Chapter 2 – The Beginning

Reminisce

‘She’s back. Seohyun is back.’

Yonghwa stayed inside his car after he parked it outside his apartment. He just drove Choa to the airport for her two weeks business trip in Hong Kong.

Seohyun came to his apartment this morning. She jumped and hugged him tightly like it used to be when they were together. But that moment Choa came into the picture, so that Seohyun started crying and running away. She asked him to break up with her whereas they had broken up five years ago. Then he learned that Seohyun suffered a partial memory loss and forgot all the things happened in Seoul.

He rested his head on the steering wheel and remembered the difficult time he had when she was not with him. He needed to calm his heart and pray that his wedding preparation with Choa will be going smoothly.

***

‘Omma, I really miss you. Everybody is leaving me. What should I do?’

Seohyun cried her heart out till she fell asleep while waiting for Yonghwa inside his apartment.

She found an unexpected situation when she arrived this morning. It turned out that she had already broken up with him years ago. She could not remember anything about when or why they would do that. They were so in love with each other back then.

On top of that, now he was in his wedding preparation with his fiance, Choa, that would be held at the beginning of August.

She didn’t know what to do next, because her heart felt so hurt.

***

Seohyun slowly opened her eyes to find herself sleeping on a sofa with a blanket covered her. She sat up and saw Yonghwa busied himself in the kitchen.

After several minutes, he noticed her sitting figure, “Oh, you are awake?”

“Why didn’t you wake me up when you arrived?” she asked him curtly.

“Sorry, I have no heart to wake you up when you were sleeping like a baby.”

“Yes, you are a bad person with no heart,” she muttered to herself.

“What are you saying?”

“Nothing,” she looked away to the window.

‘It must be late in the afternoon right now that the sky has turned to grey.’

“I bet you feel so tired after your trip from Seoul with your condition like that. How did you get here? By train? Have you asked your doctor’s permission to travel this far?” he asked while putting a cup of tea in front of her.

“Yes, I traveled to Busan by riding a morning train. And yes, I have asked permission from my doctor. I even pleaded to my nanny for this trip.”

He just chuckled at her answer.

“What is so funny?” he really pissed her off.

“Nothing,” he responded and continued, “So, what has happened to your leg?”

“Duh, didn’t you read a newspaper, Yonghwa-ssi? I was involved in a car accident weeks ago, broke my leg, and lost my memories, happy?”

She was about to cry again, when he spoke up, “I’m really sorry if I make you upset, Seohyun-ah. I didn’t mean to break your heart this morning. I was just telling you the truth.”

“Yes, I get it. I just still cannot believe it that we have broken up years ago. Why would we do that actually?” she was crestfallen.

“It’s difficult to explain our situation at that time. It just happened. Hope you will recover your memories soon and understand it by yourself.”

“I hope so. It’s really uncomfortable to forget many important things about yourself. Thank you so much for telling me one more fact about me, and sorry for troubling you today. Aargh, it is so embarrassing that I acted like a drama queen before. Was Choa Unnie angry to you, Oppa?”

His eyes widened as he heard her called him ‘Oppa’.

‘It has been a long time since she called me that.’

“Ahh, I cannot call you ‘Oppa’ anymore, right?” she looked down to her hands on her lap.

“Of course not, you still can call me ‘Oppa’ if you want. You are my little dongsaeng after all. And lucky for me, Choa was not angry,” he smiled at her.

“That’s a relief,” she sniffed and wiped the tears at the corner of her eyes.

“Aigoo~ You’re such a cry baby,” he unconsciously ruffled her hair lovingly.

Seohyun stiffened due to his touch while Yonghwa also suprised himself with his action toward her. The next thing he knew, they laughed awkwardly before he pulled his hand back and she hastily sipped her tea.

“So, Seohyun-ah, what is your next plan in Busan?” he asked her again after a few minutes of silence.

“Hmm.. I don’t know. I don’t have any specific plan since I suddenly got dumped by you,” she pointed her finger to him, ”Maybe I will stroll around for a day and get back to Seoul on the next day. I really miss to pig out in Busan without any worry about my weight. But first, I must find an inn or a hotel for tonight.”

He laughed wholeheartedly at her remark, “Aigoo~ I’m sorry for dumping you so suddenly, Seohyun-ah.”

“In return, let me buy you a dinner, then I will help you find an accomodation. I don’t think you can walk properly with a crutch and a luggage,” he offered.

“Deal, thank you so much for helping this poor lady, Sir.”

Then they laughed together just like the old times when they spent their weekend as a couple.

***

February 2nd, 2016

Yonghwa lay flatly on a rug for a long time since he woke up. He was thinking many things that had happened yesterday.

How could she come here to meet him? Why she lost her other memories except her memories with him? Why she came back to him when he was getting married to Choa? And why his heart wavered because of her? Then what did he actually feel toward Choa all this time?

He sighed deeply when he heard someone was knocking at the door.

“Oppa, wake up! Don’t you need to go to work?” she called him from the outside.

Yes, it was Seohyun. She slept over at his apartment last night. In his bedroom to be exact, when he slept inside his study room. They could not find a room for her in the nearest hotel or inn last night, and she looked so pale to keep on searching through the night. So, he decided to offer her to sleep at his apartment.

‘Aigoo, what have I gotten myself into?’

He came out from the study room several minutes later and saw her sitting comfortably on the sofa in front of the television. He grabbed a glass of water in the kitchen before sitting on the floor next to her cast.

“Oppa, aren’t you going to work?” she asked him while changing the TV channel.

“Nope,” he shook his head.

“Now I remember that you also didn’t go to work yesterday. Seolma..? You’re jobless, aren’t you?” she squinted her eyes curiously.

“Yah! How dare you accuse me as a jobless person when I treated you an expensive dinner last night? Tch, I am so disappointed,” as he pouted and crossed his arms.

“Now the choding oppa is back. I’m sorry, okay? Or should I treat you for one meal at lunch as my apologize?”

He nodded his head happily to the offer.

“But are you sure you don’t need to go to work today?” she asked him again.

“Yes, Ma’am, I take one day off for an important matter today.”

“What is it?”

“Hmm.. I have a fitting schedule for my wedding tuxedos,” he explained to her carefully to avoid her discomfort.

“Oh,” she uttered a short reply and continued to watch TV quietly.

***

“Seohyun-ah, let’s go! Won’t you treat me one meal? I cannot afford to wait until the lunch time. I’m so hungry right now,” Yonghwa called Seohyun after freshen up himself.

“Right now? Don’t you need to go to the bridal?” she looked at him with her sad eyes and it broke his heart.

“Yes, right now. My fitting schedule is on the afternoon and I need to fill my stomach before that. So, you must buy me a very delicious brunch and accompany me to stroll around the city until then. Come on, little pig!”

“Yah!”

He hold her hand and dragged her outside the apartment as they started their one day vacation around Busan.

***

The afternoon sky had turned into its beautiful color with the gentle breeze blew along the way. Yonghwa and Seohyun found themselves sitting side-by-side at their favorite beach. It was so refreshing to enjoy a beautiful scenery after a tiring city tour for several hours.

“It feels so good to play the sand with our feet, right?”

“De, Oppa.”

“It’s a pity that your right leg is in a cast. Should I sign it too, so it can recover quickly?” he .

“Ah cham. Should you ruin the moment, Oppa?” she complained.

He just chuckled and tried to grasp some sand between his toes.

.

.

“Oppa.. Congratulation on your wedding. Lucky for you Choa Unnie is so beautiful. You both look good together. I hope both of you will live happily ever after,” she broke the silence between them.

“Thank you,” he replied shortly.

“Sorry for saying it just now.”

“There’s no need to be sorry, Seohyun-ah.”

.

.

“Seohyun-ah, actually there is something that bother me since yesterday,” he nudged her slightly.

“What is it, Oppa?”

“You lost almost all of your memories, right?”

“De.”

“And you don’t remember all of your friends in Seoul, right?”

“De.”

“But you remember me as your boyfriend?”

“De.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s because I don’t remember you in here,” she pointed her finger to her head.

“But in here,” then she pointed it to her heart.

They both looked at each other and felt their own heart beating in a rhythm that had been long forgotten.


Author's note:

What do you think? Is it too fast to start afresh?

Thank you so much for the comments, subscribers, and readers.

Please enjoy the story and help me review my way of delivering this story.

See you on the next update :)

- minikittybdg -