Chapter 01

When The Sun Falls

 

She splashes well water on her face and let's out a brisk gasp at the coldness, feeling refreshed as she wipes her hands on her tunic. The girl picks up her basket of now washed clothes and moves to hang them up on the wire she has tied to the large oak tree that marks the end of her property. She hums a tune as she works, the one she sometimes hears the village children singing when engrossed in their play and laughter.


" The shepherd sat 'neath the tree one day,
and as the shadows grew more long
pulled out his pipe and began to play,
and sweet and merry was his song.

A country damsel from the town,
with basket made of woven straw
Came gathering rushes from the downs,
and boldly smiled when she him saw

The shepherd's pipe did gaily sound,
as tempting on her back she lay
And with his quivering note he found
how sweetly then this lass could play.. "

 

She can't help but smile at the words, imagining herself in the maiden's shoes and she feels her cheeks flush at the thought. Her two favorite things in the world; love and music. How she'd give anything to have both one day.

Her pondering is interrupted when she hears the unmistakable giggling of two young girls and she turns to see them, arms linked and practically skipping down the dirt path.

Yue and Luan. Her smile widens.

The two were practically sisters, and if it weren't for their differences in appearance, one would think they in fact were related by blood, though they both shared similar brown hair and sparkling amber eyes, which made things that much more confusing. It was easier to tell them apart with the fact that Yue's hair was much darker compared to her friend's, and tended to tie it away from her face, while Luan wore hers in its natural ringlets that complimented her slim frame.

Always laughing, always singing, always fooling about, and always together, they spread joy and mischief wherever they went, like little foxes. She loved the girls for that.

Luan throws her head back and laughs at something Yue had said before she stops and visibly tightens the grip on her arm.

"Snow White!" she beams and waves in her direction, "good morning!"

Yue follows her gaze and waves as well and the two bound over to her in a fit of giggles, arms still entwined. The maiden bends down a bit so she's level with them, a smile on her lips.

"Hello, girls,"

"How do you do?" they echo and execute a perfect curtsey in sync, earning a chuckle from her.

"You should hurry or you'll miss Miss Lee's bread at market," pipes up Yue, "she's almost out!" Her eyes are wide with concern, like her pastries are the most important things on the planet. True, Miss Lee's bread was very well known throughout the village as warm, filling, and delicious. She always ran out within hours of opening up her stand in the market square.

"Already done," she smiles, "I went earlier this morning. Probably while you were still asleep in bed, Yue," she adds playfully and touches the girl on the nose. Yue blushes and hides her face in the crook of Luan's neck.

"Typical of you, Snow White," Luan smirks and let's out a longing sigh, "so hardworking, so diligent, so loving, and so beautiful," she sighs again and cups Yue around the shoulders and closes her eyes, "my mother always says she wishes I could be more like you. How I wish the same,"

"Oh, stop," says the maiden and pushes her lightly in a teasing manner and Luan grins in response, "you're perfectly perfect the way you are. I'll have to talk to your mother about comparing you to others, it's not fair for you, after all. It would be such a bore if everyone was exactly the same as everybody else in this kingdom,"

"You forgot wise," comes the muffled voice of Yue and she lets out a shriek as she ducks out of the way from the maiden's hand.

The two girls are laughing again, dodging and weaving around her to try and get away when a figure coming over the crest of the hill stops them all.

"Oh," muses Luan and detangles herself from Yue, "is that-"

"Viscount Jongsuk," Yue finishes in an almost horrified whisper and immediately starts to fix her hair and clothes. Luan rolls her eyes.

"He's obviously not coming all this way to visit us, stupid," she hisses and tilts her head in the direction of the older girl now standing quite still.

"I'm still allowed to dream, am I not?" Yue snorts. She grabs her friend's hand and pulls her down the path in the opposite direction of the nobleman.

"We'll come back later, Snow White! Make sure you tell us all about the details!" she calls over her shoulder with a backwards glance and the two skip out of sight, joyful voices drifting from afar.

"Wait!" she calls, but it's too late.

"Snow White?" comes a smooth voice, low and tenor. She tenses up, her eyes squeezing shut before she forces a smile and turns to face the man at her back.

"Viscount Jongsuk," she says through somewhat clenched teeth, but he doesn't seem to notice, "too what do I owe the pleasure?"

The Viscount's brown eyes light up with a mischievous glare and he suddenly reaches for her, pressing a kiss to her hand.

"The pleasure is mine,"

She continues to smile somewhat awkwardly. She hated how the Viscount was always so forward with his affection, even when she tried her best to let him know she wasn't comfortable. But he was too thick-skulled to even pick up on those hints.

His lips continue to linger over her knuckles and she resists the urge to snatch it away. Instead, he takes her hand in both of his, rubbing small circles with his thumb on her skin.

"I was hoping we could talk alone. I have something very important to ask you,"

 

 

 

 He takes her to the meadow just outside the village. Sunlight dapples the grasses, butterflies floating about as the lazy buzzing of honeybees fill the summer air.

 

The Viscount swoops down to pluck a wildflower and moves in to tuck it into her hair with a confident smirk. She mutters a soft "thank you" and unconsciously clenches her hands. She had a feeling she knew where this was going.

 

"What is it you wanted to talk about?" she asks as he walks to the edge of the small pond and observes a flock of swans gracefully cutting through the water. He hums and clasps his hands behind his back.

 

"You know, we've known each other for quite a long time," he says after a while and it's scarcely heard if it weren't for the echo that the water provided. She swallows the sudden lump in .

 

"Indeed," she replies.

 

It was true, the two had made each other's acquaintance countless summers ago before her father had passed away. One would call it taboo for a man of such rank to have spent so much time with a peasant's family, especially when he would invite her down to the southern islands to vacation for the winter, though she had always politely declined, much to his displeasure.

 

He faces her now and runs a hand through auburn hair, sunkissed skin seeming to glow in the late afternoon light. He takes a step towards her and backs her up against the trunk of a willow tree.

 

"I've been in love with you for years, Snow White," he murmurs, "I want to make you mine," the Viscount laughs breathlessly and she can't tell if he's nervous or just being overconfident, "you'd make me the happiest man alive if you would do me the honor of becoming my wife,"

 

She maintains control of her neutral expression with a practiced manner, the words she had been dreading for years finally tumbling forth. For a few moments, there's absolute silence, save for the hush of the wind through the leaves above them.

 

"I'm very flattered by your offer, Viscount Jongsuk, but I'm afraid I must decline," the girl says slowly. A hint of disbelief flickers across his features.

 

"It's quite obscene to play with a man's heart," he chuckles, "if this is some kind of joke-"

 

"This isn't," she cuts in seriously and looks him square in the face. He shifts his weight and furrows his brows, his voice a whisper when he speaks.

 

"But my dear, why? I thought you felt the same way, I know you feel the connection between us," he cups her cheek and brings himself closer to no doubt to try and steal a kiss but she quickly leans away.

 

"I'm sorry for your misunderstanding, my Lord,"

 

He freezes at the use of his proper title, hands still cradling her face. He's so close that she could probably count his eyelashes and the freckles over the bridge of his nose. He was handsome, no doubt about that, but she had no interest in a man who relied on good looks and wealth to win love.

 

The Viscount releases her and his eyes search her face.

 

"I don't understand," he breathes, "I can take you away from this penniless village and give you a life in the castle," he gestures in the general direction of the legendary towers, which of course no one from the town have been fortunate enough to see, "I can give you gowns fit for a woman like you, I...I-I can make you happy,"

 

She removes the flower from her hair and glances down to study the vibrant blue petals. With a soft smile, she presses the flower into his palm and closes his fingers around it.

 

"Everyone's definition of true happiness is different, my Lord,"

 

The Viscount is silent with rejection as she heads back home, just as the swans take flight with a ruffle of white feathers.