Ok! Ready

Spring Up

 

 

 

“Kim Myungsoo!” I shouted when I saw a boy was climbing up the bar without my permission.

 

I walked towards him before lifted him and put him down.

 

“How many times do I have to tell you?” I scold him. The boy just whined.

 

“What do we do if you fall? I’m not going to take any risk okay?” I said and the boy started crying.

 

I was startled by his tears. Only then I realized that I just did something stupid. I scold this boy for nothing. I hit my own head.

 

“Okay, Myungsoo. I’m sorry.” I begged. “I know I shouldn’t scold you. Uh.” But he won’t stop crying.

 

“I’m going to buy you an ice-cream.” As soon as I said that, he stopped crying.

 

Well, obviously that’s the only way.

 

■□■□

 

That’s my daily life. My mum owns a kindergarten and there’s me who will take these kids to playground every evening. I enjoyed myself playing with kids but sometimes… they just annoyed me so much.

 

I’m not going to complain but imagine, how can I took care of 10 kids at the same time? It wasn’t like I have 20 hands to handle all of them. I sighed. Okay, obviously I get some money for it but still… Uh, there’s no point to whine, my mum will still ignore my request to have a helper.

 

I could say most of the times I was happy when I played with these kids. Not when someone started to do silly things, that’s when my short-tempered came and I would drag all of them back to the kindergarten. My bad. I know.

 

But tell me how I was supposed to keep it when these kids doing something I dislike? Especially this boy named Kim Myungsoo. Why the hell he needs to annoy me every single day? I almost went broke that I need to treat him ice-cream every day. I sighed again.

 

■□■□

 

“Jung Soomin!” My mum called my name.

 

“Yes, mum!” I answered while doing my homework.

 

“Myungsoo is in front of our house. He said that he wants to meet you.” My mum just said something ridiculous.

 

Myungsoo? That lil brat Kim Myungsoo? You mean the one who annoyed me every single day?

 

“What the hell he wants though?” I whined while bringing myself to the front and opened the door.

 

“What the---” I stopped when I saw he’s giving me something.

 

“What is this?” I asked him.

 

“I don’t know. I just being told to give you.” He explained.

 

I bend my body so that I have the same height as him.

 

“Are you perhaps like me?” I pinched his cheek.

 

“How can I? You’re like a grandmother to me, okay?” The smile on my face faded away as he said that.

 

“How can you--- Ugh, whatever. I’m going to take it.” I take the box from his hand.

 

“That’s what you should do,” He paused. “So, I’m going home. See you tomorrow.” He said then give me a really nice bow and excused himself.

 

“Well, sometimes he could be damn cool.” I mumbled alone.

 

I walked into the house with the box in my hand.

 

What is this?

 

I entered my room and took a sit on my study table. Before I could ever open it, my mum called for dinner.

 

“Okay.” I left the box aside and went down for dinner.

 

■□■□

 

The next day, well wasn’t really different from the other day. I woke up from my bed and took my shower then put on my uniform before having a breakfast with my family. Oh yes, we rarely eat separately, my mum said that we need to eat as a whole family with no exception unless we have unavoidable reason.

 

“Remember to come back home early today.” My mum remind me.

 

“Okay. But I can’t promise. I have exam today.” I whined.

 

“Whatever, all I know on 4 pm you must be at kindergarten.” She said.

 

“Fine.” I grabbed my backpack and went out to wear my shoes. Then I sprinted out from the house as I know I was late for the bus.

 

I walked with a quite quick steps so I could reach bus stop on time and not be late on my first day of exams. I will literally over if I late again today especially when there’s examination involving essay today. I would need the whole hours to complete it because I’m such a loser.

 

When I reached bus stop, I somehow glad that the bus still there seemed like it’s just arrived on time. I put my feet on the bus stairs when the driver suddenly said to me, “Why are you late today? Do you know I need to wait for you for 5 minutes?”

 

I frowned. The driver was waiting for me? But why? I passed a smile towards the driver and gave a bow as sign of gratitude that he waited for me even I don’t even know the reason behind it.

 

People on the bus give me a cold stare when I was walking in front of them. I took a sit beside a boy, seemed like he was in my school as there’s the only seat that empty. I took out a book from my bag and read it before I arrive school.

 

■□■□

 

 

 

“You’re late today.” A girl said as soon as I took a sit on my seat.  

 

“At least it’s before the exam start.” I said sarcastically. My eyes went to a brown box under my desk, “Again?” I hold the box up.

 

“It has been thousand of boxes and you still didn’t know who gives it to you.” Minyoon said.

 

“Shut up, Minyoon. Don’t you know that I am really scared of stalker?” I explained.

 

“But still you never open the box, not even once.” She reached the box in my hand and tried to open before I managed to snap it. “Ouch,” She whined.

 

“Whatever, Kang Minyoon.” I said and keep the box inside my bag.

 

Then the teacher entered the class, and the mid-term examination officially start. That’s the start of hell for me; basically.

 

■□■□

 

“You’re late today.” My mum said as soon as she saw me entering the kindergarten.

 

“I’m sorry.” I said casually. It’s better to say sorry than dragging the conversation longer.

 

“Let’s go to the playground.” The nosy boy came to me and pull my hand out from the building.

 

“For God sake I just put my body in here and not so long till my soul come along. Can you please let me at least to catch a breath?” I said in a medium yell tone.

 

“Don’t shout at the kids.” My mum warned.

 

I rolled my eyes. ‘Don’t shout at the kids.’ Hell yes, you should see how this Kim Myungsoo boy treat me out there before you said that. I entered my not-so-private room. I need to at least change my uniform, right?

 

After a few minutes, I came out from the room with a white tee and dark blue jeans on my body. I prefer to look simple than to be like damn sassy girl who looks like they’re going to flirt with everyone.

 

“Are you going to wear that, Jung Soomin?”

 

Not again, mum. I sighed.

 

“Let’s go.” The boy dragged me out even before I could say anything to my mum.

 

■□■□

 

The boy acted different today. He behaved well not like his usual self. This is weird; for me at least. But that’s only for a while before the boy started to disturb other kids.

 

“Loser.” He said to a girl who fell from the slide.

 

The girl kept crying and her other friends tried to calm her.

 

“What the hell are you doing, Kim Myungsoo?” I shouted at the boy which startled him, a lot.

 

He looked at me with some tears going to fall out from his eyes. But somehow that tears wouldn’t work out on her today.

 

“Can you please just give me a nice day? I didn’t ask much just behave Myungsoo behave.” I said in a low tone.

 

“Who are you to ask my brother to behave?” A voice came right behind of me.

 

I am so ready to give a death stare to the owner of the voice. I turned around and could see an average height boy with a headband stand right in front of me. I smirked.

 

“Your brother? You mean, Kim Myungsoo?” I asked.

 

“Yes, he is.” Myungsoo went towards the guy and hugged him.

 

“Ah, I could see where he got that.” I said and rolled my eyes.

 

“What a rude girl.” He said.

 

“Well, I am a rude girl. No one could deny that.” I paused, “So he’s your brother right? Take him home.” I continued and started to gather the other kids to go back to the kindergarten.

 

I called out for them and the scattered kids before quickly make a line so it’s easy for me to check on them.

 

“1,2,3…..8,9 and…. wait it should be 10.” I panicked before I remember something, “Ah, Myungsoo is not in line.” I turned my attention towards the siblings beside me.

 

“Let’s go guys, we’re going to be late.” I let the kids walked first so no one will be left behind.

 

When I was about to walk, someone grabbed my hand. “Wait,” He said. I snapped my hand from his grab.

 

“What do you want?” I said half shouted.

 

“Just going to say sorry, for being too rude.” He stopped, I wait for his next words as he looks like he’s going to continue it. “Let’s be….. uh friends?”

 

I can’t help myself but smile when he said that. He looks adorable like how he could be damn cold at some time then suddenly turned to a really happy-go-lucky guy. And his smile… It’s really beautiful that I could stare at it for a whole day long without getting bored. I guessed.

 

“I’ll think about that.” I said and started to walk. I smiled at the thought of it.

 

■□■□

 

“Hyung, that’s so wrong.” Myungsoo said to his brother.

 

“What?” He asked.

 

“You need to be more cold!” His brother said.

 

“Look Myungsoo, I’m not going to be what you say. She’s a nice girl and I won’t lie to her.” Myungjun explained.

 

“Whatever.” He ignored his older brother words.

 

“You're frickin 12 years younger than me. That’s so rude.” Myungjun looked stressed as soon as he said that. Well, by now he should know why Soomin hates his brother so much.

 

■□■□

 

“So, let’s see.” I took out the new box I got today from my backpack.

 

I put it on my table and started to arrange it in a nice way. I didn’t know who send this to me, but I felt grateful with it. At least someone is silently appreciating my existence in this world.

 

But… I made a vow to myself that I will never open these boxes until I found who actually sent these boxes to me.

 

I started to count the boxes unexpectedly. It’s just a random thing I usually try to do.

 

“Wow, 30 boxes… So it has been a month since I get these boxes.” I mumbled alone.

 

I really need to find out who gives me these boxes…

 

■□■□

 

A month has passed and I still didn't know who sent the boxes to me and now it has double in number. I have 60 boxes at home and my mom would yell at me if she saw it so I need to hide in my cupboard.

 

The summary of my life for these whole month was Myungjun and me getting closer. Closer than we supposed to be.

 

He would be in the bus I usually ride and save a place for me to sit. He would walk me home every single day after school. He would accompany me taking the kids to the kindergarten. I could say we almost did all things I used to do alone together.

 

■□■□

 

“Do you want some ice-cream?” Myungjun asked me while we were on so not a date.

 

“Are you going to pay for it?” I asked jokingly.

 

“I’m going to buy it but using your money.” He tried to make a joke but it’s so lame.

 

“Can you stop? It’s so… not funny.” I said, and started walking leaving him behind.

 

“Hey, I tried so hard to make you laugh okay? Grumpy girl.” He whined while trying to catch up with my pace.

 

“Wait, what, grumpy girl?” I gave a cold stare to him.

 

“Oh no, what I mean is.” He stuttered.

 

“Chill okay, Kim Myungjun?” I passed a really sweet smile to him before started walking back.

 

“You’re okay with it?” He asked in a low voice.

 

“Not really but it’s okay.” I said and smiled to him again.

 

He passed an awkward smile before continued walking. Am I that scary Kim Myungjun? I looked at him in hope he would hear to it and answer the question without being asking.

 

“Soomin.” Myungjun called my name.

 

“Um, yeah?” I answered, nervous waiting for his next words.

 

Wait, what? Nervous? I am nervous? Beside him? Oh God, heart, do your job… Why are you behaving like this? Stay calm. Please stay calm. I’m having a hard time to breath. Just keep calm.

 

“I have something to tell you.” That words make me nervous even more.

 

Why am I even nervous?

 

I’m waiting for the next words but there’s nothing coming out from his lips. I took a peek at him and could see he’s playing with his fingers looked like he’s hesitating to tell me about it.

 

“Myungjun?” I tapped his shoulders when there’s no answer for few minutes.

 

“Oh, yeah? Nothing.” He said, refusing to tell what he wanted to tell me before.

 

“Oh, okay.” I said with a disappointed tone.

 

■□■□

 

“Jung Soomin!” Someone shouted my voice from afar.

 

I put my head on the table tried to handle the embarrassment she gave me.

 

“Soomin, Soomin.” She excitedly called for my name. “I have a big surprise to you.” She said.

 

“What?” I whined.

 

“I know the mysterious guy who sent the boxes to you.” Her words catched my attention.

 

I waited for her to say it and stayed silent.

 

“Do you know the boy in the other class? What his name? Um,” She paused, I waited half-patiently. “Ha, Kim Myungjun. Myungjun. The one who sent the boxes to you. It’s Myungjun.”

 

I stunned. Speechless. I don’t know whether to believe her words or not. Kim Myungjun? Myungjun? What the she has been talking about? I giggled.

 

“You gotta be kidding me right?” I asked.

 

“Why would I? Why, did you know him?” She asked me back.

 

The smile on my face just now faded away when I saw he’s standing in front of our class looking at me like he’s saying yes to everything to my friend words.

 

I looked at the box on my table. I grabbed it and stood up, startled the other kids in the class. All their eyes were on me, judging me so hard.

 

“Yah, Soomin. Are you okay?” Minyoon held onto my arms but I snapped it.

 

I walked out from the class and grabbed Myungjun’s hand then dragged him away from there.

 

“Soomin.” Myungjun tried to stop me but failed.

 

I was way too strong, maybe because I was mad at this moment. So yeah. I dragged him till we reached the rooftop before I let his hand go.

 

“What is this?” I asked him in a quite high tone which startled him.

 

“Uh, that. I don’t know.” He tried to deny the truth.

 

“Don’t lie to me, Kim Myungjun.” I paused, “So along all these times you're the one who sent me those boxes?”

 

“Look Soomin. I could explain.” He tried but I cut his words.

 

“I don’t need any of your explanation.” I leave him alone as soon as I said that.

 

I smiled.

 

■□■□


 

I went home early with an excuse that I was so-frickin-sick today when the fact was I just want to open the boxes at my home. Remember when I vowed that I won’t open it till I found the sender?

 

I don’t know why but knowing that the person who has been constantly gives me these stuff for the whole months was Myungjun. It makes me feel good about it. At least it’s not some strangers on the road.

 

But wait…. do I like him? I shook my head at my own thoughts. There’s no way I could like him. I mean… He’s my friend though? How could we ruined our friendship over this? Um, I don’t know.

 

I took a sit in front of my study table and stared at the boxes in front of me.

 

Should I really open these?

 

I put my backpack on my lap and opened it to take out another box I get today. I put it onto the tower boxes as if it’s going to fall anytime from now.

 

I reached the first box I got from him. I opened the box slowly and there’s nothing in the box other than a paper?

 

What the heck is this?

 

I opened the paper and helplessly smiling when I read it.

 

“I don’t know he’s this type of guy…”

 

 

`Hi, Jung Soomin. From today onwards, you will get a box every day. I know you’re curious about who I am but don’t worry. I don’t do this to harm you. It’s just the easiest way for me to tell you how grateful I am to meet a girl like you. You may not know me but I am here, with you.`

 

 

I quickly grabbed the second box and opened it. I was lucky that I marked the date I got it on the box so it’s easier to find out what’s next.

 


 

`Today as usual, I will observe you from afar, looking and admiring at your smile as you’re the only person with the ability to make me smile without even trying.`


 

 

What the-------? Myungjun, please.

 

I opened the next box.


 

`When you think you are not happy with your life, always think that someone is happy simply because of you.`


 

I stunned. This is the day when I thought that my life has ended when I failed my Mathematics paper… I should read this earlier and I would probably have a better day back then.

 

So, Myungjun has been watching me all these times? And our first meeting was a fake?


 

`To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by the others. You just need to accept yourself.`


 

`I think of you. I just can’t talk to you right now. I miss you. I just can’t admit it right now. I need you. I just can’t show you right. I love you. I just can’t tell you right now.`


 

What the ---- This is so cheesy Kim Myungjun.

 

I just read 4 of the boxes and I already feel like I’m dying.

 

I continued to read it and I could expect that it’s full of cheesy words that I would never imagine that it’s Myungjun who wrote these.


 

`Sad, isn’t it? I lay awake at night thinking about you, and you hardly know who I am.`


 

I giggled.


 

`I wish I could just ask you what you think of me.`


 

“You should just do that Myungjun.”

 

`Hi. I tried to say hi to you today but someone said it was too early for it. So I’ll keep sending these boxes to you till the day we met!`


 

Whatever, Myungjun.


 

`You had a bad day again. I wish I could be there and calm you down. I wish I could be there and wipe your tears. But… I wasn’t there for you and you don’t even know my existence.`



 

“You should come earlier if you know that.”


 

`Watching you smile make me smile helplessly.`


 

`Doing your best is fine but don’t let people bring you down.`


 

`You cried again today. I wish I could wipe those tears and make you smile.`



 

“You always make me smile Kim Myungjun.”


 

`If I had a flower for every time I thought of you ... I could walk through my garden forever.`


 

`You are the one girl that made me risk everything for a future worth having.`


 

`Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.`


 

`All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.`


 

“But you never show yourself back then.”


 

`You are more powerful than you know; you are beautiful just as you are.`



 

`Don’t be afraid to speak up for yourself. Keep fighting for your dreams!`



 

`The power you have is to be the best version of yourself you can be, so you can create a better world.`



 

`Forget about the fast lane. If you really want to fly, just harness your power to your passion.`



 

`Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.`



 

`No matter what you look like or think you look like you’re special and loved and perfect just the way you are.`



 

“How can he knows almost everything about my daily life? This stalker is fckin creepy.”

 

I felt tired reading it and decided to take some air. I put the boxes left in my bag and opened my room door. I startled when I saw my mum right in front of me looking at me like I just kill someone.

 

“Are you okay? Where are you going?” My mum asked.

 

“I need some fresh air.” I said.

 

“Oh, okay.” What? Wow, it’s weird. Her response is weird.

 

But whatever, I couldn’t care less about it. I want to go out.


 

■□■□


 

I took a sit on the bench and started to settle myself down. I opened my bag and took out the boxes. I opened the next box but there’s a hand stopped me from doing it.

 

“Myung---- Myungjun.”

 

“You don’t need to read all of that.”

 

“What do you want creepy stalker?”

 

“Okay, look. I’m sorry that I stalk you almost everyday.”

 

“Finally, you admit it.”

 

“But it’s not my fault that I fall in love with you.”

 

He cupped his mouth as he said that. I smiled.

 

“What did you just say?”

 

“Nothing.” He tried to avoid my question.

 

“I’m pretty sure that you say you love me.” I .

 

“If yes, then what?”

 

“Um, nothing.”

 

I started to open the next box which was the box I get today.


 

“Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering..”

 

If you'd just give me a chance, I'll prove to you that I'll be one of the best decisions you'll ever make.”

 

I looked upon him. He looked relaxed as he said that.

 

“I know that’s so sudden but I just want to tell you that I really like you, ever since I meet you for the first time at the kindergarten. At that moment, I know you are the one. You are the one for me and there’s no way for me to let you go.” He paused. “But I was afraid, I was afraid that you might push me away if you ever know my true feelings.”

 

 

Slowly, I stood up and back hugged him. He stunned.

 

 

“You shouldn’t be afraid Myungjun. Because for the first time in my life, I could have someone who always make me smile without trying. And that’s you. Thank you for coming into my life and,” I stopped, “I love you too.”