chapter 3

High School

“What should we eat tonight?” Woozi asked Hoshi as he knocked on Sori’s door.

 

“Food,” Hoshi replied with a grin making Woozi roll his eyes.

 

The door slowly opened revealing a shocked wet-haired Sori holding a banana. She was already in her pajamas, which consisted an oversized black t-shirt with some pajama pants and socks.

 

“Hi?”

 

“Sorry to disturb you, but the boys wanted to know if you would like to join us for dinner,” Woozi said with a smile.

 

“Is this because of what happened earlier? You really don’t have to make it up to me,” Sori replied.

 

“But we want to! Just think of it as a neighborhood gathering,” Hoshi said.

 

“I kind of already ate dinner… and I also need to blow dry my hair,” Sori replied, holding up the banana she was eating as she tried to reject them nicely.

 

“That’s not dinner! And your wet hair can dry itself out,” Hoshi said.

 

“The boys really want to have dinner together so that we can get to know you better and vice versa,” Woozi added.

 

Sori knew she couldn’t get out of this since there wasn’t a reason for her to not go.

 

“Can I at least change my pants? It’s kind of embarrassing wearing these,” she said, pointing to her red Mickey Mouse pajama pants.

 

“No, it looks cute,” Hoshi replied as he ushered Sori out of her room.


“Look who we got~” Hoshi announced as he stepped into the dorm. The other boys who were sitting around the TV turned their heads towards the door.

 

“You came! How did these 2 idiots convince you?” Seungcheol asked.

 

“They got lucky I guess,” Sori answered jokingly.

 

“Well, it’s great that you came,” Wonwoo said as he ushered her to where the rest of the guys were.

 

“Do you want me to blow dry your hair?” Jeonghan asked.

 

“No, it’s fine. It’ll dry itself out,” Sori replied as she eyed Hoshi.

 

“By the way, we haven’t really decided what to eat yet… Mingyu was supposed to cook but he got lazy,” DK said, “Do you have anything in mind?”

 

“I’m fine with anything, but nothing too spicy,” Sori replied.

 

“Let’s get chicken,” Seungkwan said.

 

“We had chicken yesterday,” Hoshi replied.  

 

“Pizza,” Minghao said.

 

“We’re short on food money,” Seungcheol reminded them.

 

“Food money?” Sori asked.

 

“We have this system where we gather our allowance each month and divide them accordingly to our daily necessities. There’s also grocery money, toiletry money, etc. Apparently our parents think it’s a good way to save money,” Mingyu explained.

 

“But each of us still hold personal allowances,” Woozi added.

 

“If you’re short on food money, then I’ll pay for it,” Sori offered.

 

“You really want to pay for 13 starving boys?” Joshua asked.

 

“I don’t mind,” she replied.

 

“But we do… We don’t want you, a girl, to pay for our food,” DK said.

 

“Yeah, it’s not polite,” Hoshi added.

 

Sori rolled her eyes and shook her head.

 

“Whatever you guys say,” she said. 

 

“Can’t you just cook for us hyung~” Dino pleaded Mingyu.

 

“Just cook something simple… like fried rice,” Jun said.

 

“Fine, fine,” Mingyu said as he got up and went to the kitchen.

 

As everyone started to chat amongst themselves, Sori pulled her phone out of her pocket and opened instagram. She started to chuckle to herself quietly as she watched random videos and memes. She also looked at make-up and clothes.

 

“Hey there,” a voice said, startling her.

 

Sori looked to her side and saw Hansol smiling at her. 

 

“Oh hey… I finally hear you,” Sori replied.

 

“Hear me?” he asked confused.

 

“Yeah, you didn’t talk the whole time.”

 

“I was saving my voice to talk to you,” he replied with a smirk.

 

Sori let out a small chuckle before shaking her head.

 

“Smooth, but a bit greasy.”

 

It was his turn to let out a small chuckle.

 

“Are you a big fan of Mickey Mouse?” Hansol asked.

 

“Yup… he’s my favorite cartoon character,” she replied. 

 

“I really hope you don’t mind waiting for dinner… it’s hard to choose what to eat when you live with 12 people who have like different foods,” he said.

 

“It’s fine… I had a banana earlier,” she replied.

 

“So if we didn’t invite you over, you would’ve just ate a banana for dinner?” he asked curiously.

 

“I guess… I usually don’t eat a lot at night.”

 

“Well, prepare to gain a ton of weight over the next few months cause the boys are going to invite you to dinner every night.”

 

“Are you serious?”

 

“Yeah… I think we’re planning on sticking to you,” Hansol joked.

 

“Well, let the weight gaining begin,” she said, making Hansol laugh.

 

“What are you 2 laughing about,” Seungkwan asked loudly.

 

“Something your thick brain wouldn’t understand,” Hansol replied, earning a big laugh from everyone.

 

“You’re dead Chwe Hansol,” Seungkwan said as he jumped on him.

 

“Yah yah, you’re going to hurt Sori. Go fight in the other room,” Seungcheol said as he pulled the two boys towards him.

 

Just as they stopped jumping on each other, Mingyu walked out of the kitchen with a massive plate full of fried rice.

 

“Thank god,” DK said as he helped distribute plates and utensils around.

 

After putting down the big plate in the middle of the living room, he ran into the kitchen brought out a medium plate of fried rice and put in front of Sori.

 

“I want you to eat a lot so I got you a personal plate. I know the guys would devour that massive plate in minutes,” he said.

 

“Thank you,” Sori replied with a smile.

 

“You wanted to see her smile didn’t you,” Woozi said.

 

“Yup… and it was reallyyyyy pretty,” Mingyu replied before sitting down beside her.

 

“You have a pretty smile, but you don’t smile a lot. So Mingyu wanted to see it again,” Jeonghan explained, realizing Sori’s confused face.

 

“It’s weird, but true,” Jun added.

 

“And even though your laugh is pretty adorable, it isn’t as pretty as your smile,” Seungcheol finished.

Sori shook her head in embarrassment and turned to Hansol.

 

“I forgot to tell you that they’re cheesier than me,” he said with a wink.

 

“You’ll get used to it in a few weeks,” Dino added.

 

“Did you lose your appetite because of those hyungs?” Seungkwan asked, earning a glare from Seungcheol and Mingyu.

 

Sori nodded before taking a spoonful of the fried rice.

 

“Is it alright?” Mingyu asked.

 

“It’s amazing,” she replied with a thumbs up.


After everyone finished their plates, Sori decided to hang around a bit before heading back.

 

“Do you live with your parents?” Jun asked as he took a seat beside her.

 

“No. They moved to Busan a year ago,” she answered.

 

“They left you here?” DK asked.

 

“Yeah… my parents’ opening a factory in Busan but they didn’t want me to leave school since it was in the middle of the school year.”

 

“What do they do?”

 

“My dad’s a wine importer and my mom’s family exports seafood.”

 

“Why did you go this crappy school then? You could’ve afforded a better one,” Wonwoo asked.

 

“I attended an international school up till 8th grade, but I moved here because of my parents. I wasn’t old enough to be left alone at that time.”

 

“So they just give you monthly allowances? No visits?”

 

“I visit them sometimes because of Joey, but it’s very rare. They’re so busy with work and I don’t want to disturb them.”

 

“Joey?”

 

“He’s my golden retriever. He’s been with me ever since I was 3. He can’t stay with me because I have school and no one’s home when I’m gone.”

 

“Aww, I want to meet him,” Minghao said.

 

Sori hid her heavy heart with a smile. She never really talked about Joey to anyone and she hasn’t seen him in so long. She doesn’t even know if he’s okay or not.

 

“Okay, enough about me. Tell me a bit about you guys,” Sori said.

 

“I’m 10ft tall and have hard abs,” Seungkwan replied, earning bug laughs from the guys and a chuckle from Sori.

 

“Keep dreaming buddy,” Hansol said, earning a glare from Seungkwan.

 

They talked and talked until it was really late. Sori checked her phone and realized that she had to get some sleep for tomorrow.

 

“I guess I’ll be heading back now,” she said as she got up.

 

“Stay a bit longer,” Hoshi replied.

 

“It’s 12 already… I need some sleep,” she chuckled before walking towards the door.

 

Seungcheol, being the closest one to her, stood up also and opened the door for her.

 

“See you tomorrow!” the buys yelled as Sori waved them goodbye.

 

“Sweet dreams,” Seungcheol smiled.