Second First Time

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung’s a mixture of innocent schoolboy shy, with big doe eyes staring back at Jungkook, and drop-dead gorgeous  Adonis, carved out of stone by the gods, making Jungkook's brain stall, his words hiding from him. Jungkook’s mind is finding it difficult to consolidate the two very conflicting images of the man standing in front of him. He should speak; at the very least he should let Taehyung know he looks beautiful. The problem... the problem is that he’s having issues forming sentences. Hell, Jungkook’s having issues forming any thought at all. He’s just staring, glaring, not out of anger; no, out of shock—visual shock.

“I-is something wrong?” Taehyung’s eyes are wide and uncertain as he stands in front of Jungkook, Taehyung's teeth worrying his bottom lip.

Jungkook shakes his head; it’s all he can do because try as he might, he can’t get his mouth to work or his mind to process anything beyond the fact that Taehyung looks like he just stepped out of the pages of a high-class fashion magazine. The vision leaves Jungkook completely wrecked. He mumbles something which he knows is incoherent but hopes sounds like ‘you look amazing.’

It doesn’t.

Taehyung blinks in confusion, and Jungkook finds himself chuckling and thinks to himself how much he misses that look. He knows the look. Memories are strange creatures, awakened and brought to life like a fairy fluttering into the moonlight on the dreams of a child. The thought blasts Jungkook back to the past, one that he’s been struggling to remember. He’s drifting through space and time, pictures with missing pieces like an incomplete puzzle zipping across the movie screen in his mind.

When time finally stands still, he’s in the place he first saw Taehyung, and the memory is a bullet piercing through the depths of his medial temporal lobe and hitting the play button in the DVD player of his brain.

 

Jungkook hates clubs, but loves dancing; it’s a conundrum that he’s long since accepted. He’d turned down his best friend and roommate when the older boy initially asked him if he wanted to go out with their group of friends. He hadn’t felt like dealing with crowds of strange people crushing him. Turns out sitting home alone is boring as hell. The first thing he notices when he walks through the doors of the club is the music. It’s loud and pounding in Jungkook’s ears, drowning out everything else around him.

He spots Namjoon across the room; he waves at his friend who’s talking to someone. Jungkook can only see the back of the stranger’s head. He chuckles when Namjoon waves back at him with a big goofy smile on his face. He’s about to mouth something that he knows Namjoon won’t be able to see, something along the lines of, ‘you look like an uncoordinated Llama,’ but the words die on his lips when the stranger turns around.

Jungkook’s not easily caught off guard; his MO is portraying a cool exterior no matter how freaked out he is on the outside. However, his façade takes a vacation, leaving him utterly vulnerable to the man standing next to Namjoon. The stranger isn’t merely good-looking; he’s ethereal, like an angel who’s fallen from the sky. Jungkook tries to find the right words, but neither stunning nor breathtaking seem to describe what he sees before his eyes.

He’s turned into a statue, frozen in the middle of the floor, held in place by quizzical, soft brown eyes and a shy smile. Jungkook’s awakened from his comatose state when an unfamiliar voice apologizes for bumping into him.

“Nah, nah, not a problem,” he assures the stranger who has long passed him.

Time stands still, as though a scene in a movie. The lights are dim with romantic music playing in the background (in Jungkook’s mind), everyone else begins to slowly fade out of frame leaving just him and his earthbound angel in the room. He takes a shaky step in the man’s direction, his gaze never faltering, so hypnotized by the stranger. The closer he gets to his desired destination, the wilder and more erratic his heartbeat becomes, to the point that he worries he may fall into cardiac arrest before he meets his dream man.

He takes another step.

Then another step.

They are face to face.

His dream man smiles.

 

Someone clears their throat.

“Hey, you okay?” Taehyung’s worried tone breaks him from his dream state.

Looking up, his gaze falls on Taehyung’s warm brown eyes. and warmth like a perfect Summer’s day fills Jungkook. It’s the most peaceful he’s felt since waking up in a hospital room almost a month ago.

“Yeah, I’m good,” he responds, finally finding his voice.

He contemplates whether or not to tell Taehyung about the memory, but he decides against it, not wanting to raise the man's hopes.

“Y-you look incredible, Taehyung.” His voice cracks around the statement.

The smile he receives in reward is as bright as the sun, magnificent and illuminating all of Jungkook’s darkness. He captures the moment locking it in the treasure box of his heart, determined never to forget this look, this smile, or this moment in time.

“Uhm, thank you,” Taehyung answers shyly, barely there speckles of pink spread across the man’s cheeks and neck, and Jungkook fights the urge to reach out and caress Taehyung’s skin.

“I-I know part of the rules are that I remember on my own, and I promise I am doing things as you’ve requested. But, may I ask, and only answer if you want to, where did we go on our first date?” Jungkook prays he hasn't overstepped. Taehyung’s brows knit together thoughtfully, causing Jungkook to add quickly, “Again, you don’t have to answer but, an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter