chapter x

denial is not just a river in egypt

“So Halloween is coming,” Hakyeon said casually in between spoonfuls of his rice, and Taekwoon took the trouble of halting his chewing for a moment in order to make a very important declaration.

“No.”

“No, what?” Hakyeon demanded, consternation clearly showing on his face, as if forcing Taekwoon to dress up in an animal onesie to go along with all the others to last year’s big Halloween party thrown by Wonsik’s college dance crew (‘See, Taekwoon, we’re a complete set! You have to wear the hamster one, Taek, do you want to spoil everything?’) was a beautiful memory the four of them shared. At the very least, three of them shared it, and one of them violently repressed it.

Taekwoon didn’t even bother to reply, chewing as if Hakyeon hadn’t spoken. No more animal onesies. No more Halloween parties. Ever.

“If you don’t go this year you’re not going to be able to see me dress up as Barbie,” Hakyeon wheedled, and Taekwoon reared backwards, almost forgetting he was sitting on a canteen bench with no back to catch him if he moved too far.

“Of all things,” he spluttered, forgetting his policy not to talk to Hakyeon about anything Halloween-party related. “Why Barbie?”

“You’ve never seen me in drag, have you?” Hakyeon said, gloriously smug. “Just wait. I’ll blow your socks off.”

“I’ll be sure not to wear any,” Taekwoon muttered, going back to his noodles. “Don’t you need a Ken?”

“Way ahead of you. Jaehwan.” Hakyeon grinned.

Taekwoon shook his head, deciding he didn’t want to know. It niggled at him, because for all his protests he knew he’d be dragged along to the party by Hakyeon anyway and if everything was normal it’d probably be Hongbin and Wonsik going together with matching costumes like they did the year before Hakyeon’s terrible animal onesie idea. Taekwoon would have been bullied into wearing something matching Hakyeon – for this one thing he fervently thanked Jaehwan for existing – and the four of them would have gone, gotten drunk and had a reasonable amount of fun. But now… Hongbin and Wonsik weren’t speaking and the whole thing was just wrong; him and Hakyeon wouldn’t even be friends if not for Hongbin and Wonsik, who’d introduced the two older ones they’d gotten as roommates once they’d been randomly assigned their dorm rooms by the system. Taekwoon didn’t know how long Hakyeon was going to pretend everything was alright.

“So what are you and the bae going to go as?” Hakyeon asked, and Taekwoon’s chopsticks slowed down on the way to his mouth, Taekwoon repressing as many homicidal urges as he could.

“Hakyeon,” he began, as measured and calmly as he could. “This is the last time I’m going to tell you. One, stop trying to use slang words in order to look cool and young. Two, Sanghyuk is not my bae – the bae – a bae-”

Hakyeon opened his mouth to jump in and correct him but Taekwoon quickly spoke over him. “Whatever. He is not. We are not. Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?”

“When are you going to invite me for a sleepover too then?”

Taekwoon just glared. Hakyeon, unfazed, scooped up his last grains of rice. “Tell you a secret.”

“What?” Taekwoon said, aiming for snappy.

“Jaehwan’s going to ask Wonsik out.”

*

Hongbin walked within the group, listening to the chatter and banter being thrown back and forth around him and he felt truly relaxed like he hadn’t been in a week. It was easy with his basketball people, not because they knew him really well but because they didn’t. He didn’t really have to think around them, could just smile and be charming and funny and laugh along with their jokes and it was easy enough to pretend that everything hadn’t actually gone to . He had no time to think about Wonsik when he was busy being a normal jock.

Taekwoon hyung at home was helping too; he knew Hongbin didn’t want to talk about it so he just made sure there was always Hongbin’s favourite things to eat in the fridge or on the stove, both cooked and bought – his own way of babying Hongbin and making Hongbin feel better. Taekwoon could truly be such a mom sometimes, and Hongbin was really grateful for it though a part of him still felt guilty Taekwoon was treating him so well. He didn’t deserve it.

And as for his promise – he’d kept it.

He hadn’t texted Wonsik, hadn’t gone to Wonsik’s work, had purposely avoided the corridors and canteens he knew Wonsik would be in in between classes. It had been a week, and he’d managed to keep such a tight rein on himself he was absently quite amazed at his self-control. It was the only thing he had to comfort himself with from the fact that in the face of Hongbin’s silence Wonsik hadn’t tried to contact him at all. He’d thought – maybe after a day or two, when Hongbin hadn’t tried to reach out, Wonsik would have done so instead, if only to yell at him – but there’d been nothing. It hurt more than Hongbin was prepared for, but he embraced the pain a touch sadistically. You did this, he reminded himself every time it got a little too hard to ignore. This is on you. At least Hakyeon hyung would be happy, he thought, petty as it was. He knew Hakyeon had never really liked him.

“Hongbin!” a voice called out from behind him, and when Hongbin recognised it he tried to walk faster, but there was no hurrying a group of seven people altogether.

Jaehwan caught up with them and called out again. “Hey, Hongbin, I need to talk to you for a sec.”

Hongbin steeled himself and turned around, letting his friends flow past him with assurances that he’ll see them at the canteen they were heading to. Once alone, Hongbin schooled his features into absolute neutrality and looked at Jaehwan, trying to appear as blank as possible even though his heart was pounding. What was this about?

“Yeah?” Hongbin asked shortly, wondering if he should go for insolent or intimidating, knowing Jaehwan must certainly know already what had happened and the urge to hurt Jaehwan somehow not having lessened from the night he’d had to watch Jaehwan kiss Wonsik. ‘Yeah, I’m a bastard and I don’t give two s’ or ‘You got a problem with me, ?’ – which would work better?

Jaehwan was smiling easily, however, and if Hongbin could growl, he would have.

“Listen, I have something to check with you,” Jaehwan started, still smiling. “I’m going to ask Wonsik out on a date and I want your word you’re not going to do anything stupid.”

All power of speech left Hongbin, leaving him to belatedly exhale sharply in disbelief.

“I think you know what I mean,” Jaehwan continued, still casual like he was discussing the weather. “I don’t want to have to deal with you throwing a tantrum over it. So if you could just… not?”

Hongbin subconsciously registered respect for this guy’s nerve while the rest of him was screaming for blood. He didn’t realise he’d clenched his fists as if he was contemplating hauling away and hitting Jaehwan – he’d laid Jaehwan out before, he could do it again –

“Fine,” Hongbin bit out, setting his jaw. “I won’t.”

Hongbin turned and walked away in a blind direction, just so long as it got him away from Jaehwan. Wonsik deserved better. Jaehwan clearly cared enough. Wonsik deserved better. Wonsik deserved better.

At the last moment he sharply changed direction from the canteen where his friends were waiting for him and started walking in the direction of the gym instead. He needed to ing punch something.

*

“Hi,” Jaehwan pushed himself off the wall he was leaning on waiting for Wonsik after his last class of the day, his smile taking over his whole face the moment he saw Wonsik come out of the lecture theatre.

“Hey,” Wonsik smiled back, a little shy and unsure. This was actually happening – he was going on a date, a date with Jaehwan, who was apparently interested in him, and they were going on a date. A date. They were going to eat dinner and then walk around Hongdae, on their date. Date. It all felt utterly alien to him – going on a date (a date???) with someone that wasn’t Hongbin. He’d never even contemplated the possibility before. But that was then, and this was now, and Hongbin – Hongbin had made it clear there was nothing more he wanted from Wonsik, not even his friendship.

It seemed like Jaehwan could sense his awkwardness, because Jaehwan was talking even more than usual and trying his best to make Wonsik laugh, which honestly wasn’t really hard to do – Jaehwan was hilarious and Wonsik adored that about him. Little by little Wonsik started to relax, started to get used to Jaehwan’s smiles just for him. It felt – strange. It felt good.

Jaehwan brought him to one of his favourite pasta places and they ordered way too much, the menu too tempting – the waiter gave them both a look once he’d delivered all their food, Jaehwan giggling uncontrollably at his disapproving face. They’d managed to finish pretty much all of it too, but that just meant that they were both stuffed uncomfortably full as they meandered around Hongdae, watching the buskers and soaking up the noise and the people. Jaehwan was easy to talk to. Everything about Jaehwan was easy – easy smiles, easy laughter, and when Jaehwan looked at him Wonsik had the almost-indescribable feeling there was no one else Jaehwan was seeing, in that moment. His honest attention was purely on Wonsik, and that was something Wonsik had never experienced before. It was flattering, sure, but more than that – it was something Wonsik had never had from Hongbin.

Wonsik couldn’t help feeling guilty, mentally comparing every single thing Jaehwan did to how Hongbin did it, but as the evening wore down and they were finally walking back to their dorm Jaehwan did something else Hongbin had never done.

Jaehwan quietly slid his hand into Wonsik’s, entwining their fingers smoothly and grinning when he saw Wonsik’s taken-aback gaze on him.

“Just one minute more like this, okay?” Jaehwan said, winking at him.

Wonsik swallowed and looked straight ahead, embarrassed for some reason. Jaehwan liked him enough to hold his hand. To want to hold hands, to keep holding hands – Jaehwan wanted to hold his hand. Wonsik was blushing hotly and he didn’t even know why.

They went up to their apartment together, Jaehwan walking Wonsik mock-seriously to his bedroom door like they weren’t both living in the same house and for a panicked moment Wonsik thought Jaehwan was going to kiss him goodnight – that’s what happened, didn’t it, at the end of dates? There was the goodbye kiss? Though it would mostly just be ‘goodbye for a few seconds’ since they both had to share only one bathroom anyway and they needed to shower.

But Jaehwan just bowed very solemnly at him, once more making Wonsik laugh.

“Thank you for tonight,” Jaehwan said, once he’d straightened up. “Did you have a good time?”

“Yeah, I – yeah,” Wonsik smiled, finding it was the truth.

“Yes!” Jaehwan fist pumped the air, doing a few celebratory poses that had Wonsik shaking his head with suppressed laughter. Jaehwan was so ridiculous.

“So am I going to get another chance to take you out?” Jaehwan said after he’d gotten through his improv routine. “Yes. Say yes. Say yes say yes. Yesyesyes.”

“Yes,” Hakyeon said, coming out of his room where Wonsik was two hundred percent sure he’d been eavesdropping like nobody’s business.

“Shut up, hyung,” Wonsik whined, and waited pointedly for Hakyeon to go into the kitchen though given the size of their apartment it wasn’t that big a difference.

Turning back to an expectantly waiting Jaehwan, he mouthed the word ‘yes’, not wanting to give Hakyeon the satisfaction of hearing it. Jaehwan gestured back ‘okay’ with his hands and skipped – Wonsik hadn’t thought he’d ever see a twenty-plus year old man skip but that was Jaehwan for you – back into his own room.

Wonsik went into his and closed the door, needing a moment to process everything that had happened that evening. It had been fun, and comfortable, and he liked Jaehwan – really liked him, honestly – and the fact that Jaehwan seemed to like him in more than just a ‘hey, buddy!’ way was something Wonsik was having trouble wrapping his head around. Jaehwan liked him.

Wonsik sat down on his bed and resolutely did not think about how a date with Hongbin would have gone. Or how Hongbin would have held his hand. Or whether Hongbin would have kissed him goodnight –

“Wonsik,” Hongbin mumbled softly against his lips, hands reaching up into his hair and mouth soft, Hongbin’s smell and taste and the feel of his body against Wonsik’s making Wonsik’s entire galaxy nothing but this person he’d been in love with forever. Hongbin kissed him again, sweetly urgent. “Wonsik.”

Wonsik dropped his head into his hands, exhaling slowly.

*

“Hyung,” Sanghyuk elbowed Taekwoon, and Taekwoon realised with shame that he’d spaced out again for the second time in hardly fifteen minutes. It took a lot to make him lose his focus, especially when he was with Sang– when he had something to do properly, like teaching Sanghyuk his piano lessons, but today was the day of Wonsik and Jaehwan’s date. He felt like he was torn in two – one part of him didn’t want to leave the piano room and Sanghyuk, but the other felt like he needed to run all the way back to the apartment to see if Hongbin was destroying the whole house.

“Sorry, Sanghyuk, I’m,” Taekwoon let his hands drop to the keys, producing a dissonant chord that mirrored surprisingly well how he was feeling inside. “I’m too worried about Hongbin.”

“Hongbin, Hongbin, Hongbin, you’re making me jealous,” Sanghyuk sniffed, and at Taekwoon’s horrified look at him he quickly caved, elbowing Taekwoon again. “I’m joking, hyung. Come on.”

Taekwoon slumped forward against the piano. “I can’t believe those two are going out.”

“Wonsik hyung is doing it as revenge,” Sanghyuk declared, and played a few ominous chords. “Kong sunbae hurt him and now he’s using Jaehwan hyung to hurt Kong sunbae back.”

“Wonsik would never do that,” Taekwoon said scornfully, batting Sanghyuk’s hands away to make him stop with the Addams family-esque music but letting his fingertips linger on Sanghyuk’s wrists. “I’m not that close to him but he’s more or less a human marshmallow from what I’ve seen.”

Sanghyuk pretended to continue to play strident chords up and down Taekwoon’s arm until Taekwoon shook him off.

“Love makes you do crazy things,” Sanghyuk intoned direly, making Serious Eyebrows.

“Really? What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done for love?” Taekwoon mocked.

“I – I’ve never been in love,” Sanghyuk said, the Serious Eyebrows faltering to be replaced by a look so open and vulnerable Taekwoon couldn’t help but stare back, drinking in Sanghyuk’s face.

The moment quickly passed, Sanghyuk looking away and Taekwoon so desperate for something else to say that he blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

“Are you going to go to the big Halloween party?”

“What party?” Sanghyuk asked, interested.

“There’s a lot of parties on Halloween but the dance crew – the one Wonsik’s in – they throw the biggest one. Hakyeon was just asking me about it the other day.”

“Oh, well, when Sungjae finds out about it I’m sure he’ll drag me to it whether I want to go or not. Or, actually – I think I might be abandoned for this girl that he’s insanely infatuated with. He’s probably going to go with her.”

“Sungjae’s got a girlfriend?” Taekwoon asked, somehow wanting to laugh.

“I don’t know if ‘girlfriend’ is the right word,” Sanghyuk said, paralleling Taekwoon’s look of suppressed laughter. “I’m just amazed she hasn’t told him to get lost yet. What about you?”

“Me?” Taekwoon was confused a moment, wondering why he would tell Sungjae to get lost, and then he got it. “Oh. I’m going to be dragged there too. Hakyeon and Jaehwan are apparently going as Barbie and Ken.”

Sanghyuk threw his head back in a delighted shout of laughter, making Taekwoon smile too. “Oh my god, now of course I have to go to see that. What are you going as then? We could go as something matching, hyung!”

The image of Hakyeon screaming ‘BAE!’ at him flashed into Taekwoon’s mind and he blanched – oh god, if the two of them went as something clearly matching Hakyeon would be insufferable till the end of his days –

Sanghyuk, seeing his face, quickly continued. “I mean, it was just an idea. I didn’t mean we had to go together.”

“Oh – oh no,” Taekwoon fumbled, wondering why he was always feeling this scatterbrained around Sanghyuk. “It’s not that – I mean, if you want, sure-”

“No, it’s really fine, but – I mean, if you want-”

They both stopped, feeling stupid.

“Okay, so I’ll – I’ll think up something?” Sanghyuk said finally, smiling sheepishly. “I promise, it won’t be embarrassing or flashy or whatever. It’ll be cool.”

Taekwoon surrendered himself to being at Hakyeon’s mercy for the rest of his natural life. “I’m holding you to that, punk.”

It was only half an hour later when Taekwoon had walked Sanghyuk home and was putting his own keys into the lock that he came to a sudden halt, staring at the woodgrain pattern of his door.

Had he just agreed to go on a date with Sanghyuk?

*

Hongbin’s phone vibrated, and he cracked open one eye from where he was lying on his bed in the dark, listening to sad love songs.

It was a number he didn’t recognise, and when he opened the message he in a sharp breath, feeling his heart start to hammer against his ribs.

“What the ?” he spat, tearing off his earphones.

-Hey, Binnie~ Jaehwan here. The date went fine, and he agreed to see me again – any suggestions for the next date? I know you know him better than anyone else ^^

Hongbin sat up, staring at his phone in utter disbelief. The – the ing balls of this bastard – he dared – Hongbin couldn’t BELIEVE –

Hongbin made himself breathe before he asphyxiated.

Okay, Lee Hongbin, focus. You want to make Wonsik happy, don’t you?

No, Hongbin wanted to murder something. Preferably Jaehwan.

he agreed to see me again

The longer Hongbin stared at those few words, however, the more the fight went out of him. Wonsik had agreed to see Jaehwan again, so that meant… he must have had a good time. Maybe he even was starting to like Jaehwan – and Hongbin fiercely pushed away the memory of Wonsik saying ‘just you, only you, always you’.

Hongbin didn’t know how much time passed before he picked up his phone once more and began to type.

-he’s in the dance crew. anything to do with dance should be good. don’t bring him to eat fish, he hates it. he also really likes animals – bring him to the zoo? or aquarium.

Hongbin sent the message and stared at the fingers that had typed it like they didn’t belong to him. He picked up his phone again.

-don’t it up, lee jaehwan.

*