004

Mutually Beneficial
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark stared at her with wide eyes.

"Well, okay, kind of. We'll get married, but not married-married. I overheard you saying something about your parents not handing over the company unless you got married. Well, it just happens that my parents won't get off my back about marriage either. You aren't interested in relationships and neither am I." Seulki started pacing. "I'm from a pretty good background and our parents know each other. It won't be so weird for us to 'date' or 'get married' would it? We can divorce in a year or two and we both win." Seulki spilled out rapidly. "Honestly, it's a mutally beneficial deal so I don't know why you wouldn't accept. You don't have to answer now. I can wait." She quickly turned her heel, ready to run away in embarassment. Mark was looking at her like she was crazy and she wanted to take some time to prepare herself for the eventual rejection. So stupid! This was a bad idea. What will he think of me? What if he tells everyone? I'm soooo stupid.

Right as she took two steps, Mark grabbed her arm. "Wait!"

She bit her lip and slowly turned around. You don't have to answer now! She sheepishly looked up at him.

"I accept." Mark tucked both hands into his pockets. "I accept your offer."

Seulki felt her jaw drop a little. "Uhh...okay. Cool." She entwined her hands and rocked on the balls of her feet. "So...now what?"

"Let's come up with a plan?" Mark scratched the back of his head. "How long should this marriage last? It should be believable and we obviously can't get married right away. We have to have a dating period first."

"So you want to come up with a timeline?" Seulki pursed her lips. "A year or two of marriage? Oh, I know! How about we 'date' for about 6 months, quickly get married, stay married for a year, then divorce."

Mark nodded. "Okay. Make it seem like we're crazy in love then in over our heads?"

"But I also want it to be like I'm so heartbroken over our divorce that my parents never bother me about a relationship again. Would one year be enough?"

"How about we just figure it out as it goes?" Mark sighed.

"Okay. Great." She grabbed her arm awkwardly.

"Should we...should we start now?" Mark asked, unsure of what to do now. "I think people already started gossiping when we left the party together."

"Yeah, if we start now the earlier we can get this over with." Seulki smiled up at him. "Please be kind to me." She held out her hand. Mark brought his out and shook hers, solidifying the deal. "And just to be clear so there are no misunderstandings, there are no feelings behind this deal."

"Agreed." Mark placed her hand on his arm. "Now, let's go back to the party, girlfriend."

Seulki took in a sigh of relief. This crazy plan is actually happening. She put on her brightest, love-struck smile as the entered the party again.

Mark turned his face towards her and beckoned her closer. "Lean in and whisper with me. It'll make us seem more intimate." Seulki did as he said and threw in giggle for good measure. She tried to avoid the eyes staring at them, pretending that Mark was all she saw.

Mark raised his eyebrows. "Are you sure you've never dated. You seem really good at this."

"I watch a lot of movies." Seulki laughed. She bit her lip and brought her face closer to Mark's. "Our parents are looking. Bring your face closer." Mark did as he was told and flashed her a killer smile. "Are YOU sure you've never dated?"

"Why?" Mark asked, touching her forehead with his and shutting his eyes.

"You're

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter