Chapter 3

What's in a name?

Hanbin was running through the woods. Alongside him his comrade and friend turned to fire one last arrow at ther persuers before running to catch up to Hanbin. "It's a fine day for a bit of light exercise" his partner, Song Mino, said while grinning. Hanbin shook his head at him. His friend was a good warrior, and Hanbin would trust Mino with his life any day, however Mino was also one of the biggest dork he knew. Here they were running for their lives, and Mino called it 'a bit of light exercise'. Still, they had accomplished their mission, and by the sound of things (or more specifically the lack of sound) they had somehow managed to outrun their pursuers. So Hanbin allowed himself to be trapped by Mino's enthusiasm "last one to the camp buys the other a drink" he called out before speeding up and running off a cliff. Huh? When that there ever been a... 

BANG! Hanbin woke just as he unceremoniously fell off the bed and hit the floor. Really? This was the third time this week! And he'd only been back for the duration of said week as well. It really was embarrassing. Who knew that adjusting to sleeping on a bed would be one of the biggest struggles with returning. Besides getting the guys to forgive him that is. However he was making a better progress on that than on the bed issue. Even if Jiwon had been completely serious about the latrine duty.Hanbin glared at the bed. He was seriously contemplating just sleeping on the floor, while the others would still for it at least it was better than falling out of the thing every other day.

A glance out the window told Hanbin that it was still really early. The sun had barely started to send it's light out over the surrounds, and it was very much still dark. The old, pre-war, Hanbin would have just gone back to bed. Not anymore though. Going to bed now was always a potential danger, and not just because of his new habit of falling out of the bed. No, as embarrassing as said new habit was, it was the memories invading his dreams that were the worst things about sleeping. He had been lucky with last night's dream. That was one of the good ones. Far more common was it for him to wake up with a scream or in panic, grabbing for his knife under his pillow to defend against invisible enemies. Going back to bed was definitively not an option. 

Instead Hanbin got dressed and quietly headed outside for some fresh air. Once outside he pulled off his shirt and tossed it to the side, before starting his morning work out routine. 5 years with daily drills had ingrained the habit so hard into him, that now he felt unable to stop. Nevertheless, it was a relief not being forced to do all the drills. Instead Hanbin focused on going through the martial arts patterns he had learned. They were like a dance where he could focus his mind, forget all the memories and his surroundings. And instead focus on the play of muscles and movements coming together in perfect harmony. 

After a while he became aware that someone was quietly watching him. He was not sure who it was, but as the person seemed to do his best not to disturb him, he pushed the awareness aside in favour of completing his pattern. Only once he finished de he allow himself to find out who the spectator was. To his surprise the person turned out to be Chanwoo. This was the first time Hanbin had laied eyes on the boy since the day he arrived and fixed the younger's wound. Jinhwan had made sure to confy Chanwoo to his room, going so far as to sleep outside his door and threatening to tie him down, to make sure the boy stayed in bed. Hanbin found it quite unnecessary really, though he valued his own life too much to ever say something about it.

In fact, Hanbin concluded, he would much rather face a 100 warriors alone, than try to convince an overprotective Jinhwan that he was going overboard. For a short moment he imagined the force Jinhwan would have been in combat. Just point him in the direction of the enemy and tell him they hurt one of his precious 'children'. Yet, Hanbin was glad Jinhwan had never come in contact with the war. As fun as the image might have been, he knew that the aftermath of combat would have crushd Jinhwan. He would never have survived seeing comrades die both in action and later from wounds. Nor would his heart have taken the strain of seeing all of the other people affected from the war efforts. No, Hanbin had never, and would never regret the decision he had made to ensure that his friends would not end up in that situation. 

"That was an interesting pattern, the focus seems off though like it was meant to be used by someone without arms almost" Chanwoo's slightly hesitant voice cut through Hanbin's thoughts and brought him back to the present. He studied the boy, there was genuine interest there, and a thirst for knowledge. "Ah, yes. I suppose you could say that." Hanbin answered while running a hand through his hair. "It's a combat pattern for archers. To use when the enemy is too close, but to assure you don't loose or damage your bow at the same time. That's why there are more feet and jump movements than in most patterns you see" Chanwoo nodded at the expanation. "That makes sense" He then got an earnest, almost puppy look and looked over at Hanbin "can you teach me?". 

Hanbin studied the younger. He was taller than he had seemed the first day. And had a nice build to him. There was something in the way he carried himself though that indicated an experience with martial arts. It made Hanbin very curious. "That depends" Hanbin said, looking intensely at the younger, clocking any reactions the other might give him. "Depends on what?" Chanwoo's voice betrayed a hint of nerves, even though he tried to remain calm. "Firstly it depends on the state of that wound of yours" Hanbin said pointing to his side, "secondly it depends on what experience you have yourself. I remember the healer mentioning something about you practicing martial arts. Not all forms can be thought to everyone who wishes to learn them. And this pattern is trickier than it seems".

Chanwoo blushed and looked down "I know a little. But, the pattern I know is very different than yours. As for the wound" the boy looked down before seemingly collecting himself and looked Hanbin straight into the eyes "I'll be careful. The wound really isn't as bad as Jinhwan hyung makes it out to be. It will not trouble me". His expression screamed off determination, and Hanbin felt his initial reluctance gradually melt away. Chanwoo was turning into a bigger puzzle  and Hanbin felt a need to solve it. 

"Well lets see then" Hanbin said and Chanwoo's face immidiately light up "Really?" Hanbin nodded and indicated for Chanwoo to take off his shirt. Chanwoo hesitated for a moment before taking a big breath and took his shirt off. Hanbin moved closer and felt Chanwoo stiffen a bit. Something had clearly happened to the boy previously, somethign that made him uncomfortable with having Hanbin move so close. Keeping that in mind Hanbin quickly made a point of confusing on the bandage. He gently lifted it, and saw that the healing was coming along nicely. It would shouldn't be any problem for the younger to at least do a light demonstration of his skills. 

As soon as he finished his inspection he stepped back and nodded "the healing is coming along nicely. Alright then. Show me what you can do. Gently. No need to risk braking the wound open again." He gave a smirk "Nor get me into trouble with mummy Jinhwan". At that Chanwoo chuckled and some of the tension left his frame.

Chanwoo felt determined to show the older that he was worthy of learning the pattern. He knew he was not the best, but he always tried his hardest.  He was determined to learn everything he could, especially since Hanbin's pattern was so different from the one he knew which mostly focused on hand combat, where you needed all four of your limbs to work together. If only he had known Hanbin's way of fighting when... Well it was to late to think about that now. It was in the past and that's where it would stay. Chanwoo pulled his thoughts together and focused on the task at hand. Then he started the dance of the pattern. 

Hanbin felt himself stare in awe. The boy looked beautiful like that, going through the martial arts pattern. There was a calmness over him the moment he started to move; he looked similar to the way Hanbin felt whenever he submerged himself into the dance of the pattern. This boy really was an enigma. However, the movements were also familiar. Very familiar. Hanbin knew he had seen the pattern preformed before, and only by one group of  five people: Mino and his friends from the same village. Nowhere else had he seen someone perform a pattern such as this, with interlinking hand and feet attacks. The only difference was that Chanwoo clearly was more inexperienced than any of the men from Hanbin's old troupe. He was more hesitant and stiff, and it was not only on account of the wound. Yet, he clearly had potential. 

Chanwoo finished the pattern and nervously turned to see the other man's reaction. For a while everything was quiet and the two stood there sizing each other up. Then Hanbin smiled, and Chanwoo felt relieved. Surely a smill was a good reaction? "You have a long way to go. But there are some potential. Lets wait untill the wound fully heals and I'll make you wish you never asked to learn an archers pattern" The last part was said teasingly and Chanwoo couldn't help the smile lighting up his face. He did it. He would be able to learn. 

Hanbin felt strange seeing the relief and joy in the younger's face at his words. It made him wounder what the boy had faced earlier in his life. While Chanwo had gone through he pattern Hanbin had been able to get a closer look at the boy's back, seeing marks that had to come from a wip. And again he wondered what had happened to the boy before Donghyuk and Junhoe fished him out of the water. "I've seen that pattern performed before" he said, clocking the reaction his words brought forth. Chanwoo stiffened "Oh?". Hanbin nodded "There was a group of men in my company during the war. They fought like that. They said it was special to their village. If that is the case you are far from home". Chanwoo felt a hint of panic and sadness. "lets just say.. the reason to stay there disappeared in the war" was all he said before grabing his shirt and walked back towards the house. 

Hanbin nodded to himself then, before he boy got to far he grabed his shirt and ran up to the other laying an arm over his shoulders. "We all have a reason for what we do. Take your time. If you ever want to talk about it just say so. In the mean time, you should mentally prepare yourself. I told you already I would make you regret asking me to teach you" Hanbin gave the boy one last smirk before running ahead up to the house. Just before entering he shouted "I'd hurry up, before Jinhwan finds out you snuck out" He gave the younger one last smirk before disappearing into the house. 

Chanwoo stood frozen for a moment. His head full of different things. Hanbin would still teach him. Surprise that the other had not asked more questions after discovering where he came from. And then the Hanbin's last words cut through the fog. Oh no, Jinhwan! Jinhwan had still not allowed him to leave the house. He was going to be in so much trouble. 


A/N Thank you so much to all the people subscribing :D And a big thank you to those commenting. I appreciate it a lot!