Chapter 6 – The Separation

Reminisce

March 14th, 2011 – Seoul

It had been nearly one year since Seohyun moved to Seoul.

Was they still in relationship? Yes, they was.

However as the time passed by, it was getting more difficult to work on.

For the first three months, nothing had changed except for going on a date on the weekend. Both Seohyun and Yonghwa really tried their best to maintain their relationship. They called or texted each other almost every night. Sometimes she visited him back in Busan once in a month. He also attended her first performance in Seoul.

Even if it was not easy, they believed their love would last forever. If only that happened.

Days went by and they barely had time to contact each other. Their schedules were unmatch. There were a few times, when Yonghwa called Seohyun but she could not answer because of her practice session and forgot to call him back. Another time, she called him at night but he had already slept. It was hard to find a perfect time just to say hello.

Their lack of communication led them to have several misunderstandings. And it turned to grow into bigger problems from time to time.

Yonghwa found that Seohyun loved her career more than anything and always put it on her first priority. It really bothered him. So start from the beginning of this year, they often had quarrel with each other.

Then finally came the day of their anniversary.

Yonghwa could not contact Seohyun since morning. But then he thought that maybe she was on her way to Busan to give him a surprise event. He was so happy just to image that finally they would meet each other after a long time. But in fact, she totally forgot about that.

He was furious when she didn’t showed up, nor did she contact him till the next day. He gave her silent treatment for weeks before reconcile with her. But deep inside his heart, she had already disappointed him.

***

“Congratulation, Hyuu~n. That was awesome,” Yonghwa gave Seohyun a bouquet of mini-sunflowers in her dressing room after the performance closed.

After the anniversary incident and continuous quarrels between them for months, he decided to meet her in Seoul and talk about their problem directly with her. Therefore, he came to watch her tonight performance.

“Oppa~,” she greeted him cheerfully and received the bouquet, “Thank you for coming.”

“Hmm,” he hugged her in tight embrace.

‘Oh I miss her so much,’ he thought inwardly before he held her face and kissed her tenderly.

It might not their first kiss but it had been so long since he had her so close like that. It was felt so right and relieving at the same time, as if it told him to believe that everything would be alright.

She pulled herself a little after they broke their kiss, “Oppa, are you staying over tonight? You should stay and see my new apartment. It was two-bedroom apart—“

“You moved out from your dorm? When did you do that? Why didn’t you tell me?” he frowned.

“I’m sorry, Oppa. I forgot to tell you last month,” she hugged him back more tightly to avoid his further question, “Later. I will tell you about that later, okay? Now let me burried myself in your warm embrace.”

Then they heard someone knocked on the door and entered the room.

“Congratulation on your performace, Seohyun-ssi!” a middle-age man greeted her loudly.

Surprised at her visitor, Seohyun abruptly released herself and took one step back from Yonghwa.

“Director-nim~!”

“Oh you are having a visitor today,” he stated and gave her a big bouquet of red roses, “This is for our best performer tonight.”

She put the mini-sunflowers carelessly on the dressing table as she received that man’s bouquet.

“Gamsahamnida, Director-nim. It’s so beautiful,” she bowed politely.

Yonghwa stood awkwardly and stared at his forgotten sunflowers, when suddenly Seohyun called him.

“Oppa, I’m sorry, can you wait for me in the lobby?” she asked him, “I need to talk to Mr.Director here privately.”

“Huh? O-oh okay,” he walked out from that room with disappointment.

“Thank you, Oppa. I will meet you there in a moment.”

***

After their dinner date, they took a walk alongside the Han River for a while before decided to sit on one of those benches.

“Ahh~ It’s so refreshing to spend our time enjoying this beautiful night after a long tiring day. Am I right, Oppa?” she rested her head on his shoulder.

“De,” he simply replied.

“What’s wrong with your short reply? You don’t like it?” she sat up and looked at him in question.

She had been confused since their dinner time. He was awfully quiet and gave her cold shoulder. Very different with his warm hug and kiss in the theater.

He kept silence and looked straight to the river.

“Are you probably angry with me, Oppa? What is it again this time?” she asked him in an irritated tone.

“Please don’t start it, Hyun. We should not quarreling right now.”

“I am starting this, huh? You acted like you love me with all your heart earlier in the theater, and in a split of second you don’t want to talk to me. Then now you are accusing me who started this quarrel. What’s wrong with you today, Oppa?” she crossed her arms over her chest.

“I was not acting, never. Maybe you are the one that were acting all this time, since you need to practice to act naturally,” he argued with her.

“Seriously, Oppa, I really don’t get it why are you doubting my feeling for you right now,” she run fingers through her hair desperately.

“Because you have already forgotten our anniversary,” he started to pour his worries out.

“Ah, that gives me a new light in this conversation. So, we’re talking about that day now. I’ve said I’m sorry, Oppa. I really am. That time I had intensive practice from early in the morning until late at night for whole week. That made me so tired and forgot our anniversary. I’m really sorry, Oppa. Should we celebrate it now? Better late than never, right?”

She said it like it wasn’t important for her. It really broke his heart.

“That’s not the point, Hyun.”

“Aigoo~ Don’t be oversensitive, Oppa. We can solve this together.”

“You’ve changed,” he finally said it.

“Duh! Everybody does, Oppa. That’s the point of growing up. What is the problem with that?”

“You’re not growing up, but changing into completely different person. I can barely recognize you.”

“I’m sorry, Oppa. But I think we should not continue this talk right now. Both of us are tired and we will probably hurt each other with our argument. Let’s go home now. We will talk about this later, when I get back from Japan next month.”

Seohyun tried to stop fighting with him. Unfortunately, she made a wrong move and worsened their situation.

“You’ll go to Japan?”

“De, more precisely next week.”

“And you forget to tell me again?” he asked her in disbelief.

“I’m sorry, Oppa,” she lowered her gaze to her feet.

“I don’t know, Hyun. I can not understand you lately. This relationship is too hard for me. You make it harder for both of us.”

“Why do you always blame it on me when we are in this relationship together? Then tell me what should I do to make you happy. Should I go back to Busan and give up on my dream?” she covered her face with her hands as she started to sob.

“That’s not what I mean, Hyun. It’s just I don’t know how long will you prioritize your career over me. It’s so frustrating.”

His heart was hurt to see her crying. He was trying to hold her hands when suddenly she stood up and said those painful words to him.

“Let’s break up now. Us.”

“Hyun...”

“I tired, Oppa. You didn’t trust me anymore, so what is the point of holding this relationship any longer. Just break up with me, Oppa,” she looked straightly to his eyes.

“If that is what you want,” he gave up.

“De, that is what I want. So if you will excuse me, I have to go now. Goodbye, Jung Yonghwa-ssi.”

Then Seohyun bowed deeply before turned to leave Yonghwa behind.

‘Goodbye, Seo Joohyun-ssi’, he spoke inwardly as he looked at her retreating back.

***

January 18th, 2016

Seohyun had successfully achieved her dream in these past five years. She had been known as a renowned musical actress in her young age. She had even surpassed some of her seniors in her theater group.

If you ask how could she get there, that probably because she had sacrificed everything she had, including her time, her friends, her life, and her boyfriend, Jung Yonghwa.

Since their break up that night, she focused herself solely on her career. She practiced days and nights until she practically lived inside the studio. There were a few times she lost her voice. She also suffered sprained ankle for several times. She even wondered if she has ever worked that hard in her whole life.

But sometimes she would wake up in the middle of the night and realize that she didn’t have anybody to share her feelings. There was no one to be called when she won an award. There was no one that stand up for her when everybody talked nasty things about her that she never did. There was no one to rely on when she had a hard time of her life.

She was alone.

Last night she dreamed about him. He was smiling brightly at her like it supposed to be. Did she regret her decision to leave him that time? She really didn’t know. It just because she missed him more lately.

‘Are you doing well? Are you still the same? If you meet someone else, will you forget me?’

***

Although, Seohyun could not sleep well because of her dream last night, she had to go to Jeju Island for a cf shoot early in the morning.

She spent her day all around Jeju to take several scenes for the cf. She felt so tired and sleepy when she arrived at Seoul in the evening.

Still, she could not go home and take a rest, she needed to go to the rehearsal for her next musical project.

Unluckily, she asked her driver to take a day off when he told her that his child was sick. So, she drove her car by herself and got into an accident in her way.

***

February 5th, 2016

Seohyun opened her eyes and saw Yonghwa sleeping while resting his head on the side of her bed. She remembered that she fainted during their conversation near Han River.

Slowly, she lifted her hand and gently his hair.

‘He’s here. Yonghwa Oppa is here.’

Yonghwa felt someone caressed his hair when he realize that he was in the hospital after Seohyun fainted last night. He sat up immediately and check on her to find her looking at him with her sad eyes.

“Oh my God, Seohyun-ah, are you awake? Are you feeling okay now? Do you recognize me?” he showered her with questions as he pushed the nurse button.

“I think I should call the doctor,” he stood up and run to the nurse station in panic.

“How is her condition, Doctor?” he asked the doctor worriedly after the examination finished.

“There’s nothing to worry. Her vital signs are stable. She can go home this afternoon. But I suggest you to meet her neurologist to check her memory condition,” the doctor replied to his question..

Then he turned to Seohyun, “Please be more careful, Seohyun-ssi. I don’t want to meet you too often here, okay?”

“Algaesumnida. Thank you so much, Doctor,” she bowed her head politely.

Yonghwa sat next to her bed after he send the doctor out.

“How do you feel, Seohyun-ah?”

“Much better, Oppa,” she replied weakly.

“You scared me to death last night. Don’t you dare to do that again to this weak heart of mine,” he warned her.

“Sorry for making you worried. And thank you so much for staying here, Oppa.”

“It’s alright. That’s what friend are for, Seohyun-ah,” he gave her a warm smile as he continued, “Oh, don’t forget to meet your neurologist before we go home later, okay? Have you remembered anything else?”

“No, I haven’t, Oppa.”

Truth to be told, now she had fully recovered her memory. She remembered everything that happen in these five years. How lonely her life was for not having him beside her.

‘I am sorry, Choa-ssi, I can not let him go once again...’


Author's note:

That’s it. I finally spill the beans.

Being young and passionate do not always make your love life easier, right?

Now we have another problems: will Yonghwa discover Seohyun’s lie; will he be disappointed if he knew; who will he choose as the bride?

Thank you so much for your supports: comments, subscribers, and readers. I’m sorry I haven’t replied all of your comments yet. I hope this chapter can fulfill your curiosity of their backstory.

But please don’t stop to drop your comment here and help me answer the questions above.

Enjoy the story and see you on the next update :)

- minikittybdg -