Chapter 9 – The Reminisce

Reminisce

February 11th, 2017

‘It’s my day off, so I didn’t want to just stay at home’

Seohyun got off the train as soon as it arrived at the station. She stretched out her arms and inhaled the morning fresh air gracefully. Right that moment, she realized how much time had passed since she took a refreshing vacation.

‘It’s been a while, I got ready to go out’

She passed through the exit gate and started to walk until she found a small restaurant at the corner of the street. She felt a little bit hungry, so she decided to have her breakfast there.

As she entered the restaurant, she chose the empty seat near the window before she picked up her phone and called someone.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Yoboseyo, Ahjummoni.”

“Agassi~ Have you arrived now?” Mrs.Kim greeted her in a relieved tone.

“De, Ahjummoni. I have arrived safely in Busan.”

It had been a year since her small adventure to find her ex-boyfriend with the memory-lost condition in this city. She laughed and shook her head a little as she remembered how ridiculous it was back then.

This time, she came back here for a different purpose, which was only to reminisce all the wonderful memories she had created with him.

And she started it with this restaurant, their favorite restaurant.

***

Yonghwa had never contacted her again since he left her apartment that morning. She didn’t even try to ask why, because the reason was so clear. His wedding.

She locked herself for weeks before she accepted the reality between them. If he had moved on with his life, then she should do that, too.

Seohyun began her healing process by working so hard. She believed that work would help you to forget your pain.

However, she tried her best to divide her time more wisely between her career and her interaction with people; her seniors, colleagues, and friends. Even though they still doubted her sincerity, she felt that they gradually befriended with her.

‘I laughed and talked among people who look happy’

Her personality slowly changed back to the bright-and-warm person. And the cold and lonely life she had slowly disappeared.

‘Even I was surprised at how bright I got’

***

After she finished her breakfast, she continued her journey to visit her high school. Fortunately, it was sunday so the school was empty. She walked through the corridor while tracing her hand to the wall, remembering the past where she usually spent her time standing and chatting with her friends.

She entered the classroom and sat in the middle of the front row where she used to sit. She closed her eyes and rested her head on the desk. Yes, she was one of those nerds who always sat on the front row and she didn’t regret it. Her high school life was so fun.

Especially when she had him around her.

Thereafter, she went to the backyard of the school where she usually read one of her books under the tree. She sat down and leaned her back to the tree while her mind started to wander to the memory of her first kiss.

*Flashback*

It was their 200th days anniversary. That day, Yonghwa promised to pick her up and take her to a special date after her musical club ended, so she waited for him under the tree at the backyard of the school.

He ran toward her spot when he finally arrived.

“Hyuu~n”

“Oppa~ you have come?”

“De. You always spend most of your time reading in here. What are you reading now?” he asked her as he sat down next to her.

“Just my new book. Do you want us to get going now?”

“Ah, aniya. Please continue what you are doing. I want to take a rest for minutes.”

“Algaesumnida.”

Then he rested his head on her left shoulder.

“Oppa~ are you sleeping?” she called him because he had been too quiet.

There was no answer. She turned her head a little to check on his face. And she knew perfectly that he only pretended to sleep.

“Oppa~ Yong Oppa~ I know you’re not sleeping.”

No response.

“Oppa~ wake up,” she moved her shoulder repeatedly but he didn’t budge.

Therefore, she playfully pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Yah, it’s hurt,” he suddenly sat up and rubbed the spot where she pinched him.

“Hahaha.. That’s your own fault.”

“Can’t I rest my head on my girlfriend’s shoulder?”

“It is heavy, Oppa.”

“No, it is not.”

“Yes, it is.”

“I’m not heavy, Hyun.”

“Should we argue about this?” she responded nonchalantly.

Then he crossed his arms and turned away from her.

“Aigoo~ Here comes my choding oppa. Are you angry with me?” she put down her book and moved to sit in front of him.

“No, I’m not,” he denied strongly.

“Then why do you pout you lips?”

“Just because I want to. Can’t I do that too?” he muttered.

“Oh, I see. Then, whilst you pout your lips like that, can I kiss you?”

That question left him dumbfounded.

“Tch, now you try to tease me with that joke,” he replied awkwardly after a while, because deep down inside his heart, he really wanted to kiss her.

“I’m not.”

He could not believe his ears. But looking at her nervous smile, he knew that maybe his chance was finally coming.

“Then do it,” he challenged her.

Now, he left her dumbfounded.

“See? You are afraid, Hyuu~n,” he when suddenly she lifted herself and pecked his lips.

He was stunned. His eyes widened due to shock.

When his consciouness back, he grinned widely and saw her covered her face with both hands. He slowly reached her hands and pull it down.

She avoided his gaze because of her total shyness and her face was redder than tomato, if it was even possible.

“That was very brave of you. Happy 200th days anniversary, Hyuu~n”

“Happy 200th days anniversary, Yoo~ng”

Then he pulled her nape and gave a full kiss on her lips.

*End of Flashback*

She raised her hand and touched her lips when a small smile slowly spread on her face.

***

Seohyun found herself sitting under the warm afternoon sunlight at their favorite beach, her last destination of the day. She traced her hand at the empty spot beside her and started thinking about him.

‘Oppa,

How have you been? Did you take care of yourself well?

I take a really good care of myself.

My right leg has recovered last year, and now I can play the sand with my both legs.

I has gotten back to work and performed several musicals with my team.

I also has fixed my personality and made many friends with my seniors and colleagues.

Back then, I thought it would be hard to even breathe without you.

But I’m happy right now. As much as I’m happy, I’m sorry.

I hope you are happy, too.

 

Oppa, Yong Oppa,

Today I visited our special places.

The road we walked together, the restaurant at the corner of the street, our school, and... here, our favorite beach.

Don’t worry too much, I’m just a little bit not over you.

Maybe because the wind feels cool and the weather is nice, so I thought of you.

If time passes a little, will I be able to see you once more?

Because I know it won’t work even if we meet again.

The more I think that it’s over, I miss you so much more.

I miss you a lot today.’

 

She bent her head down and rested it on her knees, then started to cry her heart out.

 

‘Oppa,

I think it’s time for me to say a real goodbye to you.

Goodbye my love.

Thank you so much for everything,

I’m glad I fell in love with you.’

***

Late in the afternoon, Seohyun was so hungry after her crying session before. Therefore, she decided to have an early dinner at the small restaurant near the beach.

As soon as she entered, she saw a familiar woman behind the counter. Then, the latter gave her the most beautiful smile when she finally met her eyes.

Seohyun took a deep breath when she saw her approached the table. She stood up and they exchanged their greetings politely.

“Please have a seat.”

“Thank you.”

“I’m surprised to meet you here, Seohyun-ssi. I think it has been a year since the last time I meet you in Busan. How have you been?”

“De, I’m fine, thank you. How about you, Choa-Unnie?”

“As you can see, I always on my best condition,” she smiled proudly, “So, Seohyun-ssi, what brought you here?”

“Ah, today I have matters to be done in Busan. And when I finally finished it, my stomach grumbled wildly so I decided to have my early dinner in here. Do you work here, Unnie?”

“Technically, my mother was the owner of this place. But since she passed away two years ago, it’s mine.”

“Oh, I’m really sorry to hear that.”

“It’s okay, it has been a long time anyway.”

“I thought you worked on a Hong Kong multinational company.”

“That’s right, I’m still working there. I only have my shift on the weekend, like today. Yonghwa helps me to manage this place on the weekdays.”

Seohyun almost spilled her drink from hearing his name. She slowly put her cup and cleared .

“Yonghwa-ssi.. How is he now?” she carefully asked while playing with her finger.

Choa let out a little laughed before answered her question, “I thought you called him Oppa, as I remembered. I must be mistaken. Yonghwa Oppa is fine. He is doing great now.”

“Oh, I see.”

They stayed in silence for a moment before suddenly Seohyun spoke up.

“Unnie, congratulation on your wedding. Sorry I didn’t come that time. But I sincerely wish both of you will love each other forever and live happily ever after.”

“Thank you so much for your beautiful wishes. But I think I can not fulfill it,” she smiled calmly at her.

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“Seohyun-ssi, can I ask you one question?”

“Ss-sure,” she waited to her question nervously.

“Do you still love him?”

“Unnie..”

“Please answer it, Seohyun-ssi.”

“Unnie, I.. I.. To be honest, maybe I’m still not over him. But it’s only a little. And I promise you, I will not disturb him with my feeling. I will try my best to forget him. Just give me a little more time. I’m sorry, Unnie,” she hang her head low and avoided to see Choa face.

But then, she heard Choa sighed and said, “That’s a relief.”

So, she lifted her head and look at Choa confusedly.

***

Seohyun ran out from the restaurant as fast as she could and halt the first taxi she saw.

“To the ‘P’ apartment, please. Hurry,” she quickly urged the driver.

She rang the bell repeatedly when she finally arrived in front of Yonghwa’s apartment door. To her disappointment, no one answered it.

‘Ugh, where did he go actually?’ she mumbled.

Then she ran fast again to the first floor of the apartment and asked his whereabouts to the security there. Still, no information.

A few hours later, Seohyun sat down on one of those benches in front of the convenience store near their high school. She drank a bottle of mineral water in one go and wiped the sweat on her forehead.

She felt so tired after running around to find him. She had searched almost everywhere; his apartment, his office, the beach, then back to Choa restaurant, and lastly, their high school. She also had tried to contact his phone several times, but to no avail.

‘Where are you, Oppa?’ she run her fingers through hair in desperation.

But suddenly, someone place a bouquet of mini-sunflowers in front of her and greeted her in a familiar sentence.

“Beautiful flower for beautiful girl.”


Author's note:

If she waits for him, if she keeps longing for him, will he come back to her? 

Okay, here is the last puzzle of this story.

Sorry if I broke my promise, this is not my last chapter. Let’s hope I can conclude it on the next chapter.

Thank you so much for all of my readers, subscribers, upvoters, and everyone who dropped their comments on this story. It is my pleasure to read your opinions and ideas for this story. It helps me a lot.

Special thanks for Davichi, who gave me many inspirations with their great songs.

Would you like to guess the inspiration songs? ^^

Enjoy the story and see you on my next update.

- minikittybdg -