Rolling along

Love is a complicated thing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As many children do, each child tends to make a quiet assumption of how the world around them works. Seohyun was no different from any other child, minus the fact that she may just be a tad more mature in her perceptions, and both her parents knew this fact. It wasn't long before Seohyun began treating the two adults as some sort of '2 for 1' bundle, the other always existed with the other and it seemed to work just fine with the child, so this slowly became her 'normal' as time went by. To the little girl, they were one and the same, the only notable differences was that 'Jushi' was a male, which she knows her mother and herself clearly were not, and her keen awareness of the two being adults who are truly unique individuals. Other than these observations, Seohyun would actually consider their little trio a unit, an efficient unit that as a whole, partake in plenty of worthwhile and fun activities together. As far as her young brain can remember, her only memories with both of the two adults being present have been happy and these memories are probably her most cherished. Could it be that the 'family' that consisted of only her mother, herself and her aunt, have a new added member? This would be the only explanation that makes sense, thought Seohyun.

The two adults in the room exchange awkward side glances with one another as they could feel the toddler's intense gaze on their backs as they silently work on washing the fresh produce they had just picked up from the farmers' market. Seohyun was presently sitting on the kitchen tiles behind them with one of those plushy green peas in her petite, chubby hands and adorably hanging open. It was nothing new that the child was observing them but it did not remove the sudden nervousness they feel everytime she does this, the two adults were well aware of the very efficient wheels turning in the child's mind. Today, it was as if the girl had this very important question swirling around in her head. Also, Seohyun made sure to make her observations known with blunt, honest statements in the most inopportune of situations, so they'll probably know what the question is very soon. But one of her moments occured in front Sunny, who if you've forgotten, does not have the smallest bit of likeness for the pale yet adorable man who so happened to knock her sister up, so it is without saying, a moment of disaster that included the words: "Jushi, you no like Imo (Aunty)?"

"Mmmm so," Taeyeon awkwardly begins after fake clearing his throat, "the farmers' market this week was fun eh?" 

Tiffany nods over-enthusiastically in agreement while looking back at her daughter who had just stopped intensely staring at them both. The reply which comes out of the little kid's mouth no longer surprises them at all, the child was becoming sassier as the days go by and bull was being deflected all the time now. "It was fun! But it's the same evewy week we go." 

The dryness of the reply causes the top corner of Taeyeon's mouth to automatically pull upwards in discomfort, not really knowing what to say next as he places the freshly washed plum in a bowl in front of him. He turns around bravely to face the child on the ground with his finger guns moving up and down exaggeratedly towards her direction. "Ha! But always an adventure when we do go right? Fun fun fun!" 

The only other adult in the room tries not outwardly cringe at the display of geeky corniness, so Tiffany instead dries her hands with the tea towel on her shoulder and walks towards the direction of the little girl. The towel is tossed backwards towards the man who still had his darned finger guns in the air, the towel lands on his hands, covering up his shame before the two girls walk out from the kitchen via the open back door, onto the deck right outside. "Hurry up in there, Seo-toro is hungry!" 

With a tired huff, Taeyeon places the towel onto the counter lazily and takes the bowl of plums into his hands, walking out to join the mother-daughter duo in the sunshine blessed outdoors. "Okay okay, I've brought the plums!"

 

 

With a careful steady hand, Tiffany closes the door to the sleeping little girl's room. After successfully shutting the door, Tiffany descends onto the staircase to rejoin Taeyeon who was sitting on the couch just steps from the bottom stair. 

"Okay, she's gone down to rest for a bit. You could probably go, Tae. It's best you get home early, it is Monday tomorrow." 

Taeyeon stands up from the comfortable couch with a mighty stretch and a tired yawn, nodding in agreement. "Yeah, It'll be a long week this week. Abeoji is coming by sometime this week at the main office." 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter