Broken Heart Syndrome

One More Chance

Yoona her coffee maker as it began to produce the coffee for the day. Multi tasking was her best attribute, as she gathered her belongings, paper work and tried to eat breakfast while listening to the news before she speeds off to work.

“And what will you do in 2016?”

Yoona looked up to the TV as she poured her brewed coffee into a mug and took a sip of it.

“I’m going to stop eating fatty foods and loose weight,” an interviewee replied to the question asked by the reporter on the TV. Yoona chuckled to herself while taking another sip of her coffee. She would give the poor girl a few days before she breaks that resolution.

With only hours before the new year, Yoona had no time to even think of a new resolution with the busy schedule she has at work. To her a new years resolutions is something people say they’ll do but never do it. It was stupid to think that just because it’s the new year people should have this dramatic change, no, that’s not how life runs. Everyday, people change and there is no point in saying one will change in the new year because the truth is everyone changes everyday which is never ending.

It was time to leave, even though Yoona has another 45 minutes before her shift at the hospital starts, she must leave to avoid Seoul morning traffic. Especially on the last day of 2015, the traffic is going to be crazy.

Like every morning, Yoona drove into the underground parking lot, parked her car in her reserved area and walked by the reception to be greeted by the receptionist just like every morning. Yoona’s daily routine consisted of herself entering her office, communicating to the nurses and seeing her patients for the day.

Yes Yoona is a doctor, a cardiologist to be exact. She's a doctor that specializes for the heart. She is one of Seoul’s known doctors, everyone in the medical field knows Yoona as one of the most successful and youngest cardiologist. She was pretty, intelligent, rich, has great fashion sense but what other doctors and nurses did not understand why is she still single?

They have experienced the 30 year old go on several dates, but the Monday following the date when they see her in her office and ask how the date went. Yoona would just shrug her shoulders as if she wasn’t easily amused.

That’s the thing, Yoona wasn’t into the whole dating experience at all. She has a bad case of workcoholism where she is a victim of being a workaholic. She loves her job and has great passion to achieve it but right now work is what she will prioritize. 

“Dr. Im, its patient’s Zhang’s check up time,” Nurse Yuri indicated to Yoona. Yuri is Yoona’s best friend since high school. Actually, Yuri is the one who recommended Yoona to the hospital that enable her to get a job straight after graduation.

It’s been almost four years since Yoona started working with Yuri at the hospital and those three years have been a blast. Who doesn’t want to work their dream job with their best friend?

Yoona followed Yuri to the patient. “So why is patient Zhang admitted to hospital again? I thought all was fine with her check up last week?” Yoona confusingly stated as she check the records of the young 19 year old patient. Alexia Zhang was a half Chinese, half Korean, born into the silver spoon of her family. Yoona has been her doctor for more then a year now, and together the two have gotten along so well. Alexia was also born with severe heart condition that triggers an abnormal pace of the heartbeat when the body is in a form of any over emotional state. It is a serious condition that can trigger the heart to burst and instantly shutdown when overworked which can lead to death. This is where Yoona’s specialty comes into place. 

“I only just got her half an hour ago,” Yuri explained to Yoona. “But from the records, I know that she arrived in emergency room in the early hours of the morning. She had a fast heart rate as seen on the record that caused her feel nausea. Lucky Dr Jung was here to help patient Zhang. He gave her oxygen and IV drips just like you did last time she had an attack, which eventually calm her down. Now she’s in her own room requested by her parents and her parents are waiting for you to give the verdict of what can be done next,”

Yoona nodded her head in understanding Yuri. Not only do Yuri and Yoona have a strong friendship of more then 15 years the two make one hell of a team when it comes to saving their patients. Friendship goals right?

Yoona entered her patients room with Yuri to see her awake patient along with her parents by her side looking worried as ever. “Ah nice to see you again Alexia, but not so nice to see you here in a critical condition,” Yoona chuckled as Alexia looked down to her lap feeling guilty.

“I hope you are alright? I heard it was an intense night last night,” Yoona turned to the patient’s parents assuring that they are alright. No parent would like to see their daughter in so much distress.

“Yes, well we are glad Lexi is in a better condition now and now you are here she’s in good hands,” Mr Zhang smiled as the doctor nodded in pleased that they are alright after the traumatic experience that took place the night before. “Okay so let’s take a look with your heart miss Alexia,” Yoona explained focusing her attention back to her patient. “Do you know what caused your attack yesterday?” Yoon asked as she reviewed through the paper work written from the night before.

Alexia just shook her head, but Yoona was not convinced.

