[O3] A New Year's Hope

L O S T
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter one; a new year's hope


 

 

It was that time of the year again, where you bid goodbye to the year and welcome the next.

Jieun sat in the dark living room in her house, staring at the clock before shifting her attention to the front door. She curled up in her blanket, legs propped up and a arm hugging it close to her.

Dad..are you going to give me another excuse this year?

Every year, she spent it like this...waiting for her Father who deemed himself too much of a disgrace to show up and wish a happy, healthy, new year to each other.

She picked up her phone, thumb sliding across the screen to unlock it as she pressed down on the icon that said "Phone".

Her Father was on speed dial but, their relationship deteriorated to the point where they haven't contacted each other in years. From age of 16 to the current age of 21. It's been 5 years and there has barely been signs of him stepping a foot into this house.

She felt tears pricking her eyes but no, she wouldn't cry. This was her fault in the first place, if she didn't sprint out into the cold night sky, none of the things that happened would've happened.

Her father only came home during the most ungodly hours, his presence in patterns as if his actions were on repeat.

Jaemin sighed inaudibly, subtly opening the door and scanned the perimeter before releasing another reassured sigh.

"She's not awake.."

He slid across the foyer, into the living room to prepare some well needed coffee for himself before heading to the master bedroom to shower and change. He had to be out of the house before his daughter opened her eyes. As much as he hated leaving her alone, throughout the years, he was unable to muster the courage to face his daughter head on. This was all back up with her smiling face on his phone's lock and home screen.

"Dad's sorry, Jieun.."

Yet, little did he know.

The door to her room was cracked open faintly, her back pressed against the wall with a ear open to his whispers that he made in the vast hallway. Her heart ached, ached for the consequences of her actions. She had to pay the full price and fate requested for her family.

The ticks of the clock reverberated off the walls, each second she hung on the thin thread of hope.

Her heart came to an abrupt stop -- the screen lightening up with a single name that demolished any sort of composure she had.

                                                                                             Incoming Call
                                                                                                      Dad

She rushed to open it as her hand shot up to cup , muffling any sort of sobs that may escape from the back of .

"J-Jieun..?"

"I-I'm here....dad, it's me.."

"Dad's...sorry. It seems like work has called for me tonight as well."

"......Dad, I miss you."

His heart broke into irrepairable pieces, he has no right to claim the title of Father after the heartaches her stamped onto his little girl from a budding age.

"I miss you too, sweetheart..."

"Dad..?"

"Hm?"

"Happy New Year...you know that I love you right?"

"Happy New Year...Dad loves you with all his heart as well. I've called up the Bang family, they welcome you to spend the New Year's with them. Go ahead and have fun."

With that, the line went dead before she could refute.

She ran her hands across her face, waiting for the trembles that vibrated through her body to cease before she decided what to do next.

At least there's a bit of an improvement this year..

She got up from the sofa and took a step forward--

Ding Dong.

"Lee Jieun, open this door."

Her eyes fluttered closed, taking a deep breath. She didn't want to worry him anymore, it'll be a new year soon and the last thing she wanted for him to do was spend yet another year being overly concerned for her physical and mental being.

"I'm freezing. Open this damn door."

.....She tugged the blanket closer to her, hands around to keep the warmth circulating around her before she freed the barricade from its notch.

"Finally.." Yongguk breathed out, a puff of air flowing out into the crisp air.

"What's up?.." Jieun questioned, trying her best to avoid contact that he seemed to be fiercly attempting to make with her eyes.

"...You cried again didn't you?" Yongguk softened.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter