Chapter 1

Thermogenesis (INDEFINITE HIATUS)

A/N: So you started reading, then? Well, this the first chapter! Not that much happens here, this is mainly character introductions and getting to know them.

---

~ Baekhyun's POV

I flinch awake, and all I see is the oh-so familiar near full darkness that waits for me every morning. The only source of light is the dim moonlight peeking from the windows near the ceiling. There are no clocks here, after all, this is an old, almost broken apart building, that hasn't been used for anything but shelter for ages. It used to be a factory, I think. There's still one or two weird machines lying around, but they don't work. My eyes get accustomed to the dark fairly quickly, and I can slowly see the building's nearly nonexistent furniture. On the floor, on dirty mattresses and blankets, I see my roommates - about two dozens of them. On my left side is an actual room, apart from the big factory hall, and I know there's a bed in there. But only our beloved savior is allowed there. .

A small touch on my right arm jerks me up, and I look at the boy next to me in horror. It's just Sehun. He looks so peaceful in his sleep. I rub my eyes slightly and nudge Sehun's shoulder. His eyes don't even open, he just grunts silently. "Sehun?" I whisper and nudge him again. I can see one of his eyes peek open a little. ”Baekhyun”, he mumbles back to me. I can barely hear him. "Wake Jongin up. We need to go", I mumble and get up. I grab the jacket that I had been using as a blanket and pull it on.

From the corner of my eye I can see Jongin slowly getting up while still squeezing the small dog plush he got from Sehun. Sehun has so many pretty, random things - he's kleptomanic. And a damn good thief. Jongin on the other hand is a sadist. But a selective one. He could never beat up Sehun or me. When he's alone with us, he's pretty much just an adorable little boy with the mindset of an elementary school kid.

I tap the pockets of my jacket to make sure I still have it. Jongin and Sehun get up slowly, complaining with hushed voices. They should've gotten used to this in the last... What, ten years? Something like that. "Sehun? The time?" I ask with a whisper. Sehun looks at the cheap clock he stole a couple of days ago. "It's almost four", he mumbles and get's up on his feet. We glance at Jongin, who is already back down on the mattress and asleep. I huff silently and kick his stomach gently. "We have to go. Hurry", I complain and he looks at me like I'm a ruthless puppy abuser, but eventually gets up. We sneak silently past the crowds of DIY-beds, to the large double doors of the building. Jongin glances outside and opens the door after making sure there are no cops around.

This building has been around for a long time. It was abandoned many years before I arrived here, but no one has ever done anything to it. It hasn't been demolished, investigated, anything. Taeyeon's mother, who is already dead, turned it into a safe house for criminals, and now Taeyeon herself runs the place. She protects it from cops and, well, nosy people. She has a small office on the 2nd floor. And the room downstairs with the bed? That's her bedroom. And everyone else just sleeps on the concrete floor, but they're safe, and to bastards like us, that's enough. This way Taeyeon has a huge leverage on a bunch of ed up people who don't want to get therapy or go to jail.

I arrived here about ten years ago. I was... 13? 14? And as soon as I arrived, Taeyeon knew. I was different. Jongin and Sehun, they're beneficial. Jongin brings money, Sehun brings random items that they can use. But me? I have no benefit to Taeyeon or the safe house. I don't steal anything. I don't provide anything to the team. Everyone living in the building brings something in. Some people bring drugs, others just money, knives, bedding... But what about me?

My thoughts are cut short when a truck drives by. I cough and stop walking for a moment. I can feel Sehun and Jongin looking at me with worry, that's just who they are. I keep walking quickly and take a deep breath. I look around, at the narrow buildings around us. None of them are what I'm looking for. They're almost entirely brick, that's not going to work. Suddenly I stop at a small building of some sort. It looks empty. The windows and the front door are sealed with planks. "Jongin? Help me out", I mumble and look at my friends. They look at the building with confusion. "This is the one you're going with?" Sehun speaks up and peeks inside from between the planks. "I think this was a bar", he mumbles. Jongin looks up. "There's no sign though", he murmurs. "For f... Jongin, do you think that maybe they took the sign down when they ing moved out?" Sehun asks and looks at Jongin with a judgmental look. "Yeah yeah, Jongin, just hurry up and bust us in", I shout and both of them look at me. Slowly, Jongin walks to the door and kicks the lock furiously. A small crack. He kicks it again, and it breaks a little more. Jongin pushes it once more with his shoulder and it busts open. He steps aside and let's me go in. The floor is made of dark wood, the same wood the walls are lined with.

"Hey Baekhyun, we'll be by the corner store, Sehun wants a lollipop", Jongin informs me. Without even looking at them, I can hear their steps getting further and further away. I take a deep breath and take a moment to investigate the flooring. I can see the bar counter in the back, and I walk over. And what do you know, someone has forgotten an old newspaper here. There are old liquor bottles on the counter and on the shelves behind it. This should do just fine.

 

~ Sehun's POV

 

I sneak three lollipops into my jacket's inner pocket while the cashier isn't looking. Jongin is chatting up the young man while pretending to look at magazines. I take a few chocolate bars into the other pocket, and Jongin looks at me. "Is it there?" I shake my head. "I'm sorry. My favorite chocolate is just so difficult to find", I exclaim and try to look a little disappointed. "Thanks anyway", Jongin thanks the cashier, who nods and smiles. I walk to the door first, and I hear a beeping sound. I quickly look up at the cashier, who's now looking at us with big eyes. "Hey!" he shouts out and gets down from behind the tiny counter. Jongin, who stood behind me, hurls his fist to the cashier's face. Taking advantage of the moment of confusion, Jongin grabs the cashier's shirt collar and drags him out to the street, and quickly walks down the narrow alleyway. I step next to the mailbox and take out one of the lollipops. I can hear screams and punches from the alleyway, as Jongin probably beats the guy unrecognizable. The screams go silent, and after a few seconds of Jongin stealing the money from his pockets he sneaks back into the store and breaks the alarms. I walk back inside and go to the cash register, which breaks pretty easily when Jongin punches that, too. I stuff all the money inside my pockets while still on the apple lollipop. We turn the lights off and leave.

"What did you do to him?" I ask and look at Jongin, who seems very satisfied. "Just the usual. Hopefully he'll forget us, at least that's what I was aiming for", he mumbles silently and we rest against the wall next to the mailbox. There are no people around at this time in the morning, but we can see a soft glow coming down the street. I smile a little. "You know Taemin?" I ask and look at Jongin. He shakes his head. "Oh you dirty liar. I saw you two ing in the alley. You know, the kid with the long hair and a cute lil' ?" I say with a smile and I can see Jongin's face go red. "Yeah, like you've never ed a boy you should be robbing? I saw the one with the baby face. What was his name... Han? Luhan?" Jongin says and now I blush a little. "Forget it", I mumble and look at Jongin, who smirks. I sigh. "We should get Baekhyun a or something. He's acting like he has an unremovable stick up his ", I mumble and cross my legs. "Or we could him?" Jongin suggests. A few moments go by in silence and we both shake our heads. "Oh well", Jongin sighs and takes one of the lollipops I offer him.

 

~ Baekhyun's POV

 

The flames are growing around the bar counter. I'm standing close, and I reach my hand out to the flames. They crackle softly and I can feel sweat on my skin. I smile widely. The fire is slowly up the floor, the floors, the staircase to the second floor. I take a deep breath - my lungs are probably already used to me breathing in all these toxic gases. Even though it leaves my voice hoarse and my throat sore, there are only some things I could ever enjoy more than the smell of smoke. I can see the upstairs floor falling apart on top of the counter, and decide that it's time to leave.

I sneak behind the corner of the alley, so that I can see the bar, but other can't see me unless they know where to look. I smile a little at the building slowly being eaten away by the flames that are climbing higher and higher. The sweet sensation tinkles through my veins and my hands stop shaking.

I watch the flames the outside of the building. My body feels at peace, my head stops spinning. My thirst is quenched. I sit down and enjoy the sweet euphoric feeling. I look at the burning house with dreamy eyes. The pyromaniac inside of me is happy.

I sit there on the alleyway and watch the flaming building until I hear a siren squealing far away. I jump up and start walking towards the corner store, where Sehun and Jongin should be waiting. The fire trucks turn to the street the moment I step on the corner store's yard. "Okay, I'm done", I mumble. I'll probably have to burn something more in a couple of days, but that's a problem for the future. Sehun pulls out a lollipop and hands it to me. "When's the last time you ate?" he asks with concern. I shrug, but take the candy anyway. I rip open the wrapper and put the pineapple-tasting thing on my tongue. It starts to melt slowly. "We should get going", Jongin says and starts walking away. Sehun walks beside him, I walk right behind them. The cold air bites into my skin through the jacket, but right now I couldn't care about that. The image of the burning bar is fresh in my head, and it makes me calm. Collected. Sane.

 

~ Chanyeol's POV

 

After the fire is confirmed to be out, I take off my helmet and look at my colleague. "Was there anyone inside?" I ask Joonmyun, who steps out of the now charcoal-color building. He shakes his head. "I don't think so", he says as he removes his own helmet. I nod and look at the building with investigating eyes. Slowly, we all get back on the truck. Yifan jumps behind the wheel, I sit next to him. I look outside, past Yifan, at the burnt down building. "Chanyeol?" Yifan asks with a deep voice, and I flinch. "You seem kinda blue", he says and starts the engine. "A-ah, I'm fine", I quickly say and smile a little. "The police is going to take over from here. There was no reason that place should've caught on fire", Yifan mumbles. I nod again.

"I'm hungry", I complain and lay my head back against the headrest. "Are you serious? We had breakfast like an hour ago!" Yifan exclaims and looks at me with disbelief. "Well I'm tall and my body needs a lot of energy or whatever", I mumble and look around. "Hey! A store!" I say excitedly and point at a small corner store. Yifan glances at it and shakes his head. "Yeol, I'm not stopping. And the lights were out, I don't think they were even open", he says and keeps driving. I pout and look at the road.

Yifan's cellphone rings and he picks up (I look at him with a sarcastic shock on my face for answering a call while driving) and exchanges a few words in Chinese. I look outside and sigh. Yifan hangs up and looks around. He turns around around a block, and I look at him with confusion. "The corner store you noticed was robbed, and they found the owner in the alley", he says, and I can see a spark in his eyes. Yifan has a thing for crime, which is why he should've been a police and also why he's actually dating one, his name is Zitao or something like that. He turns around a block. "Yeah, and now you're willing to turn around!" I complain and Yifan just scoffs. "I'm the driver here", he says and stops the truck by the store. "You can get back to the station", he says and jumps out, not letting me say anything against the idea. I get out, too, and take a quick look at the man sitting on the ground, and Zitao squatting in front of him. Yifan takes a tad bit obvious glance at his , and that's my que to roll my eyes and leave the scene. I jump behind the wheel and drive off.

 

---

 

A/N: I feel so nervous posting this... I hope you enjoyed it.

It might take a while before I post a new chapter, I mean the writing and the fixing and the proof-reading and the thinking... This fic is nowhere near finished yet, let's just hope it doesn't go into disaster.