Chapter 9

Thermogenesis (INDEFINITE HIATUS)

A/N: This chapter contains description of . I tried not to be too graphic but I suggest caution if you are sensitive to that kind of material.

---

~ Chanyeol's POV

 

”Chanyeol, your phone”, Yifan says loudly from across the room. I get up from the bed where I was talking to Joonmyun and walk over to my bag and dig out my cellphone. My eyes widen at the name flashing on the screen and I pick up hastily. ”Baekhyun?” I ask in horror and hold my breath.

I can hear soft sobs. ”Baekhyun what's wrong? Talk to me, please”, I ask with worry in my voice. I turn around to see Yifan's and Joonmyun's eyes glued to me. A few louder sobs and Baekhyun's weak voice answers:

”Help me. Chanyeol help me.”

Long beeps indicate that the call is over. Baekhyun hung up. ” ...” I mutter to myself as I quickly dial the number again and bring the phone up to my ear. It rings. ”Baekhyun... Answer me, dammit”, I groan and look around with panic settling in my chest. I just got him back yesterday evening, if something's wrong... Baekhyun doesn't answer the phone. ”Guys I need to go. Right ing now”, I say quickly and shove the phone in my pocket. Joonmyun gets up. ”It's okay, go make sure he's okay”, he says with a kind smile. ”I could kiss you but I need to hurry”, I say quickly and run out the door as soon as I get my clothes on.

My car has never felt slower, or possibly it's because I can't think straight in my state of panic. There's a lot of traffic and all the cars seem to be keen on stopping me from getting home. My heart starts pounding harder as I try to reach Baekhyun again and again, without result. My mind starts racing and making up horror stories from what might have happened to him.

When I finally get out of the huge crowd of cars, I speed up way past the speed limits. By the time I finally pull over at the house and jump out of the car, adrenaline is forcing my feet to run and my heart feels like it's either stopped completely or beating so quickly I can't feel it anymore. I burst inside and scream out Baekhyun's name. I hear a vague groan from the bathroom, and run to the door only to find it locked.

”Baekhyun, step back!” I shout out, praying that he could still hear me. I step back and aim a sharp kick to the lock, pushing the door out of my way and rushing inside.

Nothing my mind thought of could compare to what was now reality and right in front of me. I can almost feel my heart flatlining, and my head starting to dig up things I want to forget.

Baekhyun's unclothed body lying in the bathtub seems so pale and fragile, like it's made of porcelain. His bones stick up from his chest, and he's breathing seems difficult. There's blood dripping across his arms and torso. His own blood.

”Baekhyun!” my voice cracks when I kneel down next to the tub and wrap my arms around him to get him to sit up. My eyes fill with tears of horror, maybe sadness, maybe pity, when I see blood pouring out from his wrists and inner forearms. The cuts aren't made with a knife or a blade – they're surrounded with burn scars. I stop thinking about the cause of the wounds when I turn to look at Baekhyun's face. His eyes are closed, his parted lips are going blue and letting out small whimpers and groans. He's barely breathing anymore.

My heart starts racing, my mind shoves the memories back into my head, painting more horrifying images into my skull. ”No... Baekhyun, don't worry, you'll be okay”, I whisper and look around quickly. The cellphone is lying on the floor near Baekhyun's hand and I grab it with shaking hands, tears quickly pushing out from my eyes and dripping down my cheeks. ”Don't worry... You'll be okay”, I whisper again and look at his bleeding wrists. He's not going to make it, my mind shouts at me and I tell it to shut the up. He's going to live. I'm not going to let him die, not like this.

”What's your emergency?” a woman's voice asks me. I may be talking, but my mind isn't thinking about what I'm saying. The right words flow out with ease, and my mind focuses on Baekhyun.

He opens his eyes slightly and looks at me. More tears rise up to my eyes. ”Yeol”, he whispers and his eyes close again. His chest is barely rising anymore. My own throat feels like it's being shut off, so the last few words I say to the emergency lady are almost just cries. I can hear the female voice from the phone. ”You may end the call, sir...” I end the call and toss the cellphone away, grabbing two towels from the counters next to me. My vision is blurry when I press them against his cuts, holding Baekhyun up with one hand. ”Please... Baekhyun... Don't worry, you'll be okay. I promise, I won't let you leave this way”, I whisper and look at his eyes. He's crying. You can't save him just like you couldn't save her, my mind shouts again. ”Shut up!” I scream out loud and close my eyes, removing my other hand from the towels to hold Baekhyun with both. I bury my face in Baekhyun's neck. ”You're going to survive. You're not dying”, I whisper. I can still feel a weak pulse on his neck, beating gently against my lower lip. ”Don't leave me”, I whisper. ”You too. You can't leave me like this. I couldn't handle it the first time. I can't do it now”, I whisper and look at Baekhyun's closed eyes. I don't want to let go.

I lose track of time but it couldn't have been more than a few minutes when I can hear people walking in, pulling me away from Baekhyun's body. I feel mentally exhausted, but I manage to get up on my feet. A wall of medics in bright suits has surrounded Baekhyun. I whisper his name again when someone lays their hand on my back and leads me out of the room. ”He's not dead, right? He's going to be okay”, I whisper as we walk to the living room and sit down on the couch. My eyes are still filled with tears when the medic next to me remains quiet.

They let me come with Baekhyun to the hospital. Words refuse to leave my vocal cords anymore, answering questions works with nodding or shaking my head. Everything around me is a blur, Baekhyun is lying lifeless with an oxygen mask covering his nose and mouth and needles attached to his skin that seems way too similar to the linen underneath.

The hospital room where they put him to is all white and light-teal. I'm sitting on a small chair next to a window. The wounds on his wrists, the ones he apparently scratched open, are now stitched and bound up. Surrounded in the whiteness and cold light, his arms look even thinner. I graze over the back of his hand and flinch at how cold he is. ”Baekhyun. I need to go back to work. But please stay here for me. Don't leave me. I couldn't save her but at this point, if I lose you... I'm sorry. I'll be back. Don't leave me”, I whisper and get up on my feet. I place a soft kiss on his forehead, wipe a stray strand of hair away from his face and leave the room with one more look back. I don't want to leave him. I shake my head and after a moment, I end up leaving anyway with quick steps, wiping away dry tears from my eyes.

 

~ Baekhyun's POV

I stand in front of Taeyeon's desk, shifting my weight from one foot to the other nervously. She's browsing papers by the bookshelf behind the desk, facing away from me. I take a deep breath when I can hear her zipping down her leather jacket. She turns around and looks me in the eyes. I'm not allowed to look away until she tells me to. ”Baekkie. I've really missed you”, she says calmly and walks up to me. I bite my lower lip when she lays her hands on my shoulders. ”It's good to see you. Alive and well”, she whispers and starts to take off my jacket. It falls on the floor with a small thump. She looks back into my eyes and smiles. I hate her smile. I hate her eyes. I hate everything about her. She places one hand underneath my shirt and frowns. ”You've been eating a lot. That Chanyeol guy must feed you well”, she whispers and removes her hand. I gulp when she walks away, back to the bookshelf, and starts digging around one of the drawers.

She turns around and smiles, dangling the handcuffs in her index finger. ”You're probably a little stronger than I've used to, so... I need to make sure there are no accidents”, she says quietly and walks back to me after setting the cuffs on the desk for now. Sweat is rising to my forehead, and that doesn't go unnoticed by Taeyeon. ”Are you hot? My my, well then I guess you need to take off your shirt”, she says with a smirk and tugs my loose top up with ease. She squeezes my wrists, and I whimper when the scars get sore. ”Quiet”, she hisses and grabs the cuffs again. Now that I'm shirtless, she drags me across the room behind her desk and pushes me to lie down on my stomach on the huge piece of furniture. She forces my hands behind my back and cuffs them with practiced ease. She turns me over again and lays her hands on the hem of my pants before leaning down to kiss me on the lips. I close my eyes tightly and try to ignore her roaming hands. Her hands slip underneath the hem and start pulling down. I sob a little and she places her lips on mine for a moment. ”Hush, toy. I don't want anyone to know”, she whispers against my lips and smirks a little. Struggling against the cuffs would only result in more violence. I close my eyes tightly and try my best to ignore the hands feeling up my lower body. ”Open your eyes and look at me”, Taeyeon's commanding voice whispers and I open my eyes slightly to look at her smiling as she touches me. ”No”, I wail quietly and Taeyeon laughs softly. ”You say that every time. It doesn't work”, she whispers and lays small kisses along my skin. I sob again and bite my lip in an attempt not to make a sound. Tears fill my eyes and Taeyeon quickly wipes them away. ”You have to watch. Don't look away”, she mumbles with a low voice. I feel dirtier with every touch, more shattered with every command she says to me, weaker every time I obey her.

By the time she's finished, the blindfold she put on me is drenched in tears, the table is covered in a disgusting mix of bodily fluids and my wrists are bruised. She starts to remove the toys from my body, starting with the blindfold and moving down to remove the gag. ”Get up”, she whispers with a smile once every single toy is gone. I manage to push myself up to my feet. A towel comes in contact with my face as Taeyeon starts wiping away sweat and tears with an evil smirk. ”I'm glad you're okay”, she whispers and kisses my collarbone softly, biting my skin and making me whine again as she moves the towel lower. ”Now get dressed and leave. Don't talk to me, don't look at me, don't tell anyone”, she whispers into my ear, sending chills down my spine. I grab my clothes from the floor and get dressed as quickly as I can. Buttoning my jeans is difficult with shaking hands. As soon as I'm all covered up and no sign of ual assault is visible, I leave the room, making sure not to slam the door too hard. I lean against the wall when I start walking towards the staircase.

”Chanyeol!” my scream pierces the room as I snap awake and look around in the hospital room. I can barely see anything from between the nurses surrounding my bed. One of them is holding a syringe. ”No!” I scream loudly, I don't want to go back to sleep. Cold sweat has trickled on my forehead and my body is kicking the nurses in an attempt to get them to step the back because I'm not going back to sleep. A sharp pain in my forearm makes me flinch, and my vision turns darker and blurrier. This is not just tears anymore. ”No... Chanyeol”, I cry out and I can feel a soft piece of cloth wiping my face before everything goes black again.

 

~ Chanyeol's POV

 

It's 6pm when I get out of work. I immediately head back to the hospital, where the nurses tell me about Baekhyun having some sort of nightmare. I head to the room right away and smile a little when I see Baekhyun lying in bed, looking tired but still awake, facing the door. I walk across the cold room and Baekhyun's eyes light up when he sees me. His smile is weak, clearly not genuine, but it's enough. ”Hello Chanyeol”, he whispers. I lay my hand on the back of his and sigh quietly. It's not too cold anymore. ”You really really... Really scared me”, I mumble quietly and pet his hand gently. ”Are you hungry? I can get you something if you haven't eaten enough...” Baekhyun laughs a fake laugh but I'll ing take it, I'll take it and turn it real some day. ”I'm fine, they just gave me something food... Ish”, he says and grabs my hand softly. I smile and bring the hand up against my lips. His pale skin is still so tight I can see blue veins in the back of his hand. We need to fix that.

Silence falls between us.

”So what are they?” I ask with a soft voice. Our smiles fade away when I lay my other hand on the bandages on Baekhuyn's wrists. The air around him seems to go cold and sad, pushing away all the happiness. ”Burn scars”, he says quietly and I take a deep breath. ”But why are they there? Did you... Did you do these on purpose?” I ask and our eyes meet.

”I'm sorry”, he whispers and a shiny coat of tears appears in his eyes. I immediately place my hand on his cheek. ”Don't be sorry. I just... Why?” I ask and scoot a little closer to the bed. Baekhyun shakes his head, and I understand to drop the subject. ”I'd be really glad if you could stop... Burning yourself”, I whisper and look Baekhyun in the eyes again. ”When you feel like burning your skin, please come to me instead. And we'll make another puzzle or we'll watch a movie or we'll have some tea”, I say and smile a little. He smiles too, and I press a soft kiss on the tip of his nose. Is my mind playing tricks or is he blushing? ”Thanks Chanyeol. I'd like that”, he whispers. We just stay there for a minute, holding hands and thinking.

”The nurses told me you had a nightmare”, I speak up again. Baekhyun nods and his smile is gone again. ”It's the same nightmare as the one I had before... I ended up here. It's nothing”, he says. He clearly doesn't want to talk about this, but I have to know. I don't want this to happen again. ”It clearly isn't just nothing if it made you damage yourself in a way that almost got you killed”, I say slowly and look him in the eyes. He bites his lip and looks away. ”I'll tell you. Later. Right now, I'd rather not talk about it”, he says quietly and I nod. ”It's okay. Don't worry. I'm not mad, I'm just worried”, I say with a smile and lay my hand on his chin, turning his look back to me. ”Hey. It's okay”, I assure him and slide my hand softly into his hair, gently massaging his scalp. He closes his eyes and leans into my hand. The corners of his mouth tug upwards, this time almost into a genuine smile. He falls asleep slowly, it must've been an exhausting day. And right now I don't want to leave him alone.

---

A/N: Wow there's a lot of whispering and crying. Anyways sorry this chapter is only Baekhyun and Chanyeol, I'll try to get more Sekai into the next chapter~