Epilogue

Don't Let Go

                Awkward.

                Amber and Changsun’s relationship was awkward when they finally reached his estate.  Granted, it was due in no small part because his parents were in residence, fleeing the colder weather of the north to rest in relative warmth further south.  Some of that awkwardness was assuaged when the Lees were reassured that no, their only son was no longer set upon marrying the Master Mage’s otherwise title-less daughter, but they were unsure of how to act in their new roles.

                Old habits did not entirely disappear and some touches still made Amber’s stomach flip, but considering they were only going to stay for a couple days to get ready for the longer journey, it was a discomfort they both figured they could get through.  It didn’t hurt that Amber was further able to distract herself with the friends she’d missed when things had gone so very wrong so many months ago.

                Soonkyu was practically beside herself when Amber arrived, flitting around the kitchen frantically and trying hard not to cry.  And both her girls fully insisted upon clinging to Amber’s legs so that she couldn’t walk with any degree of ease.  Hyesung was far more collected in his greeting, but his happiness was easy to see dancing in dark brown eyes.  And Taemin was like a giddy young man, drunk off too much wine; he babbled and laughed in a slightly higher pitch than normal and didn’t quite know when to stop talking.  Jungsu and Jinki made brief appearances, as did the present runners in residence.

                Not surprisingly, Amber was far more comfortable in their company than that of Changsun’s mother and father.  To their not so subtle dismay, when given the chance, Amber asked Soonkyu to help her cut her hair.  The shorter locks felt more her anyway, and somewhat delightfully, her ‘room’ still had clothes in it since Changsun had refused to clear them out in her absence.  Everything was a shade too big for her and she grimaced at that fact, but she cinched the pants tighter with a belt and bunched the shirt to make it work.  Back in her ‘men’s’ clothes, Amber felt comfortable again.

                Standing in front of the mirror, she appraised herself with one corner of her lip caught between her teeth.  Too thin and a bit scarred, the haircut and the clothes at least made up for what time and food and rest would otherwise fix.  She jumped slightly when she heard Changsun come in quietly.

                “Hey,” he greeted, padding over to stand behind her as she looked at him over her shoulder in the reflection.

                “Hey,” she called back, frowning at herself as much as she frowned at him.  He needed more food and rest too.  When he placed his hands on her waist, she gave him a wry look.  Grabbing his hands in hers, she pulled them free and held that at her sides instead.  “You know better,” Amber chided.

                “I know,” he winked, pulling free with a wistful sigh.  He plopped himself down on her bed and leaned forward with his elbows on his knees.  “You ready for tomorrow?” he asked, peering up at her with a hint of nervousness in his eyes.

                Amber smoothed the front of her shirt down with slender hands before she turned and took a deep breath.  “As ready as I’m going to be,” she promised, forcing a smile to her face.

                He chewed his lip and raised his hands up in a half-hopeful gesture.  “You can stay, you know.”

                With a bittersweet smile, Amber dropped her gaze and nodded once, clasping her fingertips together.  “I know.”

                “But you won’t,” he added for her, forcing a broad grin and getting to his feet with more energy than usual.

                “No,” Amber confirmed, looking at him from under her eyelashes, the subdued expression still in place.

                “Which is why I’m going to Bannersport with you,” he flashed her a cheeky grin and Amber frowned in puzzled confusion.  “Oh, don’t be so excited about it,” he rolled his eyes, waving her reaction off.

                “Sorry,” she laughed when she realized how that must have looked.  “I just figured you’d come back here when you were done,” she admitted.

                “Eh, that’s what my parents want,” he conceded.  “But!” he announced, pointing his finger in the air above his head.  “Master Chungjae has requested my presence back at the capital,” he grinned like a cat who had found the cream.

                “But I thought he was your teacher?” Amber blinked as she tried to connect the pieces.

                “Was,” Changsun winked, practically dancing in place.  “I spoke with him this morning through a scrying bowl and he confirmed that since I was going that way anyway, he wants me to stay as his equal and research assistant regarding the events I helped us get out of recently,” he preened.

                Amber beamed at him, clapping her hands together once as she didn’t know what to say at first.  “That’s wonderful news, Changsun!” she exclaimed, giving an awkward, excited jump.

                “So I will be rooming with Master Chungjae and you will be staying with the High Mage.  In the castle no less,” he nodded with a partial grimace.

                At his announcement, her eyes widened and the color drained from her face.  “The castle?”

                “Yep.  With all the lords and ladies and nobles and everything fancy,” he nodded, delighting just a little bit in her shock.

                “I thought I would just be in the city somewhere,” she admitted in a flat tone of voice while her face continued to reflect her surprise.

                “Nope,” Changsun chirped, stepping close enough to tap her on the nose with one long index finger.

                She flinched at the contact and then glared at him.  “You’re enjoying this far too much,” she pouted, crossing her arms over her chest.

                “Maybe,” he winked, straightening up as he took a breath and rather quickly composed himself.  “But… there is something else,” he admitted, turning serious in a way that made Amber’s stomach knot of its own accord.

                “What?” she trailed off, mouth quirked to the side in a preemptive grimace.

                “Seungho’s in Bannersport,” Changsun admitted in a soft voice, all enthusiasm gone for the moment.

                “Seungho?” Amber gasped in surprise as her arms unfolded to relax at her side.

                She opened to ask another question but Changsun held up his hand to forestall her.  “When the High Mage came down from his tall and mighty tower, he went to Seungho first.  It wasn’t hard to convince him to go to Bannersport to continue his training while also being subject to any additional testing considering the nature of his… imprisonment and enchantment.”  Changsun’s mouth twisted distastefully at the phrasing.  “It doesn’t hurt the Crown offered to take care of his family if he agreed,” he shrugged, scratching the back of his head with a troubled look as he glanced at Amber.

                “So… he never got my letters, did he?” Amber asked, brow furrowed as she thought about it.

                Changsun shrugged and exhaled.  “Chungjae didn’t say but… it’s possible and actually probable, all things considered.”

                “Does he know we’re coming?” she asked, taking a half-step towards him.

                “Not… yet,” he mused, tapping his bottom lip with a finger.  “But he should soon.”

                Amber was strangely nervous by the thought.  Of course she’d been wondering how he was and why he hadn’t answered, and now she had a reason for the second part.  But what would it be like to see him again?  And why hadn’t he asked her father to finish his training?  Had his feelings for her changed?  Or would it even matter?  What would she do if-

                Snapping fingers in her face made her jump.  “Amber,” Changsun called, laughing at the blank expression on her face.  “You’re thinking too much,” he prodded, lowering his head to be at eye level with her.

                “Probably,” she agreed with a tight sigh.

                “We’ve got time to figure it out.  You know the journey will take around two sevendays anyway,” he soothed, grabbing one shoulder and giving it a light squeeze.

                “Yeah…” Amber trailed off, still not sure what to think about it.

                “Come on, you,” Changsun urged, grabbing her other shoulder to spin her around and drag her outside.  “Let’s go try your new clothes out in the riding ring to help get your mind off of things.  Or I’m sure the guys wouldn’t mind sparring with you,” he teased, pulling the door shut behind him.

                Amber managed a sideways glare at him and smirked, “I wouldn’t mind sparring you in the ring.”  Right now, they were both probably at the same level anyway.

                “Maybe,” he wrinkled his nose at her, slinging an arm over Amber’s shoulder as they moved along the halls.  Amber laughed at his response and shook her head, grateful all the same for the distraction.  She was going to need it if she had any chance of sleeping that night.

 

                The journey to Bannersport passed by relatively uneventfully.  It was cold; they encountered snow about halfway through the trip; and very few souls dared to brave the roads in the depths of winter.  Marshalling her strength, and her nerves, Amber spent the majority of it inside the carriage, talking with Changsun and either Sungmin or Minho, the latter two who took turns driving.

                They paused at various times during the day, giving all of them a chance to walk around, take a break, and eat when needed.  At night, they huddled around a fire for warmth, buffered by the warding spell Changsun put up to fend off the worst of the cold.  And before the night was over, Amber would practice sparring with Minho or Sungmin, gently testing the limits of her body and trying to remember what she had lost in the eight months since she’d disappeared.  As she practiced, she could feel Changsun watching her with nervousness and pride, observing all the steps she was taking to find herself again with care.

                Not surprisingly, things between her and Changsun were still sometimes awkward, but he was trying to accept their new relationship as much as she was.  If he stared at her too long, Amber merely distracted herself with one of the other guards or gave him a look with one brow raised.  The latter was infinitely more effective and he would laugh at himself, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment.

                Of course, he wasn’t the only one staring.  Amber still found him very attractive.  And she could still remember the way being with him felt.  But she also remembered where that path had led them both.  Even if those had been different times and different circumstances, she didn’t want to go that way again.  Not if it meant she might lose herself like before.  Maybe one day, things would change but, lightly holding his hand in the carriage, Amber knew he was like a bright star in the night sky.  In the world they were heading into, she could never match his brilliance.

                The evening before they reached Bannersport, their group camped within sight of the massive city.  Amber stared in absolute wonder at the massive, sparkling structure spanning the foot of the overshadowing mountains.  Torchlights danced in the distance like little lantern bugs, giving the city a playful appearance amidst the backdrop of the dark stone and nestled in powdery, white fluff.  Her breath plumed in front of her as she exhaled in open mouthed awe.

                “Still think you’re ready for this?” Changsun asked with a wry twist of his mouth as he came to stand beside her, their shoulders nearly touching.

                “No,” Amber laughed in an immediate, chagrined response as she shook her head.  “But I’ll be alright,” she admitted, wrapping her covered fingers around Changsun’s gloved hand as she looked up at him.

                “You are you after all,” he reminded her softly, the corners of his mouth turning up.

                “And you’re here with me,” she added, squeezing once.  “Thank you.”

                Changsun sighed and for a moment, he didn’t say anything.  But then he stepped close and pressed a light kiss on the side of Amber’s head.  “You’re welcome,” he murmured, shifting to rest his chin atop her hair.  Amber looked upwards with a bemused expression and laughed softly.

                None of them slept all that well.  In the morning, they ate their morning meal, broke camp, and got ready to finish the last leg of their journey.  Nervous but determined, Amber allowed Changsun to give her a leg up when she was ready to head out on Merry.

                “Are you sure you want to ride into Bannersport?” Changsun questioned as he placed his hand on her thigh while she settled into her saddle.

                “Of course,” Amber nodded with determination, gripping the reins tightly in her gloved hands.  “I’ll not have them think I’m some lady riding in a carriage,” she explained with a grimace.  “They’d see through it soon enough anyway,” she reminded him with a mirthless laugh.

                “Lady or not,” Changsun snorted with a glance towards the city.  “You’re still just as good as any of them.  If not better,” he added with a knowing looking towards Minho and Sungmin, both of whom nodded in emphatic agreement.

                Amber gave him a relieved smile but held her tongue.  She didn’t know what to say anyway and she found that her belly was all manner of tied into knots with nerves.  “I can do this,” she told herself with a small breath.

                “Just stick close to me,” Changsun called as he swung into Andante’s saddle, almost as if he’d heard her.  “You’ll be fine,” he winked, patting his horse’s white shoulder before he nudged him over closer to Amber.  Andante was a fair bit larger than Merry so the height difference was significant, but Amber did feel more confident with both at her side.

                With no more words of reassurance, they finally set off.  One length at a time, Bannersport grew in size and Amber could begin to make out more details.  A large wall spanned the entirety of the city, promising to keep trouble out.  Several buildings rose up as tall as or taller than the barrier, peering over the edge like playful children waiting to throw snowballs at them.  When she voiced her observation, Changsun explained the ones at the wall were defense towers while the buildings within were residences or extravagant establishments.

                It took her a little longer to recognize the castle and she frowned when she didn’t immediately understand why.  Set just in front of the mountain with polished stone walls and towers itself, in a smaller version of the larger city, it should have been utterly obvious.  But then the image flickered as if passing behind some kind of screen and she jerked in surprise, looking at Changsun.

                “Magic,” he grinned, apparently proud she’d been able to notice.

                “Oh,” she hummed in astonished understanding.

                “The High Mage keeps a constant barrier of protection around the castle, hiding it from view.  Usually, it works right up until you get into the city,” Changsun chuckled, his eyes dropping to the necklace Amber was wearing under her cloak.  She glanced down too and had to wonder if it was letting her see through the enchantment as well.

                Still in awe of the sheer size of the city, Amber fell silent as they continued to get closer to the main gates.  Changsun rode ahead to clear their passage and they were able to go inside without question.  Amber saw four guards on duty at the gate, all wearing full plate mail with halberds and dark cloaks bearing the symbol of King Eric: a shield with interlocking swords behind it while proud wings flared on either side and a noble falcon’s head looked on in profile from the top.

                Then they were past and snow capped, brick buildings were rising around her.  Large, glass windows yawned from within the walls and gave glimpses into smaller, self-contained worlds.  The occasional face peered out, foreign and familiar at the same time.  On the streets, only a few people dared the cold in this area but they were bundled under so many layers as to be almost unrecognizable.  Too concerned with staying warm, most hardly spared her a second glance or acknowledged Amber at all.

                Further in, the steady clip clop of the horses’ hooves began to fade out under the sound of rising voices.  Amber’s eyes widened when they reached a center square that put Karith’s to shame.  Larger than the entire village, the open space was filled with people and stalls, all wearing all manner of clothing in various styles and colors.  Businesses stood out with bright hued canvas covers and overhangs protected the customers from the threat of snowfall.  Here, Amber’s appearance caused a bit of a stir, but not much since her riding cloak obscured most of her person anyway.  As before, she could pass as a scrap of a boy, and a smile tugged at .

                Under the threat of the horses, crowds parted with practiced ease and the veritable sea of people flowed around them like it was any other day.  For them, it probably was.  And then they were through the throng and moving on towards the castle where two towers that looked similar but much larger than her father’s rose on either side.

                “That’s the High Mage’s tower on the right,” Changsun pointed out as he leaned closer to Amber.  “And that’s the Mage’s College on the left,” he further explained with a smile.

                “Oh,” she blinked in wondrous awe, looking between the two.  At least that much would be somewhat familiar.

                As they drew nearer the castle, Amber could see how the buildings began to change, shifting to give more space to each individual structure.  The quality was better and the buildings taller and more secure.  She could practically smell the money in them.  Even fewer people were on the streets here, though it appeared as if there were some servants or messengers running quickly between the houses.  Amber spared them a sympathetic look and then her lips as the castle approached in the front.

                It was one of the most singularly intimidating structures she thought she’d ever seen before: a veritable fortress of protection and impenetrability.  She might have marveled at it longer had she not noticed the single young man pacing at the right side of the overly large, iron-wrought, wooden gate.  Foolishly, his hood was down but it allowed her to see familiar strands of blonde hair sticking up in the frosty air.  He chafed his hands and blew misty breaths into his palms, obviously trying to stay warm.  Amber had to wonder how long he’d been out there for.

                Upon hearing the sound of approaching horses, his head shot up and he turned towards them.  A blinding smile appeared on his scarred face, indescribable joy lasting for an instant before fading into hesitant uncertainty.  He swallowed once and took a step closer as the small caravan drew near, dark eyes jumping between Changsun and Amber.

                The carriage stopped behind them, allowing the riders to move forward.  Amber could feel both men looking at her and she was more than grateful when Changsun was the first to speak.  “Seungho!  You look like a half-frozen carcass!” he jeered with a forced smile and a flamboyant gesture.  “Don’t they know how to keep you warm or well fed?” he demanded with amused crossness.

                Tension broke like the ice over a lake and Seungho laughed with a bright smile.  “I could ask the same of you!” he called back, focus on Changsun, though his eyes darted to Amber frequently.

                She sat frozen on Merry as Changsun dismounted and moved to clasp hands firmly with Seungho, the display both a greeting and a seeming contest of wills for the briefest of moments.  “You are terrible at communicating, sir,” the taller of the two chided, his dimpled smile obvious in his voice.

                “I… know,” Seungho cringed, ducking his head between his shoulders as he looked over Changsun’s shoulder at Amber again.

                From afar, she drank in the sight of him, marveling at how three years had settled over his frame.  He didn’t seem to be that much taller but there was a certain aged quality to him that made him feel older than he actually was.  Maybe it was his eyes.  Or it could have been the faded claw marks on his face that gave him a more grizzled appearance, but like her and Changsun, Seungho still had some of the haunted look they were both trying to banish in turn.

                “Welcome to Bannersport?” he greeted as if it was a half-hearted question.

                “Aye.  And glad to be here,” Changsun agreed with a glance at the Mage’s College, a fond smile tugging at his mouth.

                Seungho nodded in acknowledgement and then finally turned his full attention to Amber, nervousness still obvious in his features.  “Hello Amber,” he waved tentatively.

                “Hi,” she waved back, a similarly hesitant gesture.  For a moment, she felt frozen in place and she was afraid she wouldn’t be able to get off her horse.

                Fortunately, Changsun seemed to sense her trouble and returned to her side with a crooked smile at Seungho, who appeared as if he still didn’t know how to act either.  “My lady,” Changsun teased as he grabbed her around the waist and slid her off Merry, lowering her to the ground gently.

                “I’m not a lady,” she grumbled at him, laughing all the same when she brushed her cloak off and looked up to meet Seungho’s gaze from afar.  He glanced between them questioningly and it became clear to Amber that he didn’t know how things stood between any of them.

                Changsun put a gentle, guiding hand against her back and together they approached Seungho again.  When she got closer, Amber could see that he still wore the effects of their most recent adventure.  Much like they did.  He was a little thinner and a little taller, with circles under his eyes too, but… he was still the Seungho she remembered from before everything had happened.  Hidden in the shadows of his eyes, she could see remnants of the beast.  But here, right now, he was all man; no hint of the monster otherwise remained.

                A warm, teary smile grew on her face and Amber stepped close to throw her arms around his neck, hugging him tight.  He gasped in surprise and froze for a brief moment before he hugged her back, resting his chin against her shoulder.  She buried her face into his neck and whispered, “It’s good to see you again.”

                “You too,” he confirmed, taking a shaky, deep breath.

                Slowly, it felt as if everything was actually returning to the way it should be, and Amber was reluctant to let go of that moment.  But Changsun had other plans, “Alright, you two!”  With chagrined smiles, they pulled away and turned to look at him, their hands brushing against each other as they stood side by side.  “We have arrived!  It’s cold!  And I’m going inside to warm up,” he announced with a nod towards the Mage’s College.

                Puzzled, Seungho frowned and glanced at Amber before looking back at Changsun.  “You’re not coming with us?”

                Changsun scoffed and waved his hand dismissively.  “I wasn’t invited to the High Mages tower,” he winked with a fake grimace.  “Besides!  I’ll see you around anyway.  Chungjae wants me here so you aren’t getting rid of me that easily,” he scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at Seungho.

                “Good,” Seungho laughed easily.  “I’m probably gonna need someone to help me with these exams,” he groaned, rolling his eyes in good-natured humor.

                “Feh,” Changsun snorted as he threw his hand at Seungho.  “You were always better at books than I was anyway.”  Turning to the carriage and moving to retrieve Andante, he called out, “Minho!  Sungmin!  We’re heading inside.  You know where the stables are,” he waved with a dismissive air.

                “Aye, sir!” they called back, eager to be out of the cold themselves.

                As they were leaving, Changsun turned to focus his attention back on Seungho though.  “I won’t be far, but… you better watch over her, Seungho,” he stated sincerely, glancing at Amber who gave him a grateful smile in response.

                Seungho swallowed at the command and looked down to see Amber raising her eyes to meet his gaze.  She nodded at him encouragingly and he focused on Changsun again.  “Of course I will.”

                “If you don’t, I will curse you,” he mock threatened with a finger pointing at the Mage in training.  “You know I can,” he reminded him.

                “Oh Mage fires,” Seungho laughed, nodding his head before he stepped away from Amber’s side to pull Changsun into a brotherly embrace.  “Thank you,” he murmured, pounding him hard on the back.

                “You’re welcome,” Changsun chuckled, giving Seungho one hard slap in return, making the other man wince.  “See you around, Amber,” he waved with a dimpled smile that held a hint of sadness in it.  She waved in response and watched as he retrieved Merry’s reins and moved to follow after the carriage with both horses in tow.

                Left alone with Seungho in front of the castle gates in the cold air of Bannersport, Amber felt entirely out of place.  When nothing else came to mind, she simply blurted, “You look good.”

                Seungho laughed and a faint dusting of color appeared on his cheeks as he moved closer.  “So do you,” he returned, stopping short just in front of her.

                He didn’t shy away when she raised a tentative hand to trace her fingers against his scars.  “I thought they might have faded more,” she admitted with a shrug.

                He caught her right hand and rested his fingertips against the middle of her palm.  “No more than yours.”

                Amber laughed once and nodded, pulling her hand away from his face to press against her chest where the necklace was.  “Father fixed it for me.  Before I left,” she smiled fondly, blinking in surprise when Seungho reacted to her statement.

                “Oh yeah!” he exclaimed, still holding onto her with one hand while he fished in his pocket with the other.  “Here,” he smiled softly, dropping something small into her open palm.  When he pulled his hand away, she could see it was the wire strawman.  It was burnt and discolored, but she could feel a hint of magic in it.

                “You kept it,” she smiled, picking it up to peer at it closer with her free hand.

                “I thought about making a new one but I thought this one had more meaning,” he explained with a shrug.  “Figured I should give it back after I fixed it and all.”

                “Thank you,” Amber beamed, closing her fingers around it as she rose up on her tip toes to kiss Seungho on the cheek.

                He ducked his head in flushed embarrassment, making Amber blush in turn.  “You’re welcome,” he grinned, tightening his hold on her hand gently.  “Would you like me to show you the High Mage’s Tower now?” he asked, nodding his head towards the nearby looming structure.

                “I suppose that would be a good idea,” she agreed, taking a deep breath as she her lips and faced the intimidating building.  “Since we’re both going to be here, maybe I can be your helper for some things,” she suggested hesitantly, wondering how he’d respond and if that would even be allowed around whatever the High Mage wanted with her.

                “No,” Seungho responded with a smile that confused Amber.  “If you’re going to be anything, it will be my equal,” he promised, clasping her hand in both of his.

                “But I can’t cast magic,” she reminded him with wrinkled nose.

                “That never stopped you before,” he stated simply, looking into her eyes with quiet confidence and a warm smile.

                Amber felt familiar butterflies begin to flutter in her stomach.  “True,” she conceded as they started to walk towards the tower.  “Did you know the villagers have started calling me the Tamer of the Beast?” she asked with a teasing smile.

                “Have they now?” Seungho laughed in amused delight.

                “I don’t know that it fits anymore since you’re a Master Mage in training again,” she admitted, patting his shoulder with a bright smile.

                “Soon to be Master Mage,” he promised her confidently.

                “Indeed,” she laughed, walking close enough to brush his shoulder with hers.

                Seungho shrugged and glanced down at her.  “No matter what you’re called: Tamer of the Beast, Master Mage’s daughter, Lady, or anything else, you will always be Amber to me.”

                “Yeah?” she questioned curiously, giving him a sidelong glance out of the corner of her eye.

                “Yeah,” he confirmed, threading their fingers together more comfortably as they walked into the tower side by side.

                “Good,” Amber responded while the doors closed quietly behind them.

 

The End

 


(a/n: I never know how to feel after typing those two words.  Happy, sad, joyous, fulfilled... there's a lot of things that go along with it and it's safe to say I'm feeling most of them in this sense as well.  This has certainly been an interesting adventure for me and I've truly enjoyed trying to make the story and the characters come to life.  I can only hope that I have succeeded in some measure and that now, at the end of things, all my loose ends have been tied up and we can reasonably imagine what might happen next.

I will say that I greatly appreciate all my readers but I must give special acknowledgement to my commenters.  You guys have truly helped me to stay inspired and continue when things might have gotten difficult on my end.  Your feedback and your words often give inspiration or guidance, and if nothing else, they have never failed to make me smile or brighten my day.  So thank you for that and thank you especially to:

-Tigress-

JungMichan (formerly Miechan)

ajol_fxonee

Mich517

Again, I am grateful for all my commenters though you guys have stood out and consistently stayed with me until the very end.  Your support and insight has been very much appreciated.  <3

At this point, I have no idea what I'm going to do next exactly.  I know I very much enjoyed adventuring with a female lead again so maybe I'll try something with that in the future soon!  I've also got a couple contest entries I'll be trying to get started and wrap up for the second part of the year.  We shall see how that goes!

Once again, thank you to everyone and I hope you all have a spectacular day!  You're all awesome!  *cheers enthusiastically*)