“I need to know so I can do tests and figure out ways we can stop it form happening again,” Yoona explained in a graceful way as she sat down on the chair next to the patients bed. She really knew how to talk to people, get people to trust her. It was in how she treated people, how she saw everyone as equal. She didn't degrade anyone because of her college degree, Yoona was easily liked because she was was nice inside and out. “I want you to get better so you can have a normal life, that's what every doctor wants, their patient to suppress their fight with their health problems,”

Alexia still didn’t say anything, nor can she look at her doctor’s eyes even when she’s reaching down to her level. After a few seconds without hear any answer, Yoona thought it was best to kick the patient’s parents out of her room.

“But why?” a worried mother of the patient asked.

“I just need to run some medical test on your daughter, it’s policy that we can’t distribute the medical results until we fully know what is going on, you know the drill.” Yoona explained. 
As it has happened many times before, the parents of the patient had no choice but to leave the room, wait outside and hope for the best that the medical tests come out with good results.

When the Mrs and Mr Zhang were gone, Yoona focused her back to her patient, as Yuri changed her IV drips. “Alexia,” Yoona said in a calming matter, “I have been studying to be a doctor since I was eighteen years old, meaning I have been in this medical field for 12 years. I know for sure that an attack such as the one you had last night did not just happen. What caused you to have such a bad reaction?”

Still Alexia couldn’t tell her, instead she looked away to hide the tear rolling down her face. Yoona could tell that this was much deeper then she thought it would be, so she reached for the patients hand trying to make her feel comfortable. “Alexia, I’m your doctor please tell me, I wont-“

“He broke up with me,” Alexia whispered catching the attention of Yuri and Yoona. Yoona looked deeper into Alexia and turned her face to her view. There she saw a red faced Alexia caused by the tears she just shed. “My boyfriend of a year broke up with me,”

Yoona then knew that was the cause of Alexia’s attack. See Alexia has a condition where she can’t be too happy, too sad or have any extravagant emotion, which triggers her heart to loose a beat. A break up can cause all these emotions of pain, anger or sadness causing the attack. “What happened?” Yoona asked. She knew that for the last year Alexia has a boyfriend as she has listened about him during her check ups and met him a couple of times when he accompanied Alexia to her check ups. “He decided he didn’t love me anymore,” Alexia paused to gather the breath to speak . “I really thought he was the one and I thought we were going to get married, I thought he was going to be at my college graduation, He was my first boyfriend and now I lost him as that and as a best friend and it hurts so bad,” Yoona gripped tighter onto the girl’s hand.

This infront of her reminded her of an younger version of herself. She could see the pain in Alexia’s eyes, and that reminded her of that one time. Yoona wouldn’t have predicted that this was how it was going to turn up, the times she met the boy he was constantly making sure Alexia was okay. Yoona could see the love between the two and it was really transpiring. The young love that shared was something Yoona always adored.

“I don’t know how will I get over it, and it doesn’t help my heart is acting up because of it,” Alexia explained.

“I don’t think it’s the heart condition you have that caused this attack, I mean I’ll run some test to make sure,” Yoona continued. “You see when a heart is broken, it’s equivalent to an arm breaking, You just suffered from a broken heart syndrome and you condition decided to trigger to the pain you were in with your broken heart. This is weird for me to say, but your heart is broken metaphorically and physically and as your doctor all I can say is that you will get over it, it just takes time,”

“How long?” Alexia asked, “Months, years?”

“I don’t know, depends how broken your heart truly is, how much you really like him or how long it takes for you to wake up and realize that you don't deserve this pain. One day you’ll wake up and you’ll notice your heart is completely healed, and trust me you’ll just know,”

“Have you ever gotten your heart broken?” Alexia asked. This caught Yuri’s attention as this was probably the first time she was going to hear about it in years. She looked at Yoona who was gazing from the distance,  she knew exactly what her best friend was thinking, and she could feel that her heart wasn’t healed yet but she was too scared to tell the young girl just incase Alexia looses hope.

“I do,” Yoona continued, “I was around your age maybe a little older, he broke my heart too because he woke up one day and realize he doesn’t love me anymore as well,”

“Was it hard to get over?”

“It was the most painful experience I have ever coped and it still is to this day,” Yoona explained.

“Did you get over it?”

Yoona gazed onto the patients eyes, not knowing what to say. She wanted to give the girl hope and hopefully she will get over it quicker then her but her words couldn’t come out of .

“Dr. Im, its time for your 10am meeting,” one of the nurses barged into the room indicating Yoona that she must leave for her meeting. Yoona nodded silently as she took down notes before she left. “Hey, you’re only 19, there don’t focus on boys because it’s not going to get you far in life, education will that's what helped me with my breakup,” Yoona smiled as she walked off to attend her meeting.

