6

Vigilante
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"They're coming out of the woodwork," the police chief said, looking more haggard than he had yesterday.

"Potential victims of Kim Seunghwan's?" Sehun asked.

The three of them were standing in the tiny police station, as officers hurried around them, either heading in to handle the citizens waiting to talk to someone, or heading out to run down leads. The police chief had woken Dabin and Sehun that morning, asking them to come to the station.

"Do cases follow you wherever you go, or is this an anomaly?" Sehun had asked once she hung up, then pulled her on top of him and made them half an hour late.

"Yeah," the police chief said now, gesturing to the packed station. "Not all of them are reporting Kim, of course. Most are here because they heard the rumours. Honestly, I think Ok Jaeshik wanted to be overheard when he told you. Otherwise, no way would he have announced his theory in front of the town's biggest gossip, who apparently heard him telling you."

"Maybe he wanted to help, but was afraid of violating patient confidentiality. This might be his way of trying to break the silence," Sehun suggested.

She knew what Sehun wasn't saying—that Jaeshik was afraid if he came directly to the police chief, he wouldn't be taken seriously. Especially when Jaeshik refused to name a victim.

"Maybe," the chief muttered. "One other thing I can tell you? The note left on your condo was legit. That was definitely Kim Seunghwan's blood. I wish we'd found prints on it, too, but we’ve got nothing on that."

Dabin frowned, even though she'd suspected it. She didn't share her next thought—that the most likely person to have known her involvement when the note appeared was a police officer.

Instead, she went back to what the chief had said about Kim's victims coming forward. "Some of the claims seem legitimate?" Dabin assumed that from the grim expression on the chief's face. If Kim Seunghwan was his friend, the situation had to be a particularly hard.

"The stories match up too well to be fabricated. There were some rumblings when his body washed ashore, but I thought it was just people making wild guesses because of what was written on him. We couldn't find a thread of evidence to substantiate the claims. We investigated," he said defensively. "But now?" His shoulders slumped.

"Do any of them look good for the murders?" Sehun asked.

"I don't know," the chief replied. "I believe it all happened when he was coaching Little League. He coached for six years, and he stopped about five years ago. He didn't want to quit, but we had a semi-pro guy retire down here and volunteer to take over. Obviously, the town wanted that, so he wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter