CHAPTER II

ANSWER ME 2016

“Hey! Look what I found!” Hoseok walks into the practice room while holding his phone

They are all gathering in the room after practicing for their comeback stage. Yoongi is resting his head on Jimin’s shoulder meanwhile Jimin is resting his head on Namjoon’s shoulder. The rest are busy with their own phone. Taehyung is sitting in the corner meanwhile Jungkook and Jin are lying on the floor.

“What is it?” Jin gets up and reach a bottle of water

“Netizen Suspect BTS’ Kim Taehyung and Red Velvet’s Irene Are Dating” Hoseok reads the headline on his phone

“It’s been thrice now.” Jin takes Hoseok’s phone ‘Taehyung-ssi,I guess you two are being too perfect for each other that netizens keep shipping you two.”

Taehyung who doesn’t pay attention at all,just giving a small smile.

“And look at this ‘They Are Caught Stealing A Glance At Each Other On The Stage’.” Namjoon adds up

“Does that even make sense?” Jimin who’s been listening all this time,finally speaks up “I keep stealing a glance at Jungkook on the stage. Why don’t they suspect us?”

“Because you got no jams. That’s why.” Namjoon looks at Jimin who still rests his head on Namjoon’s shoulder

“Hyung..it’s been 2016 and you still throw that kind of joke?” Taehyung asks while smiling

“I am stating a fact,tho.” Namjoon answers followed by Jimin’s ‘Hey!’

“Anyway,wouldn’t tomorrow be awkward for you and Irene? We’ll be on the same stage tomorrow.” Hoseok looks at Taehyung meanwhile Taehyung just shrugs

“Ahhh..how exhausting. Jimin-ah,let’s sleep.” Taehyung stands up

“Guess I would be sleeping here. Yoongi hyung seems tired and I just couldn’t wake him up.” Jimin looks at Yoongi who sleeps soundly on his shoulder

“Yeah” Namjoon stands up “He seems exhausted and doesn’t get enough sleep lately. Just let him sleep soundly.”

“Kookie,wanna sleep with me?” Taehyung looks at the maknae who’s still scrolling through his phone

“I wanna stay here longer.” He answers without getting his eyes off from the phone screen

“Okay then.” Taehyung stares at the maknae “Don’t stay up all night,okay?”

Jungkook just nods. He let out a sigh as soon as the lamp is turned off.

 

Yoongi wakes up in the darkness. He takes his phone and turns it on. He almost drops his phone when he saw someone sits in the corner.

“Ya! Jungkook! What are you doing? What time is it now? Where are we?” Yoongi ask in confusion

“I am sitting as you can see. It is 10 pm and we are in the practice room.” Jungkook gives a detailed answer “And don’t be so loud. Jimin hyung is sleeping next to you.”

Yoongi quickly flashes the light from his phone screen toward his right side. Jimin is seen curling up his body. Yoongi takes off his jacket and put it on Jimin’s body.

“Why is he sleeping here?” Yoongi ask Jungkook in a low voice

“Because you slept on his shoulder. He didn’t want to wake you up.”

Yoongi nods. There’s a smile on his face “And why are you still here? Jimin is here and this is your chance to sleep with your favorite hyung.”

Jungkook stops scrolling through his phone for seconds before continue scrolling. “I am not sleepy. That’s why.”

Yoongi keeps his eyes on the maknae. He knows something is happening. “Let’s go to Youngjae’s coffee shop. Hyung will treat you.”

Jungkook stares at his hyung for several seconds before hesitately nods “What about Jimin hyung?” 

Yoongi looks at sleeping Jimin “He’ll be okay. Even an earthquake wouldn’t wake him up. C’mon!”

==================

“Hyung,you come here every night?” Jungkook looks around the cafe. It is already 10.30 now but there are still many customers here. Most of them are sitting alone

Yoongi nods “This is my first time coming here before midnight. Such a great record.”

Jungkook laughs “Yeah. And this is my first time drinking coffee at 10 pm. Such a great record.”

“That’s because you always stuck with Taehyung. Look! You hang out with hyung for the first time and you already experienced new thing.”

Jungkook smiles this time “I’ll spend more time with you,then.”

“You can’t.” Yoongi drinks his espresso “You’ve fallen under Taehyung’s spell.”

Jungkook doesn’t say anything. He looks down and drinks his coffee

“I don’t understand why Taehyung can’t see it. It is so obvious.”

Jungkook looks at the older “Huh?”

“It is so obvious that you love Taehyung.” Yoongi stretches his body “The way you look at him. The way you act around him. The way you always take care of him. The way you acted when Jin hyung said him and Irene seem perfect to each other. It is so obvious. Yet,that alien can’t see it.”

Jungkook stays still for a minute. He was shocked knowing his hyung figured out everything. He never expected someone would know the feeling that he’s been hiding deep down inside his heart for two years. He takes a sip of the americano “Then what about Jimin hyung? Isn’t he blind too?”

Yoongi who was about to drink the coffee,stops and look at the maknae “What do you mean?”

Jungkook smiles seeing the shocked expression of his hyung “Isn’t it obvious,too? The way you treat Jimin hyung gently. When you said you want to make a song for him. The way you always smile when Jimin hyung acts all cute. It is so obvious. Yet,Jimin hyung can’t see it.”

Yoongi stays still for a minute before drinking his coffee “Is that a revenge?”

Jungkook laughs “Whoaa. What a relief! I’ve been keeping this thought for myself for a year and now I  finally told you.”

Yoongi smiles and raises his cup “Let’s cheer for our untold feeling.”

Jungkook reaches for his almost empty coffee cup “For our sad story.”

They both laugh over their sorrow.

Sometimes the only thing that people can do about the heartbreak is by laughing at it to cover the pain and to fool themselves.

===============

Yoongi walks toward the practice room by himself after drinking coffees with Jungkook. It is 11 pm and everyone’s asleep,including the maknae who went straight to their dorm after the sorrowful confession. But Yoongi’s still wide awake. He gets into the practice room and finding Jimin is still asleep

He sits next to the younger and leans his head on the wall. There’s barely a light in the room but he can see the reflection on the mirror.

“Ya! Taehyung! Put that thing down now or we’ll get scolded by Yoongi hyung!”

Yoongi looks at the owner of the voice. Jimin is talking in his sleep again.

He laughs hearing what Jimin said. But the laughter slowly turns into sob. He put the earphone on and scrolls through the playlist on his phone. He leans his head on the wall again as soon as the music starts playing. He slowly closes his eyes while hoping the music will take away the pain. But it doesn’t work. The pain is getting intense. He let out a small sigh and pulls out a medicine from the pocket of his jeans.

He reaches for a bottle of water as soon as he swallows the pills.

The sob is drowned by the ticks of the clock and the sound of the cars that pass by.