Go Away

12 Powers

I slowly pushed away the bowl of soup and the water that the guard had left inside my cage. It was the third day I was spending there, and also the third day I didn't eat. Not that I wasn't hungry: I really needed some food, but I'm not stupid. The people who took me, whoever they are, want to experiment on me or to use my powers somehow. They are feeding me because they need me alive, and I'd rather die than give them what they want.

Moreover, I was hoping that, since they want me to live, if I put my life in danger they'll open the cage and give me the possibility to run.

I was sure that my powers weren't gone forever, because if I were now a powerless human, they would have released me. But they were keeping me, monitoring me and trying to keep me healthy and strong. So the powers had to be still somewhere inside of me, and maybe the cage was the one thing blocking them. Once I find the way to exit, I'll probably be able to burn their asses again, and I swear I will, I thought. And the only way I could think of was putting myself in danger. So I decided to starve. It was the best plan.

But I was wrong. The plan failed on the morning of the fifth day, and with the plan, also all my suppositions were crushed.

I was quietly waiting for my death, while a man dressed like a doctor opened the cage and lifted me, bringing me outside. Unluckily I was too weak to try out my powers... but I wondered where the guy was going.

He placed my body on a big table, then started to envelop me with a blanket, so that I was supposed not to move.

That was my occasion. I was weak to use my powers, but not weak enough to passively stay there.

I did a fast twitch with my back and landed on the floor, slowly withdrawing as some guards arrived to block me. I managed to kick two of them in their balls, but the third one had a weapon that my weak body couldn't take. A weapon that used one of my powers... a teaser.

I fell on my face as the electric shock blocked all my muscles and the doctor lifted me again, this time tying my body at the table with a strong rope. Then he approached me with a syringe filled with a yellow liquid.

I couldn't move a single finger, but my scared look made him talk with a melliferous, hateful voice.

"We're sedating you, this is not poison. We thought that you were weaker, but anyway you're not strong enough for our experiment, so after you'll fall asleep we'll forcefully aliment you. Aren't you happy? When you'll wake up you'll have plenty of strenght to rebel again! If you will ever be able... Anyway you're gonna become a part of a great project, so feel proud!"

"Proud my ! I can't be proud of being kidnapped, tied in a table and used as some sort of toy! You'll pay for that!"

Yeah, you'll pay for that, I said, but as soon as the words came out my mouth, I realised that I had the biggest chance of my life: after waking up, my strenght will be at its maximum, and I will use all my powers to crush you fools, whatever you are planning to do...

So I let them do what they wanted. I didn't rebel at the yellow liquid, I slept, and when I woke up, I felt strong as never before. The rope was gone, together with my tries to fight against the guards, who were too much to be defeated by a simple human.

But not by a human with twelve terrible powers, and at her maximum strenght and rage.

"Oh, I see you're awake... and you seem less rebel than before... Food can really do miracles, huh? So, follow me to the next room: we'll begin our wonderful experiment!"

I stood up, trying to look a bit numb. When I got a good balance, I lifted my head with a smirk.

"Drown."

I expected the room to be filled in water, and everything to be in chaos, but nothing happened.

"Burn!"

Nothing. I put all my strenght in the order. I had full will to destroy everything... What was my body doing?

"FREEZE! EARTH, COLLAPSE! WIND, BLOW THEM!"

Nothing. I felt my body as usual when I use my powers, but my powers weren't coming out...

"Block her. She still has will to fight."

Twelve guards came closer, each one holding a teaser. I was so angry and stunned that I didn't react. I just let them drag me somewhere, wondering why everything was happening. I was the same, but where were my powers gone?

After a few minutes, we arrived in a completely white room. They forced me to lay on a table and tied me with some belts. The doctor from before approached the table.

"So, welcome to our laboratory, 30042. Here we'll try to understand how people like you are born."

He was holding a knife in his hands, and pointing it at my neck. I tried to stay calm, but my heavy breath betrayed me.

"Don't worry, you won't die, we will cure you everytime you'll be on the edge of real danger. But... You know, government doesn't give us enough money, so we don't have anesthetics..."

I widened my eyes.

"Yeah, I know, this will hurt a lot, I can understand... Well, you can only wish we find your secret soon. You know, when we will understand where do your powers come from, you'll be free to die. You will be useless, and we don't want you to spread the fact that we experimented on you, so..."

"Don't... Don't touch me..."

I was trembling.

"Oh, come on, you're one of the strongest humans in the whole planet and you're afraid of a knife?"

He was coming closer and closer. I could feel the cold, and I didn't know anymore if it was the blade or the fear.

"Go... away..."

Suddenly, I felt my flesh being cut, and a terrible pain invading my brain.

"GO AWAY! GO AWAY I SAID!"

I heard a thump on the wall in front of me. Then people started to scream. I lifted my head and I saw the doctor laying against the wall, his knife stuck on his head.