The Manual

Spring Up

 

 

 

“I. Love. You.” He crossed out the words he wrote.

“Park Jinwoo!” Kim Yugyeom called his name when he saw his friend in a mess. “Maybe you shouldn’t confess to her.”

“I know right?” Why the hell I can’t even get close to her?” He rolled his eyes.

“You should just stay with your guitar and keyboard.” Yugyeom suggested.

“Kim Yugyeom, you isn’t helping okay?” He sighed, “You should at least help me or anything.”

“It’s not like I don’t want to help you but Jinjin, you should help yourself first overcome the problems you have.” He explained.

“How am I supposed to do that?” He looked at Yugyeom.

“Here.” Yugyeom passed a flyer to him.

“Song Making Contest?” Jinjin raised his eyebrows.

“Um,” Yugyeom nodded. “You could write a song for her. That’s better right?”

“Not a bad idea.” He started to form a smile.

“It’s the best idea so far, okay?” Yugyeom said.

“Okay, okay.” Jinjin grabbed his pen and started to write something. “Thank you, Kim Yugyeom.”

Yugyeom smiled as he looked at his best friend.


------


He was walking down the streets trying to get some idea for his new song. From afar, he could see a familiar figure was walking towards him.

The girl suddenly waved her hand to him. Jinjin automatically stopped his body from moving, Plus, his ears started to change to a really bright red in colour.

He cupped both of his ears in hope that no one could see the changes in him.

“Calm down, Jinwoo. Calm down.” He mumbled alone while took a deep breath.

“Hi Jinjin.” The girl greeted him.

Jinjin’s eyes wandering around so that he could avoid the stare that was given by the girl.

Jinjin passed a slight smile to the girl but the girl replied it with a really bright smile as if she’s happy that she meets him. He flustered because of that smile.

“Yeah… Hi.” He stuttered.

“Are you okay? You look pale.” The girl asked.

“Yeah, I’m okay!” He flustered.

“Why are you cupping your both ears?” She felt weird with Jinjin’s behaviour.

“No--- Nothing.” He startled, “It was just my habit.”

“Oh, really? Such a weird habit.” She giggled. “By the way, what are you doing here?”

“Just walking around.” He still feels nervous.

“Oh, um….” She paused for a while. “Do you mind if we, um. Have a walk together?”

“Ohhhhhhhh.” He make an ‘O’ shaped with his mouth.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to.” The girl felt awkward with his reaction.

“No. Sure.” Jinjin replied as he knows that this moment wouldn’t come so easily.

They walked together along the park.

“The weather is nice, huh?” Seon Ah started the conversation.

“Yeah, it’s nice.” He agreed awkwardly.

“Jinjin, is it so awkward to be with me?” She giggled at the way he answered.

“No, it’s not awkward. I mean, yes.” He un-willingly nodded his head.

She laughed. “Chill, I’m not going to eat you anytime soon, Park Jinwoo.”

“Wait, how did you know my real name?” He frowned.

“Jinjin, I know a lot of thing about you.” She smirked as she said that.

“Ah----.” He stuttered. He felt like there’s a red blush on his cheeks.

“Cute.” She mumbled in a slow voice.

“What?” Jinjin said as he heard that she’s saying something.

“Nothing.” She shook her head and passed a smile to the boy.

Suddenly, her phone was ringing. Seon Ah took out her phone from her small handbag and slide the screen to the left to answer the call.

“Hello.” She said as soon as she put the phone one her ears.

“Um, okay.” She kept nodding her head and finally ended the call.

“Jinjin-ah, I think I need to go now.” She said in a cute way.

Jinjin felt helplessly nervous once said that.

“Oh, okay.” He nodded in agreement.

“See you later.” The girl started to take a step away from the boy and sometimes she would look back and waved at him.

Jinjin slowly put his hand up in the sky and waved his hand to the girl.

“Fuh, that’s a hard one.” He let out a deep sigh.


------


“How was it?” Yugyeom poked Jinjin’s shoulders.

“Um.” He shook his head as a reply.

“Even after you met her, you still didn’t get anything?” Yugyeom shrugged.

“How did you know that I met her?” He raised his left eyebrows.

“Ah--- that--- um.” He stuttered.  I saw you with her.”

Jinjin passed a curious look to Yugyeom.

“Jinjin, I need to go now I have meeting with club.” Yugyeom make an excuse to run away from Jinjin.

“Okay then.” He said.


------


A week left till the contest and Jinjin still having a hard time composing the song.

“I couldn’t do this, seriously.” He took a pebble around him and threw it into the lake.

“What is the thing you couldn’t do?” The voice that came from behind startled him which made he accidentally throws his pencil into the lake.

“Oh my God, I’m sorry Jinjin.” The girl panicked when she saw what happened.

She quickly took a sit beside Jinjin.

“No, it’s okay. It’s just a pencil.” He felt comfortable with the girl lately.

“I will buy you a new pencil! I mean a lot of pencil. I promise!” She cheekily said.

Jinjin laughed. “It’s just a pencil, okay?”

“Okay.” She smiled. “What are you doing here?”

“You asked me that question every single time we met. You know that?” Jinjin giggled.

He didn’t know why but he smiled a lot when he’s around this girl. Maybe because he likes her? He smiled at his own thought.

