celebration.

Crude Cut
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s rare for the new manager to have a good day. By good day, he means the occasional threats and scare tactics from anonymous fans. His eyes twinkled in amusement when he received another set of degrading messages in his SNS.

You no good son of a bi*ch! Scum of the earth! No one needs you. Better just k*ll yourself!

You psycho!

You think you’re all that just because you’re working with our oppas?! I’m gonna sew that mouth shut.

Die. The world will be a better place without you.

I can’t believe someone would waste their time hiring you-

He was amazed on how resourceful these people are. Maru cannot imagine how much time and effort those people spend just to see someone suffer. Unlucky for them, it doesn’t bother him. In fact, he was grateful to have some spice in his life as he liked to call it.

“Eh? What has got the ‘devil’ manager amused?” One of his fellow managers asked when he saw their youngest manager leaning outside VIXX’s dressing room obviouslyin a good mood.

Maru showed him the messages which had the other manager’s face grow in concern. “That’s amusing? You’re not worried that they’ll do something more drastic?”

“I’m not the idol hyung. Those brats will rather use their anonymity online to destroy me. Too bad they haven’t met a bastard like me.” He said confidently and continued scrolling down to see if there were more creative comments.

“You’re really a devil.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” He said with a smirk.

The other manager just shook his head, amazed or just dumbfounded by Maru’s disregard for his safety. He had seen how those people can be violent and it wasn’t pretty. “Time to earn your paycheck Maru.Get to work.”

 

Maru did as he was asked. Since this is the group’s first performance, there are a lot of starlights in the audience. This time around he got the opportunity to have a little chat with them. He had to admit that it was pretty interesting.

Starlights looked pretty excited patiently waiting for the group’s performance. But as soon as Maru approached the fans, they quieted down. It would be no surprise if they recognized him. His face was probably all over the fansitesand fan cafés as ‘that’ manager.

The crowd was mostly composed of females and Maru didn’t lie to himself that it was a bit intimidating. The fandom looked like they were also feeling the same, giving him more confidence to do his job.

Fandom leaders greeted him. Maru gave them a nod and stood in front of the fans.

“Starlights. Thank you for supporting VIXX.” He began. “If you don’t know who I am, I’m from Jellyfish entertainment one of the group’s managers.”

He can see it from the look in their eyes that they knew who he was.It was a good sign. Threats weren't needed from the looks of things.

“I hope all of you will follow the rules in order prevent VIXX and yourselves being seen in a negative light. Your cheers and love will surely be received in present and future performances. I wish you will continue on to give them energy and enjoy their new song. ” Maru mentally gave himself a pat on the head, satisfied with his little speech. He thought it was simple and professional enough to appeal to the fans. He really hoped that it would be enough to keep any fans from making trouble.

“Neh.” Starlights answered in unison, agreeing to his words.  For that alone, he was happy that no one reacted negatively.

Maru checked the time and noted that it was almost time for the official start of the live music program. He had to back and check with the other managers and the group.

“Hypocrite”Maru stopped in his tracks when he heard someone say the word. Whoever said it clearly wanted everyone to hear it. The mood just got worse and it almost made him pissed. One of the things he hated is someone thinking it’s a good idea to open their mouth just to ruin someone.                                 

He huffed and snorted. “Clearly, someone doesn’t understand the concept.” Maru meant it as a jab to that fan.

One of the fandom leaders approached him in fear that he would drive everyone out of the studio. As a manager and staff of Jellyfish entertainment, he has the right to ask the music program to send them out.

Good thing he wasn’t such a monster to ruin everyone’s fun just because someone said something against him. He waved the leaders off assuring them that he didn’t take it to heart. “As I said, VIXX will be glad of your cooperation.”

Without another word, he walked away and checked on the boys.

VIXX’s comeback is a success. The view count of their recent music video continues to grow and judging from the screams that he heard before they got inside the building, it has already created hype. The new song,Love Equation is a fun piece that showed the group’s versatility when it comes to concepts.

There were certain privileges now that the group had established a strong fanbase. Being one of the top contenders for the music program has earned them their own dressing room.

The jittery energy in the dressing room was contagious. Maru liked the chaos and organization that comes along with it. Right now, the stylists are busy preparing the idols for their stage. Today’s wardrobe consists of the clean look with the concept of baseball that they used in their music video. It was adorable and looked comfortable.

The workload was still light.The duo won’t be active until the later of the year. Acting as an assistant manager again wasn’t even a hardship. Maru enjoyed the labor and errands were pretty easy.

Half of the members have done their hair and makeup, covering any imperfections and producing the dream-like idols all the fans are screaming for.

Leowas the first one Maru spotted. The older male was just about to askone of the managers to buy drinks when their Maru magically procured one for him and it was the latte he always preferred. It was only recently that he noticed that underneath the scary and cold attitude the young manager projected, the man was not so bad.  Maybe because he saw a different side of Maru not so long ago that he began to see more than the scary persona. Their fear may have blinded them of their manager’s true character.

Ken was his normal loud self when he received his beverage from Maru. Hyuk looked more comfortable than before. The youngest was also beginning to notice that Ravi and Leo’s manager had never gotten anything wrong with their requests. With a small smile he thanked their manager and joined the other members, Hongbin and Ken to pass some time while they wait for their turn.

Around the other staff of the company, they have gotten used to being around the new manager. Their leader, N may have influenced that. He was the only one in the company who could control the young manager.

The new manager wasn’t sure if he liked that feeling with people being comfortable around him. He had grown to be comfortable when everyone was afraid of him.

“Maru-ya~” And of course, his only friend Hakyeon would still be the one brave enough to burst his scary bubble and rest his chin on his shoulder.

“Not the time for games N-sshi. Have you warmed up your vocals? We can’t have you messing up on stage. That would be embarrassing even though we have a backup track.” He pressed the cool drink on Hakyeon’s cheek earning him a pout that only made the older male look childish.

“Don’t be such a nag. I already did earlier.”

Maru almost rolled his eyes at his friend’s childish antics and gestured in Leo’s direction with his thumb. “Why don’t you be like that guy? Save all your energy in your performance and your fans.”

“I always do my best.” He retorted back. “Plus, I have a lot more energy than Leo. He always asks for a break in the practice rooms.”

“I heard that.” Leo told them in his soft voice. Everyone in the company had gotten used to his voice that N and Maru heard him.

“It’s true though. You were always the one who asks for practice but you’re the first one to give up.” Ravi couldn’t help but join in and tease the older one.

Leo glared at Ravi who hid behind the other managers even knowing he won’t get scolded for it.

 

 

All the fun in the dressing room stopped soon enough when it was time for their performance. Maru stood beside the other managers and watched the group intently, looking for rooms of improvement and if his friend really did warm up his vocals. Nowadays with many idol groups competing, it’s hard to reach the charts. Slacking off was out of the question.

All members did well. N as promised, he sang perfectly. The group’s new concept for the comeback was definitely a treat for fans and non-fans alike. The fun melody contrast even with the sad lyrics will still make anyone smile.

Even Maru smiled… a little bit.

It was a close call but Starlights showed their love for the group, giving VIXX their first win for Love Equation comeback.

“Good work everyone.” Maru told the group as soon as they got down the stage. Everyone was still in their winning high after receiving the award and the encore performance. Maru can still hear their fans screaming for their names that it was hard to hear anything backstage.

Their smiles were almost contagious but he managed not to show it. Maru didn’t like being affectionate in public, feeling it was unprofessional.

Ken noticed him and it was too late to move away to avoid the younger idol. Maru’s escape was blocked.

“Aiyo manager-nim, can you smile for us just this once?” Ken was grinning from ear to ear, not even put off with the serious look on Maru.

“Congratulations. You’ve worked hard.”Maru remained neutral and congratulated him with a pat on the shoulder. He did the same with the rest and was responded with big smiles.

His work was done and he returned to the dress

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter