Familial Affairs

Love is a complicated thing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jushi, why is your haiw multi coloured?" came the small voice of Seohyun as she remain standing, staring at an old man peacefully sitting on a bench. The man was previously focused on the collection of papers in his hands peeks from behind the paper and sees a chubby cheeked little girl with long, straight black hair who is way too close for comfort. In surprise, the paper in his hands ruffle before he straightens himself up after an awkward cough. The child's words register and he suddenly feels self-concious, running his hand over the hair on his head from above his hat. 

"Well, you see, I'm very old." His deep voice replied, causing the little girl's eyebrows to raise upwards, signalling another onslaught of questions. 

"But thewe's black and white and-"

*ahem* "Well, I'm old and my hair is slowly greying, you see?" He tries to make a point by gesturing to his whole head exaggeratedly, going as far as taking off the hat for a split second to reveal his bald spot. The bald spot sparks another question in the child's head but just as Seohyun's about to ask another question, Tiffany's voice interrupts from a distance. 

"Aish, baby! What did umma tell you about interrogating others?" She pockets her phone and runs up to the bench not too far from the one she was sitting on, taking a hold of her little girl's chubby hands. She bows to the elderly man on the bench who bows back in acknowledgement. "Ah, I'm so sorry about my little girl sir. She's just very curious." 

The elderly man smiles and then chuckles, clapping his hands in amusement. In this moment, Tiffany finally gets a good look at the elderly man's face, sensing a gnawing sort of familiariaty with him. Before she could put a finger on it, he begins speaking. "That's alright. The little ones are always the most curious of all, it's okay to ask questions. Your daughter is quite observant. What's her name?" 

"It's Seohyun, Harabeoji." 

"What a lovely name! It suits her." He stands up from the bench with the newspaper in his hands now rolled up and tucked neatly under his arm. He tips his hat in their direction, "Well, this old greying man has to go and run his shop. Break time is over. It was nice talking to you, Seohyun and to you too, Seohyun's umma. Have a great day girls!" He shows a smile as he bids goodbye, walking away and looking back to wave his hand back the mother daughter duo still standing in front of the bench. 

"He was a nice jushi, umma!" Seohyun beams up at her mother before dragging her towards the sound of an ice cream truck that has just pulled into the parking lot of the park. 

As he walks away, the old man smiles to himself. Strangely, the child's bright exterior and curiosity fondly reminds him of someone he knew once, a very long time ago. Dismissing the thought of that someone he knew, he goes on his merry way back to his humble store.

 

 

"So yeah, he didn't seem too upset about the whole thing, surprisingly. He almost seemed...happy maybe?" Taeyeon scratches the bottom of his chin as he turns his head sideways, trying to find a word better suited to his father's reaction about his daughter. 

Tiffany sits across from him with an uncertain smile on her face, not exactly sure how to react. How dare this man reveal to Mr. Kim their current situation without consulting her? But then again, better done this way. Direct and short. Knowing herself, she would have made it more difficult for Taeyeon to finally confront his father by bringing up her own worries about how it may have turned out. "I'm happy for you, Tae. But now that we've told your father...how do we tell Seohyun?" 

The mention of father suddenly brings up the face of the older ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter