Our Cafe

Love is a complicated thing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A quick glance at the expensive watch on his wrist after taking a much needed gulp of the whisky in his cup during another one of those dreadful business party conversations alarms Taeyeon, 11:30pm it reads. He redirects his gaze back towards the short woman who he was speaking with about a topic he's already forgotten. The woman finishes the last breatch of her sentence looks in anticipation for Taeyeon's reply, "well, I could see why you found that drastic change in policy unnecessary," he starts before his gaze wanders towards Sooyoung who stands across the room with a finger pointed atop his watch, prompting Taeyeon to end this conversation quickly. "Well, as much as I'd love to discuss more business with you, I'm afraid my companion and I have to take our leave, Hani. We did enjoy your father's party very much, if you wouldn't mind, I'll go bid farewell to him now." 

The woman nods understandingly with a slight pout on her face, "Alrighty, Taeyeon oppa, it was lovely seeing you again." She takes a moment to tuck a few strands of her hair behind her ear before continuing. "Have a safe drive home, I-my father appreciates you coming." The girl follows the statement with a side hug which was awkwardly received by the man across from her who immediately takes his leave after.

He walks towards Sooyung who is now gulping down the last of his drink, he pats the taller man's shoulder as he leans forward to whisper, "Gosh, I swear. If my COO wasn't a good friend of my father's, I never would have met his daughters. They always manage to corner me." Sooyoung guffaws as Taeyeon's eyes search the crowd for the said man ith predator-like daughters. Taeyeon and Sooyoung find him and briefly have an exchange before bidding themselves goodbye, finally. 

Once in their car, Sooyoung clears his throat before directing his line of vision towards the man in the driver's seat, he sits silently before bringing up the topic bothering him. "Tiffany is right across the street." 

Taeyeon groans in frustration as he lets out an heavy sigh while starting his engine, "I know." 

"So????" Sooyoung questions, "So, why havent you spoken with her yet? She's been back for a few days now." 

"You know why, Soo. I'm letting her settle back in first." 

"Is that really why though? Or are you waiting till you think you come up with an explanation for her, an excuse for why you didn't step up when you should have?" The seriousness in the taller man's voice tells Taeyeon he's upset. 

"It's not that. Not an excuse! I know I ed up! I don't understand why I let things turn out the way they did." Taeyeon slams his head against the car steering wheel, "I wallowed in self-pity and self hatred all these years because I know I hurt her, man. Bad. That's torture. How can I be of any use in her life? I'm weak, WEAK. I can never be good enough for her, for anyone. Not when I can't even do one single action PROPERLY to make it all right."

"You sound like your father, don't believe in those things. You know you're capable of many things, I know that." With a careful reach of his hands, he gives Taeyeon a comforting pat on the back. "You messed up. We can't deny that. But why don't you start off by explaining to her why you were acting the way you did back then. She, of all people, knew you the best, she'll understand. If you had told her of any of the things you were going through instead of sending her off from your house that day, we could have avoided a lot of this hurt. You shut yourself off and lash out when you're under pressure. Yet, not once have you fully talked about things that made you do that, you evade. You don't even take initiative to step forward and apologize when you know you've done that, for s sake. That's what this all came down to. Nobody is forcing you to do anything NOW, you don't have your dad looming over your shoulder holding a knife to your throat anymore. Now's the time to fix it all." 

"We'll see. I'll drive you home now. It's late and I can't think straight

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter