Chapter 2

What's in a name?

Then all hell broke loose.

"Is that blood?! Why is there blood? Jung Chanwoo what did you do?! I knew it. I knew letting you go off alone was a bad idea. Oh god what if he dies?!" Jinhwan"It's just a scratch hyung. Relax" Chanwoo immediately regretted opening his mouth. "A scratch?! JUST A SCRATCH?! A scratch does not mean your entire side ends up covered in blood, or you bleeding onto my kitchen floor Jung Chanwoo! You just wait until that heals, I'll make sure you never think about going off hunting on your own again! A scratch! I never! And you!" Jinhwan turned his anger onto Jiwon who had tried to calm him down. "This is all your fault! 'Let the boy go Jinhwan' you said. 'he'll be fine' you said. Does he look FINE to you?!"

Hanbin resisted the need to chuckle. Indeed, certain things never changed, and it seemed that Jinhwan's overprotectiveness was one of them. He briefly wondered who this kid was, to receive such a rant from the other guy. However, that was a question for another time; instead, he concentrated on the wound. The kid was right in that the wound would be all right. It was a far cry from the worst that Hanbin had seen someone recover from after all, yet it was also far from being 'just a scratch' as the kid had put it. All in all Hanbin was impressed with the boy's attempt at hiding the wound. It took a strong mind and willpower to do so.

"Jiwon" Hanbin called, cutting though Jinhwans angry rant, "get me some of that special bre of yours. I am sure you stil have some. Jinhwan? Jinhwan, listen to me! The boy will be fine, just get me some water, needle and thread and a candle" Hanbin spoke a bit hrsher than what was perhaps strictly necessary, however it ensured that Jinhwan quited down and would d what he was told. "Bandages? Right. Yes of course" Jinhwan turned to the others in the room "Junhoe, you go get the healer. Quickly. Donghyuk you go get some water. Donghyuk?!" Jinhwan tried to get Donghyuk's attention but he was completely frozen. "I'll go" Yunghyeong spoke up and left after Junhoe. At the same time Jiwon returned with a bottle and handed it to Hanbin before patting Donghyuk's shoulder "Donghyuk? Go get the sowing kit from upstairs." Jiwon spoke friendly but firmly, effectivly shaking the other man out of his frozen state to do what he was told. Hanbin gave Jinhwan a poinited look, sending him to locate a candle and matches.

Meanwhile Jiwon had located a small leather covered stick and moved to sit behind Chanwoo. Chanwoo eyed him and the stick cautiously. This was going to , almost as much as falling into the bear trap did. Though he was interested in what this 'special brew' of Jiwon's was, having never seen the bottle before. When Hanbin opened the bottle a strong smell of alcohol appeared. Ah, that would be why it's called 'special brew' Chanwoo thought to himself. Hanbin looked at the boy before him "One shot for currage" he said before pouring a good portion of the liquid into Chanwoo's mouth. It burned going down his throat. Chanwoo felt a strong need to cough, to attempt to remove the burning sensation. However, when he tried his only reward was gettting the leather bound stick forced into his mouth by Jiwon.

Jiwon grabed a hold of Chanwoo, and made sure to secure the others arms and torso close to himself. At the same time, Hanbin poured some of the liquid onto Chanwoo's wound. If Chanwoo had though drinking the liquid had burned, it was nothing against the sensation of having it poured onto his wound. He was convinced that this hurt a lot more than getting the injury in the first place. If not for Jiwon holding him down, Chanwoo would have been trashing around. Instead all he could do was to bite down hard onto the stick in his mouth.

"What are you doing?!" Jinhwan yelled, having chosen that moment to return with Donghyuk in tow. "The alcohol will clense the wound, and kill any infections that might have started" Hanbin said before instructing Jinhwan to light the candle, while grabbing the sowing kit from Donghyuk. Hanbin heated the needle in the flame before washing it in more of the alcohol. Then he started the grim task of sowing the wound together, ignoring Jinhwans question about waiting for the healer.

It hurt. Chanwoo tried to get his mind of the pain by categorizing the different pains he had experienced today. Stumbling over the bags ranked low on direct pain, but high on pain inflicted he decided. After all, if he hadn't triped the rest of the pain following wouldn't have happened. Getting sown back up was climing up to the number one spot though, possibly followed by the alcohol and then the bear trap itself. It definitively , but he had experienced similar things before.

"You have done this before" an unfamiliar voice stated just as Hanbin finished sowing up Chanwoo's side. Hanbin turned to find that Junhoe had returned, with a man he assumed to be the healer. Yunhyeong followed behind them with a bucket of steaming water. Hanbin grunted in confirmation before turning his attention towards the boy. To his surprise, Chanwoo was still conscious. Curious, he thought, knowing form experience that passing out was common while getting sown up, especially without anything to take away the pain with.

"I'm Yixing by the way" said the healer, who was suddenly sitting next to Hanbin and started to wash the blood of the boy. "Nice job on the stitches" Yixing commented before bandaging up the wound and giving Chanwoo some medicine to drink. Hanin shock his head, this person seemed almost to cheerful and friendly. He truned his attention back on the boy "God job kid. It's not many that would be able to take getting sown up like that", "Chanwoo" came a surprisingly raspy voice. "What?" Hanbin asked. "Name's.. Chanwoo.. not kid" the bo.. Chanwoo said before slumping over to the side into Yixing's waiting hands.

"Well that took longer than expected" the healer cheerfully commented with a bright smile. "I expected the sleeping aid in the medicine to kick in at once. Oh well. Oh, don't look at me like that Jinhwan. We both know Chanwoo would insist on being fine and ignore any sense about staying put. This was is much easier. He'll be asleep until tomorrow, after that it's your task to make sure he doesn't go tearing the wound open again. And none of that martial arts thingy of his! I'll pop back inn in a few days to check his progress." with that, the healer backed up his stuff and left, leaving the others looking at the sleeping boy. Hanbin was sure he was the only one who noticed that one of the pies seemed to have disappeared with Yixing.

"Well, that's that then" Jiwon commented and his hand over Chanwoo's hair. "Guess we'd better get you to bed". "I'll take him" Junhoe's voice rang out. Carefully, and with the help of the others he hoisted Chanwoo onto his shoulders, before starting to carry him up the narrown staircase. It took about half a second before Jinhwan sprang into acction again "Oh god, he is going to drop him" he said worriedly before going to assist Jumhoe up the staircase.

Hanbin looked at his remaining friends. "So.. Who is this Chanwoo? And what's he doing here?" at his question Jiwon started to laugh. "He is Donghyuk and Junhoe's prize catch". Hanbin looked confused at his best friend. Yunhyeong grinned and continued the explanation "Donghyuk and Junhoe decided to go fishing about a year and a half ago. Or something like that. Unfortunately, they didn't get any fish. What they did manage to catch in their net, however, was the kid. They brought him home, and his state at that time triggered Jinhwan’s maternal instinct, as you probably gathered. Since then Jung Chanwoo has been in a constant battle of escaping Jinhwan's overprotective eye. Clearly, he is never being left out of sight after this" The rest of the chuckled. Hanbin did not doubt that it would take a long time before this Jung Chanwoo would be left alone. Wait. Jung Chanwoo? This was the first time the name fully registered in Hanbin's mind and he frowned. He had a feeling he’d heard a similar name before.

“you should head to bed too” Jiwon spoke behind Hanbin. “You look exhausted; your room is still there”. Hanbin couldn’t argue about that. He had had a long journey and was starting to feel the exhaustion creep back in. So he picked up his stuff and let himself be lead up the stairs and to a door leading to one of the many odd add-ons of the house. He opened the door to find his room, minus the dirty laundry, just as he had left it. However, he was surprised to find it a lot less dusty than what he had expected.

Hanbin put down his bags, carefully to keep them away from the door this time, and flopped down onto his bed. God it was good to be home. Although his return had turned a bit more eventful than what he had imagined. As he drifted off, he entered a memory of a burning fire, laughter and a voice: “This belonged to Chanu. He gave it to me as a luck charm” 


A/N Thank you all for subscribing and commenting! *bows* It warms my heart. I'm sorry this chapter sounds a bit like a filler. But there are some hints for later hidden in the text for those with keep eyes.