“Really? I’m sorry.” She put both of her hand together as if she was begging for forgiveness.

“And another thing you should.” He paused, “Stop saying sorry. There’s nothing for you to sorry about though?”

“I’m clumsy, right?” She giggled.

“Kind of.” Jinjin slightly agreed with what she said.

“I thought you’re going to deny it.” She pouted.

“Why could I deny the truth?” He shrugged.

“Okay, Jinwoo. Okay.” She nodded her head while smiling. “Are you okay if I call you Jinwoo? That’s way cuter.”

“Really? I thought that Jinjin is cuter.” He said.

“Maybe, if it isn’t sound like a dog name.” She received a glare from him.

“Okay. I’m sorry. I’m just kidding.” The smile on her face faded away.

“Whatever, Seon Ah.” He rolled his eyes.

He couldn’t believe that the girl said that his nickname sounds like a dog name. How is that possible? Why the hell I like her though? He sighed.

“It’s fun talking to you.” Seon Ah sudden words made Jinjin went blush.

“I never thought I could have a chance to talk to you. You know what Jinwoo? I’ve been listening to all songs that you composed.” She said while staring at the deep blue sky.

“You gotta be kidding me?” He was disbelief with those words.

“Why would I lie? You have a great talent.” She praised him.

He giggled. “Thanks, I never thought there’s someone who admires my work.”

She smiled.


------


“How was your day with him?” Someone asked Seon Ah.

“Great! I just have to thanks you for giving me chances to spend time with him” She has a bright smile pasted on her face.

“Not a big thing. I need to help him overcome his problem too.” He said casually.

“Oh, yes. About that.” She paused, “What is his exact problem actually?”

“His ears will go red as every time he confronts a girl.” He said.

“Really? He looked normal to me.” She raised both of his eyebrows.

“Wait. Do you mean that his ears weren’t turn to red when he talked to you?” She nodded.

“Wow, this is amazing.” He finally could smile.


------


Today is the day. The day where Jinjin will finally confess his feelings towards Seon Ah.

“Jinjin, are you okay?” Yugyeom asked when he saw sweaty Jinjin. He put his hand on Jinjin’s forehead and he could feel that he’s burning up.

“I’m okay.” He tried to open his eyes but failed.

“No. Your body is burning.” He grabbed his phone. “Hello doctor. Can you come here now? Jinwoo has a high fever.”

“Yugyeom, I’m okay.” His voice sounds weak as he tried to grab Yugyeom’s hand trying to prevent him from calling the doctor.

“Obviously you’re not. I’m going to cancel your application for the contest.” He called the organizers.

“No. I need to go to the competition.” Jinjin tried to get up but he’s way too weak for that.

“Stop it, Park Jinwoo!” Yugyeom raised his voice. “Just rest.”


------


“Are you feeling better now?” Yugyeom asked when he saw Jinjin was waking up from his short nap after taking some medicines.

“Yeah. Just my head hurts a bit.” He touched his head and slightly smiled.

A knock on the door startled both of them.

“Can I come in?” The girl took a peek in the room from the other side of the door.

“Sure. Come in.” Yugyeom said.

The girl walked inside the room.

“Oh, Seon Ah.” Jinjin’s eyes widen when he saw the girl. He automatically let out a cough.

“Are you okay?” The girl rushed herself to him.

While Yugyeom who was sitting on the sofa, slowly made his way out from the room so that both of them could talk comfortably.

“Yes. I guess.” He replied.

“I’m glad that you’re fine.” She let out a sigh of relief.

“How did you know I’m here?” Jinwoo frowned while asking.

“Yugyeom tell me.” She innocently answered.

“Yugyeom? You were close with him?” He asked.

“Not really but, maybe?” She grinned as she didn’t know how to react with the question.

“I see.” He nodded.

“I heard that you have something to tell me.” She said.

“What is it?” Jinjin blurred.

“Yugyeom said so?” She shrugged.

“This kid, seriously.” He mumbled alone.

“I beg your pardon.” Seon Ah said.

“Nothing.” He shook his head and smiled.

“So, what is the thing you want to tell me?” She patiently waits for the answer.

Before Jinjin could say anything, a music being played in the room.

“Oh, .” He cursed as soon as he heard the music.

The song started to play without any intends to stop.

“Kim Yugyeom, seriously.” Jinjin clenched his teeth.

While Seon Ah tried to focus on the song.


`What did you eat to become this pretty, Beautiful Girl?
Every guy just can’t seem to pass by, they’re looking back to you
Your normal talk are filled with cuteness
I will get your kiss, so you can’t even talk.`


Luckily, the song didn’t go till the end and stopped.

“Seon Ah, it’s not like what you think, it was…” He didn’t know how to explain the situation.

“I like you too.” Seon Ah suddenly said.

“Wh---What?” He bet he heard something wrong.

“I’m not going to repeat the words.” Seon Ah blushed.

“Did you say that you like me? So, you like me the way I like you?” She nodded.

“So what are you going to say is, you like me?” He kept asking the same question.

“Jinjin, can we stop doing this?” Seon Ah whined.

“So you really like me?” He could stop asking that question by now.

“Yes, Park Jinwoo. I like you as much as you like me.” She said and planted a kiss on Jinjin’s cheeks.