Chapter 4

What's in a name?

A/N Hi, sorry for the slight delay in posting this chapter. I'm down with a cold, so writting has taken me a bit longer than I thought it would. Anyway hope you guys enjoy! 


He was going to be in s much trouble. 

Chanwoo prayed. He prayed that his luck would finally decide to help him out, but yet again it proved a bad friend. As soon as he entered the door, he came face to face with a smirking Junhoe. "Yah, sneaking off are you? What would Jinhwan say?" Chanwoo gave the other a pleading look, but it was no use. The other man just smirked at him before yelling "Jinhwan hyung! Chanwoo as been sneaking out!" The effect was instant, as half a second later Jinhwan materialized net to them. It really was like magic Chanwoo thought. "Jung. Chan. Woo" Jinhwan was terrifying as he worked himself up to deliver a lecture. Chanwoo felt himself shrink, at the same time as it seemed like Jinhwan grew larger. 

Hanbin almost felt like giggling at the way Chanwoo tried to shrink into himself at the appearance of the older man. It really was amazing how the boy managed to seemingly look up at Jinhwan, even as he was looking down at the older due to the height difference. It was almost too cute. Wait? cute? Hanbin shock his head, what's up with me today? Maybe I bumped my head extra hard this morning he contemplated. Still, at the boy's puppy look he decided to intervene. 

"Relax Jinhwan" he said in an almost bored voice. "I let the boy out to inspect his wound, which was much easier to do outside in the sunlight than in the gloom in here. Plus the boy was in need of some fresh air and to feel the space around him. Being cooped up in his room isn't good for him either." "You let him out?" Jinhwan turned to Hanbin and looked at him sternly. Hanbin just nodded and met Jinhwans stare with a determined look of his own. Whatever Jinhwan see in Hanbin's eyes made relax and sigh "Well, if you say so. He is your responsibility though! Mark my words Kim Hanbin, if anything happens-" "It won't"Hanbin cut of Jinhwan's speach. "I'll look after him". 

"Now that that's sorted and dealt with" Jiwon's voice suddenly rang out behind them. "Would it be possible to get some breakfast here?" Jiwon's question immediately broke the tension in the room and made the rest of the occupants laugh. Jinhwan muttered something about demanding husbands, still he happily went off to prepare food for them all. Hanbin gave Chanwoo a smirk and a wink behind Jinhwans retreating back. 

The 'showdown' had Chanwoo  staring at Hanbin in awe. He had gathered as much that Hanbin was indeed the missing friend, not returned, that the hyungs had sometimes talked about amongst themselves. But that the stranger would have such power was something he had never dreamt about. A couple of sentences and a stare and that was all it took for Hanbin to convince Jinhwan to let him out? Just like that, and no questions asked? Maybe he also possesses whatever magic it is that allows Jinhwan to appear in the way he does Chanwoo thought while studying the other man who was busy joking around with Jiwon at the table. Maybe this meant that Chanwoo's luck had finally kicked in? There was no question in Chanwoo's mind that right now, Hanbin truely was a saving angel. Come here to save him from the overprotective force that was one Kim Jinhwan. 

Three weeks later and Chanwoo had done a complete 180 in his regard for Hanbin. The older was in no way an angel come to save him. No, Hanbin was a demon come to torment him. No wonder Jinhwan let him off that easily Chanwoo thought bitterly as he dragged himself along the path around the village. "Come on! Just a little more! And more speed to it!" a very cheerfully Hanbin yelled from up ahead of him. Chanwoo grunted as a way of answering and tried to speed up his running against his own wishes. His legs felt like concrete, and the only thing Chanwoo really wanted to do at the moment, was to just flop down into the long and stay there forever. What stopped him from doing just so was the knowledge that Hanbin would only make him run even longer in retaliation.

It was safe to say that Chanwoo was indeed starting to regret ever having asked Hanbin to teach him more martial arts. In the weeks since Chanwoo had first asked Hanbin to teach him, he other had layed on more and more pressure onto Chanwoo. He had also become harder and harder to please, and he hadn't even thought Chanwoo anythign yet! Not like when he had thought him. They had just been focusing on running and stretching and other seemingly mundane tasts. Like carrying water. Chanwoo had a new found hatred of the water bucket and anyone as much as thinking the words "having a bath". "It's all to build important strength and stamina" Hanbin had said while smirking the one time Chanwoo had deared to question the point of what they were doing. 

Hanbin was like a more demanding, less overprotective Jinhwan. Always nagging and finding some fault with everything Chanwoo did. It was disconceerning really. Right now Chanwoo was not ccertain which of the two older men he wanted to avoid the most. And yet... He could not get himself to avoid Hanbin. There was something about the older that just him in. Chanwoo really wanted to gain Hanbin's approval, and friendship. He was determined to impress Hanbin. 

Hanbin for his part was felng strangely proud of the younger. He was pleased by Chanwoo's determination. Bassed on the stiff and slightly off look of his pattern during the initial demonstration Hanbin had feared that the boy had been half-hearted in his studies. That the quest for learning was more to show off than to actually learn. Yet, the stubbourness and refusal to give up, suggested that the fault lay more with whoever thought him in the first place, than with Chanwoo's wish to learn. 

As each day passed Hanbin could feel himself growing more and more attatched to the boy. It was hard not to with the others quiet charm, atermined attitude and cute pout whenever someone mentioned wanting a bath. Not to menton is surprisingly sassy attitude, which mostly came out around Junhoe. Hanbin chuckled at the memory of Junhoe's shocked face the previous day when Chanwoo's response to his quest for bath water had been to firmly inform him (and without calling him 'hyung') that Junhoe could either go wash in the stream or carry his 'own damned water'. 

When Junhoe had tried to protest, Chanwoo had opted to hide behind Jinhwan, telling the older that Junhoe was being mean to him. It had all ended in a cat and mouse chase around Jinhwan, who Chanwoo had tried to use as a shield. In the end Jiwon had come to Jinhwan's rescue and Donghyuk volentered to do the water carrying for a day. Chanwoo had rewarded the other with a big hug and decleared him his favorite hyung. Hanbin had firmly ignored the sting of jealousy that decleracton had brought forth. 

Of course Hanbin was not jealous. Not at all. It was just a reminder that Hanbin still was a stranger to Chanwoo compared to the rest of them. And that hurt a little, which was perfectly normal, and anyone in the same situation would feel the same. Definitively. The fact that he was feeling slightly annoyed at the others huging the youngest too long or touching him all the time meant nothing.

Hanbin shock his head to shake away these random thoughts. Time to return to the task at hand instead of useless contemplations over nothingness. By now the run had taken them back to the house again. Turning his head back, Hanbin studied the younger who was dragging himself along after him. Nothising who exhausted Chanwoo looked, he decided to call and end to the running for today. "That's enough. Let's get some rest now". As soon as the words were said, Chanwoo flopped down into the grass like he had been longing to do.

"I am never leaving this spot again. Ever." He delcleared while placing his arms under his head and closing his eyes. Hanbin chuckled, (he'd been doing that a lot lately thanks to the younger) "I'm not sure I'd recomment that. It will be cold once the sun goes. Not to mention all the potential insects that could come crawling. And what would you do if it started to rain?" Hanbin looked down at Chanwoo. Chanwoo opened his eyes and grinned up at Hanbin "It's okay. Just get Jinhwan hyung to pitch a tent oer me, and the rain won't get to me". Chanwoo's eyes twinkled in amusement and Hanbin was again struck with how cute the boy looked like that. 

Again Hanbin ignored his own thoughs, which clearly were up to no good. Instead he shrugged and started to walk away. As he walked his yelled over his shoulder "suit yourself. But I can hear Jiwon calling for lunch, and personally I'd take food over laying forever in the grass". He heard a groan from behidn him and Chanwoo's voice calling "hyng! Wait for me. Aish at least help me up! Hyung!" Hanbin ignored the whining voice behind him and continued to walk away, secretly grinning at the youngers antics. 

A couple of days later Hanbin decided that they should have a break from training. Chanwoo had improved a lot and Hanbin thought he deserved a reward. Pluss winter was approaching and they needed to start bilding up their food stores for when it came. In short it was time t go hunting. It had taken him a while to get Jinhwan's promission to take the younger out hunting. No doubt due to the condition the boy had returned in the last time. But in the end Jinhwan gave in.

He, Jiwon, Donghyuk and Yunhyeong would focus on getting grain, vegetables and other herbs from the forest, while Junhoe (the undeniable best fisher among them) would see how much he could catch so they could dry or smoke it. It only made sense for Hanbin to go hunting as that was his main ability (as Jiwon liked to say), and with 7 people to feed it made sense that someone would go with him. That someone had to be Chanwoo. 

Chanwoo had been extatic when he heard the news. He had imagined that he'd never be allowed out on a hunt again after his meeting with the bear trap, so he could hardly believe the other's words when Hanbin gave him the news. His first reaction had to give Hanbin an excited hug before running off to prepear his equiptment. Hanbin had felt pleasantly surprised by the hug, after all it was the first proper one he had gotten outside of training (where the aim really was to throw the other off balance and could thus not be counted as a hug). 

The next morning Hanbin opened the door to his room to find a embarrased Chanwoo sitting outside. Chanwoo's excitement had meant that he almost didn't get any sleep during the night. And as soon as the sun started to raise he had been up and ready to go. He had been pacing outside Hanbin's door for a while wondering if the older was awake and whether or not it would be too rude to knock to ask when they were going to leave. But just as he was about to go knock he had sliped, ending up in the seated position which Hanbin found him half a second later. 

Luckily the older only laughed and helped Chanwoo up. They then had a quick breakfast before gathering their bows and heading off. As they were walking towards the forrest Hanbin caught a glimpt of Chanwoo's quiver which made him pause. "Why are you only carrying bird arrows Chanwoo?" Chanwoo looked confused "We are going hunting aren't we hyung?" he said. "yes, but most people would bring a mix of arrows to a general hunt like this. Especially since I never told you what we would be hunting?". 

"Well.. Bird arrows seems safer? If anyone asks we won't get into trouble if it look like we are bird hunting. I mean, I know this place doesn't have a local lord, but it seemed safer? Also it created less expectations about returning with anything." Chanwoo looked a little nervouse at Hanbin "besides I do have sharp arrowheads with me. It won't be a problem to change them when I need them". At Chanwoo's answer Hanbin felt a bit stunned. The answer reminded him of a different conversation in a different situations but with similar outcome. 

 "Hyung? Why are you carrying bird arrows? They aren't going to be much use for an assassination mission" Hanbin looked at his partner. Mino laughed "Well, bird arrows are safer to carry. We are poo farmers just going for a quick hunting break from our normal work after all" Mino winked at the other man, reminding him of their disguse "In addition, we won't get into trouble if it looks like we are doing bird hunting. And I don't know about you, but I don't feel like getting detained for illegal hunting, or suspicion of doing our mission you know. Bird arrows are perfect in that regad. And it creates less expectations about returning with a prey." 

"Sure that makes sense. However, bird arrows are going to be useless in assassinating the enemy's leader. Unless, you know, the leader is in fact a bird." Hanbin deadpaned. Mino grinned "I do have sharp arrowheads with me. The arrow heads are made in a way which makes them easy to change when I need them" 

The memory fade but left Hanbin both curious and a little uneasy. This was the second time the boy had conjured up an image of Mino with the was he acted and spoke. First the pattern and now this? Could it just be an coincident, or was there really a connection between the two? It had to just be a coincident. If it wasn't.. A scream shock Hanbin out of his thoughts. He imidiately noticed that Chanwoo was nowhere near him, the other having wandered on ahead while Hanbin had been cought up in his memory. 

The next thing Hanbin noticed was the sound of fighting, as well as a yell of pain which sounded way to much like Chanwoo for Hanbin's comfort. Hanbin felt himself fill with dread and ran towards the clamour ahead. 


A/N Hi again ^^ Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! Please leave a comment with any feedback, I greatly appreciate it. *bows* 

Just a warning, the next chapter might take a little longer to get up, due to me going away to celebrate my grandmother's birthday next weekend. I will try my best to update before I go. But no promises.