" Chan asked blatantly as he attempted to twist his wrist out of the other's grip. Another round of beating and getting flung around like a ragged doll sound sickening to the core.

Instead of the sadistic smirk he expected, the smile he received felt warm, void of the menace he felt from the leering and mocking smiles of the other Steels ands Platinums. "Here," Chan watched the other as he brought the silk material from his pocket and extended it towards him.

"For?" Chan stared at the neatly folded cloth with suspicion before his orbs flickered up to meet the other's rather bemused ones.

"The gash on your arm is looking pretty bad," The blue haired shot him another smile as he gestured to Chan's left arm. Looking in the direction pointed, the black haired male noticed the cut running down the length of his arm.

Eyes going between the handkerchief held out to him and the smiling face, the second year let his supicions get better pf him. "Thanks for the offer but sorry," with hard jerk, Chan successfully freed his hand from the vice like grip. With a bow, Chan excused himself once more.

'Please... Don't mock me. It may be fun for you but on the receiving end, it hurts.'

---

"Chan-ah! Let's have lunch together!" The The garble of voices mashed together only added to the noise of the hallway and classroom.

"Sure! Just give me a moment," the second year felt a grin tug his lips as he shoved his books into his bag before he stood

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter