7

Vigilante
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Is that guy following us?" Sehun whispered into her ear as they sat cozied up at the edge of the pier, their legs dangling over the water.

Dabin shifted too fast, glancing behind her, and Sehun's arm tightened around her waist.

"Mr. Ok," she said, getting to her feet and watching Sehun do the same.

"Agent Seo." Ok Jaeshik was just as neatly dressed as he'd been yesterday, but there were circles under his eyes today, as though he'd had second thoughts about coming forward. He wrapped his arm tightly around the shoulders of the woman beside him and pushed her forward slightly. "This is my wife, Hwang Seohyun."

Seohyun and Jaeshik seemed totally mismatched. She had a lean, athletic build and a look of wariness on her tanned face. Next to his perfectly pressed suit, her jean shorts and bohemian blouse appeared even more wrinkled.

The faint scent of alcohol wafted toward Dabin, something she probably wouldn't have noticed if not for her mom having been an alcoholic. Jaeshik's wife was drinking in the middle of the day. Dabin studied her more closely, wondering why.

Seohyun fidgeted, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm glad Jaeshik could offer some help on the case, although truth be told, I don't think this guy should be caught."

"Seohyun!" Jaeshik flushed, but instead of embarrassment it looked more like anger creeping over his features.

"Do you want a child molester walking around?" Seohyun scowled at her husband.

"It might've been better for the killer to go to the police, instead of trying to handle it himself," Sehun suggested.

"Like that would've helped," Jaeshik muttered.

Dabin squinted at him, wondering if he was talking about Kim Seunghwan's personal connection to the chief. Had his criminal acts actually been suspected around town?

Before she could ask, Jaeshik had grabbed Seohyun's arm, tightly enough to make his knuckles whiten. "We've got to go anyway. Didn't mean to get into the right and wrong of the whole thing." His voice was strained, as if he was forcing himself to sound casual. "Just wanted to say hello and wish you luck with the investigation."

He turned and pulled his wife away from them, his suddenly furious voice floating toward them on the wind—although Dabin couldn't make out the words.

"What the hell was that about?" Sehun asked.

"I'm not sure. Either they really think the police force is corrupt, or they know who did this. And Ok Jaeshik seems very interested in the investigation."

"You notice how his wife thought the killer should get away with it?"

"Yeah," Dabin said grimly. "Kind of sounds like she suspects her husband's the killer. And oh! Why didn't I consider this earlier?" Dabin muttered. "Ok Jaeshik had to sit and listen to someone relive being molested, and there was nothing he could do about it. He couldn't report it, he couldn't stop it because it already happened. Of course he was angry and frustrated and wanted to take action. If he's guilty, it would explain how the killer knew about Kim when no one else seemed to have a clue!"

"He was acting odd on the pier," Sehun said. "He definitely wasn't the calm and collected guy who came to talk to us yesterday. And the way he grabbed his wife? He's got an aggressive side."

She nodded. "It doesn't totally fit, though, unless there's something in their history," Dabin said, walking blindly down the path to the beach, her tablet in front of her face as she ran a search.

She was looking up details on Ok Jaeshik's life. As much as some of the pieces fit, the person they were searching for had a deeply personal motive. Anger at the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter