Ep 2: Outing with Vernon (and Jungkook)

Just a year older

Ep 2: Outing with Vernon!

[Third person POV]

 

"Oy, I'm going out. Hansol wants me to bring you along. Do you feel like goi-"

 

Her popcorn bucket which was on her lap shook vigorously as she altered her position from slouching down to sitting up straight. "Vernon wants me?"

 

"No." Jungkook replied in annoyed tone. "He wants me to bring you along."

 

"So he wants me." She snapped her fingers.

 

"Jesus, noona, how could my words came out wrongly to you?" He shook his head. "So, are you coming?"

 

"Give me 5 minutes." She then ran upstairs and exactly 10 minutes later, she showed up at the shoes cabinet. She was dressed in her yellow one piece dress, her hair was tied up in ponytail and her face was painted with makeup (search history: SNSD's makeup tutorial)

 

Jungkook smirked. "You sure put a lot of effort to look good."

 

"So, you're saying that I look good, right?" She smiled haughtily. She grabbed her sneakers and sat down to put it on.

 

"You're not wearing those click clack shoes?"

 

"Oh, heels? Nope. High risk of falling down. And if I do wear heels, I'll look a bit taller than Vernon and you which is bad." She said.

 

"All you said and think is all Vernon-related. Aren't you sick of it?"

 

She just snickered in return.

 

Meanwhile Jungkook was putting on his wristwatch, he warily looked at his stepsister, about to say something before closing his mouth tightly. He was about to walk away but he groaned instead and that caught his sister's attention.

 

"What's wrong, Kookie?" She asked concerned.

 

"Actually I wanted to stay out of this completely since you started this."

 

"Started what?"

 

"Liking Hansol!"

 

"What? I cannot like Hansol, is it? Does it bother you?"

 

She wants to be Jungkook's best sister. She's been building their relationship after their parents married each other. Although they were both of the same age of 9 when their parents got married, Jungkook is the one who found it hardest to accept new mother for he still was in lost after his mother's passing when he was 5. She and her mother meanwhile was ditched by her father when she was still in her mother's womb so she was always finding for father. Jungkook didn't accept her mother and her at first, but slowly, after growing up together for 9 years, they started to develop normal siblings affection. Whatever Jungkook doesn't fancy, she has to put a stop to it immediately.

 

"Not that. You know what's going to happen later?"

 

She furrowed her eyebrows as a respond.

 

Jungkook hesitated, "Hansol asked our female juniors to join us and they said yes because it's Hansol! They're going to join us later."

 

"So let them be." She said nonchalantly. What's wrong about Hansol hanging out with his classmates?

 

"And you're okay with that?"

 

"Jungkook, what's your point?"

 

"He's trying to make you jealous. He's going to flirt with those girl and see if you care or not."

 

She snorted in return, "Why would he do that?"

 

"Because he wants to know whether you really like him or not!"

 

"Why? He's just wasting his time. Oh no, Vernon is going to waste his time." She turned worried. "We must tell him, Jungkook. His time is too precious to waste."

 

Jungkook gritted his teeth. "Are you ing serious?"

 

"What?" She slapped her forehead then. "Oh right! I should just play along and pretend that I am jealous. Will that do?"

 

"NOONA?!"

 

"What?"

 

"Do you even like Hansol or not?"

 

"I do."

 

"I mean like like love?"

 

She chuckled. "That's ridiculous, Jeon Jungkook. Vernon's a brother to me, just a better looking version and he is too precious! We must protect his preciousness."

 

"You're impossible." Jungkook palmed his face.

 

"Now come on, Jungkook! We have a Vernon to make happy of!"

--

[back to first person's POV]

 

"Hey!" Jungkook greeted Vernon who was sitting on a round table with 5 chairs and did their usual boy moves. Jungkook sat next to me across Vernon so they were 2 empty seats sandwiching Vernon.

 

"Who else are coming?" I asked, gesturing to the 2 empty chairs.

 

"Our friends are." Jungkook said, trying hard to sound natural despite after tipping me about Vernon's making-me-jealous plan.

 

"Hi Yerim. Hi Joohee." Vernon waved to his 2 female juniors. Obviously, the 2 were already in cloud nine, cannot believing the fact that THE Choi Hansol was talking and inviting them to join him.

 

"Hey, come and have a seat." Vernon gestured to the 2 empty seats on his sides. The 2 girls obeyed as they looked at each other and stifled shy smiles.

 

"I thought you said we're having a double date?" A girl asked, looking at Jungkook. And then I noticed her gaze was averted towards me.

 

"Oh, this is my sister." Jungkook pointed awkwardly to me. "Noona this is Yerim."

 

I waved to Yerim in the same awkward manner.

 

"Hey, want some drink? Should I order for you guys?" Vernon said in a friendly tone. "There's a promotion going on, for couples. If we buy 2 drinks of the same flavour, they're going to charge only half of the price on the 2nd drink." He looked upon his date of the day, Joohee.

 

"Umm, Americano?" Joohee made a suggestion. It seemed like that would be the drink for both Hansol and her.

 

I tensed up. "Vernon likes caramel macchiato," I informed. I can't afford to see Vernon drinking something he dislikes.

 

It took me few seconds to realize all attention was on me. Jungkook gave me a discreet smile and a thumb up.

 

Oh this. I need to get all of these attention away from me. "And Jungkook is the one who likes Americano." I informed almost immediately.

 

One look to Vernon and I saw him frowning. One look to Jungkook and he gave me a judging face.

 

"Oh, I like macchiato too!" Yerim butted in. "2 macchiato's and 2 americano's then, Hansol."

 

Before Vernon could walk away, I exclaimed, "And mine would be--"

 

"French Vanilla. On it, noona." Vernon smirked and walked away to the order counter.

 

Sobs. Guys. GUYS. Guys. Vernon knows my favourite drink. Asdfghjkljajajaja

 

I showed my melting face towards Jungkook and he gave me a disapproving look.

 

Few awkward silence later (now I noticed, Jungkook is hopeless with girls), the ray of sunshine that is Vernon returned to us.

 

"We have to wait for 5 minutes for the drink." He announced, "We'll wait and then we can go bowl."

---

YAASS BOWLING! BOW DOWN, PEASANTS FOR I AM THE QUEEN OF THIS KINGDOM!

 

"I hope you guys brought your own socks." I reminded.

 

Vernon beamed, "we all did, noona." Listen to that oh so heart-fluttering voice! Can Vernon stop doing that? Oh Vernon, thou has--

 

"Hey wait!" Jungkook suddenly freaked out as he rummaged his bagpack. "I think I left mine- oh thank you noona!"

 

Yes, as a noona, I have to be prepared. I brought 2 pairs of extra socks in case both Vernon and Jungkook forgot their socks.

 

I left the 4 youngsters and went to the bowling alley ahead of them. Ahhh! My arena!

 

"Oh, it is you! I thought I saw wrongly." A guy approached me. Ooh lala what a hoonam and he approached me of all people? Hang on, where did I see this guy? I think I met him before.

 

I gave him a puzzled look so he can introduced himself. He seemed to get it because the next thing he said was, "Don't you remember me? I am Joy's boyfriend. We went to bowl together, 2 weeks ago if I'm not mistaken."

 

"Oh, Sungjae!" I exclaimed. How could I forgot such an awesome guy to hang out with? Joy is my classmate and sure is a lucky girl to date such a hoonam. "Are you coming with Joy?"

 

"Yeah, I did come here with her but she left for her piano class." He replied kindly. "How about you? Are you bowling alone today? Finally realizing that you're too good for the other bowlers?"

 

I chuckled at his words. "Oh, don't be silly, I'm not that good. Actually I came here with my 2 little brothers and their dates."

 

"Oh, five-wheeling?"

 

"Nope." I grinned. "Chaperoning!"

 

He nodded, "Cool!"

 

"Noona!" Jungkook ran towards me and behind him was Vernon engaging in a conversation with Joohee.

 

"Hi! You must be her brothers." Sungjae said in friendly tone to Jungkook and then he waved to Vernon too.

 

"Sungjae, this is Jungkook and Vernon. That's Joohee and oh, here is Yerim." I introduced the 4 youngsters. "Guys, this is Sungjae, my friend's boyfriend."

 

"Are you guys playing in teams or what?" Sungjae directed the question towards the 2 boys

 

Jungkook shook his head, "No, I think we're just going to play for fun." 

 

"Ey, that's not fun at all. Your noona is one of the best bowlers I've ever met and you're going to just play for fun with her? Go, play in team, fight to get her in your team."

 

"Sungjae!" I widened my eyes to him.

 

Vernon and Jungkook looked at each other warily.

 

"Let's play by team!" Jungkook decided. "Noona, me and Yerim vs Vernon and Joohee."

 

"Hey, not fair 3 vs 2!" Joohee protested.

 

"I have another suggestion!" Sungjae butted in. "You guys vs her." He pointed to me.

 

"For God's sake, Sungjae!" I punched Sungjae in return. Stop this man, someone?

 

He laughed so hard I had to push him away. "Alright, guys, I better leave."

 

With that, he left us.

 

"Noona, come on, be on my team." Vernon begged immediately.

 

"Noona, I'm your brother! Please be on my team." Jungkook begged too.

 

"Let's do it this way then," I paused "girls vs boys."

 

The boys groaned.

 

I lost on purpose for my 2 boys. Okay okay, my team won the 1st and 2nd round but once I saw the boys' devastated faces, I proposed for a final round and that the first 2 rounds doesn't count. I love them enough to not drop their reputation in front of their dates

---

Dinner!

 

"Here, I deshelled the prawns for you." Vernon offered the already prawns to Joohee who gladly received it and mumbled a thank you.

 

I noticed Vernon's was side eyeing me for a moment. Oh, poor baby. So I have to make him think that I am jealous right?

 

I cleared my throat as I began my operation. I looked at Joohee and Yerim, "so I have few questions for both of you..."

 

Jungkook immediately shot me a look and widened his eyes.

---

Immediately after waving goodbye to Yerim and Joohee, Jungkook and I went on separate way from Vernon. He needed to head home early.

 

"You were supposed to act jealous." Jungkook hissed.

 

"Which I did!"

 

"No you didn't! You should've acted like you're their competition not future mother-in-law!"

 

She frowned in confusion.

 

"Seriously 'what can you offer to Hansol?', 'what do your parents do for living?', 'what are your future insight?', what were you doing? Trying to find which one to marry off Hansol with?"

 

"Hey! I was just curious. Vernon and you are supposed to make friends with positive and ambitious people. They grows you up."

 

"Oh you talk as if you're much older than us." Jungkook sounded pissed. "Please noona, you were born in the same year I was born."

 

"I was born 3 months before you."

 

"In the year 1997! Jihyo is older than me but I don't need to call her 'noona'."

 

"We did this argument over and over again Jungkook." I sighed "You're the one who called me noona. And you chose to do so. "

 

Jungkook's eyes averted from mine.

 

"You know why Jihyo is not your noona? Because I am. I am your noona. I am your family. You tried your best to accept me slowly in 9 years and here I am, your noona. For me, after I received the 'noona' title, I did what I could to protect you as an older sister you never had."

 

Silent.

 

"Sorry, noona." Jungkook said. This is why I love Jungkook. He is not egoistic, he always apologizes even though he did nothing wrong.

 

I sighed. "Let's just drop this Vernon subject all together."

 

As soon as I finished my words, he looked at me with eyes widened and gasping, "DROP VERNON? DROP? Seriously drop? Vernon?"

 

"Why are you so surprise?"

 

"Of course I am! I mean, you, drop Vernon? Is it the end of the world already?"

 

"Hey, Vernon is here okay?" I pointed to my heart. "Let's go have a tteokbukki at the stall."

 

"But we've eaten just now."

 

"That was dinner."

 

"It was not even an hour ago!" He turned to her, looking disbelief. 

 

"Well, we're still growing kids, we need food!"

------------------

A/N: FYI, Yerim is Red Velvet's Yeri and is my favourite satan along with Joy. And Joohee is Twice's Tzuyu's Korean name and she is such a bae. I included them here bcs they were both born in 1999 (and both are the apples of my eyes). Oh and 'Jihyo' Jungkook mentioned was actually TWICE's Jihyo. Don't touch any of these girls, they are my babies! I also added in Sungjae and Joy because they have my blessings if they were going to get married for real.

Chapter 3 will be up tmrw!