Be Careful What You Wish For

1-800-Phone-A-Friend

 


Kris Wu, 19 years old, had seen it all, done it all, and was right about the point where he was doing it all over again, only this time with copious amounts of alcohol in hand.

After blowing his knee out at the post-championship-let’s-all-get-really wasted-and-celebrate-by-reenacting-touchdowns-celebratory game at his high school had cost him the sports scholarship to the State Uni, he’d let himself be talked – against his better judgement – into signing up for a Business Major at the local college. It was so annoying, the ty workload, honestly, all he’d wanted to do was serve his time in some sleeper courses, get a whatever degree, and get the hell out; it wasn’t even like he needed any of this ! Just the two modelling gigs he’d scored had earned him more’n a friggin monthly salary at whatever office job he could get, and honestly, that was what he ought to be focusing on, right!!?? But no, his mom had hated the idea, insisting he get through college and then he could do whatever he wanted… and sure, he was nine friggin teen and he could already do whatever the hell he wanted, but..well..it was his mom after all.. and… he didn’t wanna upset her, right? It was just three years, he could sacrifice three years, if it made her happy, couldn’t he?

Besides, it had given him the opportunity to get out and get his own place, while still being close enough to drive home every other weekend with a carful of dirty laundry.. it was fun having all his time to himself….It was fun, all the crazy parties and wild nights, even though most of the crowd were people he’d known all his life..

………. Even though he’d always longed to get right out of this place, to widen his horizons, see new places and meet new people…….

Aahh it, it was just three years, and after that he was so gonna blow the roof off the world with his great debut, walking the catwalks at all the fashion capitals, wearing all the super big name brands. He already had an agency lined up and everything! And then he would travel the whole entire ing globe!!

 

So here he was in the meantime, stuck through college, forced to turn down pretty much every modelling offer that came his way coz he couldn’t fit it around his class schedule, running away from agency scouts on the streets, and working every other evening at this stupid book store, just to earn his rent [which was doubly hard, coz he knew what sort of swanky pad he’d be living at if he could spend his time strutting around just…just wearing clothes, for ’s sake!]

 

 

This evening was dribbling along just as usual, time smoothly swimming along with all the consistency of oatmeal; he had a report due tomorrow he really had no intention of doing, c’mon, that ole lady was so into him, all he had to do was smile and say ‘professor’ a lot, and she’d prol just give him an A for a bunch of blank paper… nevertheless it did produce the occasional twinge in his conscience, compounded by the fact he had stood his girlfriend up for the fourth time yesterday – well, her he totally wanted to break up with, but it was so tiresome to get into, why couldn’t she just take the hint and disappear! At least he was at Billing today, so he could sit down under the air con, ‘stead of having to politely stand amidst the rows of books, looking helpful…

He’d looked up from his random internet surfing when those high schoolers had walked in – only the fifth set of customers all day and it was already 6 pm, Hurray! Not. From the looks of them, they would probably just hang around reading manga and leave without buying anything, and it was only with the faintest hint of pleasure at being proved right at the sight of most of ‘em heading straight for the comic section that he’d gone back to his phone..

 

Right when he’d almost finished deciding on the perfect comment to leave on a pic some chick had posted of him from last night, that club he’d barely been aware he was in, a rioting gust of wind blew in, setting the bell above the door jangling on his nerves. Pages flurried about, the books sounding like a forest of leaves flapping about. Instinctively, Kris looked up, jerking towards the rows of books spreading out on his right, to see if any had fallen; the wind sure was strong enough –

When –

‘Is this real???’

‘Huh!?- Oh…’ Startled, Kris looked at the magazine that was thumping on the counter, impatiently bouncing up and down – then at the long fingers that held it, sparkly nails glittering – then at the body that went with those hands, and his voice died away.

 

A girl was standing in front of him, a girl who’d probably come in with the wind, he really hadn’t seen her enter, but then again, he’d been distracted checking on the books, and –

Holy…ing…..

 

Long, black hair, impossibly dark, superhumanly silky, fell down her shoulders, a perfect sheet of ink. Her skin was lightly tanned, just that hint to make her incredibly y features positively criminal – her dark eyes with long, midnight lashes, her glistening plump, yet somehow scalpel sharp lips, her perfectly shaped, kinda arrogant nose… She was wearing some sort of black lacy..thing, probably a dress, the skirt super short – revealing such gorgeous thighs and long long legs, Kris, who usually paid attention to what people wore, couldn’t for the life of him check out her style, even as she was standing right there in front of him.. Of course, the total absence of air in his lungs, like someone had just punched him in the gut, was probably due more to the parts of her the purple bustier couldn’t begin to cover…

 

Swallowing painfully, he somehow managed to tear his eyes away, forcing them to meet hers, his mind chanting ‘ ’ like a mantra.

 Jesus, she’s got to be older than 18, right???!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

☲☲☲


 

‘Well!!??’ Eagerly, a long sparkly pink nail tapped the cover of the magazine again. ‘Is it true??? Does this really work???’

Blankly, Kris looked down at what she was indicating – some dumb chick mag, the latest reality show celeb on the cover, buncha useless articles they just recycled every month – and the headliner – ‘How to Get A Guy in 9 Simple Steps’.

Involuntarily, a shocked laugh burst past his lips. ‘You’re kiddin’, right!!? Incredulous, he looked up disbelievingly at her, unable to resist running his eyes over her body. ‘You need something like this!??’

‘Ah!!!!’ Almost triumphantly, the chick stabbed a finger towards him. ‘I know, right!!!???? This body – ha, any guy would be totally trippin’ for it, right!!??’ Demonstratively, she swayed around a circle, showing off her admittedly High-inducing curves. ‘But that idiot!’Conspiratorially, as if utterly overjoyed to find someone who was finally seeing her side of it, she leant over the counter, so cute Kris couldn’t help grinning ily up at her, leaning forward himself in a basically conditioned flirt reflex till their foreheads were almost touching. ‘I tried everything, I tried doing everything I could think of, I’ve never had to work this hard, but does he even care!!?? No!!! Stupid dumb !! I keep hitting on him, I even told him point blank I wanted him, I tried dressing up, ya know, all sorts of styles, all sorts of outfits – and some of them were so friggin uncomfortable, for ’s sake!! I even tried offering him food – cake even, and I was only wearing an apron, okay, and in what world does that not work!!?? But him!?? –

 

- hey… are you okay..??’ Concern twisting her features, she reached over to bang Kris over the shoulders. ‘Grha – ah- ah… yeah..’ Spluttering through his tears and the air he’d choked on, Kris waved – hopefully reassuringly – at her. ‘Well, well that’s what happened.’ Scowling adorably at the memory that was obviously still rankling, she flipped her hair over one shoulder, the movement intrinsically elegant. ‘So does this work????’ she switched her expression to a tight little smile, jostling the magazine against the counter. ‘Will this really ..get him?’

 

‘…erm……. Well……’ Clearing his throat, he looked up at the hopeful cast of her features, the slight trace of something akin to desperation in her eyes. The dude was gay, right? Like, anyone straight would pass up on…all this…! Shouldn’t someone tell her or something….  

Oh well…

‘It’s definitely worth a shot!’ He said brightly, watching in almost physical pleasure as she positively burst into sparkles. ‘Really???? Really truly????’ She squealed gleefully, and Kris chuckled, reaching his hand to pat hers that was still on the counter, letting his fingers linger over her soft warmth. ‘Sure!’

Beaming wide enough at him that her face was in danger of splitting, she slapped the mag triumphantly on the counter. ‘I’ll take it, then!’ ‘Sure, let me just ring it up~….. Okay, that’s *4.99’ ‘Ha!! Paying paper for paper is so weird~~’ ‘….huh?’ Momentarily puzzled, Kris pulled back, frowning at her as she waved away the comment, reaching into a pocket –

And stopped, her eyes widening. ‘Ah! Oh No!!!’ Gasping, she patted her skirt again – where, of course, there was no pocket. ‘Dammit!! Dammit I left it in my boy-clothes!’

‘…eh? Ah…..’ She’s pulling a scam??? For a ing Cosmo!?? The idea was so ridiculous, he dropped it immediately. She’s probs really forgotten her wallet, right….

 

Right!!!

 

Quickly, Kris sat up, smiling in his best ‘innocent’ manner. ‘What’s the matter, you forgot your purse?’

‘Aaaarrghh!! This is so annoying!! And I’d just sneaked Sehun’s History book, too! That’s almost 200 pages!!’ Not paying attention to him, the chick continued patting herself down – before she too snapped up. ‘Hey!! Would you mind closing your eyes for a moment?? Only Sehun’s banned me from letting anyone see me change..’

‘….Eh?’ Nonplussed, Kris stopped for a moment-  before his smile reformed, growing in size. ‘Ehehe, close my eyes so you can make away withit~~ I think not~~ But there is something we can do~~’

‘..really??’ Eagerly, she leant forward again – and for a moment, Kris himself was taken aback- like seriously… she really looked up for anything…like… anything

Ehh??? Wasn’t she just going all upset coz that other guy…
Ah haha, I’m probably letting all sorts of wishful thinking colour my judgement, she’s just being friendly, dude!  Laughing, shaking his head, he racked up the cash drawer, sliding in some money before pulling out the receipt, and scribbling something on the back of it, before handing it to her along with the magazine. ‘I’ll buy it for you  - but it’s only a loan. In return -  you have to treat me to dinner sometime~~’ Cheekily, he smirked up at her – and laughed again as she happily seized the glossy pages. ‘Sure! When’s sometime~~’

‘How ‘bout this Friday?’

‘Ok-ay~~’ Grinning, she turned to go, pausing when he called out he’d written his number down on the bill, to give him a ring. ‘Ehehe~~’ She glanced over her shoulder to wink, flashing him such a y look it was a wonder he wasn’t smouldering. ‘I won’t need that~~ See you Friday!’

‘Sure~~’  And it’ll be my job to make you realise ‘dinner’ is actually ‘date’. Something told Kris he’d enjoy that very much indeed.