Yuri just finished changing the IV drops, “I’ll be back in a few hours to give your lunch and I will tell your parents they can come in now,” Yuri smiled at her patient.

“Nurse Yuri,” Alexia called as Yuri turned around. “Has Dr Im’s heart healed?”

Yuri smiled, “I honestly do not know,”

---

It was lunch time and there in the cafeteria at the hospital Yoona sat eating her lunch for the day. She was approached by Yuri and Minho who sat the directly across from Yoona. Minho is nurse for the cardiology department with Yuri, he is a very close friend of Yoona and is currently dating Yuri for the last two years. 

“So how did the meeting go?” Yuri asked in a happy tone, while Minho her boyfriend was taking out the Sandwich from her lunch box and unwrapped it for her. It was a normal activity for them that Yoona has gotten use to being the third wheel that she doesn't bother complaining anymore. “It was boring, the usual but apparently we are renovating some parts of the cardiology department within the next few weeks. I'm going to have a meeting within he architect and the engineer incharge of this new renovation,” Yoona huffed as she took a bite of her fruit salad.
 
Minho cutely fed his girlfriend her sandwhich and moments later Yuri did the same while make cutesy airplane noises. Yoona just rolled her eyes, really? Why do they have to disturb her during her eating time with their couple stuff. “Ah don’t act so bitter,” Yuri pointed out as she saw Yoona roll her eyes form the corner of her eye. “You know for new years your resolution should be is that you get a boyfriend so you’ll be less bitter with yourself,”

“I told you guys I’m in a relationship with my job, what more can I ask for,” Yoona explained for the hundred time since the other two cannot comprehend the thought of Yoona not wanting anyone. Just because they are in a happy relationship doesn't mean Yoona wanted to join that band wagon. “You can’t sleep with your job, you cant go on dates with your job and you can’t celebrate anniversary’s with your job. So no you are not in a relationship with your job,” yuri pointed out, really roasting her friend.

“But I don’t need a boyfriend!” Yoona explained once again.

“Are you even going to go out for new years eve this year? Or are you going to watch drama’s from your apartment again?” Minho asked.

“Let see, I don’t have to dress up to watch drama’s and I do if I go out clubbing. I think watching drama’s win for this year,” the couple roll their eyes with Yoona’s plan. Was she serious of staying in for new years for the 10th year in a row?

“Look I understand back in college you had assignments, I mean you were a medicine student it was understandable why you had to miss new years celebrations but its been four years since you graduated and you still don’t want to go out?” Yoona nodded in response to Yuri.

“Please I’ll do anything,” Minho begged, “Just come out, I’ve never seen a drunk Dr Im,”

“No no and no, no matter what I’m not going out at all so please don’t pester me because I’ve made up my mind,” Yoona explained as she wasn’t going to tolerate the pestering anymore.

“Fine!” Yuri gave up. “By the way I’m engage,” she muttered under her breath.

Yoona looked up from her food as she saw Yuri pretending as if she didn’t say anything, “You what?” Yoona asked her to repeat what she just said just incase she heard wrong. “I’m engage,” Yuri repeated it and this time flashing the ring in her hand.

“WHAT!” Yoona screamed making the whole cafeteria of doctors and workers looking at her. “You are showing more emotion when it comes to convincing me to come out clubbing for new years but when it comes to getting engage with this Minho you just drop a bomb shell like that with no type of emotion?”

Yuri just shrugged her shoulders as Minho laughed at the little bickering going on between the two. He has always loved watching the two bicker as it was always entertaining to him. “Yeah I was going to tell everyone tonight when we go clubbing but since you’re not going I will just tell you now,” Yuri lifelessly explained as bit another bite into her sandwhich.

“Fine, I’ll go,” Yoona hesitated as she felt bad knowing Yuri would have wanted everyone to hear it all at the same time and now she just ruined her plans for the surprise. Yoona’s decision on going made Yuri and Minho cheer and delight.

“But the engagement is real?” Yoona has to ask just incase this was all a scam to convince her into going.

“No I am engage!”Yuri assured

“That means I’m the maid of honor?” Yoona asked.

“Of course silly!”

“AHHHH I SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS,” Yoona Gleed as she reached over to her two friends and gave them the biggest congratulatory hug. “Will celebrate tonight!”

Never in the fifteen years Yuri has seen Yoona  so excited for something apart from the day she graduate from medicine school and the day that one guy confessed to her.