Chapter 12

Thermogenesis (INDEFINITE HIATUS)

~ Baekhyun's POV

 

It's getting dark outside, I notice a couple of hours after Chanyeol left for work. I run my fingers through my hair and pull down the huge, white sweater that I borrowed from Chanyeol. My other hand is holding a warm cup of tea that will hopefully refresh me after a quick nap I just woke up from. I walk to Chanyeol's bedroom and sit down behind the computer. He has taken tons of photos of us, and I want to see what they look like.

Chanyeol's computer is well organized, unlike almost every other aspect of his life. There are tons of folders, all named appropriately according to their contents. After finding the Pictures-folder, I open two more under that to find the folder ”Baekhyun”. It opens up and surprisingly, there are all the pictures he's taken. I open the first one and start scrolling, through that sunny morning in the kitchen all the way to yesterday morning, when I had woke up to see Chanyeol looking at me. He whispered me not to move and reached for the camera to take a picture of me, all messy hair and eyes barely open. I smile a little at the memory and sigh when I close the folder. I take a quick look at the other ones.

”Buildings.”

I say the word out loud and raise an eyebrow. Chanyeol is a fireman, I ponder as I click the folder open, what does he have to do with...

My mind stops for a moment and then starts screaming at full volume when it realizes what I'm looking at.

The pictures are of buildings, indeed – all dark charcoal and ruins. This is what you did, my mind suddenly screams and I cover my ears. I close my eyes tightly. It's back. It's back and it's loud and I'm scared.

This is what you ing did, didn't you? You ruined buildings where people lived, you threw people to the streets and you left those buildings a worthless disaster, all for your own pleasure of seeing and feeling the fire that you love more than your friends or family. You're a pyromaniac, an arsonist, a criminal, crazy, and you should be locked up before you hurt anyone else.

”Shut up!” I scream out loud and get up from the chair. I run to the bathroom and lean on the edge of the sink, looking up to the mirror and whimpering softly when my hands start to shake. I roll up my sleeves and tear off the bandages, letting the wounds breathe. I run my fingers over the small bumps and scars and feel my eyes get blurry. ”Taeyeon”, I whisper a name and rip one of the cuts open. Small beads of blood

You let her do that to you. She you and abused you just like that, because you were too ing weak to do anything. And now you're probably scarred for life. No one will want to spend time with you, you'll be alone your entire life...

”Shut up!”

Burn something.

 

Looking up at the place I used to call home feels strange. The night has fallen and the thick cover of clouds blocks out even the moon and the stars. Street lamps cast cold light around the street, but they don't reach the front door. I look at my breath for a moment and squeeze the familiar lighter in my pocket – whether or not it's an enemy, I don't really know and I wouldn't care if I did.

I close the red canister and step over the line of gasoline to push the door open slowly and quietly, being careful not to wake up the whole room. About a dozen people, some familiar, some strangers, have thrown themselves over makeshift beds of mattresses and dirty blankets. Obviously, I'm not the one to judge, that's exactly where I used to lie. A small smirk rises on my lips as I pull the edges of my leather jacket closer. My old clothes are quite dirty, since I haven't really worn them that much after Chanyeol came along. He never should've. To think that I actually loved him...

I shake my head quickly and kick a random stranger on the shoulder gently to wake them up. When they first open their eyes, they look alarmed, but probably realize that I'm not a cop from my build and clothing. They calm down quickly and their face turns to express confusion.

”You need to get out. Don't ask me why, just get out”, I hiss and move on to the next pile of people.

I eventually find the last ones asleep - Sehun and Jongin, sleeping side by side in the same old spot. Their shoulders are pressed close together as usual, and Jongin sleeps slightly on his side to face Sehun. I kick the latter one's feet gently. ”Sehun. Wake up”, I hiss and take a deep breath that turns to steam in front of me. Sehun's left eye opens a little, and a second later his eyes shoot open and he gets up to sitting hastily. ”Baekhyun?” he croaks and Jongin wakes up sluggishly. His eyes are half closed and after pushing himself up he's barely sitting up, still leaning on his elbows. ”You two need to leave”, I whisper and lift the canister up for them to see. Jongin's eyes widen a little more now. ”Baekhyun you can't”, he immediately says and jumps up to try and grab the red container from me. I tug it back, away from his reach and look at the both of them with commanding eyes. ”Get out. I don't want to burn you too but I swear I will”, I growl at them and Sehun especially looks slightly nervous now.

See, even they are afraid of you. The ones that have taken care of you for so long turn away in fear. Who else can you trust anymore aside from yourself?

”Out!” I bark and Jongin drags Sehun up and starts to pull him away, towards the door. Sehun's face never turns away from me until they're both outside. I look down at the beds and kneel down to the hole in the wall. I pull out two items before opening up the canister again.

 

After there's a small line of gasoline surrounding the first floor, I head to the staircase. I take off my shoes to sneak around quietly. Placing the canister's mouth close to the floor, I manage to create a line that covers the front of Taeyeon's office, including the doorway. A bit of shuffling inside makes my body freeze. I get up slowly and take a deep breath. The thick stench of gasoline is mixing in with the natural smell of mold and the dust in the building. It burns my throat in a way I didn't realize I missed. I give my lighter one more squeeze before knocking on the door three times and swallowing a rock in my throat.

The door opens up, and there she is. Taeyeon's long hair falls down her chest, covering most of her leather jacket. She leans to the edge of the doorway and crosses her ankles, showing off the short skirt and fishnets ending in a pair of long boots. is twisted into a crooked smirk, and her eyes are calm and powerful. I look straight into them without fear, for the first time in a long time.

”Crawling back, are we?” she says softly and walks back into the room, leaving the door open. I step inside not bothering to close it. Taeyeon walks behind her desk and sits down, laying her feet on top of the piece of dark wood furniture. My heart is beating fast, my blood is rushing and my breaths are deep and slow. ”What did Chanyeol do? Did he throw you out? Did he see how worthless and ruined you are?” Taeyeon asks calmly and stands up to walk to me. I remain silent and look at her eyes. ”You know how dear you are to me. I'm afraid I might be the only one who values you”, she whispers and cups my face to plant a kiss on my lips. It's cold, way too harsh and filled with lust. I look away, breaking the kiss. I push Taeyeon away with my other hand, and to my surprise, she actually backs away a few steps. I take a very deep breath before opening my mouth.

”You don't value me. You treat me like a toy. Replaceable, cheap. If I break, you'd rather throw me away than try to fix me”, I mumble and look at Taeyeon, who seems surprised and curious. She lets out a small laugh. ”Oh yeah? And what does he think of you? Anything better?” she asks and walks back up to me, grasping my collar and shoving me up against the wall next to the door. My breath quickens.

”Your little Chanyeol doesn't value you either. I mean, where is he now? Does he even know where his little pet has ran off to? Or did he really throw you out of his house because you're a freak and... Well, it takes one to know one. You're a freak. And he couldn't handle it”, she growls and presses her face gently against my exposed neck. ”I'm the only one who'll ever love you”, she whispers and kisses my neck.

”You... Have no right... To talk about Chanyeol that way”, I hiss. ”I love him.”

Everything seems to come together so easily. Like my body has been preparing for this moment for so long. It all goes down within seconds: I push Taeyeon away, she stumbles back, I rush out the door, into the hallway and dig out my lighter, taking one last look at her face filled with horror of realizing what I'm about to do. Without a single word, I slam the door shut and hear the lock being activated, click the lighter on and kneel down to set the flame to the line of gasoline.

A wall of fire bursts between us, climbing up the walls and blocking the doorway, and makes me scurry back a few meters. The old wooden structures start to fall down immediately, blocking the doorway to Taeyeon's room. Through the explosive sound of flames starting to rage and the building falling apart, I can hear Taeyeon's screams. A smile rises to my lips.

”It's over. I've won”, I whisper to nothing and run to the stairs. Before I can make it to the top, my shaking legs give way and I fall to the floor on all fours.

I close my eyes and smile a little, taking a deep breath of the suffocating smoke. The burning sensation fills my lungs and sweat rises to my skin, and I allow myself to fall over to my side as the flames surround my body.

”I won”, I whisper when Taeyeon's screams turn to coughs and start to fade out. I close my eyes.

 

~ Jongin's POV

Sehun and I are still in the yard of the building when it happens.

One moment we're making sure everyone around us is well clothed and warm, telling them to find another safe place for this night, the next we're looking at fierce flames the outside of the building, fire pushing out from broken windows. Sehun and I take a panicked look around – surely Baekhyun should've gotten outside before he...

I'm the first one to open my mouth.

”Baekhyun!”

I rush to the door, but it's way too hot to even approach, not to mention touching or opening it. I try to see through the enormous walls of flame, but if the fire itself doesn't make that hard enough, the thick smoke filling the space inside definitely does.

”Baekhyun!” I scream out again and see Sehun from the corner of my eye. I turn around and pull him away. ”We need to stay back, the place might collapse at any moment”, I say quickly and look up at the building, hoping to everything I know on this planet that the fire alarms still work in that goddamned hell on earth.

Sehun has already taken off to hide when the fire department arrives after the longest minutes of my life. Two trucks park hastily in front of the building. I jump at the sound of the building behind me collapsing, and I quickly step even more back from the flaming frame. I turn to look at the firemen, but one of them brings back a memory.

Baekhyun has a black eye, he's crying. Someone hit him. The hit was for me.

”Chanyeol!” the name pops into my head and said man turns around. His eyes widen but he turns around quickly – obviously he's a little busy with his work right now, as they prepare everything. I run to him in six long leaps and shout out furiously: ”Baekhyun! He's in there you idiot!” I point at the building and Chanyeol finally looks at me. I can see his eyes widen to unnatural measurements even from behind the mask, and his lips crack open. ”I'm not ing around right now, he's my friend too and you need to ing do something because he's going to...”

I can't finish the sentence because Chanyeol has already sprinted to the door surrounded by flames. His coworker follows, but is blocked at the door when it collapses right between them. There are people shouting, my head hurts and my mouth is dry. The flames beside me roar furiously and my entire body is shaking even in the cold night. Baekhyun is not going to make it. Chanyeol is too late. I shake my head and run away after Sehun – I need to save the only friend that I have left.

---

A/N: I'm so sorry that I haven't posted in a while and even this is so short I can't... I've been busy with school and anytime I had time to write I ended up deleting it because it was too ty even for me. So enjoy this short little chapter while I desperately try to study so I can get some better grades. :'D

+ Also I have a lot of new readers, holy damn! I love you all ♥