New Years Eve

One More Chance

“I can’t I got a date tonight,” Luhan explained to the other end of the phone.

“Come on don’t be lame man” said the other person on the line, “I bet you don’t even like her, youre in some desperate need to have a girlfriend because you’re the only one out of your friends without a girl,”

Luhan chucked, maybe it was true, maybe he did feel the need to have a date on new years eve to feel less alone. “I’ll just see you next year man,” Luhan chucked at his oddly brilliant pun.

“Fine, but you’re missing out, the guys miss you,”

“I miss you guys too,” Luhan answered back.

He then hanged up the phone and continued to get ready for work. He put on his most cleanest suit, put some fresh cologne on and prepared his paper work. Luhan isn’t the type to have breakfast, but this morning was an exception. New year meaning new resolution. What was exactly this young bachelors resolution list? Well for starters eat breakfast in the morning, Luhan read somewhere that breakfast helps a lot with morning workouts, second resolution involves Luhan gaining more muscle, sure he has a good body but Luhan wanted more muscle which leads to the last resolution, finally find a girl to bring a to his parents.

Luhan hasn’t brought a girl home since he was in college studying to be a young architecture. Yes he’s had girlfriends in the last eight years but non lasted, non were good enough to meet his family.

This year has been an never ending nag fest from his parents about getting married, finding a girl, bringing her home. For god sakes his only thirty one, yes most of his friends are getting married, some already have kids but he’s living a life most people his age wish they have. He’s dating random woman, he’s not tied down to one girl allowing him to do whatever he wants. 

Admittedly it does affect his insecurities a bit but it’s not the girl that he’s dating, it’s him. He’s usually the one to end it and the reason being is because they are not good enough. Luhan doesn’t know what it is, but he just feels like the girls he dates are not good enough and the nice decent girls his age are already married.

But for the sake of new years, he promises himself that this is the last new years he’ll be single. Next years he not only be 32 but he’ll 32 with a girl under his arm, someone meaningful to kiss at new years.

---

Luhan walked into his lecture this morning feeling confident of the last day of the year. Luhan was a successful professor at Shinwa university, one of the most prestigious college’s in Korea or even Asia.

Luhan graduated college with an architect degree, he loves design and building, what better way to incorporate things he loves into a future career choice. There were so many levels Luhan had to get to get to where he wanted, Luhan had dreams of working around the world. His dream was to building in every continent. Fortunately the infamous successful Xi Luhan achieved his dreams before he reached the age of 27.

He was building buildings for big companies and important clients, he also ran a successful business that runs in 4 different countries (Australia, Canada, USA and China) and one coming soon to Japan. His successful architecture firm is known in the building industry, he’s madly known internationally.  So when he came back to Korea after leaving his homeland for a couple of years, he got a professor job to teach the young ones architect and express his love for it.

Xi made a household name for himself, he is rich (has a net worth of millions), he’s createive, very intelligent and he is a very handsome guy but somehow he’s still single….

Luhan’s 8am lecture was filled up to the very top of the auditorium. It surprised the professor but it didn’t surprise anyone else. 60% of his class are females and 57% are there to on their hot single professor, %5 do not even do Architect. The rest were guys, and they were there solely because they think that professor Xi is an amazing professor, which he was.

Not only did Luhan excelled excellence in building his own firms and conducting it, he has won many teaching awards in the last three years of him being a professor, he is someone you call Mr perfect.

“Okay so now everyone has settled in, lets get started,” Luhan clapped his hands together as he walked to the projector to start his lecture for the day. “So Today is the last day of the year, in New York an famous tradition of the ball dropping every year, where is this particular location located?”

A hand was raised by one of Luhan’s students, “Time square,” A student answered upon Luhan signalizing them to speak.

“Correct, Time Sqaure,” Luhan continued, “Time square is one of New York's famous landmarks, but does anyone know why it is an landmark?”

---

Luhan rolled up at his dates house that evening. He wasn’t joking to his friends that he did have a hot date for tonight. He really can’t be bothered going out tonight after a long day of lecture after lecture. But really he didn’t want to be alone on this significant day. Sure his friends asked him to hang out with them, but Luhan doesn’t want to hang out with his married friends who are bringing their wife out, why would he want to be reminded that he Is the only single guy in his group of friends?

Luhan wasn’t excited nor was he nervous or anything for his date. The feeling was just neutral and he just can’t wait until he goes home and hop into his bed. He saw his date Ari approaching his car, so as a gentleman he got out of his car and opened the door for her and added a compliment to make her feel great.

Luhan was not liar, but nor was he going to not compliment a girl he’s on a date with. Truthfully Luhan has the biggest heart and so much love to give. He was raised with such precision and strictness that came out to grown up to be a gentleman, hence why all these girls fall for him so easily.

“So where are you taking me tonight?” Ari asked. Ari was a girl Luhan met at his local dentist. He goes in for regular check up and Ari is a receptionist, I guess you can see where this is going. Luhan chatted her up and before he knew it he scored a date with her on New years eve.

“I got a place,” Luhan suggested and drove off.

They arrived a fancy Italian restaurant. From the outside looking in you can see that this was every guy/ girl’s dream date. Arriving to a fancy restaurant with a really expensive Mercedes, an attractive guy with an smoky hot girl under his arm, what more is asked?

However Luhan wasn’t really enjoying it, the amount of times he has bought a girl to this same old restaurant, the amount of times Luhan has been on dates. He was getting bored of dating, he wanted something more then just dating.

“So hows being a receptionist?” Luhan asked Ari.

“I love it, I love meeting new people everyday,” Ari answered with fully enthusiasm. Luhan could see how excited she was with the date as she was just so enthusiastic over everything from the moment he picked her up.

---

2 hours later

“WHATTTTT WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE,” Kai yelled at the top of his lungs as he saw Luhan approach their table of drinks. Luhan’s high school friends, Kai, Sehun, Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Lay were all there drinking the night away, well what they have left of 2015.

“Hey guys,” Luhan greeted everyone with a friendly man hug and high fives. Everyone was so excited to see Luhan, finally after weeks of convincing him he finally made it out to the club with less then twenty minutes before 2015 ends, a great effort from Luhan.

From the eagerness and interest in Luhan’s presence, he was sure that everyone was very drunk already and that he has a lot of catching up to do. Well no problem for sure. It didn’t take Luhan long to settle in, within seconds the boys already sat him down and gave him a shot of heavy alcohol. “What happened to the hot date?” Kai asked as he remembered that morning on the phone Luhan told him about his date.

“Ahhh, her,” Luhan made a face, not because of his disastrous date but because from the taste of the strong alcohol he was just given. “She was too self absorb,”

“Why what did she do?” Curious Chanyeol asked.

“She kept talking about her, her receptionist job, her dogs, her apartment,” Luhan answered before he took another shot.

“It’s a date idiot,” Baehyun chucked with the others, you're meant to talk about yourself,” But Luhan couldn’t agree, he shook his head already feeling the alcohol getting to him. Never has he been so eager to get drunk, “No she was just about me, me, me, and I don’t want to take her to my parents and let them meet this self absorb girl,” Luhan explained.

“Come on,” Lay patted Luhan’s back, “I’m sure she wasn’t that bad,”

“She also had a lot of make up,” Luhan continued to diss this girl, already Luhan was heavily under the influence, “She kept annoying about why I took her to restaurant this fancy, like why can’t I take a girl out to a fancy restaurant isn’t that what girls want? There wasn’t any catch, I’m not trying to sleep with her god dammit!”

“So in other words she’s not good enough?” Sehun asked.

“Knocked the words out of my mouth,” Luhan cheered Sehun for that and shot another shot of alcohol.

“So you ditched your date and then came here?” Baekhyun asked.

“Nah took her home, she was confused why I took her home early oh well,” Luhan chuckled with the other guys finding the situation hilarious. “Look I just want a nice cool girl is that too much too ask for?,”

“But no girl is good enough for you man,” Chanyeol continued, “You’re still comparing girls to that girl you dated in college,”

Yes the boys remember the first time Luhan fell in love. It was during their college days, they all went to the same college and it was those glorious times that no one will ever forget. The guys remember her perfectly because the day Luhan let her go was the day they never heard the end of it, the day he has always regret.

They say first loves are forever, and for Luhan’s case hes never going to get over this girl because after 8 years he’s still comparing girls to her. “Look she was a great woman!” Luhan drunkenly said.  “ She was everything I wanted in a girl and I had to ruin in,” Luhan explained almost tipping a glassed jug of alcohol over, luckily Sehun was there to catch the jug before it fully fell off the table.

Lay and Kai both rolled their eyes, for years they have been telling Luhan to get over this girl but along the 8 years they just gave up. “She was beautiful inside and out,” Luhan continued.

“Where is she now?” Sehun asked.

“I heard she’s married,” Baekhyun answered,

“She doesn’t even have facebook, I’ve tried searching her,” Lay added.

“She’s probably married,” Chanyeol suggested, “Probably with kids to, not surprised if she married young, she was really pretty that she won’t stay long in the single market,”

Luhan shrugged, “Well at least she’s happy and that is all I could ask for her,”

“Who knows man,” Kai tried to cheer Luhan up, “She might be still single, remember she was never into dating, she even told you when you guys broke up that she doesn’t want to eve have a boyfriend again because she doesn’t want to be hurt,”

“Who knows you might see her in 2016,” Sehun suggest. Luhan tried to smile but he doubt it. It’s like she disappeared to the face of the earth. He’s tried to look her up, if she wasn’t married it would be easy because she would have kept her maiden name, so obviously she’s married. She would have also moved countries, she always told Luhan that she didn’t want to just stay in Seoul, she always wanted to travel and live in didn’t countries so she would have defiantly left the country by now.

It was nice of Sehun to suggest it, but you don’t get everything you want.

Unless a miracle occurred,

Or a crazy thing called faith and destiny.

“Guys the countdown is beginning,” Lay pointed out to the screens of this noisy club. The group of boys watched the countdown to the new year to begin,

10

 

9

 

8

“Please let this be the last year I am single,” Luhan closed his eyes and whispered to himself

6

 

5

Luhan stepped back to give his friends a little more room on the table.

4

He felt he bumped into the person behind him

3

“Oh my gosh I’m sorry!” The person he bumped into replied

2

Luhan turned around to apologize as well,

1

Luhan and the boys all found themselves looking widely at this girl Luhan bumped into and no attention was bought to the fact that they just entered the new year. Every one was too busy cheering while the six guys stared at this girl.

“Yoona there you are! Happy New years!!!!!!” Yuri went up to her best friend and gave her a big hug.

Yoona didn’t react, she was too concentrated with what is infront of her. Yuri noticed her best friend wasn’t reacting to the hug, so she let go and to sus out what was distracting Yoona. Yuri slowly turned around to see six familiar faces.

 

After eight years, was the first time Yoona and Luhan met again.
 

and it was like college days again