chapter 5

High School

“Your arm is burned pretty badly Sori-shi,” the nurse said as she patched Sori’s arm.

 

“Yeah, some girl dumped a tray full of boiling water on me,” she replied.

 

“Is that girl names Jang Minah?” the nurse asked, earning a nod by Sori.

 

“She has a history of injuring other girls. Sometimes it’s because they were in her way or they were talking with Seventeen,” the nurse explained.

 

“Seventeen?” Sori asked.

 

“They’re a bunch of guys who perform in school festivals and every girl in this school is deeply in love with them.”

 

“One of their member’s name must be Joshua or Seungcheol,” Sori replied.

 

“Yup. And I’m guessing you were seen talking to one of them by Minah.”

 

“Spot on.”

 

After applying the cooling gel and putting on the gauzes, the nurse gave her some extra cooling gel and painkillers before dismissing her.

 

“You okay?” Hansol asked as he suddenly appeared in front of her, making her jump.

 

“ dude, you scared me.” Sori said.

 

“It looks pretty bad,” Hansol said as he lifted her covered arm carefully.

 

“It’s just really bright red, but it’ll go a way in a few days.”

 

“Does it still hurt?”

 

Sori lifted the bottle of painkillers that the nurse gave her.

 

“I’m surprised I didn’t tear up from the pain,” she answered.

 

“She did it on purpose, you know.” Hansol said.

 

“I know.”

 

“And you’re not going to do anything about it? Like getting her back?”

 

“Revenge is not healthy for the heart Hansol,” she replied with a chuckle.

 

“She won’t stop hurting you though,” he said as he stopped walking.

 

Sori threw a confused look at him.

 

“She has a tendency to hurt other girls who come near us.”

 

“Seventeen? Your group thing?”

 

“So you were paying attention to us,” he smirked.

 

“Not really. The nurse told me about your ‘group’.”

 

Hansol let out an ‘oh.’

 

“It’s interesting how we just met a couple days ago and I still haven’t decided if meeting you guys is a good thing or a bad thing. I’m usually good in determining whether something is good for me or not.”

 

“I’m guessing that after what happened today, you’re leaning more towards a bad thing?”

 

“It sure will make my last 2 years of high school a lot more harder and interesting. My ‘keeping a low profile’ days are over.”

 

“Just to make you feel better, meeting you was a good thing for the guys, especially me.” He said as he flashed her a smile which she returned with a scoff.

 

“You grew fond of me just after a few days Chwe Hansol?”

 

“I grew fond of you the moment I saw you drooling and snoring your heart out on the bed beside mine.”

 

Sori broke into a chuckle.

 

“Thanks for the reminder.” 

 

“Maybe I should tease you more since it’s the only way to make you smile.”

 

“Oh please, it isn’t the only way. I do smile a lot.”

 

“You usually have either a blank expression on your face or you’re asleep.”

 

“What’s wrong with having a blank expression?”

 

“It means you’re harder to read. And it makes me uncomfortable to not be able to read you because I can’t get an idea what’s on your mind. I don’t know if you’re sad or angry or just really happy.”

 

“I’m an open book Hansol. You just have to pay attention to the details.”

 

“I have paid attention to the details. You look up or stare into space when you’re thinking of something important, you fidget with your fingers when you talk, you sigh a lot when you’re frustrated, and you don’t like to look people in the eye when you speak to them. Like now” He said, pointing to her eyes.

 

“So what’s the problem?”

 

“You don’t give me the reasons to why you feel what you feel. You down own up to your own heart. You always deny your own feelings with some kind of fake smile or fake answer. It really makes me curious about what’s going on in that big head of yours.” Hansol explained as he poked her temple.

 

“You got all of that just after a few days of knowing me?”

 

“I’m very observant. And I envy you because every time I try to hide something, my face would always give it up.”

 

“I envy you. You’re always so happy-go-lucky and carefree. And you’re not scared about other people knowing what you feel. I want to be able to feel what you feel. I always tell myself that it’s better to not make other people worried about me and my problems, but it gets frustrating when you want other people to worry about you but you can’t because they think you’re this perfect problem-less human being,” Sori sighed.

 

“You’re frustrated again.”

 

“Talking about my feelings always gets me frustrated.”

 

“I just want to let you know that I’ll always be here if you need someone to talk to. I am a very good listener too.”

 

“I feel like I’ve used up all of my ‘feelings talk’ for this year, so let’s just head back.”

 

“It’s getting too mushy for you isn’t it? You back away when things get to sentimental” Hansol teased. 

 

Sori rolled her eyes before beginning to walk again with Hansol by her side.


 

“There you both are!” Seungcheol exclaimed as he saw both Sori and Hansol walking their way.

 

“What were you two doing? You guys took so long,” Joshua said.

 

“How’s your arm by the way?” Jun asked.

 

The boys slammed them question after question without leaving a room to answer.

 

“Guys, stop with the questions.” Hansol said.

 

“Why? Is there something going on between you both?” Seungkwan teased.

 

“Yea, is there? You seem to be so close today,” DK added.

 

Hansol’s face turned slight crimson red while Sori seemed to not be affected at all. Now she understood how difficult it is for him to control his emotions.

 

“He’s getting red~” Jeonghan cooed.

 

“I’m pretty drained out right now. I should head back home,” Sori interrupted, giving them an airy smile.

 

“We’ll go home together! I mean, we do literally live across each other,” Hoshi replied.

 

“I have to stop by the supermarket first to get some things. So I’ll be on my way,” she said before turning her heels around towards the gate.

 

“Well you’re in luck. We also ran out of groceries so we’ll be going with you,” Woozi said as everyone caught up with her.

 

“How about half of us go back home and the other comes along? The dorm needs a lot of cleaning you know” Mingyu said.

 

“So Jun, Wonwoo, Dino, Minghao, Jeonghan, DK, and Mingyu clean the house while the rest of us go buy groceries,” Seungcheol said.

 

The guys who got picked to go home grunted because they wanted to join the grocery team, but they knew better than to complain to the oldest.


“What should we eat tonight?” Seungkwan asked as they entered the supermarket.

 

“Bulgogi,” Joshua answered.

 

“Cash is low, remember?” Seungcheol reminded them.

 

Meanwhile, Sori took a shopping cart and went on her way. Vernon didn’t want to be in the ‘dinner’ argument so he tagged along.

 

“It’s frustrating how we always fight about what to eat for dinner. They always scold me when I saw ramyeon,” Vernon said as they walked through the dairy section.

 

Sori let out a small chuckle as she tried to reach for the carton of eggs above her. Vernon saw her struggling and came up behind her to grab it.

 

“Thanks,” Sori said as she took the eggs from his hand and put it inside the trolley.

 

“You don’t talk very much, do you?” he asked.

 

“I didn’t grow up with a lot of people surrounding me so I got used to the silence. It’s very calming, but it gets boring sometimes,” she replied.

 

“Do you have any siblings?” he asked.

 

“I have two older brothers. They’re twins are 3 years older than me. They’re currently attending university in the UK.”

 

“Are you guys close?”

 

“Sort of… They’re very overprotective of me. They call me once a month if they can and we could skype call regularly.”

 

“That’s nice,” Hansol replied with a smile.

 

“How about you? Got any siblings?”

 

“I have one little sister. She’s way younger than me, but I’m very overprotective of her. She’s like my little sunshine.”

 

“Little sunshine? The grease is really thick now,” she teased.

 

“I’m a very open and affectionate person,” he replied.

 

“I can see that. It matches you.”

 

After going around the supermarket and putting a bunch of stuff in the trolley, Sori was ready to pay and go home.

 

“We’re eating curry by the way. You cool with that?” Hoshi asked as he met up with Hansol and her.

 

“Oh, I’m not going to eat ate your place tonight. I think I’m going to take a shower and then straight to bed when I get home.” She answered.

 

“What? Are you sure you won’t be hungry? We have plenty of it,” Hoshi replied.

 

“Yeah, I’m pretty tired from today. I basically sleep walked while getting my groceries.”

 

“No wonder your head kept dozing off,” Hansol said, “She almost ran over a bag of flour.”

 

“Well alright, but just knock on the door if you need anything,” Seungcheol said.


 

“Where’s Sori?” Dino asked as his hyungs came in the dorm.

 

“She’s too tired to eat, but well save her some just in case.” Woozi answered.

 

“I still can’t believe how Jang Minah could do that again. She almost killed the girl who delivered the festival flyers remember?” DK said as he changed the TV channel.

 

“I told Sori about her. It’s better if she knew about it rather than being clueless about why Jang Minah wants to hurt her,” Vernon said.

 

“Is that why she didn’t want to eat with us? She scared than Jang Minah would hurt her again?” Seungkwan asked.

 

“We won’t let that happen to her,” Jun replied.

 

“She just said that her last two years of high school would be hard, but she didn’t say she didn’t want to hang out with us anymore.” Vernon answered.

 

“That’s good right? We just gotta make sure that she’s going to be fine. I feel guilty for making all those other girls’ lives miserable so we need to redeem ourselves.” Joshua said. 

 

Sorry for the REALLY late update. I just finished my exams so I'll be updating more frequently from now on. Please continue to enjoy and subscribe :) Thanks for all your support!