Meet And Greet

The Road Unknown

I’m woken up early the next day by the sound of hushed voices surrounding me. Without opening my eyes, I turn on my side and attempt to go back to sleep but it’s to no avail. Once I’ve woken up, I’m up for the day. I let out a groan, swiftly cutting off the voices that were whispering nearby. Slowly, I remembered that I wasn’t home and that I was now living with eleven other girls. Who by now have obviously discovered me.

Warily I open my eyes and sit up in the bed, scanning the room. My eyes almost immediately fall on the group of girls gathered by the doorway, and I reach up to rub at my eyes before counting them. Five. I offer them all a small smile, not moving from my spot on the bed. Although I’m not really nervous, I can still feel the roots of anxiety in the base of my chest. If these girls don’t accept me, the next year will surely be hell.

I watch them all as they move slowly into the room and I watch them cautiously. I’m taken off guard as one of the girls collapses onto the bed I’m sitting on. I frown at her, confused when she sends me a bright smile.

“Hey!”

I hesitantly glance from the girl leisurely lying on my bed to the others who are now standing right next to the bed. When my raised eyebrows are met by more grins, I relax slightly. They seem friendly. I offer a smile in return, and the atmosphere becomes more relaxed.

“You’re the last one right? Manager Kim told us that you’d be here last night.” The girl on the bed with me was scanning my face with curious eyes.

“Uh, yeah. That’s me.” I answered back to her, and then glanced back at the other four in the room. “My name is Park Soo Min.” I would have bowed, but my current position didn’t allow much more than a slight head tilt.

“I’d prefer for you all to call me Soo Min though. I want us to become close, seeing that we will be spending a lot of time together.”

The girls nodded, still wearing easygoing smiles.

“You better get up – we have to leave soon.” One of the other girls spoke, gaining my attention. She was the shortest of the group, and for some reason reminded me of Eun Soo. I smiled at her and nodded, moving to stand up.

“How much time do I have?”

“An hour. We already made breakfast, so take your time. When you’re ready to eat, come out to the kitchen.”

I nodded at her, and the girl who was now sitting on my bed regained my attention.

“The other girls are already up, and they really want to meet you. So be quick!”

I chuckled at her eagerness, then again at the stern look the shorter girl sent the one sitting on my bed.

“Leave her alone, Do Mi. She just woke up.”

The girl sitting on my bed, Do Mi, immediately bowed her head and apologised quietly to me.

I simply shook my head at her.

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it.”

Slowly, Do Mi’s sullen expression left her face and she climbed off my bed, rejoining the other girls.

“Like I said, take your time. Don’t worry about unpacking, you can do that when we get back tonight. The bathroom is the closest door to your left across the hall, feel free to wash up and come out when you are ready. The rest of us will wait in the living room.”

At me nod, the girl who had done the majority of the speaking turned and left the room, the others following after they gave me another warm smile.

As soon as they had all left the room I let out a rush of air, relief washing through me. That seemed to go alright. The five girls all seemed nice, at least. Only six more and I’ll feel more at home, I suppose.

At the thought of home, I felt some remorse. I wonder how my father had been last night. Had he missed me? It wasn’t often that I was away from home, and I’m worried that it’ll be hard on him. I’m worried that it’ll be hard on me.

I let myself reminisce for a few moments longer before getting out of bed, almost stepping on my discarded phones from the previous night. I pick both of them up, noticing how cheap my phone appeared next to the smartphone that Manager Kim had given me. I suppose I’d have to swap my contacts later on.

For now, I set them aside and make the small bed I had slept in, then pick up my small bag of belongings before going to the bathroom, careful to follow the directions I was given.

Seeing the bathroom in the darkness and seeing it now were two completely different things. I had assumed that, being the penthouse suite, it would be expensive but I had greatly underestimated how appealing a bathroom could actually be. When I walked through the threshold I could feel my jaw drop open slightly. Compared to the bathroom that my father and I shared back at our apartment, this was heaven.

The tiles were nothing fancy, but their pristine white colour gained my attention straight away. At home, the tiles were far from being this white. Perhaps they had been, once, but never had they looked like the ones in front of me now look.

After noting the tiles I moved on, inspecting every single aspect of the bathroom. To others, it may have seen normal, and I probably looked like a complete idiot standing there and ogling the room. But I couldn’t get over how different the setting was to what I have grown up with my whole life. Even when my family was still whole, our house didn’t look as expensive as this one bathroom did.

From the large shower to the bath that could easily fit somebody twice my size, it was amazing.

I have no idea how long I had been standing in the room, simply admiring it before I remembered that there were eleven other girls waiting nearby to meet me. Snapping back to my senses almost immediately after the thought entered my head, I set my bag down onto the floor and stripped down, finding a towel in one of the cabinets.

The shower’s appearance did not disappoint me in the slightest. I could have stayed in there for hours if I had nothing else to do, but knowing that I couldn’t afford the time I sadly exited after a few minutes had passed.

After getting out, I went through my bag and began cursing the fact that I hadn’t brought more decent clothes. I only had a few old t-shirts, some jeans and some shorts. I sighed in frustration as I grabbed a plain black shirt and a pair of shorts, making a mental reminder to ask Manager Kim about a shopping trip later on.

After I was dressed, I inspected my face in the mirror. I splashed some cold water onto it before quickly brushing through my hair, deeming my appearance to be acceptable. I wasn’t one to wash my face with cleansers and expensive moisturisers, and I couldn’t afford to buy makeup, so my morning routine wasn’t a lengthy one.

Once I was finished with everything that had to be done, I found myself staring at my reflection in the mirror. I wasn’t ugly – I had inherited my mother’s features. But thinking back to the girls who I had briefly met earlier, I couldn’t help but think that I was plain. They were all gorgeous – natural beauties. I frown at the mirror, and my reflection frowns back. Could my face really be to the standard that an idol’s must be?

At the thought, I feel the confidence in my decision begin to waver and I pull away from the mirror. Thinking like that would be of no help to me. I shake my head once, as if it would rid my head of the negative thoughts beginning to take root in my mind before gathering my things and returning to what I should now start calling my room.

I swap my bag for the two phones lying next to the bed, and then exit the room once again.

Although I had only been through the apartment once, in darkness I found my way to the lounge room without any troubles. After taking a few steps into the room I come to an abrupt halt, the sight before me making my stomach flip with nerves.

In front of me, strewn out across couches, chairs and even the floor are all eleven girls that share this apartment. It takes a few seconds for anybody to notice me, and in that time I find myself analysing them. From what I can see, they’re all gorgeous. Drop dead beautiful almost. Almost all of them appear to be around my age, with the exception of two girls, sitting quietly together on the edges of the group, observing the others. I don’t know if it’s because of that reason, or their faces hold some sense of maturity but i think the two are slightly older – but not by much. It’s those two who notice me first, catching me staring at them all from the doorway. Whilst one of them offers me a wide grin and gestures for me to come over, the other sends me a cold look that almost sends me back a step.

I guess it would have been too easy if everyone here was friendly toward me. But, I find myself feeling slightly hurt at the girl’s immediate dislike toward me. She hasn’t even met me yet, and I already feel as though she’s harbouring hatred toward me. I feel my face set into a frown as the first girl gestures again for me to join the group, but I do as she implies and walk toward them.

As I take my first steps, I feel more than see the other girls in the room beginning to look at me, and I drop my gaze low to avoid meeting their eyes. For some odd reason, whatever enthusiasm I had to meet everyone left when I was given that glare.

Much to my surprise, my name is called and I look up to see the girl from earlier, Do Mi, pat the space next to her on the floor. Grateful that I don’t have to go through the awkward “where do I have to sit” thing in front of everybody, I quickly move to sit beside the girl. I smile at her as I sit, and she grins back at me. I can definitely see us being friends.

“Do you want breakfast? There’s not much to eat, we haven’t been shopping for a while. We all just had toast, if that’s okay with you?” Do Mi questions as soon as I’m fully seated. I almost roll my eyes at her, internally questioning why she would say that after I sit down, but move again to stand up as I reply to her.

“That would be great. Where is –“ I stop talking when she grabs my arm and forcefully pulls me back to the ground.

“Don’t worry, I’ll get it for you.” She jumps up and leaves the room before I can even protest.

I glance around the room and bite my bottom lip nervously as I see the others observing me. Of course, the only girl that I could put a name to had to leave me to fend for myself. I refuse to let myself get too worked up about the current situation, despite the fact that I have almost no social skills. Instead, I try to read the faces of those around me, trying to understand what they’re thinking. Or rather, if they’re thinking positive or negative things about me.

Sadly, I’m not psychic and I give up straight away. I’ll find out soon enough, anyway. Instead, I begin to play with the two phones that are still in my hand, checking the time.

7:35am.

I’ll just go ahead and assume that we have to leave at 8. That gives me twenty five minutes to win these girls over. I glance in the direction that Do Mi left in, considering following her when an unfamiliar voice breaks the silence that had settled throughout the room.

“So, I’m guessing your name is Soo Min?”

My eyes dart around, searching for the voice. I inwardly cringe when I can’t locate the source, then let out a strangled chuckle when the girl that gestured me over in the first place raised her hand.

“I’m sorry. I’m a little overwhelmed right now.”

I almost slap myself when I blurt the words out. I think about trying again when the girl laughs, and a few of the others crack a smile.

“That’s fair enough. I can’t imagine how terrified you probably are right now, meeting eleven strangers as soon as you move.” She lets out another giggle, and this time a few of the girls join her.

“Don’t worry, we don’t bite.” I smile at her and nod, saying nothing. What are you supposed to say to something like that?

Just before the silence in the room became awkward, a different voice spoke.

“You look familiar. Where are you from?” I turn slightly, this time instantly spotting the girl who spoke. I glanced over her, inwardly debating my answer when I realise that she’s probably from a wealthy family, if her jewellery is anything to go off of.

On the one hand, I could answer honestly and tell them that I’m from one of the poorer districts, that the chances of anyone in the room having met me before were almost non existent. From the reaction of those who attended my audition, it was something that those privileged enough to be wealthy looked down upon. I was unsure about telling the truth though. I wouldn’t want to give these girls the wrong impression of me.

On the other hand, I could try lying. But that would be ridiculous. After all, they’d probably find out later on. I could try avoiding the question, but it felt too close to lying for my comfort.

I cringed slightly, but opened my mouth to respond when somebody else beat me to it.

“You probably watched her audition video Mi Young.” It was the girl from earlier this morning, the short one.

Mi Young squinted at me and I had to stop myself from squirming, feeling extremely uncomfortable under her obvious scrutiny.

“Probably. What song did you sing?” I felt myself relax slightly at the topic change. I find myself beaten to answering yet again, by one of the five girls from this morning.

“Come Back Home, right?” She questioned turning toward me. “But not the original. You did an acoustic cover.” At my nod she clapped her hands, making me jump.

“I knew it. When I saw you before, I was thinking about it but I didn’t want to ask in case it wasn’t you.” Her smile widened into a grin as she leaned forward in the chair she was in. “You. Are. Awesome.” She punctuated each word, and I felt my cheeks heat up a little.

“I don’t know about that.” I begin, avoiding her eyes. Being complimented so blatantly by a stranger was new to me.

“No way.” Mi Young spoke up again. “I remember you now – you did the entire song. The rap was really good, but your voice. I don’t know, it had something about it. It’s obvious why SM chose you.” The other girls murmured in agreement.

At the unexpectedly kind words, I ducked my head. I muttered out a thank you, feeling my cheeks begin to redden. Great. So now, everybody knew who I was, but I only knew two of their names. My head shot up as realisation struck me. How did they know what I sang?

I frowned and looked around the room as a calm silence took over the room, my voice easily heard.

“Wait a second. How did you guys see my audition? I thought that only the company employees got to watch them?” The older looking girl laughed, but at the obvious confusion on my face her face fell into a frown.

“Didn’t you hear? After they narrowed it down to 100 girls, SM put the audition tapes onto Youtube. They made people vote for them and everything.”

I frown slightly, wondering for a moment at how I missed that, considering the fact that Ha Na must have known about it, but I let the sense of pride at the fact that the twelve of us were voted the best by people on the internet wash over me. Before I can really bask in the sense of achievement however, my attention snaps to Do Mi who is now re-entering the room carrying a small stack of toast. She sits back down beside me and offers me the plate before taking a piece from the top.

“Well, it sounds like you’re all getting along.” She turns to the others as I begin to eat. “Have you introduced yourselves to her yet?”

At their embarrassed expressions, Do Mi lets out an exasperated sigh and sends me an apologetic look. “We have ten minutes, so you probably won’t remember everybody. The rest of you just follow my example.” She glances around again, before turning her full attention to me. I say nothing, choosing to consume as much as possible in the next ten minutes.

“I’ll just keep it simple – you’ll get to know everyone more later on. My name is Do Mi, and I’m 19.”

I nod, not showing off my surprise at her age. I had assumed that she was younger.

The rest of the girls had, as Do Mi told them to, followed her example and simply stated their name and age. Despite the lack of information, I still struggled to remember most of them. I frowned going over the faces in front of me and trying to put a name to them all.

I knew Mi Young, who had turned out to be a year older than me. The short one was also 20 years old – I think her name was Na Ra. The oldest of us all at 22 was Hye Rin, the girl who had told me to join the group upon entering the living room. The girl who was sitting next to her, the one who had glared at me the moment she saw me was Ha Neul. I wasn’t sure, but I think that she was 21 years old. The youngest of the group, only a year younger than me, was named Sora. I could also recognise the one Japanese girl of the group, Emiko, 18 years old as well. She said, in her broken Korean, to call her Em.

I found myself staring at the other four, whose names I couldn’t remember. Two of them were Taiwanese, another Chinese. The other was Korean, like the majority of us. Do Mi noticed my dark expression and laughed at me.

“Don’t worry about it too much. You have ages to get to know everybody anyways, Soo Min.” I nodded at her words and leaned back against the couch behind me. Just as I glanced down at my phone to check the time, the sound of knocking filled the room.

“That must be Manager Kim.” Everybody stood up at Hye Rin’s words, and as a group we all moved toward the door. Na Ra was the one to open it, and upon seeing our new manager in front of us we all bowed respectfully. She gave a slight bow in return, then turned around and lead us into the elevator.

“There is much to do today girls,” she began. “Take this time to prepare yourselves.”

 


 

AN: This one took me a while to figure out. There's not really much going on here, and it's hard to write something that isn't really exciting. Consider this one more of  filler chapter. It's not as long as the others have been, and although I could've made it longer I felt like this was a good place to finish.

Anyways, like Manager Kim says, you need to prepare yourselves - the next chapter is going to have a lot more content compared to this one if it turns out like I'm planning it to. From the next chapter onwards, I hope to really get the story going. Prepare yourselves for EXO - and others.

Quick question actually, if you are reading this - who is your SNSD bias? (This may or may not have something to do with the oncoming chapters, so feel free to comment)

Grace.