Hide&Seek

Spring Up

 

 

 

 

“Hide carefully, I might see you because you shine brighter than anyone else, I can find you anywhere.”

 

As usual, Rocky would be in his practice room practicing for his upcoming competition. After he had been admitted in hospital for few months because of the injury he got on his leg, he needed to do his best for this competition. To realize it’s a grand event, he works even hard for it.

 

But somehow he’s glad that the surgery went well or else he wouldn’t be here anymore. He would have needed to forget all his dreams about being the most skillful taekwondo player. He thanks God over this.

 

###

 

Bae Seulrin was walking alone by herself at the park near Rocky’s practice room.

 

While waiting for him, she decided to take some pictures using the DSLR that he gave her which was his. But since it’s her hobby to travel and take pictures, she insisted to have Rocky’s camera as he didn’t use it often because of the packed schedule he had for his taekwondo classes.

 

When she was in her own world, a mewl brought her back to the reality. She could assure that it’s a cat sound or to be precise, the faint whisper of a kitten’s, and as a cat lover, she couldn’t just simply ignore it.

 

At the end, she switches off the camera in order to find the sound that she heard just now.

 

From afar, she could see a cat with a delicate shade of gray, so soft that even in broad daylight it looked like a shadow rather than a feline.

 

The kitten was lying on the ground without moving a single bit. She assumed that the kitten must be somehow injured on its leg. When she approached the kitten, it meowed even louder than before showed that he’s scared but couldn’t run away.

 

“No, don’t worry. I won’t hurt you. I just want to help.” Seulrin said to the kitten, even she knows that it’s almost impossible for the cat to actually understand what she tried to say.

 

She approached the cat and patted the cat’s head, which made the cat let another mewl come out from his tiny mouth while closing his eyes. It’s just like any other cat who loves to be petted and pampered.

 

Then she took the cat into her embrace and caressed him.

 

“Let me take you to the hospital.” She started walking with the cat in her hand. The cat kept letting out some strange noise as he didn’t feel comfortable with the situation. Plus, he’s hurting so no wonder it kept making a sound.

 

“Just wait for a little bit more. I’m sure that your leg will be just fine!” She was having some nonsense conservation with the cat before finally arriving at the hospital.

 

“Here we are, sure thing you’ll be okay!” She passed a smile towards the cat before planted a kiss towards his tiny head.

 

Bae Seulrin and her addiction towards cat; there’s nothing to say about it. Just, it’s beyond the limit.

 

###

 

“So whose cat is this?” The doctor asked her as it has been countless of times already since this girl will bring a stray cat to get some treatment here. It wasn’t even rare to see her here at least once a day.

 

The doctor examined the cat and she could say that the cat has broken his leg and it’s quite bad.

 

When she about to cry, her phone rang notifying her that she had an unread message. She put her hand into her backpack to find her smartphone.

 

As soon as she found it, she took out the phone while her eyes were still on the cat who was kept making strange sounds. It hurts her to take a look towards the cat.

 

Then, she unlocked her phone and clicked on the message. Her lips stretched into a smile as soon as she saw the name of the sender.

 

“Park Minhyuk?” The doctor asked her when she saw Seulrin was smiling happily while looking at her phone screen. Seulrin just passed a slight smile towards the doctor as a yes answer.

 

 

`Bae Seulrin, where are you? It has been 5 minutes since I was here and I still can’t see you.` - Rocky

`Hospital.` - Seulrin

`Wait, hospital? Why are you even there?` - Rocky

`I’m hurting.` - Seulrin

`You gotta be kidding me, clumsy.` - Rocky

`Stop calling me clumsy, Rocky. I’m not clumsy.` - Seulrin

`You’re clumsy, clumsy. Wait a minute. I’ll be there.` - Rocky

`Hurry up. I might die anytime soon.` - Seulrin

`Stop with your jokes. It isn’t working.` - Rocky

`:-P` - Seulrin

 

###

 

Rocky, who was on the other side, felt weird about how the girl could be in the hospital? Fricking weird, actually. It’s true that she’s clumsy but not to that extent that she would be in the hospital.

 

“Ugh, I don’t know. I will just go there and see what happen.” Deep in his heart, he was deadly worried if something bad actually happened towards the girl.

 

With a quick step, he walked towards his destination which is the hospital. In the meantime, he kept looking at the watch on his hand.

 

He may look calm from the outside but no, he was incredibly nervous because of Bae Seulrin.

 

###

 

“I’ll fly over to you like a butterfly.”

 

“Bae Seulrin, what are you doing here?” Her eyes fell upon a rather lovely sight. With the wind blowing softly through those gorgeous locks, he looked like a Modern Greek god.

 

His jawline wasn’t that sharp, she thought, but it looked strong nonetheless. He had a pair of almond-shaped eyes that gave him a look that could be interpreted as an “I don’t give a ” look. His nose was a little on the big side but it fits him perfectly.

 

Finally, her eyes landed on a pair of the most delectable lips that was just begging to be kissed but then she realized who she was looking at and she forcefully shoved those thoughts away.

 

“Oh, Changkyun.” She startled as soon as she remembered all the thought she had just now.

 

Before Changkyun could even let out any other words, another man came into the room, that presence irritated Changkyun to a dangerous extent. Changkyun then rolled his eyes before gave a death glare towards Rocky.

 

“Bae Seulrin, are you okay?” He approached Seulrin and examined her as she’s his.

 

He looked at her hand. He checked her face. He checked her leg. But there’s no sign that she’s hurting.

 

He frowned before he heard something weird. He spun her body around just to see there’s a tiny cat on the stroller and now he knows the truth behind why Seulrin could be here in the hospital.

 

“Sorry.” The only word that could come out from Seulrin’s mouth when Rocky gave a glare towards her. Rocky let out a slow sigh, at least there’s nothing wrong with this girl, he thought.

 

“Park Minhyuk, are you okay? Don’t work too hard or else, you couldn’t be in any competition anymore.” The doctor said as an advice towards him as it’s her who treats Rocky in the first place, so she knows better about Rocky’s condition right now.

 

“What’s with his leg?” Seulrin asked the doctor. “Minhyuk, you said that your legs were totally fine?” She turned her attention to Rocky who was refusing to give any answer to any of them right now.

 

He knows he wasn’t supposed to start practicing right now, but it has been 3 months since his hiatus. How the hell he would hold his will to be in competition?

 

It has been suffocating enough for him at this moment; being in the same room with this guy. The way he stared Seulrin, lately, disturbed him so much.

 

Without having any concern on his environment, Rocky pulled Seulrin’s hand and brought her out from the room.

 

“Wait, the cat.” Seulrin couldn’t continue her word as Rocky kept dragging her to somewhere she didn’t even know.

 

###

 

“Did you notice? Yellow flowers already bloomed.”

 

“It’s all your fault, Rocky.” Seulrin pouted her lips while slowly hitting the table with both of her palms.

 

“What?” Rocky asked as he couldn’t understand anything that she’s trying to say.

 

“Just look at the cat. How can I meet a random cat on the road and end up bringing them to the hospital? And every single time, you will run to me as it was me who was hurting.” Rocky let out a small laugh as he heard that.

 

“Sorry. I kept forgetting that you’re a cat lover.” Rocky said and passed a smile towards the girl. How much has he adored the girl who was sitting in front of him? There’s no word could describe it.

 

“Of course you are, Rocky.” She put his head on the table before continued her words. “You’re too busy with your classes and there’s no time for you to think about me.” She said and closed her eyes.

 

I think about you every single moment in my life, there’s not even a second that I didn’t think of you. It’s always you, wandering around in my mind. It’s only you, Bae Seulrin. Those words just playing in his mind for a while without any intent on saying it out loud. Maybe not now, or later.

 

“Yeah, I got no time for you. That’s right.” He let out the words that he didn’t mean to say it. It’s totally contradictory with what has been on his mind just now.

 

She and I are life-long friends. There are many life-long friends but we share something special. A life-long friend because of our mother’s friendship, we were practically friends before even being born. With no input or say so from me, the first girl I held hand, the first girl I kissed and the first girl I showered with together was the formidable Bae Seulrin.

 

“Whatever Park Minhyuk.” She didn’t know why but she felt slightly hurt by Rocky’s words. Those words that came out from Rocky’s lips hit her like a tree branch slapping in her face.

 

“I’m going back to college,” Seulrin said and started walking away from the guy who was still staring at her but refusing to say anything to her. And again, Seulrin has the thought on her mind that she wasn’t even important to the guy named Park Minhyuk.

 

###

 

“Stop looking, you’ll burn a hole through it,” said Yewon who saw her friend. Naeun was staring at Rocky’s portrait diligently with a grin pasted on her face. She really looks as though she’s in love with him.

 

“The only thing I don’t get sick watching day after day is this Almighty guy,” Naeun said before someone came in from the main door. Both of them turned their head to see who was coming.  

 

“Oh, you’re back?” Yewon asked when she saw Seulrin took a sit at her place.

 

“Yeah.” She answered it with an earthy tone.

 

She’s deep in her own world before recalled the cat’s condition. Oh my God, the cat!

 

Quickly, she took her phone out from the backpack and dialed the doctor who treated the cat just now.

 

“Hello, doctor. What about the cat I brought in just now? Is he okay?” She asked as soon as the doctor picked up the phone.

 

“He’s fine. No worries. You could take him later.” The doctor said, which made Seulbi let out a sigh of relief.

 

“Okay, thank you, doctor.” She ended the call and put the phone on her table back.

 

“Look at this girl. She’s always with her cat.” Naeun said while shook her head as it’s hard to believe how obsessed Seulrin was with cats. “By the way, did you have your lunch with Almighty Park Minhyuk?” She continued her words.

 

“Um, Almighty?” Seulrin frowned when she heard that. What Minhyuk did to be called Almighty? He did nothing though.

 

“Oh yes, Mr. Cha asked you to meet Im Changkyun. I don’t really know why but here.” Yewon passed some documents to her.

 

“Changkyun? That super annoying guy? Glad that I wasn’t the one who should meet him.” Naeun said sarcastically.

 

“What is this?” She took the brown envelope from Yewon and opened it. Yewon just shook her head indicated that she didn’t know what’s in the envelope.

 

Then, she passed a bitter smile towards her classmates before turned her body and focused on her works.

 

At some moment, Seulrin will be drowning in her own thought as everything that happened around her was confusing enough.

 

Her mind was wandering around about what the hell was on Rocky’s mind lately. Or it’s just her who was put too much thought about it? Uh, it’s so annoying. It’s better for me to not say anything about this.

 

###

 

“You messed up your leg and have nerve to whine?” The doctor hit Rocky’s back which made he shouted over it.

 

“What about the cat? Is he okay?” He glanced at the cat that was sleeping silently on the bed beside him. The cat looks so cute; just like the one who found him. He grinned as soon as he thought about that.

 

“He’s fine. Seulrin will take her later.” The doctor said and again she hit Rocky because intentionally changed the topic that they were talking about. “Let’s talk about your leg.” She marked her words so that Rocky will not try to change the topic again.

 

“You started your training right? Your leg is swollen, again.” She gave stare towards Rocky before continue examined his legs.

 

Well, no one could stop Park Minhyuk though. He will do anything he wants and he will get everything he wants; let’s not include his love. His love story is kind of complicated.

 

He knows he was badly hurt back then but as long as he can practice, he will do it. No matter how much it will cost. He could be simply said as a guy who didn’t think of anything when he do something and think about the consequences later.

 

“When will it get better?” Rocky asked without answering any of the questions that the doctor asked. He didn’t want to answer it. He refused to say anything about it. As he knows, at the end it’ll always be his fault. So it’s better for him to stay quiet at moment like this and just tell them when the stuff getting worse. That’s what he always said in his daily life.

 

“Not till the next event. How many times do I have to tell you about this thing? Should I make a sign and put it on my chest? Promise me, you won’t do anything for the next event or you couldn’t enter any of other events after this.” Rocky pouted his lips as soon as he heard that. He had done a lot of things for the next event and now she said that I couldn’t participate? Uh, life is unfair. He let out a deep sigh.

 

“Of course, I…” He took a deep breath before continue it, “I won’t do it.” He passed a smile towards the doctor. Even deep in his heart, he was silently dying inside.

 

“You’re unpredictable. I couldn’t believe in you.” The doctor said before warned him, “I warn you. If you ever go to your classes, I will lock you up in this room.” Her word wasn’t even scary for him. He thought. Then, he let out a small laugh before his phone rang.

 

`Hey, just going to say that I’ll be around your practice room.` - Seulrin

 

The corners of his mouth lift up into a smile when he read the message. With the smile pasted on his face, his fingers doing his work to reply the message.

 

“Who’s that? Why are you grinning?” She said without take a look at him while cleaning up the mess she did after treat the boy.

 

“Who? Me?” Rocky asked while his eyes still on the screen. He was still thinking about what he should send as a reply to Seulrin’s message.

 

“What, are you in love these days?” The doctor smirked to him as soon she said it. Rocky just shook his head indicated that he didn’t know anything about that.

 

“What love? I’ll be going. See you later.” He put his phone in his pocket without replying to Seulrin’s message. He totally forgot about the message. He took his jacket on the bed before excusing himself to go to his practice room as Seulrin said she would be there in few minutes.

 

“But does it really show?” He stopped walking and went towards the room back just to ask the question towards the doctor. The doctor just laughed over his question so does Rocky as he didn’t know that it looks so obvious.

 

###

 

“You shine; even your eyes are different.”

 

Seulrin stood in front of the entrance without any intention to enter the building. She looked around, hoping that Rocky would be somewhere here and help her to meet Changkyun because there’s a big dog in front of the door of the building. She didn’t dare to even get closer to it.

 

“Bae Seulrin, aren’t you going in?” Again, the guy with a pair of almond shaped eyes greeted her. She turned around and passed a smile towards him.

 

That smile. I wish I could see it often. He thought.

 

“Uh, no. The dog in front of your building was too big and I don’t think I could handle it.” She said while pointed out to the dog that was sleeping in front of the door.

 

The dog was large with a brindled coat and an extravagant ruff of fur around its neck and a long tail that curved like the hook of a coat hanger.

 

“Oh, then why are you here?” He continually asked the girl as he didn’t even want to leave this girl alone. He just wants to spend more time alone with the girl.

 

“Ah, that’s right. I need to give something to you but I think it’s not appropriate to talk about it here.” Changkyun’s lips automatically shaped an upward curve as soon as heard that words.

 

Finally, he could be with her without anyone by her side.

 

“Then, I will meet you after I had done with my work. I will text you the address.” He said and passed his phone to Seulrin so that he could get her number and contact her later.

 

“Sure.” Seulrin asked as she wanted the stuff to end as soon as possible.

 

“Then…” Before he could ever continue his words, someone greeted Seulrin.

 

“Bae Seulrin.” Someone said from afar and both of them turned their head to see whose coming. As usual, Changkyun would roll his eyes and stared at Rocky like he killed thousands of people.

 

“Oh. Minhyuk.” Seulrin passed a smile towards him as she felt excited that she could see him again even its only 3 hours since she met him.

 

“Seulrin, see you later. I need to go now.” Changkyun interrupted the conversation and excused himself because he felt uncomfortable with Minhyuk’s presence between Seulrin and him.

 

“Oh, okay. Sure.” She said and gave a little bow towards Changkyun before turned her attention towards Rocky who just stay silent while they’re talking.

 

“What are you doing here with him?” Rocky asked in a jealous tone but it’s almost impossible for Seulrin to understand it. Because they’re friends; like really good friends so it’s normal for him to ask her about it even it’s in different tone.

 

“Ah, I need to give something to him.” Seulrin said while taking out the camera from her backpack and passed it to Rocky.

 

“Do you give up with photography?” Rocky frowned when Seulrin gave the camera to him. Did she perhaps will ask me to take some pictures of Changkyun? Oh hell no, not in thousand years. He thought.

 

“What the hell are you talking about? I just want to give you this camera back. I’ve been holding it for too long.” She explained to him.

 

“It’s yours.” He said and his lips curved upwards.

 

“Really?” Seulrin went excited and her face forming a really bright smile.

 

“Yes, my clumsy.” Rocky ruffled the girl’s hair before pinched her cheeks.

 

“Thank you. This is why you should be my side, be my friend forever and ever after.” Her eyes travelled to the camera that’s in her hand. Finally, the camera will be her. She could have bought herself a camera by now but she has bond with this camera so it’s hard for her to let it go.

 

The look on Rocky’s face turned to a bitter one as he didn’t expect to hear the word ‘friend’ came out from Seulrin’s mouth. Well, yes, they’re friends. He couldn’t deny that but… it’s weird.

 

###

 

“Did you wait for a long time?” Seulrin woke up from her daydream; it’s already night, when someone touched her shoulders.

 

“Uh. No.” Seulrin said when she saw the owner of the hand. To be honest, it has been 30 minutes since she was here. There’s nothing to do at home and she was bored. So it’s better to come early rather than sit at home and doing nothing.

 

“So, here.” Seulrin passed the envelope that she got in the evening towards Changkyun. She thinks that it’s good to get over it as soon as possible. She didn’t want to be with this guy for so long.

 

“Chill, Seulrin. We could talk more.” Changkyun said to stop Seulrin from going away. After all, the chance for him to be alone with the girl is so infrequent.

 

“I’m sorry but I really need to go.” She said as an excuse to run away from Changkyun. The uneasy feelings when she was with this guy, it doesn’t feel so right. It’s so awkward for her.

 

She stood up and started to walk away from Changkyun. She pushed the entrance door to get out from there. She hopes that she could be alone tonight. She doesn’t know why but her heart insisted her to do it.

 

Changkyun who saw her walking away, at first he wanted to let her go but suddenly his heart kept saying no and told him to stop wasting his chance to get closer with Seulrin. If he wants to be someone important in her life, he should take actions by now or else he will lost her, forever.

 

He put some money on the table before he went after the girl. He took his feet out from the café and tried to spot for the girl. Then he saw someone was walking without any direction to go. He started to chase the girl and grabbed her hand to stop her from moving any further.

 

“Bae Seulrin.” Changkyun grasped for a breath as he said that.

 

She snapped her hand and gave a cold stare towards Changkyun. “What do you want?” The tone of her voice changed from the one she used just now. Her tone changed as if she hates what Changkyun did to her just now.

 

“Give me a chance.” He said and leaves Seulrin in confusion. What kind of chance? There’s nothing going on between them. She thought.

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” Seulrin looked at Changkyun with full of doubtfulness. She was curious with what actually Changkyun tries to tell her.  

 

“I like you.” He said it with wholeheartedly. He really meant it.

 

He likes her, since the first time he saw her two years ago but only now, only now did he have the courage to approach her and confess.

 

“What?” She said in a state of disbelief. Changkyun likes me? Joke.

 

“I’m not kidding. I really like you, since the first time I met you, 2 years ago.” He tried to explain as if he could read what’s going on in Seulrin mind.       

          

“Stop joking, Im Changkyun.” She let out a small laugh as she thought everything that she heard just now was another joke made by Changkyun to make her confuse. But wait, why should he?

                     

“I’m serious.” He took Seulrin’s hand into his and deeply stared into her eyes to find an answer.

 

“Just, forget about it.” Again, she snapped her hand and spun her body around to the other way then started moving away from Changkyun.

 

###

 

From afar, Rocky could saw two figures that he really knows. Slowly, he approached them by a silent step but his facial expression changed as soon as he saw Changkyun was holding onto Seulrin’s arms.

 

He went towards them and removed Changkyun’s hand from Seulrin’s. Seulrin who felt like someone was there together with them, turned her body again just to see that Rocky was staring at Changkyun like he was going to kill him anytime.

 

“Park--- Park Minhyuk.” She stuttered.

 

“What the hell are you doing?” Rocky grabbed Changkyun by his collar as he said that.

 

Changkyun then passed a grin towards Rocky as he knew that Rocky wouldn’t do anything bad to him especially when Seulrin is there, with them.

 

“Minhyuk,” Seulrin said. “Minhyuk, stop it.” She held onto Rocky’s arms and asked him to let Changkyun go.

 

Slowly, he loosens his grip and took a deep breath before grabbed Seulrin’s hand to bring her away from Changkyun.

 

###

 

She pulled her hand away from Rocky’s and stopped herself.

 

“Why did you do that?” She asked.

 

He turned around and observed the expression on Seulrin’s face. She seems like she’s mad at me?

 

“Do what?” He asked. “You mean, grabbed Changkyun by his collar and yelled at him?”

 

“Yes, why would you do that?” She fixed her gaze and bravely looked into his eyes.

 

“Obviously, he’s hurting you. So should I just stay away from you and do nothing?”

 

“I know how to handle it. Why---“ Rocky cuts her words.

 

“Handle? Are you sure you could do anything without me?” His lips curved into a smirk. “Bae Seulrin, you have been relying on me for these whole 18 years and now you said you could handle that psycho guy?”

 

“Why would you think I couldn’t do anything without you?” She stuttered as she said the words.

 

All the things that he said just now were true. She never do anything alone, there’s always Rocky by her side.

 

“Then go and do it.”

 

“Leave me alone.”

 

“Fine.”

 

Rocky gave up and took a step away, leaving the girl alone in the middle of the empty road.

 

###

 

While he was walking alone, he reminded of the conversation between Seulrin and him a few days ago.

 

“Seulrin, what do you think about me?” He asked while staring at the sky.

 

“Um, you’re a great person.” She said and took a glance towards Rocky.

 

“That’s all?”

 

“You’re a nice guy. Probably the best guy friend I ever had in my life.”

 

“Do you even have any other guy friend?” He giggled.

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

“Who am I to you?”

 

“My friend. My best friend. Forever.”

 

Rocky went speechless as he heard it. That’s mean along all this time; he was nothing other than just a friend to her? He spent his whole life with this girl and he meant nothing to her?

 

“That’s all?” Again, he asked.

 

“Yes.” She said with no doubt.

 

“Okay then.” Slowly he closed his eyes to give his mind some space to calm himself down.

 

###

 

“My hands tremble because of you.”

 

He let out a sigh. The sigh was resigned and weary. He felt lost. Lost in his own mind.  It looked like there’s an endless maze in his mind right now. There’s no way out. There’s no door. He couldn’t go anywhere. He will forever be in this maze and trying to find the right path for him to go. He has a long journey till he reaches the end point.

 

Without knowing when and how, he needs to confront everything that will come through his endless journey and be confident.

 

Maybe one day, his love would be his. He just needs to wait for the right time and right day. Till it happens, he will never give up and let her hands go. He will hold onto the girl as long as he can, even if the girl keeps her distance away from him.

 

###

 

“Was I being too much towards Minhyuk just now? He’s just helping me.” She muttered the words while walking alone to home.

 

“Am I? Was I?” She ruffled her own hair and confused with everything happened around her.

 

When she reached at the gate in front of her house, she stopped and stood there for a while. She took out her phone from her bag and held it well.

 

Should I text him or nah?

 

Slowly, she started to type something and chose the recipient. Every time she wrote of something, she would press the backspace key for countless of times as if she didn’t know what to say to the boy. Either to say sorry or stay mad.

 

A sigh came out from . She didn’t know how many times she has sigh for today? Life is just complicated. She thought. She was supposed to lead a good life and be successful one fine day, but everything just keeps tangling up and seems like there’s no end of it. Her life will forever be complicated and she will drown in her own problems.

 

'Are you mad?`

 

She clicked the send button and sighed.

 

A few seconds later, Seulbi heard a beep sound around her. She looked around but there's nothing. She took a look at her phone but there's no message coming in.

 

She thought that she should just ignore the sound then opened the gate of her house using the key that she hides under the pot. Well, she left her key at office. Hell yeah, her fault.

 

Again, she sighed. When she reached her front door, she stopped for a while to take out her shoes from her feet. After that, she would throw away her shoes and left it in front of her door like she always did.

 

She turned the knob of the door and took a step forward into her house. As usual, she would search for the lamp switch and opened it. With a lazy walk, she went into the sofa that's located in the middle of the living room and slammed herself onto it.

 

She put her hand onto her forehead and stared at the white ceiling. She tried to remember all the things that happened today. If she could put it in words, she would be the most successful novelist in the world.

 

When she was in her deep thought, her phone beeped, showing that she received a message. Automatically, a sweet smile plastered itself on her face as she was sure that it's Rocky who sent the message.

 

With a cheerful look, she unlocked her phone and opened the message. Her face changed 360° degrees when she read it. It seems like the message wasn't the one that she's been waiting for.

 

'I'm sorry. I know that it's my fault.` – Changkyun

 

She throws her phone onto another sofa and tried to close her eyes. She wanted to forget everything. Even if Changkyun likes her, it's almost impossible for her to like him back. She didn't know why but that's it.

 

###

 

Rocky was looking at Seulrin from the other side of road and hiding behind the wall, even though he left her alone just now because he's mad at her. That didn’t meanmean he will let the girl walk alone by herself. He will never forget to be by her side every single day.

 

He saw Seulrin stopped herself from walking and took out her phone. He saw that her face looks serious and anxious as if she tried to send a message to someone. Is it for me?

 

Suddenly, his phone beep and startled him. He could see that Seulrin was looking at him and pretending like she could see him but obviously she's not. Rocky quickly hide behind the wall so that Seulrin wouldn't see him.

 

Then, he turned his attention towards the phone in his hand. He looked at the message for quite a long time before he decided to take a peek once again.

 

When he looked at the way of Seulrin's house, she's gone. So, Rocky assumed that she's already in the house which made him let out a sigh of relief.

 

He stood there for a while and thought about the message. Was he really mad at the girl? Or it's just he felt annoyed because the girl didn't understand what he's trying to say and what he feels along all this time? He sighed.

 

'No.'

 

###

 

Seulrin startled when she heard another beep sound came from her phone. And it's a lie if she said that she wasn't hoping for Rocky to reply her message.

 

She then tried to reach her phone on the other sofa but her hand was too short for it. So she needs to stand up and take it. She took a sit at the sofa before clicked on the message.

 

'No.' –Rocky

 

She didn't know why but helplessly she smiles once she read the message. He seems mad but she's just too happy that she could get a reply from him.

 

'I know that you're mad.' - Seulrin

'Then why would you ask?' - Rocky

'Well, I'm sorry?' - Seulrin

'I don't know that we need question marks to say sorry.' - Rocky

'Minhyuk, I'm serious.' -Seulrin

'Do I look like I made a joke?' - Rocky

'What the hell is wrong with you? I was trying to say sorry okay.' - Seulrin

'Then it's over. You have said it right?' - Rocky

 

She shrugged. She didn't know that this guy would act this way. Along all this time, Rocky would let her win in everything and gave up on anything just for her. But now it's different.

 

She took a deep breath before started to type the message.

 

'Okay, look. I don't even know why you could be this angry and hell yeah, I need you to tell me why you're mad at me so I could say sorry to you and make it up for my mistakes.' – Seulrin

 

###

 

He let the message in-reply and even un-read. He was tired with everything. He knows he's being childish at the moment but he couldn't help it as his ego right now was so high and probably could reach Burj Khalifa.

 

He grabbed his phone that was on the table and unlocked it.

 

'I don't know.'

 

He stared at the screen of his phone and looked at the message he just type, trying to decide whether he should send the message or not.

 

After he sends this message, he knows that he will leave Seulrin hanging by herself. But whatever, he clicked the send button and put the phone back onto the table before closed his eyes while his hand on his forehead.

 

###

 

'I don't know.' - Rocky

 

Seulrin read the latest message from Rocky for countless of times. She has been waiting for 10 minutes and this was all he could type for her? Of course, she was hoping that Rocky would tell her, her mistakes so she could make it up.

 

When she was about to ignore the message and calm her mind down, a new message popped out in the conversation which made her focused on her phone back.

 

'Am I just a friend to you?' - Rocky

 

She felt odd with the question that being asked by Rocky. Wasn't it obvious that he's her friend?

 

'No. Not really.' - Seulrin

 

###

 

When he reads the message, he started to hope that the answer he wants will finally come to him.

 

'Then who is me?' - Rocky

 

He waited for the reply with a nervous feeling. He thought that he could get the answer that he needs but no. His facial expression changed as soon as he reads the message.

 

'My best-friend-forever.' - Seulrin

 

###

 

It’s not easy to get you.”

 

It’s been a week since Rocky and Seulrin last met. Rocky didn’t call Seulrin and Seulrin would avoid herself from calling the boy first. A week was like a year for Seulrin but she never try to approach the boy first. She never ever tries to call him or message him and it’s all because the influence of her ego.

 

She knows she’s been missing for Rocky and didn’t feel right about it but no. She won’t call him until he’s the one who call him.

 

“When will Minhyuk call me?” She whined as she stared her phone screen for quite a long time.

 

“Park Minhyuk, why would you do this to me?” She tapped her screen which has her picture with Rocky as the wallpaper.

 

What the hell I did to you? I did nothing okay. Minhyuk, please. Call me. CALL ME NOW. I’m hungry.

 

“Seulrin let’s go and grab your lunch.” Yewon greeted the girl who looks like she’s lost in her own world.

 

Seulrin then woke up from her daydream and passed a bitter smile towards the two girls who were standing in front of her before she shook her head.

 

“Okay then.” Naeun said and pulled Ye Won's hand to go and take their lunch.

 

She sighed. Ah, whatever. She put her head on the table and tried to close her eyes along with her hungry stomach.

 

###

 

It’s been a week, Park Minhyuk. It’s been a week. Till when you want to observe her from afar, walked with her to home in a distant. Wasn’t that a childish thing to do? But at least I do follow her everyday right, to make sure she’s safe? Uh, I don’t know. I’ve been missing her so badly for this whole week but no. I won’t call her till she says her true feelings to me. I don’t know when but pretty sure it will come soon. But what if she says that she likes Changkyun? Hell no?! Could you just stop thinking Park Minhyuk? Okay, stop.

 

A tap on his shoulders disturbed his wandering mind and caused him to choke. He turned his head just to roll his eyes because of Im Changkyun.

 

“Hey.” He greeted Rocky with a smile attached on his face like a gum.

 

“What do you want?” Rocky asked in an annoying tone as he didn’t like to be alone with this rude guy.

 

“I didn’t see Seulrin lately. Why?” His question made Rocky give a cold stare at Changkyun who was sitting right in front him.

 

“It’s none of your business.” He said and stood up before walking away from Changkyun.

 

Changkyun then took out his phone and typed something.

 

###

 

‘Let’s meet. I have something to tell you.’ – Changkyun

 

Seulrin frowned when she saw the message. Changkyun wants to meet me? Why?

 

`Okay?`

 

She typed it as a reply and put her phone back on the table before focusing on the lecture. Why? Just why? Uh, whatever. She has the thought lingering in her mind for a few seconds before she starts to write a note in her book.

 

###

 

`Okay?` - Seulrin

 

Changkyun smiled as soon as he received the message. Maybe today he would get what he wants: Bae Seulrin.

 

###

 

It has been 5 minutes since Seulrin was waiting for Changkyun. She kept peeking at her watch on her hand to see the time. As she getting bored, she called the waiter and ordered an iced Americano to settle her thirsty throat.

 

“Did you wait for a long time?”  She turned her face to the right, surprised at the raspy whisper in her ear. She refrained herself from doing anything unnecessary as the distance between her and Changkyun was too close for comfort.  Their lips almost brushed each other as they stared into each other’s eyes.

 

Changkyun then smiled before taking a step away from the girl and sitting in front of her.

 

Seulrin was still like before, she was in disbelief with what had happened just now. She clenches her fists tightly, until her nails dig into the palm of her hand, but she barely notices. The only thing she is really aware of is the sound of her heart throbbing against the cage of her chest.

 

“Are you okay?” Changkyun asked and giggled as he knows that she’s quite in shock with what he just did right now.

 

“What do you want to tell me?” Seulrin went straight to the point; there was no point in beating around the bush, anyways as she didn’t want to spend her precious time with Changkyun even if she couldn’t spend the time with the one boy she wanted to.

 

“Can you give me a chance?” He grabbed Seulrin’s hand into his as he said that.

 

“Chance for what?” Seulrin pulled her hand away and put it onto her lap.

 

“To be the best for you.” Seulrin frowned when she heard it. To be the best? What?

 

“What are you trying to tell me?” She started to get annoyed with Changkyun who kept going back and forth with his words.

 

He took a deep breath before letting out the words he wanted to say. “Be my girlfriend.”

 

“What?” She acted like she couldn’t believe with the words she heard just now. It’s almost impossible for her to be his girlfriend.

 

“Give me a chance to be your boyfriend.” Changkyun explained again after he saw an unfavourable facial expression from Seulrin.

 

“I think you’re drunk. I’m going home, okay.” She stood up and put her handbag on her shoulders before moving her feet away from the boy.

 

###

 

“Wait, Seulrin. Wait.” He tried to chase Seulrin who was trying to run away from him.

 

Seulrin quickens her steps as she refused to see the guy again. She’s confused with her feeling, to be honest. Out of nowhere, Changkyun appeared right in front of her, making her refrain herself from taking any steps.

 

“Do you like Rocky?” He asked a question that has an obvious answer for Seulrin.

 

“No.” She didn’t know whether it’s just a lie or a truth that was hidden in her deepest heart.

 

“Then why can’t you be my girlfriend?” He tried to provoke the girl.

 

“I just can’t. No, I don’t want to.” She was confused with her own answer.

 

When she tried to flee away from him, Changkyun grabbed her hand and pulled her towards his body. Seulrin, startled by his actions, struggled to let herself go from Changkyun’s embrace.

 

“Let me go.” She uttered the words with her clenched teeth.

 

She opened and prepared to belt out the loudest scream she could muster. She was suddenly stopped as his mouth touched hers. His warm lips were gentle, but firm. She drew away quickly. Seulrin could hardly swallow. Heat engulfed her body. She grimaced. Why did I let him use me like that? She shivered with anger as well as fear.

 

“Just go away. I hate you.” She cupped and ran away from Changkyun as fast as she could.

 

Changkyun, satisfied with his action, smirked as he watched his love run by.

 

###

 

“Like a colorful rainbow. After I met you, every day is new.”

 

Seulrin ran as fast as she can and as far as she could go. She kept running and running until she noticed that she reached the place the she always come by. She looked around in hope that maybe she could see the one she wants to see but no.

 

The place was dark and there’s no light within the area. She sighed. It was as if the playground had been taken away at dusk and replaced with something sinister. As the colors drained away the swings became gallows. There was no sound other than the crickets, no bird song or barking dogs. Every rustle of the leaves foretold of danger, and even the sound of a twig snap beneath her feet made her pulse thump in her ears.

 

But it couldn’t beat her miserable heart. She used to come here every day with Rocky. She remembers all of it. It’s been a week since they last came here. After that, both of them stayed quiet and refused to contact or even say hi to each other as if they never know each other at the first place.

 

She bites her tongue, trying to hold the tears that threatened to leave her eyes. And that's when she loses total control. First, one small crystal bead escapes from her right eye. She can feel the warmth, sliding down her cheek, and rolling off her chin. Then another. And another. Until her eyes flood with them, coming like a rainfall. Sniffling every ten seconds, they fall, and fall, and she let them.

 

A week ago, she wouldn't have been able to understand why someone would want to cry because there’s always someone who would stay beside her. But now, alone in the darkness, it's easy. It could be quick relief or a painstakingly long process of confusion, denial, embarrassment and anger.

 

She missed him. She wanted Rocky to be by beside her and calm her down. But there’s no one. She was alone at the park with no one by her side. She looked to the left and see the swings were swung around as if there’s someone it, when she turned to the right she could see the slide that she used to play with Rocky.

 

Everything here would remind her of Rocky with no exception. Even this bench was the bench they used to sit everytime they come here.

 

Why it’s always Park Minhyuk? Why? I couldn’t understand it. There’s almost nothing in my memories that weren’t featuring Park Minhyuk in it. He will always be there. Wherever I go, whatever I do, he will always be there beside me with no exception. Why? Just why?

 

The realization that the person who was as close to me as the air that I breathe was making my heart beat fast… was so sudden that it was as scary to me as the sky falling down on me.

 

###

 

“Where is she?” Rocky, who was waiting for Seulrin in front of her house with something in his hand, slowly swung his legs as he’s tired of waiting.

 

He’s planning to say sorry to the girl today, for ignoring her for almost two weeks. He knows that it’s not easy for Seulrin to forgive her as he never did this at the first place but it’s not wrong to at least try, right?

 

He glanced at the watch he wore on his left hand which strike 11:55pm. He started to get worry as it’s only 5 minutes left till midnight.

 

“Did she drinks and get drunk somewhere, or what?” He remembered about the bad habit Seulrin had if she ever went drunk.

 

He panicked. He wandered around and started bit his nail. “What if something really bad happen to her?” He mumbled alone.

 

While he was panicking, his phone started ringing as a signal that someone was calling him. He took out the phone from his pocket jeans and unlocked the phone to see whose calling. When he saw Seulrin’s name on the screen, he slid the button to answer space.

 

“Where are you?” He asked as soon as he answers it.

 

He could hear someone, sobbing at the other side. All he could imagine was Seulrin, sitting alone somewhere and letting out all the tears she hid.

 

“Are you crying?” He said, “Where are you? I’m coming.” The anxiety he had before, becomes double. No, it becomes triple when he heard Seulrin’s quiet, muffled sobs.

 

When there’s no answer from the girl, he rushed himself to find for the girl. He followed his instinct about where the girl could be right now.

 

###

 

"Honestly, I’m going crazy because I like you so much.”

 

He was panting as soon as he reached his destination. He sprinted his entire way to the park. He grabbed his knees and tried to catch some oxygen before continued observing the playground in front of him.

 

From afar, he could see a girl, sitting on a bench he used to sit, while grabbing her knees and hide her face from anyone. Slowly, he approached the girl and when he confirmed that the girl is Seulrin, he took a seat beside the girl.

 

Seulrin, who was still sobbing like before, didn't realize that there's someone who was watching her crying at the moment. She knows only when she could feel someone was touching her shoulders.

 

She lifted up her face just to see Park Minhyuk. She feels on cloud nine, even though she was still crying. She’d been waiting for him all this time and he looked at her with a comforting smile.

 

She didn't know that she missed that smile a lot. She has been missing the guy who sits beside her a lot. Seulrin stared at the guy, she looked straightly into his sparkling eyes as if she tried to understand her own feelings.

 

Rocky pulls out his hand and wiped the tears that he sees on Seulrin's face. Then, he caressed the girl's hair to fix her messy hair, which was most likely the effect of crying so violently. He ignored the stare that was given by Seulrin and focused on what he did right now.

 

Seulrin reached Rocky's hand that's on her hair and put it in her palm. They stay silent for quite a long time and let their eyes talk to each other.

 

Rocky put his hand onto Seulrin's and held it. He held the girl's hand strong enough as if he didn't let the girl to go anywhere again without him by her side.

 

"Don't you ever leave me again." Seulrin said without looking at Minhyuk's face.He just shook his head saying that he won't leave her alone, never.

 

"I'm afraid. I'm afraid to be alone. I'm afraid that I lose you. I'm afraid that I could never see you again. I'm afraid that you might hate me." The beads of water started to fall again as she said what she feels.

 

"I hate you for leaving me alone. I hate you for not calling me. I hate you because I need to eat my breakfast, lunch and dinner alone. I hate you for ignoring me. I hate you for scolding me without any solid reason. I hate---" Rocky cuts her words.

 

"I love you." He said before planted a kiss on her forehead.

 

At that instant where everything was so tangled up and confusing, my mind became clear... who my heart belonged to.

 

#####

 

Epilogue

 

"Park Minhyuk, stop it!" Seulrin shouted when she saw Rocky came towards her with a puppy in his hand. The dog is cute but it was still a no from her. Dogs were still very scary for her.

 

"But it's cute." He whined and stomped his legs at the ground for few times while the dog was in his hand.

 

All of sudden, the dog barked and bit Minhyuk's hand. Minhyuk screamed. He accidentally throws the dog  but luckily the dog landed just right before it started running towards his mother.

 

Seulrin who saw that quickly went towards the boy and examined him. She looked at the wound on his hand caused by the dog. She slowly touched it and he groaned.

 

"Sorry." She stuttered.

 

"It's okay." He said and removed her hand from his. "It’s not hurt at all." He continued his words.

 

"Seriously?" She asked and took a glance at Rocky.

 

"Yes, my clumsy girl." He ruffled the girl's hair.

 

"Stop calling me clumsy, Rocky!" She hit Rocky's arms.

 

"At least people didn't use your nickname to call you. I'm tired being called Rocky." He pouted showing that he didn't really like that nickname.

 

"Let everyone call you Rocky and I will be the only who call you by your real name, Park Minhyuk." She whispered the words in his ears.

 

"Bae Seulrin, you are mine. Forever."