Did You Know?

The Road Unknown

I am so close to screaming at this current point in time. Not only can I not focus on a single word the teacher is saying right now - which is a bigger problem than it seems because I did hear the words test and next week come out of - but I know for a fact that Joo Won is annoyed with me at the moment, which is absolutely horrible because I hate fighting with him. I can't even pinpoint the exact reason as to why he's angry with me, but I'm sure that it has something to do with the phone call we shared last night.

I groaned as I fell back onto my bed. It was getting close to midnight, I'd just finished all my homework and I was more than ready to go to sleep. Even though singing Run helped lighten my mood slightly earlier, I found myself feeling worse and worse with each passing minute after I had arrived at work and found out that Ji Ra had called in sick and I had to cover her shift as well, so I was staying for an extra two hours.

It didn't help that for some reason the entirety of Seoul City seemed to come into the store needing this or that, or that somebody knocked down a display that I had spent half an hour making. I got no time to take a break, let alone look at my homework, so by the time my shift was over for the night I was tired, grumpy and ready to go home. When, however, I finally did get home, instead of finding leftovers from dinner that my father had made, or even just my father, I found a note attached to my door. It read:

Soo Min, if you're reading this, I've already gone to bed. There's no food left in the kitchen, so we both have to go without dinner tonight. Sorry. Tomorrow, I'll go and buy some groceries so don't worry. Your mother called. She said if you were planning on skipping lunch this weekend, she will personally come here and force you to accompany her. As much as we both resent that woman, neither of us wants her coming here. Please go, even if it's just for a few minutes. Don't stay up too late.

That was enough to make me see red. But yet, I still had homework that had to be done. So I had stayed up, riding a wave of anger as I recorded answers to the questions which lay in front of me. The relief of finally finishing was almost enough to bring me to tears.

I slump down in my seat, resting my head in the crook of my elbow as I go back over the call I had with Joo Won. Thinking about it, there may have been one or two reasons as to why he was angry.

I lifted my head up from my bed when I heard the sound of my phone buzzing. I sighed, but rolled onto my stomach and pressed the answer button.

"What do you want?" I muttered. "I was just about to go to bed."

"Soo Min-ah. Are you alright? You sound upset."

I scoffed. "I'm not upset. I'm just tired. It's been a long day."

"Are you sure? What about at lunch? There was something wrong then." He sounded frustrated.

"There wasn't. Really. I just wasn't feeling well."

There was a moment of silence before I heard him sigh through the phone.

"I know you're lying to me Soo Min. Can't you just tell me what's wrong so that I can fix it?"

"I told you. I'm absolutely fine. Now, can I go and sleep? This call is pointless."

There was another short pause before a tense "Sure." came through and he hung up the call.

Okay. So maybe the entire call was bad. But still, he didn't have to go around ignoring me all day. That's a bit extreme.

I was brought out of my thoughts as the bell rang, signalling the beginning of lunch.

 


 

I wore a frown as I made my way into the lunch room. Ha Na and Joo Won were already seated, but they had company. I fixed my expression to show a smile and made my way toward the group sitting at my regular table. On closer inspection, I could see that of the newcomers, I only knew one of them. There were three of them - two girls and a boy. The one I knew was Choi Eun Soo. She was a pretty girl and was in my music class. That girl had a talent for playing the piano.

Upon reaching the table I sat down, and quietly greeted the new guests. Ha Na quickly informed me that they all shared English class together and that she invited them to sit with us. I could have killed her.

I suppose it’s safe to say that I'm not exactly a people person - meeting new people makes me feel uncomfortable and shy. But, I was also hoping that I could talk to Joo Won about the call and apologise. I've begun to feel really bad about the whole thing. I could barely even look at him; the tension between us was extremely strong. Apparently, I was the only one feeling that strain as Ha Na began introducing her classmates.

After explaining that Eun Soo and I already knew each other, I learnt that the other girl was named Han Rae Ah whilst the boy was Lee Jong Hyun. Again, I greeted them quietly. I shot a quick glance at Joo Won, but he appeared as though he wasn't uncomfortable in the slightest.

I just sat there awkwardly as the others got themselves involved in a conversation. It would have made me feel slightly better if I had something to eat to busy myself with, but seeing that we have no food until my father goes to the market, I'll have to go without.

I was brought out of my thoughts as I heard someone calling my name.

"Oh, sorry. I wasn't really listening." I look at Ha Na, who was calling my name. "What did you say?"

She rolled her eyes, but explained, "Eun Soo was just talking about SM Entertainment."

And it was so important that I had to know because…?  "Alright then. Why?"

Eun Soo cut in, saying "They're asking for people to audition. I think it's for some project they're working on."

It was then that I understood why I was brought into the conversation. I almost burst out laughing at the idea. “You’re telling me because what? You think that I would actually do something like that?” I chuckled a little. “Come on, Ha Na. Be realistic here, you know that I’d never do something like that.”

Although Ha Na looked as though she was about to give me an entire speech as to why I should audition, Eun Soo spoke before she could even open .

“Why not? I think that you’d have a chance of getting through Soo Min. I’ve heard you singing in class, and you’re easily the best in there.”

“I second that.” Ha Na added. “You’re always singing around me, and your voice is beautiful.”

I snort and lightly hit her head. “Stop being an idiot. Even if I can sing, you know that I couldn’t just leave my father. He needs me.”

Ha Na looked as though she was about to argue, but Joo Won surprised me when he spoke from the other side of the lunch table.

“Just leave it Ha Na. If she doesn’t want to do it, she won’t. You know how our Soo Min is like.”

Looking over at him, I was surprised and a little hurt to see him looking unaffected by the conversation. Despite that, I still mouthed thanks to him as his eyes glanced toward my direction. He just shrugged.

Sighing, I got up from the table and made an excuse about needing to go to the bathroom. I couldn’t take withstand seeing Joo Won act so indifferent toward me for much longer. Striding out of the lunchroom, I just decided to go and wait for my next class for the rest of lunch.

 


 

My low feelings were almost all gone by the time I got home. With no song stuck in my head, I was actually able to enjoy my math class and I was animatedly taking notes the entire class. I don’t find math difficult in the slightest, and it actually helps me to relieve tension because solving problems normally requires me to put my focus fully on the issue in front of me and doesn’t give me time to think about anything else. So after I had math, I had almost forgotten the entire situation that occurred during lunch until I got home.

“I can’t believe they even brought SM Entertainment up. Seriously, they have too much faith in me. I wouldn’t be able to do something like that.”

Laughing out loud, I leave my room and check the kitchen to see if my father had indeed gone to the market and bought some groceries. My mood skyrocketed as I spotted a packet of ramyun, and I started dancing around the small room as I prepared my meal. I was just sitting down to enjoy my meal when I heard somebody knocking on the door, which made me worried as I knew my father would have the key, and not many people come over.

I made my way to the door and cracked it open, checking the identity of the person on the other side. Realising who it was, I frowned but opened it all the way to let the newcomer inside.

“What are you doing here?” I questioned as they made their way to my bedroom and proceeded to lie down on my bed.

“I wanted to talk to you about something.” The words that came out of my boyfriend’s mouth made my blood run cold and I stopped walking.

Perhaps he wants to breakup? But that’s stupid, I reasoned with myself. You hardly even fought. He probably just wants to talk about why you were upset. Don’t freak out just yet.

I sighed and let my frown fall even deeper, but walked into my room and sat on top of my bed next to Joo Won.

“Well you may as well say it then if you came all the way here. What is it?”

He said nothing but pulled me back so I was lying next to him.

“Can you look at me first?”

The words seemed harmless enough, but I couldn’t help it when a wave of anxiety washed over me. I reluctantly turned my head and looked into his eyes.

“I’m sorry,” I blurted out before I could stop myself. “I was just having a really bad day and I took it out on you. I’m so sorry Joo Won. I didn’t mean it.”

His laugh surprised me. “I know you didn’t mean it. It’s okay.”

“Really? I thought that you were upset with me today though?”

Joo Won nodded slightly. “I was, but not because you snapped at me. I didn’t understand why you couldn’t have just told me what was wrong.”

Feeling me stiffen next to him, he found my hand and intertwined our fingers as he continued talking.

“Don’t worry. You don’t have to tell me, I know that whatever it is must be pretty serious.”

With that, I let out a relieved breath of air and chuckled. “Thank you. But it really isn’t. It’s actually pretty childish of me to be so upset.” I break eye contact with him and look up at my ceiling. “My mother is making me go to lunch with her this weekend. I have to go as well, because if I don’t she said she will come here personally to get me and I don’t want my father to have to put up with her. You know why. It’s just, it’s hardly even been a month since the divorce and she’s already trying to control me again.”

“She’s just a terrible person. I’m so sorry to hear that Soo Min. I wish there was something I could do about it.”

I just sigh again in reply, and the room becomes silent.

I’m about to stand up when Joo Won suddenly turns to face me.

“You know, I really think you should consider auditioning for that thing. I think that you could do it.”

I groan and sit up. “Not you too. What happened to ‘if she doesn’t want to, she won’t’?”

He laughs. “I was just saying that to shut Ha Na up. You looked like you were about to rip her head off.” He laughed again. “But really, why won’t you even think about it? I know you said you couldn’t leave your father, but he’d want you to do it too. You know that he loves your singing.”

“I know that, but I can’t. If I were to actually get through, what would happen to him? We’re struggling with the amount of money that we are getting right now, and if I leave then he won’t have me to help pay the bills.”

“You and I both know that’s not true Soo Min. He doesn’t need that money, neither do you. You’re just too worried about the future. About an accident that’s probably never going to happen. That money isn’t necessary. Besides, if you were to leave, don’t you think that would be better?”

He rolled his eyes at my hurt look.

“You know what I mean. If you left, he wouldn’t need the extra money to look after you – SM would pay for your education and your living expenses. In fact, it’s probably better for both o you that way. Surely, you’d go to a school that has a higher success rate than ours.”

“But still….” I began, but sensing that this was a losing accident I moved on. “What about you?”

At this he sat up. “Me?”

“Us. What would we do? I wouldn’t get any time to see you. I don’t want to lose you.”

He sighed and brought me closer. “Soo Min. You will not lose me. I promise you that.”

He brushed a stray piece of hair back behind my ear. “Look at me. I promise I won’t let the distance come between us. Don’t you trust me?”

I searched his eyes before putting a hand over the one he placed on my face. “I do. It’s just…” I frowned, searching for the words.

“You’re scared.” Joo Won finished for me.

I sighed and nodded. “I don’t know wh-“

I was cut off abruptly when his lips met mine. I didn’t hesitate to kiss back. My hands slid up to play with his hair whilst his hand moved to pull me closer to him. Just as the kiss began to get serious, I heard the door to my room open and a strangled cough from my father. I immediately parted from Joo Won and jumped to the other side of the bed, whilst my boyfriend simply sent an apologetic smile to my father.

 


 

“Are you two coming out for dinner or not?” My father asked over his shoulder as he walked back out. Joo Won shot me a mischievous grin and said in response “of course. Soo Min and I actually wanted to talk to you about something.”
 

I sent him a confused look as he took my hand and pulled me up, racking my brain as to what we could possibly have to discuss with my father. Realisation hit me as we walked into the kitchen and I hissed at Joo Won under my breath.

“Don’t you dare.”

He just laughed and gave my hand a squeeze.

“What do you think of Soo Min’s singing?” He questioned.

“Soo Min’s singing? It’s beautiful; she’s got a real talent our Soo Min.” Replied my father.

Joo Won chuckled and nodded. “She does. But don’t you think it gets annoying after awhile? I know firsthand that she can get a bit annoying after singing the same song for the fifth time in a row.”

I hit him on the back of the head. “Ya, I’m right here!”

My boyfriend continued as though I didn’t even talk.

“Do you know SM Entertainment? They produced SNSD and EXO.”

My father nods, recognition shadowing his face. “I think I’ve heard of them before. Soo Min talks about them sometimes.” He looks at me in confirmation. I nod.

“That’s good. Now something you don’t know – they’re holding auditions soon. For girls around Soo Min’s age as well.”

This garnered my father’s full attention. The next thing I know, I’ve been pulled from my seat into my father’s arms.

“That’s great Soo Min! You really deserve this. I already know you’ll be accepted!”

I glare at Joo Won, who’s attempting to hide his smug grin as he watches us.

“Well actually, she doesn’t think that she’ll audition. She’s rather against the idea actually.”

My father dropped his arms and pulled back to look at me.

“What are you talking about? That’s ridiculous. You have to do it Soo Min.”

I almost flinched at the stern tone of his voice.

“But what about money? You need me here to help. There’s no way –“

“Don’t be a fool. I’m not going to accept no as an answer this time.”

I turn to Joo Won helplessly. It’s going to be nearly impossible to change his mind now.

 


 

A/N: Chapter 2 is done! I hope this is better than the last, I'm beginning to get the plot rolling now. Like always, don't  be afraid to leave a suggestion for this story, and thanks for reading :) Grace Xx