1

Vigilante
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seo Dabin had just lied to the NIS.

Lied to her boss. Lied to her training agent, Kris, who happened to be her closest friend in the Service. Lied to every colleague she had in the NIS's Behavioral Analysis Unit.

Now here she was, on her first vacation in the entire year and a half she'd been a profiler. If anyone found out, it might be the end of her career.

Instead of worrying about it, she slid her toes through the sand, tipped her head back and soaked in the last of the heat as the sun sank below the ocean and the wind kicked up hard. Most of the land on this little island off the coast of Busan was secluded, so the tourists were minimal. Which meant she had this gorgeous beach to herself. Almost.

She glanced left, at the man stretched out beside her. The fading sunlight seemed to dance across his muscled torso and over his bare legs. She'd always thought of his eyes as being the same shade as a dark stormy ocean, and lying right next to it, she could see it was true. A little thrill shot through her. He was hers.

He must have sensed her staring, because Oh Sehun turned his head and gave her a grin. If he hadn't gotten over his shock when she'd agreed to his joking suggestion that they go on vacation together, he wasn't showing it.

He folded his hand over hers as though they'd been doing that for a lifetime, instead of only sharing a few secret kisses over the past six months. But then, he'd never been concerned about the consequences of dating her.

She'd resisted, afraid of what would happen to her job—or his—if the NIS discovered that two agents in their Critical Incident Response Group were dating. It was technically a grey area, because they were in different units under CIRG. But all those units worked critical missions together. It was almost like a special squad—and dating within an NIS squad could lead to reassignment or even dismissal. And Dabin's job had long been her life.

Yet, right now, right here on this secluded beach, she couldn't seem to remember why it had ever seemed like a good idea to resist Sehun's constant flirting.

"You're thinking you should've gone out with me the first day I asked, aren't you?" he , digging his foot into the sand beside hers and sliding his toes against her arch.

She scooted closer, seeking a little of his warmth as the scent of coming rain filled the air, and laughed. The first time he'd asked had been her first week as a profiler. He'd strolled into the BAU office, completely out of place in his cargo pants, T-shirt and smears of cammo paint, and told her he wanted to take her flying in the Hostage Rescue Team's helicopter.

He'd obviously just been looking for a reaction, and he'd gotten one. She'd had no idea how to deal with him, because despite all her hard-earned skills profiling serial criminals, social cues didn't come as easily to her.

"Something like that," she said now, leaning into him. Before she could reach his lips, she lurched to a sitting position, shading her eyes with her hand as she peered out at the ocean. "Did you see that?"

"What?" Sehun sat up more slowly, following her gaze.

The ocean had been getting rougher over the past hour. Having grown up near the water, Dabin knew a storm was on the way. No one was out there today. Except, off in the distance… "I thought I saw a boat."

Sehun leaned forward, his eyes sweeping from side to side, until finally he shook his head. "I don't see anything. Probably an illusion caused by all those waves. No one would be crazy enough to go out in that."

He rolled toward her, trailing a hand up her side and giving her goose bumps that had nothing to do with the temperature. "In fact, I think rain's coming. Want to head in?"

"Okay," she said, trying to shake off the bad feeling that swept through her as she continued to stare at the ocean.

She'd seen something—she was sure of it—that was going to come back to haunt her.

"I think we should consider this our beach," Sehun whispered, walking backward down the wood-planked trail toward the secluded little spot they'd discovered yesterday.

Dabin followed, stumbling, her arms wrapped around Sehun's neck as she smiled up at him. "That's okay with—"

"Hey! You can't be here!" A deep voice cut her off.

Disentangling herself from Sehun, she slid sideways to see a police officer hurrying toward them, looking serious and weary. Behind him, crime-scene tape fluttered across the end of the walkway. Beyond that, at the edge of the water…

Sehun spun around, too. "Is that a body?"

"You two, you need to head back—"

"We're NIS," Dabin broke in.

He eyed her speculatively, skipping from her long, loose hair, past the shorts and T-shirt she'd thrown on over her swimsuit, down to her flip-flops. "Ma'am—"

"Special Agent  Seo Dabin. I'm with—"

"Wait," he snapped. "You're the profiler who solved the Nursery Rhyme Killer case up the coast, aren't you?"

"Uh, yes," she stuttered, surprised he'd heard her name in connection with the case. She felt mixed emotions at just the mention of it. She'd waited eighteen years to solve that case.

Before she could dwell on it, the officer was striding back down the path, gesturing for them to follow. "Give me a quick profile, and then I need you to clear out. Chief doesn't like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter