Hard Truths

Don't Let Go

                By the time the pair reached Changsun’s estate, Amber was nearly completely twisted with frustration and fear.  His explanation of a ‘little distance’ took nearly three marks and it was getting toward mid to late afternoon by the time they eventually reached his home.  If she hadn’t been so worried about her family, she might have appreciated the fact that Changsun’s residence was three or four times the size of her own, the tower included.  And that was only just the house itself.  That didn’t even include the rest of the grounds that sprawled out around it in lush greenery and beautifully carved hedges and shrubs.

                Filled with one thought only, she ignored the small orchard, the neatly paved entryway that allowed for a carriage to actually circle around if needed, and the decorative flower bushes lining the front.  She barely blinked at the fact it had two floors and loomed over them as they approached.  Amber didn’t even pause to marvel at the stable peeking around the right side of the estate where a young stable boy was currently walking a beautiful, gray creature inside.  No.  Amber’s attention was on the door and the next step she needed to take to get home.

                She gave a slight start when Chansung pulled ahead, letting her hand go with a quick motion at her.  “Wait here.”  Before she could object, he went on, “I’ve got to see if my parents are home.  It won’t take me long,” he promised already climbing the steps and hastily trying to straighten himself out into a semblance of order.  He was sweaty, his robes were askew, and his hair had seen better days, but even as bedraggled as all that, he still had an air of confidence and a certain charismatic charm.

                “Hurry,” was all Amber said as she gripped the sleeves of her rumpled, dirty shirt with her fingers and stood in front of the house uncertainly.  He flashed her a quick, dimpled smile that did not have its usual effect on her and quickly ducked inside.

                Standing in the front of the estate, Amber glanced around and shifted from foot to foot.  A handful of people moved within sight, though most appeared to be workers.  One was hunkered over the hedges, another had a ladder and was climbing trees for fruit, and yet someone else near the back was returning from the edge of a large copse of trees with something hanging at his side.  None of them paid her much attention beyond a curious glance, for which she was grateful.  But time inexorably ticked by and it only made her more and more nervous with each moment that passed and Changsun remained inside.  She started fiddling with her necklace again and then jumped when the door finally burst open.

                “Let’s go!” Changsun announced as he ran down the stairs and snatched Amber’s hand to pull her along to the stable.

                “What?” she gasped in confusion, catching sight of a pair of young men shadowing him, one shorter than the other.  They didn’t look like Changsun’s parents…

                “My parents aren’t here.  They’re at the main estate in Bannersport.”

                Amber’s mind whirled with the revelation, though her feet followed along willingly.  He had more than one home?

                “But Hyesung’s watching over the estate in their stead and we can take a couple horses to go ourselves,” he explained further without looking back.

                The quick font of information only served to confuse Amber more, but the last part clicked and she shook her head with the slightest of embarrassed resistance.  “But I can’t ride.”

                Changsun paused long enough to look back at her with a perplexed expression, brows drawn down.  It was obvious he was wondering why not, but he shook his head and waved a dismissive hand.  “You can ride with me then,” he assured her, resuming his trek right into the stables with the two men following at their back.  Were they servants?  Guards?  Amber had no idea and she didn’t care to ask so long as things were happening.

                With a loud, “Boy!  My horse!” Changsun announced his arrival but the poor stable boy looked confused and lost.  At least until one of the two men waved his concern away and went to speak with him while the other peeled off to retrieve another horse himself.  Amber stood at Changsun’s side because he didn’t go to retrieve a mount and watched with wide, unblinking eyes.  Four horses of varying colors were quickly pulled out and geared up with saddles and bridles.  One of the guardsmen, as she eventually decided they were - based on the weapons at their hips, left for the house again, leaving the other to take care of things.

                “It’s gonna be alright,” Changsun offered with a gentle squeeze of her hand, finally interrupting her confused marveling.

                Focus restored, his soft words were enough to drive a spear of worry through Amber’s already trembling heart and she bit her lip hard to keep from crying in reaction.  “Of course,” she nearly choked out the response, brushing at her annoyingly loose hair with her free hand as she looked around.  She’d lost the ribbon in the madness and she missed its presence.

                “We’re taking four horses to trade out when mine tires from carrying double,” he pointed at the large, black spotted creature that was tossing its head.  “Sungmin’s gone to get the supplies for the journey,” he waved over his shoulder, “and Minho’s making sure the horses are good.”

                “And they’re…” Amber trailed off, still not entirely positive of their role.  She hadn’t even considered traveling with strangers.

                “My guards,” Changsun rolled his eyes in annoyance.  “Hyesung insisted.  That’s why it took me so long inside.  Sorry,” he apologized, flashing her a weak smile that she just couldn’t muster the energy to return.

                “It’s fine,” she waved off, looking away and towards the horses.  “I just need…”  Amber wasn’t sure exactly so she left the words hanging in the air and grabbed the necklace again, closing her eyes as she took a quick breath.

                “Horses are ready, Master Lee,” the dark haired man named Minho called, grabbing Amber’s attention with a surprised thump of her heart.

                “Good!” Changsun called back, waving for them to be brought outside so they could mount outdoors.  He pulled Amber along and she followed with her head perpetually glancing right and left.  Sungmin was returning with one large pack slung over his shoulder and another at his side and she flinched as one of the horses came up near them.  It was the black spotted one.  The beast was taller than her and had a peculiar smell that wasn’t unpleasant, but it was definitely different.

                “We should be able to make good time and rest at the waystation along the road,” the flaxen haired Sungmin announced as he threw the pack over the spare horse and nimbly climbed into the saddle.

                Minho held the reins of the spotted horse and looked expectantly at the pair.  “Our turn,” Changsun urged, climbing on first with rusty ease.  He wasn’t as fluid as Sungmin but it was obvious he’d done it before.  “Your next,” he added, leaning over with his hand outstretched.

                Amber took it hesitantly, confused how riding was supposed to work.  He mentioned some instructions but when it didn’t make immediate sense, Amber was further surprised by Minho stepping over to give her a boost up.  She did not exactly enjoy being hauled up with his hands on her waist just so she could sit behind Changsun in an awkward position that required her to hold onto him for support.

                “Why do I ride like this?” she asked in confusion, gripping to his waist as they started to move quickly, the bay colored spare traveling with Sungmin at the back.

                “Because it’s not proper otherwise,” he shot over his shoulder, as if that was just the way it was.

                Whatever questions she might have had disappeared under the sound of quickly moving hooves and snorting creatures.  Metal jangled and the saddle dug into her rear as they moved, jostling her bones with every stride.  Amber didn’t exactly know how this was supposed to work but it did not feel comfortable and there was no way she was going to ride for two days like that.  She suffered through almost a full mark before she eventually demanded they stop, much to Changsun’s confusion.

                “Proper or not, I cannot ride like this!” she huffed, approaching Sungmin with a determined expression.  “Can I borrow your short sword?” she asked, glancing at the blade at his hip meaningfully.

                “Amber!” Changsun gasped in a mildly confused tone.  Sungmin’s lips merely curled up into an amused smile and he shrugged as he removed the weapon from its sheath so she could use it.  To her relief, he didn’t try to caution her about its use.

                With little trouble, she split the fabric of her dress in the front and rear before she handed the blade back.  “Thank you,” she nodded once, returning to Changsun with the ruined layers of her dusty garb fluttering around her legs.  “Let’s try this again,” Amber stated, reaching an expectant hand up.

                Still flustered, Changsun did so and Amber was able to settle into place behind him with her legs on either side of the horse.  It was still awkward and it revealed more of her bloomers than she was accustomed to, but it was also much more comfortable than before.  Not to mention she stopped feeling as if she was going to fall off at any moment.  With that change taken care of, they were able to continue on without further interruptions.

                The countryside passed by in a relative blur.  Their horses were fast and the surrounding terrain was just as unfamiliar to Amber as before.  The dirt trail they were on currently was small and per Changsun, it would join with a larger one that would take them towards Karith.  The other direction veered towards Bannersport, a larger city towards the north that was several days away on horseback.  From here, Amber could see the beginnings of the mountains in the distance that would protect the city from one direction as it sat next to the sea.  She’d never seen either and didn’t care to just then.

                Her thoughts remained focused on the rolling hills they traveled over; the occasional forest path that cut through one of the thinner parts of the Eldren Woods that extended far to the south.  And since conversing with Changsun was difficult – the wind tore her words away and made it hard for him to hear unless she was yelling, she had plenty of time to think.  Their trek to his estate had been mostly silent and she’d only thought about getting back to her father and Seungho.  Now that they were on their way, her mind decided to pick over the memory of what had happened in greater detail.

                And so by the time they finally stopped to break for the night, she had more questions than answers.  Was it her fault the spell had gone out of control?  What spell had they been working on together?  How had it changed when she’d hit that stupid table?  What had her father seen that she couldn’t?  Why didn’t he or Seungho come with them?  Why hadn’t Seungho especially?  And what had he been trying to tell her before he’d let her go?  More importantly, what was she going to do when they got back to them at last?

                They’d finally hit the main road and while it was getting towards dark, there was a waystation, as the guards had called it, to sleep in for the night.  Amber was glad for the break.  She felt more tired than she cared to admit and hunger had finally crept upon her.  But getting off the horse and walking proved to be quite difficult and she stifled a cry as she fell against Changsun.

                “Careful,” he urged, looking a shade more steady than her.

                “I’m fine,” Amber bit her lip and forced herself to stand upright, using Changsun as support so she could take very tiny, hobbling steps.  No, she wasn’t, but she would be buggered if she was going to say that riding a horse could stop her.

                Still, both Amber and Changsun huddled together as they watched the practiced and lean guards take care of things for the evening.  They gathered wood for a fire, Minho set a snare, and then Sungmin skinned the hopper they caught before it got too late.  Travel rations were passed out, thick bread wrapped around dried meat and nuts, to help ease the pangs of hunger until the hopper was ready.  Minho took care of the horses and tethered them nearby so they could eat their fill.  He made sure to water them at the trough around the back while Sungmin took care of the humans in their midst.

                Amber felt a little bad about not helping at all.  She was usually the one preparing meals and taking care of the boys, but it was hard to muster up the energy to care.  Her body complained at everything, her stomach was empty, her heart ached, and her mind would not stop with the questions she couldn’t answer.  She simply stared at the crackling fire, fighting sleep until supper was ready.  Then she devoured her share and attempted to clean the worst of the mess off herself, but promptly passed out from a combination of the day’s effects.

                In the morning, she was awakened on a cot inside the waystation by the guards.  Changsun was sleeping on the other cot nearby, still wearing his robes from the other day.  Then again, she didn’t have room to speak and when she tried to get up, she discovered she hurt more than she had the other day.  Silence was her best friend as she coped with painful soreness and went about her morning business, trying to get ready for another day of hard riding.  Changsun wasn’t much better off.  Misery hovered over them both like a raincloud about to downpour.  But they moved along with the patient if somewhat bemused assistance of the guards.

                Amber at least was grateful for their presence since neither she nor Changsun would have been much use alone.  It was their efforts that got them through the morning meal, on horseback, and traveling once again.  They passed the occasional travelers along the way but all moved for them in their haste and they did not stop save to take necessary breaks and feed and water the horses.  Amber and Changsun had to change mounts halfway through the day, but then they continued on without delay.

                Another night came and went with them sleeping under the partially cloudy stars – since no waystation appeared this time.  The incoming cover heralded possible rain on the morrow.  The sleeping roll was no comfort but despite that, rest was not hard to find for either of them.  And as promised the previous evening, a miserable drizzle settled in during breakfast, gradually soaking into their clothes and hair and everything else.  They were so close to her home that Amber didn’t even care.

                Their small, tired party broke camp again and continued on as normal.  The terrain was familiar to Amber once again and her eyes strained through the misty gloom to catch sight of Karith and her father’s tower.  But… neither appeared.

                Craning her head around with dark eyes squinting through the pitiful rain, Amber blinked in befuddled confusion.  “This should be Karith,” she murmured as they walked the horse through the large patch of cleared ground where no grass grew.  That was the village center and she could see the outlines for various buildings, even if they were blurred from the water.

                “But there’s nothing here,” Minho frowned from the rear, looking around with slightly clearer eyes.

                “No, but there should be,” Changsun seconded Amber, his voice evidencing the confusion that was obvious on his face.

                “Where are the buildings?  Where are the people?” Amber demanded, clinging to Changsun as she leaned to either side so she could see better.  She wasn’t fool enough to try and get off the horse but it was nearly impossible to see around Changsun.

                “I don’t know,” the Journeyman admitted with a shake of his head, the damp strands lightly swiping at Amber’s face.  “Hyah!” he urged, kicking the original spotted horse into a trot as they headed towards where the house and tower should be.

                “I can’t see the tower,” Amber swallowed hard, peering around Changsun with desperate eyes.  Her grip tightened on his waist as she refused to contemplate what that might mean.

                “I know,” he echoed, patting her hand with his as they followed the small, partially overgrown path that Amber always took.  But still, no tower or house appeared before them and they arrived at a patch of strangely empty ground as well.

                “They’re supposed to be here,” Amber whimpered as panicking tears started to prick her eyes.  Changsun didn’t say anything.

                “It doesn’t look like anything is here,” Sungmin commented this time, scratching his head at the odd markings on the ground that looked as if something should have been present.

                “Changsun,” Amber whispered, staring at the blank area.  “Where are they?”

                He shook his head and took a breath.  “I don’t know.”

                “No,” she croaked in denial, sliding off the horse awkwardly.

                “Amber!”

                She cried out when she hit the ground, her legs buckling involuntarily as she fell to the damp, muddy surface.  “Father!  Seungho!” she cried out as the horse sidestepped away from her, leaving her to crawl towards the space where her house should be.

                “Amber, stop!” Changsun called out, waving at the guardsmen who were better able to respond than he was.

                She ignored him and managed to reach the edge of where she was sure the house was supposed to be.  There was even the outline of the rain barrel at the corner of the space; and the small garden plot that was empty of any growth.  “Where are you?!” she screamed, yanking the necklace off and holding it tight in her hand.

                “Help me down,” she heard Changsun behind her but she didn’t look.  Nor did she look when a hand pressed against her shoulder – one of the guardsmen.

                “No,” she waved her arm, brushing them off.  “You were supposed to be alright,” Amber shuddered, grabbing her dress with the hand holding the necklace.  “Seungho,” she pleaded with a whisper of sound as she rocked on the ground, her free hand keeping her upright.  “Father,” she keened in a low voice, ineffectively fighting the lump threatening to close .  “Don’t do this to me,” she begged while tears made their way down her cheeks.  “Don’t leave me too,” she finally broke, feeling the weight of everything pressing in on her.

                “Dammit Seungho,” she heard Changsun mutter, the sound hard to make out around her grief.  Feet squished over the ground and then he was kneeling there beside her, both legs folded under as he stared at her.  “Some kind of magic,” he explained in a tight voice that shook slightly.

                “I know,” Amber sniffed and hiccupped while her fingers dug rivets in the soft ground.  “Just like before.”

                “No,” Changsun coughed, trying not to cry.  “This is different.  Bigger.  Something else,” he explained with a shake of his head.

                “They’re gone, Changsun!” Amber snapped at him, sitting upright to glare at the Journeyman with pained eyes and heartache.

                His face was a mask of hurt too, but his eyes were unfocused as he actively thought instead.  “It was only supposed to be a scrying spell.  Modified with portal enhancement… see between spaces… piece was wrong… unstable but under control and you came.”

                “What are you talking about?!” Amber yelled at him, confused by the mutterings he spoke under his breath.

                “I’m trying to understand!” he cried, turning angry eyes on her.  “We could have had it but now I don’t know!” he yelled, pulling at his hair in frustration.

                Amber’s face drained of color and covered with her hand, looking around in horror.  “This is my fault.”

                “No,” he immediately denied, but then frowned and nodded.  “Yes.  Oh mage fires, I don’t know!” Changsun changed his mind, breathing hard and fighting obvious tears.

                “This is my fault… and I can’t fix it,” Amber exhaled, feeling sick to her stomach as her breathing turned uneven.  “I can’t cast magic- I can’t fix- I can’t bring them back…  Changsun, what have I done?” she whimpered, reflexively reaching to grab his robe, anchoring herself with his presence.

                He grabbed her hand in his and met her eyes, the pain equally reflected between them.  “I can cast,” he breathed in short gasps.

                Hope flickered in Amber’s eyes and she grabbed his robe in both hands pulling herself closer.  “I have to get them back,” she admitted as her bottom jaw trembled.  “Help me?” Amber pleaded, searching Changsun’s face with desperate, leaking eyes.

                Like a ray of sunshine, he nodded quickly enough.  “I will try,” Changsun sniffed, hiccupping on the sobs he couldn’t hold back any longer himself.

                “Thank you,” Amber sobbed, finally letting herself simply fall against his chest as she hid her face in the folds of his robes and cried.  “Thank you, thank you, thank you,” she mumbled over and over again, feeling lost and trapped and guilty and useless, but with Changsun, there was hope.  And she clung to it with all her strength like she clung to him in the rain.

                “Of course I’ll try,” he cried above her, folding her into the circle of his arms as he rested his head against hers.

 

(a/n: Finally managed to find some time to scrounge this together.  Things are taking a definite shift, though I did anticipate this.  haha  I'll do my best to keep things moving smoothly in the future.  I've got some time coming up and I hope to make some progress for sure!)