Chapter 12

"Jeonghan, I choose you!" Part 2

Zm45RZQUxrHjYXGiqpSngeRs2P6Ntxy1WhYdqoeO

Two hours into the drive, Team Rocket and Pikachu happened upon a pit stop for gas and snacks, don’t forget bathroom breaks! Jessi and James were out of the car the second they stopped. Meanwhile, Pikachu and… Slowpoke remained in the back seat, they weren’t very excited about going inside. “I didn’t know Jeonghan had a driver’s license?” She turned to Won Woo with a curious look. 

 

“Yeah, he got it last year when he used to have a car, but he ended up giving it to his dad since his mom’s broke down.”

 

“Oh. Interesting. That’s kind of him.” You learn something new every day.

 

“Cars are expensive…” Won Woo pouted. “If I had a car, I could never give it away so easily!”

 

“I know, Mr. Slowpoke, but then again, maybe it’s best you don’t have a car so you don’t block traffic from going too slow.” She joked, but her tone wasn’t like it used to be and it made Won Woo a little sad. Pikachu wasn’t fully back, was she? He trusts that she’s trying at least, so he gave a small laugh and gently nudged her leg with his foot in a playful way. 

 

“Going slow is better sometimes.” He blurted out. “Sometimes you gotta go slow.” He saw her look at him, a hint of surprise in her eyes before she smiled softly and nodded. “They said the Squirtle always wins the race, right?”

 

“... yes.” She managed a quiet laugh. “Thanks.” 

 

“No problem.” His mood brightened a little at that, he was happy to see it. 

 

“So, if he gave away his car, whose van is this?” She asked with a curious look.

 

“Seungkwan’s.” He answered. “His mom’s.” He added quickly.

 

“Oh, makes sense!” A smile slowly spread across her lips. “Awh, so you asked your son for a favor?” She could see Won Woo about to scowl at her but instead laughed. 

 

“Yeah, I asked my son.” He played along. “He was very eager to help.”

 

“I’m sure he was.” She still felt bad for how things went. “I’ll have to make it up to him later on.”

 

“Take your time.” He said kindly. “I’m sure you haven’t thought about it, but what are your first plans to do when you get back to Seoul?” 

 

“I really haven’t thought about it like you said.” She sighed and looked out the window to check if Team Rocket was returning yet or not. She could see them standing in line to pay for some snacks. “I’m sure everyone wants to meet up, right?”

 

“They do.” The answer was obvious, not only did she disappear once, she disappeared twice. After Jeonghan left that first weekend, before her grandmother’s death, she managed to reach out to the others via text messages. She thought it was pretty lame but they told her it was a good start, it was better than not saying anything at all. They were all so forgiving and welcoming through their texts, it honestly made her that much more guilty about the whole situation. She wasn’t sure if she could ever get over it, maybe someday?

 

“It’s going to be… hard.” She admitted. “With so many eyes on me… all that attention.”

 

“You don’t have to.” He assured her. “Just go slow, remember?”

 

“Saturday is Halloween, is anyone celebrating?” She asked instead. 

 

“We don’t trick or treat here in Korea.” He said with a shake of his head.

 

“I know!” She snickered. “I’m talking about if anyone is throwing a party or not? It’ll be a Saturday night after all. Ren likes Halloween so I wouldn’t be surprised if he and his friends are throwing a party.” 

 

“I see. Should I throw a party then?” He perked up and stopped slouching in his seat. She had to laugh, he looked excited, like a little kid suddenly.

 

“You don’t need to… I probably wouldn’t go anyways.” He could see her mood deflate, quite literally, her dejected expression and tired eyes said it all. “Sorry.”

 

“It’s fine, I understand.” He gave her a gentle pat on her shoulder. “Can I at least stop by with some candy?”

 

“... I don’t see why not?” She liked the sound of that and he was pleased. And on cue, Jeonghan and Jisoo returned to the car with snacks and drinks. 

 

“Are you hungry?” Jisoo asked, his question directed at her. “I got you a Choco Pie.” He added and held it up. The smile returned to her lips and she accepted the snack with a thank you. Jeonghan took a few seconds to admire the sight before he was nudged by Jisoo to pay attention. “Won Woo, you pump the gas since we went in and paid for the snacks.”

 

“... seriously?” Won Woo asked with his mouth full of food. He was not pleased. Soo Min let out a soft chuckle when he groaned and got out to do as he was told. 

 

“We’re gonna be here for a while.” She joked and she earned a laugh from the other two. 

Zm45RZQUxrHjYXGiqpSngeRs2P6Ntxy1WhYdqoeO

Another two hours had gone by and they were nearing Seoul City. Despite it wasn’t quite evening yet, both Soo Min and Won Woo managed to fall asleep in the backseat. Jisoo seemed like he was on the verge of falling asleep too. Jeonghan almost envied them since he had to focus on driving, he can’t fall asleep at the wheel. He was sure when he gets home later he will take a good nap, even if it messes up his sleep pattern, he was always able to fix it just as easy as messing it up. Can sleeping be considered a talent? Lol.

 

In a matter of minutes, they arrived to the city and Jeonghan was already on the path to her parents house. Everyone woke up when he hit a speed bump by accident. They all managed to hit their head on their windows and all Jeonghan could do was laugh at them about it. He did it on purpose? It was a complete accident? Either way, it was almost time, they needed to wake up anyways.

 

Soo Min looked out the window and took in the scenery of houses passing by. She could see a family having fun outside when they came up to a stop sign. She could see a mother and a child, even a grandmother sitting in a chair by the front door, looking out and watching over her daughter and her daughter’s daughter. It was a heartwarming scene, but also bittersweet. She felt the emotions stirring in her chest again. Everything is going to remind me of her. She didn’t find it fair. But I never want to forget her either. She can’t avoid it.

 

She continued to watch the world pass by out the window. I don’t know where you went, Halmoni, but wherever it is, I hope you’re in peace. 

 

When they made it to her parents house, Soo Min started to feel a tad nervous. She decided to stay with her mother after listening to Jeonghan who told her she wanted it when her daughter decided to return to Seoul. He said it would probably be better that way until she could find a place on her own or move back in with Jisoo and the kids. Oh how she misses those kids. She definitely plans on visiting them first this week. 

 

They were greeted by her parents warmly when the door opened and Soo Min got the biggest hug ever from her mother while everyone else started to move her stuff into the house, they left the mother and daughter to have their moment. “I’m so happy you’re here.” Her mother cooed and Soo Min could feel the sting in the back of her eyes grow stronger. She was reminded of how rare it was to get hugs from her late grandmother, so she hadn’t been used to how affectionate others were when she first came to Seoul. The thought of never getting a hug from her beloved elder again broke her heart. It made her appreciate her mother’s hug that much more and she quickly wrapped her arms around her to return her tight embrace. She buried her face into her shoulder and began to cry. With how much crying she did alone those few weeks, she felt like crying wouldn’t be so easy after that, but she was wrong. There were still tears left inside to cry.

Zm45RZQUxrHjYXGiqpSngeRs2P6Ntxy1WhYdqoeO

Time flew by and before she knew it, the move from Busan to Seoul was complete and it was now dinner time. She supposed having help from Jeonghan and the other two really cut the time in half, they worked hard. Naturally, her mother invited the three to eat and they happily accepted. It was a nice dinner, there were many conversations and laughter between them all, Soo Min tried to keep up with it but she was still emotional from earlier. When dinner was over, it was time to part ways for the night, something that Soo Min thought would be simple, but it wasn’t now that she was standing  at the front door with Jeonghan, a hold on his wrist with her eyes cast down to the floor, saying nothing. He moved his arm so he could hold her hand instead and held it tight. “What’s wrong?” He asked when the others left them alone to talk. 

 

“I just…” she wasn’t sure what to say, the words weren’t coming to her. Maybe being alone for that long wasn’t a good idea in the end, after spending time with them and seeing them go, she was too lonely... 

 

“I’ll come see you again tomorrow, don’t worry.” He said with a warm smile and stepped forward so he could cup her face into his hands. He placed a soft kiss to her forehead. “Get some sleep, okay?”

 

“Okay.” She managed to say calmly and eventually let him go, even though she didn’t want to. Now she feared of losing others in her life so suddenly, just like her grandmother. Being alone is better? She thought while watching him walk back to the van parked out front. Not only could no one hurt you, but you wouldn’t be able to hurt others either. If only...

 

“Soo Min?” Her mother snapped her out of her dark thoughts just then. The tears started again. No, being alone is horrible. She quickly turned and hugged her mother tightly again and cried. Step one has been made, returning to Seoul and letting go of Busan. Healing takes time, for some it’s short and for others it’s longer. She supposed this would be a long journey for her. 

Zm45RZQUxrHjYXGiqpSngeRs2P6Ntxy1WhYdqoeO

Soo Min didn’t sleep well that night, possibly from her new environment so suddenly, it would take time to adapt to unfortunately. But at least she managed to get three hours of sleep before her mother came to wake her for breakfast. She supposed she wouldn’t have to worry about ruined sleep patterns when living with her parents. A pro to this situation, a con when she just wanted to sleep more. 

 

She washed up like she was told and headed down to join her parents for breakfast.  She wasn’t hungry again, but she remembered she shouldn’t neglect her health or else not only would she get sick but everyone would be worried about her and she’s done with making everyone constantly worry about her, not like she hated it, she just didn’t want to waste their time. I’m not really worth it, am I?

 

“Good morning, Soo!” Her father greeted when she entered the kitchen, he was seated at the table and had already started eating. 

 

“You just couldn’t wait until I got down here.” She teased with a soft snicker. He gave her a sheepish smile and apologized. “Good morning.” She greeted back.

 

“How did you sleep?” She expected her parents were going to ask how she was doing, she’d do the same if she were in their shoes. All she can do is be honest. 

 

“Not very good. I only got 3 hours of sleep.” She said softly while beginning to eat small bites. 

 

“That’s not good.” Her father was worried. “When you’re done eating, why don’t you go back upstairs and rest a bit more. You shouldn’t push yourself or you will get sick.” 

 

“He’s right, there’s nothing you need to do today, right? Just try to relax, alright?” 

 

“I can try.” Her parents noticed not only how tired she was, but how quiet and indifferent she became suddenly. “Thanks for the food.” She said a moment later and excused herself from the table. She had only eaten a few bites. Her mother wanted to call out to her, but her husband stopped her. 

 

“She’s clearly having a rough start to the day, let’s not push her. She at least ate a bit of something.” He could tell his wife didn’t want to sit back and watch. “Just let her rest for a bit, you can try feeding her again later.” She agreed and took her seat beside him to eat her breakfast. He would be heading off to work soon. She had a long list of things she needed to do around the house, daily chores, she would make sure to check on her daughter throughout the day.

Zm45RZQUxrHjYXGiqpSngeRs2P6Ntxy1WhYdqoeO

Soo Min managed to fall back asleep when she returned to her room earlier this morning, it was noon and her mother came to check on her like planned. “I'm about to start making lunch, will you eat?” her mother asked with a hopeful smile.

 

“Okay.” Her daughter nodded before stretching her arms above her head and turned over onto her stomach with a sigh. She thought about grabbing her phone and checking who might be free to come and eat lunch with them, but her body didn't listen to her brain signals and she lied there motionless for several minutes until she heard the doorbell ring and her mother answered the front door. She remembered Jeonghan mentioned he'd visit again today, he kept his promise. She could hear his voice get closer to her room since he was answering her mother about lunch.

 

“Thank you, Mrs. Chae!” Jeonghan's voice finally entered her room. When he entered he could see Soo Min face down on her bed and couldn't help but quietly chuckle at the sight. He walked over and took a seat on the side edge of the bed and reached out and gently patted her on her shoulder to get her attention. She responded by pushing herself up with her arms and sat cross-legged. “Hey.” 

 

“Hey.” She greeted back. 

 

“Were you resting?” He asked and gestured to her bed. She silently nodded.  He thought about asking how she was doing today and if she slept well, but he had a feeling that it might provoke those emotions from yesterday when they parted. “Ready for lunch?” She silently nodded again, a small smile curled at the end of .

 

“Wait,” she paused, “don't you have work?” 

 

“I have the day off again.” 

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah.” He chuckled at her suspicious pout. “Just for Pledis Cafe, I have my shift later for Pledis Pizza. But I promised you yesterday that I’d come visit. Here I am.”

 

“Thanks for keeping your promise.” She was clearly happy he showed up.

 

“Of course.” He gave her a warm smile. “If you ever want me to visit, just call. Just be aware of my work hours. I have to go back to Pledis Cafe eventually.” He said with a sheepish chuckle. 

 

“Right. When you say that, I just remembered everyone else have school going on. It’s going to be pretty boring during the day until they’re all free.” 

 

“It might be.” He nodded. 

 

“What do I do with myself while everyone is busy?” She sighed. She was a bit worried if she had nothing to do then she’d only spiral down into those negative thoughts and bad habits once more. If no one was around to keep her company, surely her mind would drift off and she’d become distant all over again.

 

“Don’t worry about it too much, okay? Just relax and get adjusted first.” He pointed out while reaching over to give her a gentle pat to her head. 

 

“Okay. A day at a time.” She agreed. 

 

“Exactly.” He smiled at her and she managed to smile back. They spent a moment like that, staring at each other and he started to feel conflicted. He would like to lean over and kiss her, but he can’t be doing things like that, he can’t be acting like they’re together when they’re not. He thought about talking to her about it? Maybe they could reconsider and move things along faster? But then maybe that was him being selfish? Just be patient… he told himself. He was patient before, he could be patient again and he already knows how she feels. It’s not a mystery.

 

“Something on your mind?” Soo Min asked when she noticed his expression and how quiet he got. 

 

“I was just thinking about us.” He answered honestly. He decided not to lie. 

 

“Oh, really?” She gave a cute chuckle, like she was embarrassed and it warmed his heart. “Well, speaking of us…”

 

“Yes?” He was curious to hear what she had to say. 

 

“I was thinking…” she started but trailed off when she heard something. They heard her mother calling Soo Min from downstairs and she gestured for him to wait in her room while she goes to check it out. He stayed behind and waited patiently for her to return. 

 

“I’m so sorry, something’s come up and a friend needs my help from across town!” Her mother explained while slipping on her coat when Soo Min made it downstairs. “I didn’t get far in cooking lunch, so you’ll either have to make something yourself or you can go out and get something?” 

 

“That’s okay.” Soo Min gave her mother a weak smile. “Since Jeonghan is here, we’ll figure something out.” 

 

“Please eat, okay?” Her mother said with a worried smile. “I’ll be back later.”

 

“Alright, get there safely.” She gave her a quick hug. “Love you.”

 

“Love you too, sweetie.” The older smiled sweetly before exiting out the front door. Once she was gone, Soo Min let out a quiet sigh, it wasn’t a disappointing sigh or anything, she at least had Jeonghan visiting. 

 

She returned to her room and saw Jeonghan was lying down on her bed while browsing his phone. “Careful, don’t drop your phone on your face.” She warned while approaching her bed. He chuckled at her comment and put it back into his pocket before sitting up. “Mom had to leave and help a friend, so there’s no lunch for us right now.”

 

“We’re not going to eat?” Jeonghan frowned and she giggled, remembering yesterday when he complained about food while dressed as Jessi from Team Rocket. 

 

“We will, don’t worry.” She assured him with a small smile. “Just rest for a few minutes, okay?” He nodded and they lied there looking up at the ceiling in silence. With Jeonghan by her side, Soo Min felt relaxed. Unfortunately, Jeonghan was the opposite of relaxed and instead anxious and worried about her. 

 

“I wasn’t going to ask, since I didn’t want to provoke any emotions if I did, but I can’t help it now…” Jeonghan blurted out a moment later, breaking the silence between them. “How are you feeling today?” 

 

“I’m fine.” She answered softly. “I… didn’t sleep very well last night, but I slept a bit more after breakfast this morning, it helped. But I didn’t eat much at breakfast this morning…”

 

“Because you were tired?” 

 

“Because I wasn’t hungry.” 

 

“What about now? It’s lunch time, are you hungry now?” 

 

“I’m not sure, but I promised mom that I will eat.” She answered honestly. 

 

“Promise me too?” He to his side and faced her. 

 

“I will.” She turned her head and gave him a more genuine smile. He felt like she would keep her word and smiled in return. 

 

“So… before you left, what were you about to say?” He asked a moment later. 

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You were about to say something about us?” 

 

“Oh, right. I was going to ask if you wanted to go on a date later? I was thinking after lunch, but then my mom left… so I guess we could just turn it into a lunch date, huh?” She smiled and his nervous expression brightened up and she was happy to see it. 

 

“Sure.” He nodded. “Let’s go on date number one! Where should we go?” 

Zm45RZQUxrHjYXGiqpSngeRs2P6Ntxy1WhYdqoeO

“You’re so loyal to this cafe, eating lunch here on your day off.” Jihoon snickered when he came to serve the two their waters.

 

“I’d eat dinner at Pledis Pizza too.” Jeonghan chuckled in response. Soo Min quietly laughed along to their conversation. Jihoon had greeted her and was nothing but kind and friendly. He knows it must be hard for her to return, let alone face the ones she ghosted. But he wasn’t going to make it hard on her and kept his comments to a minimum with her. He just wanted her to be comfortable and not feel pressured to say anything. 

 

On the other hand, you could say Jeonghan was a little disappointed in how quiet she was while there, she was the one who picked the place to eat, he thought that meant she was ready to see the others even if it was only Jihoon on the clock. Seokmin and Seungkwan weren’t working this fall due to school and Jeonghan has the day off. Everyone in their large group of friends were pretty much busy with school this fall. Soo Min really wondered what she’d do while everyone is busy working and doing school. Should I get a job? She could save up for when she gets her own place? Work could keep her busy from dwelling on things, too. But where could she work?

 

“Soo Min?” Jeonghan asked and snapped her out of it. “Is something wrong?”

 

“No.” She shook her head. “I was just thinking…” 

 

“Nothing bad, right?” He frowned. 

 

“No.” She said with a small smile. “Or at least I don’t think it’s bad. I was just thinking about whether I should get a job, so I’d have something to do during the day while everyone else is busy.” 

 

“That’s not a bad idea, to be honest. Do you have any idea what you’d like to do for work?”

 

“I’m not really sure.” She frowned and stared at the water in front of her. Part of her thought about working here at Pledis Cafe, since Seungkwan and Seokmin aren’t working this time around, but she’s also worried about working at the same place as Jeonghan… dating co-workers doesn’t really work well. Does his boss know she’s the one that’s been hogging up his employee’s time the most these last few months?

 

“Well, you know, there’s this flower shop that Won Woo’s been looking into for work. Maybe you can go with him when he gets around to it?” 

 

“Okay.” She thinks she can do that. “Sorry, I know we’re supposed to be on a date, but here we’re talking about other stuff…”

 

“That’s fine. I don’t mind, really.” He assured her with a warm smile. “As long as I’m with you, I’m happy.” Those words were enough to make her blush. “I can hear it now, the heart monitor going off…”

 

“Shut up.” She muttered and looked away, embarrassed. He only laughed at her expression, it was too adorable. Jihoon arrived with their food shortly after and they ate in comfortable silence. 

 

When they were finished, they decided to go for a walk. Jihoon said his friendly goodbye to them and then they were off. Soo Min initiated hand holding first, which got Jeonghan feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. Things were starting to feel like before, when they were happy. He held her hand tightly and flashed her a cute smile when she looked up at him. He could see her smile back and it was genuine before facing forward to watch where she was walking. They walked for a while until they came upon Han River. They took a break and sat down beside each other and looked out to the river. 

 

So much had happened since the last time they were there, together. It was bittersweet, the last time they were together, but this time they’re not. Sure, they’re on a date, but it’s different now. But it’s strange, it feels like they are together. One date down, three more to go. 

 

“Halmoni~!” They suddenly heard a little girl shout from behind them. Soo Min turned to see the little girl run up to an elder for a hug. It was a precious sight and she smiled, but she couldn’t ignore the heartbroken feeling she got seeing it either. Jeonghan noticed it as well and thought of what he could do to help? What could he do?

 

“Soo Min.” He caught her attention. “Would you like to go visit my Halmoni? She moved to Seoul last month to be closer to me and my parents.”

 

“Oh.” She seemed surprised that he even suggested it, and he worried if that was a stupid move, but seeing the sad smile spread across her lips and her agreeing to it relieved him. He did think it could help in a way, he’s not really sure how exactly, but maybe it could help.

 

Their date didn’t seem like a date anymore, Jeonghan doesn’t really care at this point, his main priority was to make sure she wasn’t upset when he leaves for work later. It’d surely bother him all night if he knew she wasn’t happy.

 

His grandmother’s place was close and the walk wasn’t long. The elder greeted them warmly and invited them inside. She was going to prepare them some tea, but Jeonghan insisted he do it for her, she can’t really say no to him, so she let him. It was just her and Soo Min in the living room, on the couch while a cheesy K-Drama was playing on the TV screen. The small house had similarities to the house back in Busan and Soo Min was feeling a little nostalgic. For a second, she felt like she was with her grandmother again, watching K-Drama on the couch. 

 

“Do you have any favorite dramas?” The elder asked and got Soo Min’s attention. She simply shook her head and explained she hadn’t been watching any lately, to which the elder recommended some for her to watch. That got Soo Min remembering that she promised to watch K-Dramas with Junhui back before she fled to Busan. I wonder if he watched them without me? It wouldn’t matter if he did, she’s just guilty for not keeping up that promise. 

 

Jeonghan returned with the tea moments later and his grandmother thanked him warmly. He asked what she had been up to and she sheepishly admitted she had been watching K-Dramas all morning. They were her new addiction and Soo Min couldn’t help but giggle at the elder’s cute expression when Jeonghan scolded her. His grandmother complained that she’s not young anymore, it’s getting harder to be active and suddenly Soo Min started to worry. She too… might die soon. Then she thought maybe it would be better if she didn’t get close to Jeonghan’s grandmother, she doesn’t want to lose someone a second time. But it’s a matter of time before everyone else die off too. Nothing lasts forever… her mind started to get dark again. 

 

Luckily, Jeonghan snapped her out of it when she stopped responding to their conversation. They could tell she was upset by the dejected look on her face. He wondered what she was thinking about just now, but maybe it wasn’t best to ask with his grandmother around. “Dear, if you’re not feeling well, you should go home and rest.” The elder said with genuine worry in her tone. “We can visit again another time.”


“I’m sorry.” Soo Min honestly didn’t mean to ruin the mood. “I’m just…” she’s just what? She couldn’t really put a word to it. She didn’t want to be too honest and worry the elder too much, but she didn’t want to lie too much either. 

 

“I understand, don’t worry.” The elder smiled. “Jeonghan told me what happened, I hope you can heal, but don’t push yourself either.” Soo Min really didn’t know what to say after that, she appreciated her understanding and that Jeonghan updated her on the situation. The words just wouldn’t come to mind and she was left speechless in a sense. “You’re welcomed here any time, Soo Min. Let’s have tea again soon, okay?” She managed to nod in agreement. That’s when Jeongan mentioned he’d take Soo Min home. He said goodbye, but all Soo Min did was wave. 

 

“Are you okay?” He asked on the walk home. He watched her struggle to say something, the look on her face just broke his heart. “I’m sorry, maybe I shouldn’t have brought you-”

 

“No!” She blurted out, cutting him off and even startling him. “Sorry, I just…” she trailed off again. “I just don’t know what to say anymore…” she admitted in a small voice. “I’m just thinking too much…”

 

“It’s pointless to say not to think too much, I know that.” He sighed. “I’m just worried about you. I’d hate to leave for work knowing you’re having a hard time…”

 

“I’m okay.” She assured him. “I’m just… thinking too much is all. I’ll find a distraction, so please… go to work and do your job.” She gave him a weak smile. “Sorry for ruining our date.”

 

“Like I said before, as long as I’m with you, I’m happy… don’t worry about it.” He said with a sincere smile and took one of her hands into his. “There’s always time for other dates later on anyway, I’m not too worried about it.”

 

“But I am.” She frowned. “What if something happens… and we can’t go on another date?”


“Like what?” 

 

“Like…” she didn’t want to say it. He wasn’t sure what she was getting at and wouldn’t unless she tells him. “Like if one of us gets into an accident… and doesn’t make it?” 

 

“So is that what it is? You’ve been thinking of things like that?” Now he was really worried about her. He supposed after losing her grandmother so suddenly like that, she feels like it could happen to anyone, and while it could happen to anyone, she’s dwelling on it too much. “I get it, the future isn’t set in stone. We don’t really know what will happen, but that’s why you have to live in the moment. If you waste too much time worrying about it, and something does happen, it might be too late…”

 

Once again, she stopped talking. He worried that maybe his tone was harsh, or his words were too harsh. He worried if she was even more upset now, she wouldn’t say anything and looked so dejected and hurt. “I’m sorry.” He apologized. “I don’t mean to make you think you’re feelings aren’t valid, they are! I just don’t want you to worry about it too much, to the point it affects you negatively…” she still wouldn’t say anything, she just stood there. “Soo Min?”

 

“I just…” she trailed off again. “I just don’t know what to say. I really don’t know what to say… but I understand what you’re saying.”

 

“Do you?” He really hoped she did understand. 

 

“I do.” She nodded. Then she knew what she wanted to say. “I’ll try to think more positively. I’ll try not to think like that anymore… I really don’t want to worry you. If you’re not happy… then I’m not happy.” She gave his hand a small squeeze. “Spending that much time alone… I’m just having a hard time expressing myself lately.” 

 

“That’s okay. You’re still adjusting. So just let everything fall into place like it should. Let life run its course. Focus on the good things. I’m here for you, okay?”

 

“Okay.” A smile reached her lips, she was in a better mood after the small talk. Communication is key, like she once said. “I promise… I’ll do better.” 

 

“I promise the same thing.” He smiled back. “Do you feel better now?” 

 

“Yes.” She nodded and he could tell she was being honest. Good. “Thank you.”

 

“Anytime!” He pulled her close for a hug. He could feel her hold onto him tightly and kept holding him when he tried to part. He held her just a little longer until she was ready to part from him. When she looked up at him, he took this chance to lean in and kiss her. It lasted a few seconds and he parted from the kiss only to see her slowly reacting to it and it made him chuckle. He couldn’t help himself and kissed her again, this time for a bit longer. He could feel her kiss him back and he enjoyed every second of it. 

 

Kissing Jeonghan really put her in a better mood and she wasn’t sure why, but she decided not to kill her brain trying to figure it out. He took her home after that and they held hands the entire way home. She was honestly feeling happier until he mentioned he needed to leave for work. It couldn’t be helped and she doesn’t want to keep him from his job either. She’d contradict herself after she scolded him about doing his job earlier. “I’ll be okay. I promise.” She believes it.

 

“I believe you.” He really does. “Eat a proper dinner, okay? Spend time with your family, focus on the good things.”

 

“I will.” She said with a soft smile. “See you again soon?”

 

“I’ll call you.” He nodded. “See you.” He leaned in and gave her a light peck on her lips before he turned to leave. As he was walking away, he bumped into her father coming home from work. He greeted him and told him he was just dropping off Soo Min, he had work in a bit so he was leaving to get ready for it. Her father thanked him for keeping his daughter company and he hoped to see him again soon. When Jeonghan was gone, her father came inside to see Soo Min sitting on the couch by herself surfing through the channels on the TV. 

 

“Welcome home.” She managed to say with a smile. 

 

“How are you doing?” He asked after putting his stuff away at the door and came to sit with her. “How was your day?” She thought of what to say for a moment before answering him. She mentioned that she and Jeonghan went on a date and the mere mention of that made her father happy and excited for her. He seemed like he had a lot of questions but restrained himself. Probably because he didn’t want to be too nosy or make her uncomfortable.Shortly after, her mother arrived home. 

 

She could tell her mother was in a good mood when she saw her and her father on the couch, talking. Given their situation before, it was nice to see they could be a family again. All that was missing was her sister, Min Hee. Soo Min started to think about her sister and wondered if she suggest inviting her over, but knowing she lives with Ren, unless they invite Ren too… maybe they shouldn’t bother them. At least, that’s how Soo Min felt and kept quiet about it. 

 

When dinner was ready, the three of them sat at the table and she listened to her parents talk about their days while she ate in silence. She could tell they were worried about her, so she decided to tell her mother about her date with Jeonghan, since she already told her father earlier. She also mentioned about getting a job. 

 

“You don’t need to work!” Her mother frowned. “We’ll take care of you!”

 

“I appreciate that, but… I don’t want to burden you.” Soo Min said with a small smile. “And I think it could help if I had something to do during the day when everyone else is busy. Spring semester is still months away, I’d like to save up for it so I can buy my books at least. And have lunch money…”

 

“I suppose it would be a good idea.” Her father seemed conflicted. “Well, just know that we’re here to back you up in case you find yourself short on anything.” 

 

“I’ll give you that at least.” Soo Min chuckled. The thought about Jeonghan helping her first before her parents came to mind and it amused her. Perhaps it’ll be Jeonghan vs her father later on, who can spoil her the most? That was a good thought to think about, nothing too sad and something that made her laugh.

 

“What is it?” Her mother asked when she saw her daughter laugh suddenly.

 

“Ah, nothing.” Soo Min was embarrassed and her parents couldn’t help but find it adorable. The rest of their dinner ended on a happy note, with everyone in good moods. 

Zm45RZQUxrHjYXGiqpSngeRs2P6Ntxy1WhYdqoeO

 

When she returned to her room for the night, she held onto the throw pillow her grandmother gave her before leaving for that fake cruise she talked about. She definitely couldn’t leave it behind. She sat there on her bed and thought about that horrible night, the night her grandmother passed away. She was sure the memory would haunt her forever. “Just don’t think about it.” She said aloud to herself. Jeonghan told her to think about good things. But it was no use, her mind betrayed her and started to replay everything that’s happened since leaving Seoul.

 

But one memory stood out the most, and that was her talk with her sister one night while she was visiting with the others…

Flashback...

 

“Are you okay?” Min Hee felt like she needed to ask. 

 

“I don’t know.” Soo Min replied quietly. “It’s still hard to believe it’s real.” 

 

“I know. I don’t think it’ll set in until the funeral is over with. But it’ll be okay, we’ll get through this, don’t worry.” 

 

“Thanks… Min Hee.” Soo Min managed a small smile towards her sister before patting the space next to her on the bed, it was late. “Let’s sleep.” Since their late grandmother’s room was being occupied with their parents, and the guest room was being occupied by Jeonghan, Jisoo and Won Woo, Min Hee was staying in Soo Min’s room tonight. 

 

“Right.” Her sister got settled next to her and gave her a warm smile. They spent a moment like that, looking at each other and Soo Min’s expression faltered, she was thinking about something. “What’s on your mind? Do you want to talk?” 

 

“It’s crazy.” Soo Min started to say and averted her eyes away to her hand resting beside her face, her open palm facing the ceiling. “It’s crazy how life can just… change like that. I never expected anything like this to happen and now it’s only made me think about what I’ve been doing, staying here and letting life move on without me while I drown in my self pity all by my lonesome. While everyone is out there, living their lives, I chose to stay away and closed myself off… what happens if something like this were to happen again? I know there’s a lot I’ve yet to say to most of you… it’s scary to think it could all just end like that.”

 

“It is scary, but don’t think about it so much, I know life is unexpected, but don’t let that scare you, okay?” Her sister reached over to rest her hand on top of hers. “I know it’s been rough between us… we’re not as close as we used to be and sometimes I wonder if we could ever go back to the old days. We’ve changed and grown up… maybe we don’t have a lot of time or maybe we do have time, we’ll never know honestly. So, you should just take it at your own pace, don’t rush anything. I’ll be patiently waiting for you to come back around.” 

 

“... I will come back soon.” Soo Min managed a small teary smile.

“Alright, I’ll be there waiting for you.” Min Hee gave her sister’s hand a small squeeze. “Goodnight, Soo Min.”

 

“Goodnight, Min Hee.” The two sisters were able to fall asleep peacefully next to each other, connected by their hands. They were able to have pleasant dreams that night, as if to make up for the horrible day they had earlier with figuring everything out. Waking up would truly be a nightmare in the end.

 

Back to the present...

 

Remembering the time spent with her sister, Soo Min got out of bed and headed downstairs for the front door as quickly as she could. “Where are you going at this hour?” Her father noticed her from the living room couch and was worried. She had a long day, he thought she’d be too exhausted to be going anywhere else tonight?

 

“I’m going to visit Min Hee.” She answered. “I’ll be back, don’t worry.” Once she had her shoes and coat on, she was out the door, still clutching her grandmother’s throw pillow. Fortunately, her parent’s house was a lot closer to Min Hee’s and Ren’s shared apartment and she made it in short time. She made it to their floor and slowed down when she approached their door. She really wanted to see her sister but those nervous feelings surfaced again and almost made her want to chicken out. 

 

“Soo Min?” She heard a familiar voice asked behind her and she turned to see someone standing a few feet away with a takeout bag in his hand. He definitely looked familiar but she wasn’t sure who she was looking at. “It’s me, Ren!” He frowned when he saw her looking at him in confusion, like he was a stranger and she was in danger. 

 

“Ren?” She gawked, she remembers the last time she saw him in August, he had dyed his hair black. It was still shoulder length at the time, too. “When did your hair get so long?! I was only gone two months?!” Can hair really grow that fast?!

 

“Almost three!” He corrected. Well, she supposed he already had a head start when it was at shoulder length. Seeing his long hair, she was amazed. She quickly snapped out of it and looked away. “What do you have there?” He asked after getting closer to properly greet her.

 

“Oh, it’s…” she was saying until she stopped, the words getting stuck in . The ache in her heart hurt. “It’s Halmoni’s favorite throw pillow. She gave it to me shortly before she passed away.” Ren immediately pulled her into a tight hug in hopes to comfort her, her arms were occupied by the pillow but he held her tight regardless and rubbed her back. She appreciated his comfort, he was so sweet to her despite everything that happened in the past. She was afraid things would always be awkward between them, but she’s happy to know they both have moved on and put it behind them. After a moment, the apartment door opened and Min Hee stepped out after noticing the scene. She was quite confused since she wasn’t sure who her boyfriend was hugging at the moment. There was a tinge of jealousy until Ren spoke. 

 

“Soo Min’s back.” He smiled and parted from her so she could greet her sister properly. 

 

“Soo Min!” Min Hee was happy to see her sister, of course, and pulled her into a tight hug, Soo Min just cried into her shoulder. “Why so many tears?!” Her sister laughed and fought the urge to cry, it wasn’t easy seeing her sister like this. 

 

“I missed you.” Soo Min sobbed. “I missed everyone.” Hearing those words finally got Min Hee and she let her own tears fall, happy tears at least. It was such a sweet moment that even Ren got a bit teary eyed watching the two sister reunite. He was glad to see how things have changed between them. He remembered Min Hee telling him all about her trip to Busan, how she and her sister spent time together. Their relationship still seemed rocky at the time, so it was a surprise to see Soo Min actually go out of her way to come see her sister and tell her how much she missed her. Back then, it seemed like that kind of Soo Min didn’t exist due to her issues with Min Hee.

 

“Come inside!” Min Hee wiped her tears and gestured for Soo Min to follow her into the apartment. Ren followed in behind Soo Min with the takeout that probably went cold from how long their greetings took, but it was fine, that’s what their microwave is for… Soo Min is more important than some takeout dinner, that’s for sure. “What’s this?” Min Hee pointed to the pillow her sister was holding. 

 

“She said it’s Halmoni’s favorite throw pillow.” Ren answered for her when she didn’t respond, possibly from fighting off another fit of tears. Talking about Halmoni was difficult, it hurt and she was sad. She misses her terribly and she was sure she always would. 

 

“Awh, take good care of it now, okay?!” Min Hee gave her a supportive smile.

 

“Actually…” Soo Min said softly and held the pillow over to her sister. “I was thinking… if you could hold onto it for me for a little while?”

 

“Why?” She asked and accepted it from her. 

 

“Well, I’m clearly an emotional wreck…” her sister said with a sad laugh when more tears spilled from her eyes. “I feel like having her pillow around right now is only going to make me cry every day. I don’t want to get rid of it either.”

 

“I understand.” Min Hee assured her with a warm smile. “I’ll hold onto it for you, no problem.”

 

“Thanks.” 

 

“Whenever you want to see it, let me know?” She held it tightly to her chest, just like her sister had. 

 

“Okay, I’ll do that.” Soo Min said and accepted the tissue Ren offered her. “I’ll be staying with mom and dad for a bit… I plan to get my own place in time. I’m not sure how long it will take, but I won’t rush it.” 

 

“That’s good, just take your time.” Ren rubbed her back again since he was seated next to her. “If there’s anything you need, don’t hesitate to ask either!”

 

“Thanks again, I appreciate it.” Soo Min managed a smile this time. “I’ll get going then, I just… wanted to come visit now that I’ve returned.”

 

“Visit anytime, okay?” Min Hee said with a look of hope.

 

“I’ll do my best.” 

 

“Text us when you get back so we know you got back safe.” Ren got up to open the front door for her. 

 

“I definitely will, my mom doesn’t need a visit from Chucky, please and thank you.” Soo Min snickered and stepped out. “Goodnight.” She said to the both of them who happily smiled and waved her off. 

 

“Lucky, at least she doesn’t have to live with Chucky.”

 

“Chucky has ears you know.” Ren pouted. 

 

“Made of silicone.” She rolled her eyes in reply and laughed when he nudged her. “If you joke around and put Chucky in our bed again you’re forever sleeping on the couch.” She warned him before walking away to find a place to put her late grandmother’s favorite throw pillow. “Halmoni, please protect me from my boyfriend’s spooky doll. If he dares scare me, please haunt him for the rest of his life.” Ren just chuckled in defeat. 


Chapter twelve…

 

wNInHPOdoLwFoCdXiX8Z6EWH9KljrcmBS4pWJA0VvYNGrvzGXQPlQ0g83x4_oOOLKaV1hk3Nvth9mP2Q4HVKKxLbK3c3WWzYPLprA8UkCzbp0bZ3sIU_vKqVfjgqbqDMHcics0ru

LOL, REN SHE GONNA KICK YOU OUT IN THE SNOW IF YOU DON’T STOP PLAYING AROUND.

av1TUMkSh5r3zn4fX1ibrg_dpcRuvoUPQjLgNmd_4XaypXdwZ-F-SLZk5AXOHsygbH9XXgZdR399pCU9-VanEt4DfF5z3eU75wi296JUY-Oy0ZqaYBGBNGxPpRbG_L3GMcDf4jyj

Not everyone likes Chucky, accept that.

7-XmKst29szR1ExvKVxl_qWNHzwK2prsTwCIvjRN1MIndd3cVpX5Ra5miYdvvJerKqRIpJpEIVJieKIFPsZLSCJ4nwMZI6A-JYpC9vOiVkdUsz2ivlkXiZm6zlEhTzOekKS-usy5

*0* I love OVERCOME era REN

But yeah I realized he could have that long hair by the time Soo Min came back, you know I had to lololololol

bGgRLXZTpjPekpz6MiLecmXF7NZWkikkofgc3AidaYOuKbiK39PEDtFGvhIzu49CZxMW82XJOi0qx6KjdyI88gUctK2DR00YkviWDdZWCJ7gCbjVrzpnQfXWkf61cGlJFUAga8Ra

This was pretty sad, I’m sorry… just got carried away when writing it back then.

9aRHyGHmLYWL8RD4Ib0hRhjwzUVUkWhRNPHyNo4KyEp83G48pbRreaZsPqp37BU3CBLFU34Cl4Zl0NIr98igl9VrnZD0eUm0BNUl2Ilyr_iHkF4oJROk0hC3UNDuKFwHSffUmIeQ

It’s probably going to get more sad before it gets happy honestly… I apologize for that too. Or it might change, we don’t know, I don’t even know so let’s be surprised together lol

WF3ZehWrxKccjtO5z2n7swESRAVhhB9l6IEUdLTVnKB3Ykv_uPqR0kdNDaKsobUqSDwt4ul4Bbmy9Ot367TRYFhI6P5ynZ89pe9RIlo4z8iVn4BeTefiMMAen7HklIDzaO_Gr2tO

Until next time~!

1EXpu6SBpPjXR0-pE9_FkcwpNLLGn65BLgBMQIOZDHbxazcCsO7PkTam1htP_8a45ZIi0HodzLglVuqhqzGrF8i4RH19DbSzcJ5v0ikmIENlg9RppxUkZw6sP6HFe6rTVbo9qQic

P.S Happy Four Year Anniversary to this fic… it’s still going… haha…

(Started June 24th 2015) I'm a little late... sorry LOL

I hope to start updating more again, please be patient with me OTL