chapter 8

High School

A couple hours passed by when Sori heard someone knocking on her door. She knew it must be one of the boys and that she was obliged to open it because they’re very stubborn people.

 

“Did Hansol tell you about our movie outing?” Seungcheol asked as he stepped inside the room, followed by the others.

 

“Why are there only 5 of you?” Sori asked as she closed the door.

 

“The others will come back tomorrow. “ DK replied.

 

“Didn’t Hansol tell you I wasn’t interested?” Sori asked, emphasizing Hansol’s name.

 

“They would still force you to go even if I had mention it to them,” Hansol answered.

 

“We’ll eat barbeque afterwards. There’s this really good place near the cinema,” Seungkwan said.

 

“So you better get changed while we wait out here,” Hoshi added as he pulled her up from the couch and pushed her towards her room.


 

“That was fast,” DK said as she got out of her room.

 

Sori changed into a pair of black shorts and a maroon sweatshirt with a small yellow crown on the left chest area. She carried her wallet on her left hand and her phone on the right.

 

“Makeup?” Seungkwan asked.

 

“You need some? Just put them on in my room. I just filled in my eyebrows,” Sori replied, pointing to her bedroom.

 

Everyone except Seungkwan chuckled as he let out a scoff.

 

“Bitc –

 

“Before you both start ripping each other’s face off, we kind of have to go. The movie starts in half an hour,” Hoshi interrupted as he ushered everyone out the door.


 

“You 3 by some snacks while we get the tickets,” Seungcheol said to Sori, Seungkwan, and DK.

 

DK and Seungkwan replied with an ‘ok hyung’ as they pushed Sori towards the snack counter.

 

“We’ll have 6 large colas, 2 jumbo butter popcorn, 2 nachos, and 2 hotdogs,” DK ordered.

 

Aren’t we eating dinner after? Why did he order so much… Sori thought to herself.

 

It seems like Seungkwan read her mind and said, “We tend to eat a lot. Most of our allowance is spent on food.”

 

Sori replied with a slight nod before helping DK carry the food and made their way towards the rest of the boys.

 

 “We had to pick between Finding Dory or Conjuring 2,” Hansol said.

 

“..And? Which one did you pick?” Seungkwan asked.

 

“Conjuring 2. The seats were better,” Seungcheol replied.

 

“You’re kidding, right? Hyung, we get scared easily! No one’s going to sleep tonight,” DK exclaimed.

 

“Let me take those from you before you drop them,” Hoshi said as he took the sodas out of this arms.

 

“My cousin said it’s not as scary as the first one,” Hansol said, trying to calm down the panicked DK.

 

“How about Sori? Do you really want to see her suffer from this?!” Seungkwan argued.

 

“I’m fine with horror movies. I just hate jump scares,” Sori replied.

 

“Then it’s settled. The movie’s about to start so we better get moving,” Seungcheol smiled as he started walking towards the designated room.


 

Sori found herself sitting in between Hansol and Seungcheol while DK, Seungkwan, and Hoshi sat together beside Hansol. Seungcheol had to sit at the edge because no one wanted to sit near aisle. Sori offered, but being the gentleman that he is, Seungcheol didn’t let her.

 

“I hate you hyung, I despise you hyung, you’re so evil,” DK muttered under his breath as the theatre lights slowly dimmed off and the movie started.

 

As soon as the first scene began, Sori new she didn’t like it. There was so many jump scares even from the beginning of the movie. Both Hansol and Seungcheol could feel her slight jumps whenever something suddenly popped up or the music did its usual sudden sounds. On the other hand, DK was holding on to Hansol for his dear life. Hoshi was calmer while Seungkwan had a tense face.

 

Sori hated the scene when the demon showed himself in the lady’s vision. She couldn’t figure out when the demon who pop up and when it did, a small shriek escaped her lips followed by laughter along with the others in the theatre. Both Hansol and Seungcheol couldn’t help but also notice her laughs and chuckles. Her hands clutched the hem of her sweater tightly as her knuckled started turning pale. They weren’t even half in the movie and there were a lot of jump scares already.

 

Jump scares kept popping one after another, but Sori kind of got used to it. She still jumped and cussed  at some of the parts. She was pretty sure that by now DK had his hands covering his face and Seungkwan just burying his head in Hoshi’s shoulder. Hansol closed his eyes at times, but he kept his composure. Seungcheol was the star tonight, as he seemed unfazed. He had his slight jumps, but nothing more than that.

 

The movie was at a scene when they were trying to fix the flooding in the basement. The little girls’ mum suddenly got pulled down in the water as she was trying to warn the guy about a figure behind me.

 

Instead of letting out her usual cusses, her head automatically turned to Hansol’s shoulders and hid it there. It was very sudden and unexpected for Sori and Hansol, but her heart almost fell out. Hansol could only let a slight chuckle while caressing her head. For the rest of the movie, Sori's head would still lean on his shoulder while she sometimes gripped onto Seungcheol’s arm as well.


 

“We’re all sleeping in one room tonight. ONE ROOM,” DK exclaimed as they walked out of the movie theatre.

 

“Did you guys hear someone laughing during the movie? Or was it just me?” Hoshi asked.

 

“That would be her,” Hansol said, pointing at Sori.

 

“Oh, yeah. It’s a habit of mine,” she replied.

 

“Laughing while watching a horror movie?” Seungkwan questioned with a horrified expression on his face.

 

“I laugh when I get scared… to lighten the mood for me,” she said.

 

“That’s adorably creepy,” DK replied, earning a small smile from Sori.

 

“Seungkwan finished our snacks, right?” Seungcheol asked, teasing the poor boy.

 

“I’m still hungry though. I can’t wait for some Korean barbeque,” he said a sing-song voice.


 

 “10 portions of samgyeopsal, 1 kimchi jigae, 1 steamed egg, 3 portions of bulgogi, and 5 portions of rice,” Seungcheol ordered.

 

They were seated in a private room with no chairs since the main room was full.

 

They do eat a lot… and at night! That’s amazing Sori thought to herself.

 

“Yah, you left some imprints on my arm when you gripped it earlier,” Seungcheol said to Sori as he showed his arm.

 

“DK squeezed my arm so hard, it went numb at some point in the movie,” Hansol added.

 

“Seungkwan stepped on my foot 3 times,” Hoshi continued.

 

“We were scared! Give us a break,” Seungkwan replied, as laughter escaped their mouths.

 

The food started coming in as the chatter continued on. Seungcheol was in charge of cooking the meat with some help from Sori.

 

“Are you sure you’re going to be alright sleeping alone Sori? We have extra mattresses,” Hoshi asked as he took a big chunk of meat from the grill.

 

“It’s fine. I already forgot about the movie anyways,” she replied.

 

“Oh, come on. It’ll be fun!” DK added.

 

“I had a bad experience last time I slept there,” Sori said, recalling the back pain she experienced.

 

“Last time? When?” Seungcheol questioned.

 

Hansol remembered their little sleep-over from the other day and looked down his lap as his cheeks started to burn.

 

“When you guys were visiting home, I fell asleep on your couch with Hansol while watching Harry Potter,” her answer made everyone stop what they were doing.

 

“You and him?” Seungkwan asked in disbelief while pointing at Hansol.

 

“Our shy boy? Hansol who usually can’t talk to girls?” DK teased.

 

“What’s wrong with that? His shoulder’s pretty comfortable and warm,” Sori said, making Hansol’s blush worse.

 

“Come on guys, he’s blushing already,” Seungcheol teased.

 

“You’re too naïve Sori,” Hoshi said as the others agreed.

 

“Hansol’s a good person. I doubt he’ll try anything,” Sori replied.

 

“Hansol’s too shy to do anything,” Seungkwan said.

 

“Really? He seemed pretty cocky the other day,” Sori pointed out.

 

This girl will be the death of me omg.. Hansol thought to himself as he kept eating.

 

“Cocky Hansol in front of a girl? That’s new… What happened bro?” Hoshi teasingly nudged Hansol.

 

They were having so much fun teasing Hansol when Sori received a text.

 

Sweetie, I have some bad news for you. - Eomma

 

What’s wrong? – Sori

 

Grandma just passed earlier this evening. It was a sudden heart attack. – Eomma.

 

Sori examined the text carefully. She was waiting for the sadness to wash over her, but nothing came. She wasn’t that close to her grandmother, but it was still her grandmother.

 

Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. – Sori.

 

I know you weren’t close with her, but is that all you have to say? – Eomma.

 

That is all she could say at this point. Sori really didn’t have any deep connections with her grandmother that would let her say anything more.

 

What else do you want me to say? – Sori.

 

You’re heartbroken. You want to come home to see her. – Eomma.

 

I can’t mom. Midterms are coming up. – Sori.

 

Sori knew her mom just wanted her to come home and visit them, but she really didn’t want to. Her mom isn’t the fondest person to be with.

 

You didn’t even come home this weekend. You could’ve said your last goodbyes if you had just visited yesterday. – Eomma.

 

I’m sorry I didn’t get to see her, but I’m really busy with school mom. – Sori.

 

Don’t you miss your family? Why are you neglecting us? – Eomma.

 

Sori rolled her eyes at her text. Her mom always jumps into conclusions, which is something she despises.

 

I’m not neglecting you guys. Just ask dad, he understands. – Sori.

 

Your father does not give the best advice. Is he the one that persuaded you to not come home? I knew this was all his fault. – Eomma.

 

Dad didn’t do anything. – Sori.

 

Why do you always defend your father? Why aren’t you on my side Sori? – Eomma.

 

We’re not talking about this. Grandma just died so you should go mourn. – Sori.

 

She must admit that she was being quite harsh to her mom, but her mother just never understands.

 

We need to talk. I’m going to call you. If you don’t pick up, I will send someone there to pick you up whether you like it or not. – Eomma.

 

“ing hell,” Sori muttered under her breath.

 

“Did you say something?” Hansol asked, grabbing everyone’s attention. 

 

“Oh, nothing. I actually have to go right now. I need to run an errand,” Sori said as she stood up.

 

“What? But we still have a lot of food here,” DK replied. 

 

“I’m sure you guys can finish it by yourselves. It’s really urgent,” Sori replied.

 

She took a handful of cash out of her wallet and placed it on the table.

 

“Hey, you don’t need to pay. Our treat,” Seungcheol said as he handed the money back.

 

“I can’t do that. Just take the money: I ate a lot,” Sori replied as she pushed Seungcheol’s hand away.

 

“I’m serious Sori. Take it,” Seungcheol said again, giving her the cash.

 

Sori’s phone started to ring and she knew that if she didn’t pick it up, her mom would really send someone to get her. She took back the money and waved goodbye before heading out of the room.

 

Sori really didn’t want to leave without chipping in so she went to the register near the entrance and paid for the whole meal before finally picking up her phone and going to a quiet place to take the call.


 

Meanwhile, the guys inside took their time eating.

 

“You know, you guys do look cute together,” Hoshi teased.

 

“Yeah, are you sure you’re not interested?” DK added.

 

“I’m not interested. I’m probably not even her type,” Hansol replied.

 

“But she’s your type?” Seungkwan teasingly asked.

 

“You leaned in earlier when she rested her head on your shoulders. Are you 100% sure you’re not attracted to her?” Seungcheol continued.

 

Hansol’s face turned red at his comment. He couldn’t really find the words to say anything back.

 

“You’re actually really lucky ‘cuz she’s really comfortable and close with you. So you won’t get jealous easily,” DK said.

 

“I will throw the jigae at all of you if you don’t shut it,” Hansol replied.

 

They all raised their hands up in surrender before laughing.