Surprise

Scary Noona

Third time’s the charm. I rolled my eyes as I dragged my luggage towards the train station. It doesn’t help that I’m getting stares from everyone I walk by, looking like a teenage runaway, which isn’t exactly entirely wrong on their part. The frustrating thing about it all is that I have to make my way to Seoul, staying here was not an option at this point. They’d know where I’d be staying, find me and take me home before I was on my way again with my already pre-packed bag, being a pain in the to another friend while overstaying my welcome at their home. Their parents pretending to be okay with me being there before I get on their nerves and get snitched on, only to have my parents drag me back.

I was done with parents, especially my own. Always being too busy to even care to ask about me or how I’m doing but not busy enough to start the same old argument again and again. I was sick of this . I had to leave and this time, they won’t be able to find me. I’ve never gone this far before and I’m not going to lie, I’m excited. I needed to find a place with no parents, a place I was headed to now. I’m surprised I didn’t think of this sooner, it was the perfect plan.

My phone vibrates in my hand and mother flashes on the screen. I reject the call as I hear the train making its way. My phone vibrates a second time, this time Jae flashes on the screen. I hesitate for a moment before answering it.

“What is it?” I ask with a sigh, the train finally making a stop. The doors open and I walk in, finding a seat by the window. It was going to be a long ride after all.

“Where are you? Don’t tell me you’re running away again.” I can practically hear his eyes rolling as he says this.

“Nowhere you need to know. Just know that I’ll be safe and I’ll tell our friend you say hi.”

“Our friend? What do you mean? Are you leaving Busan?!” his voice raises, I roll my eyes. “Don’t worry! I need to get the hell out of here. If my parents ask you, which they will, you will tell them my phone is off. I’ll be going now. I’ll try to keep you updated.”

“Wait, what friend? Do not hang up o-“ you had already hung up, turning your phone off altogether. You leaned against the seat, making yourself comfortable. The train was finally leaving the station. You looked out the window and smiled. Goodbye Busan. I will not miss you.


You were awoken from your nap by the loud announcement reminding everyone that you would soon be arriving in Seoul. You were wide awake after that, bouncing in your seat. You looked out the window, the lights of the city streaking by as the train zoomed past.

You were nervous. Your plan was to just show up at this person’s door as a surprise and who even knew if they’d take you in. It was risky but knowing this person, they wouldn’t be able to say no to you. It was the perfect plan. A year had passed since you last seen or spoke to this person, but if ever in case of emergency, like right now for example, you knew he wouldn’t leave you out on the streets. If he did, you’d just kick his anyway. He knew that too.

Finally arriving in Seoul, you stepped off the train, happy to be back on your feet again, your numb from sitting throughout the whole ride there. You turned your phone back on to check the time, 9:28 pm it read. Hailing a cab, you stepped in, telling the driver the address, your heart starting to race abnormally fast, all of a sudden feeling extremely nervous about this surprise. “He better be home,” you muttered under your breath, sighing. You leaned back in your seat, letting yourself enjoy the view the window had to offer. The city was beautiful, especially at night. It felt right being here.

You asked the driver to drop you off 5 minutes away to calm your nerves and have a smoke. As you lit up a cigarette, you dragged your luggage up the familiar hill. You were starting to sweat, not from the slight exercise the hill gave you but from nerves. “I’m going to throw up. , , . Why did I ever think this would work?” you freaked out, pausing in front of the building’s door. You thought of every possible situation on how this could not work at all.

What if he moved? What if he doesn’t want to see me? We haven’t talked in a year. What if I can’t even stay? I’m being inconsiderate for just barging in like this. What if, what if, what if…

You stepped onto your finished cigarette and took a deep breath. “Screw it. What do I really have to lose?” you shrugged, marching up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. You wanted to drag this out for as long as possible. When you finally made it to the door, your breath heavy from the flight of stairs and the struggle of dragging your luggage up them, you pressed your ear against it to hear if anyone was home. You could hear voices and music. Taking another deep breath, you knocked.

“Can you get that?” you heard from the other side, the walls clearly paper thin.

“I’m busy! You get it!”

“And you don’t think I’m busy?”

“Maknae!” both voices yelled in unison. You rolled your eyes, tapping your foot impatiently.

“You called, hyung?” a higher pitched voice asked.

“Get the door, will you?” You heard a groan follow, feet shuffling and before you knew it, the door was flung open before you could even take another breath to calm the hell down.

“Long time no see,” you leaned against your luggage, smirking.